What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (1 Viewer)

just got the Motorola Droid phone yesterday. I'm looking for a good calendar/organizer app. can anybody recommend something? I want something that has calendar, tasks, to do list, notepad, and maybe contacts, and I want it to sync up either to an online web service or to a desktop app so that I can update things both on my phone and online/desktop.anybody know of such a thing? or am I better off just syncing up with the Google suite of products (GMail, Google Calendar, GDocs, Contacts, etc.)?
I just sync with Google since I was already using their services, but another option is using HTC Sync to sync with Outlook.

just got the Motorola Droid phone yesterday. I'm looking for a good calendar/organizer app. can anybody recommend something? I want something that has calendar, tasks, to do list, notepad, and maybe contacts, and I want it to sync up either to an online web service or to a desktop app so that I can update things both on my phone and online/desktop.anybody know of such a thing? or am I better off just syncing up with the Google suite of products (GMail, Google Calendar, GDocs, Contacts, etc.)?
I just sync with Google since I was already using their services, but another option is using HTC Sync to sync with Outlook.
does Google have a desktop app where you can update tasks, calendar, etc, or is it online only?

does Google have a desktop app where you can update tasks, calendar, etc, or is it online only?
As far as I know it's all online.

Looks like firmware version 2.1 is starting to roll out for the eris. Some users have already reported theirs has updated.

Looks like firmware version 2.1 is starting to roll out for the eris. Some users have already reported theirs has updated.
2.1 release notes for the Motorola Droid below. Anyone check this out yet?
From time-to-time, Motorola releases updates to enhance the overall performance of its phones. The Android 2.1 software update for DROID by Motorola provides new multimedia features, exciting new widgets, and a security upgrade.

We encourage you to immediately install this latest software update once you receive the notification on your device. This will ensure optimal performance of your DROID by Motorola.

Who Can Use This Release

All DROID by Motorola users.

DROID by Motorola users will receive a notification to install this update (and will continue to receive these notices periodically until installation is complete). NOTE: Turning your device off and on will automatically launch the upgrade installation.

After downloading and installing Android 2.1 software release, you will notice:

Voice Recognition for Virtual Keyboard

Voice Recognition: You can now speak in plain English instead of typing, whenever a text-entry box appears on your Android device. Simply swipe your finger across the virtual keyboard and dictate your phrase.

Virtual Keyboard Enhancements: The fully integrated, enlarged virtual keyboard allows for easier and more accurate manual entries as well. Also included are auto-complete/correct.

3D Gallery

3D Gallery offers a whole new way to enjoy your phone’s multimedia features. With 3D gallery, all of your photos, videos, album art and images from your Picasa Web albums account online are displayed in three-dimensional stacks that gently move as the phone is tilted. Scrolling through and choosing media has never been easier. With 3D gallery simply use your finger to scroll through thumbnail versions of all your photos, videos and albums – and when you find one you want – simply tap the image to select it for viewing or playback. You can share pics individually or in bulk (by long-pressing a photo) on Facebook, Email, or MMS.

Pinch-to-Zoom

Enjoy pinch-to-zoom functionality for web browsing, plus the Gallery and Maps applications

News and Weather App and Widget

The News and Weather app pulls information from the web and brings it to your fingertips. Weekly and hourly weather forecast for your area based on your location and it pulls news headlines on the topics you care about most.

Google Maps Updates

Sync with desktop: synchronizes starred items between Google Maps on your Android device and maps.google.com.

Personalized suggestions: Google Maps on your Android device suggests (autocompletes) locations based on your personal search history on maps.google.com.

Night mode: automatically changes your screen at night for easier viewing and driving

Note: Sync feature requires user to be logged in to myGoogle account while on maps.google.com

Enhanced Music Application

New tabs at the top of your music player for easier access and navigation to your favorite artist, songs, albums and playlists.

Google Goggles App

Google Goggles App allows you to snap a picture to start a Google search. It can also ”read” photos of business cards and add them to your contacts. Even cooler is its built-in augmented reality feature that displays information about things, like stores and restaurants, around you.

Other Enhancements

Security: Prevents unauthorized pattern lock bypass

Yahoo email: Yahoo email new accounts setup optimizations

Battery life: ongoing battery life optimization

Additional Information

* For a successful installation, we recommend installing these updates while the battery in your phone is fully charged

* Once upgrade message appears on notification you can either choose to “accept” or “postpone”.

* Once you “accept” the update, your phone will download the new 2.1 Android software. When “download is complete” message appears, your device will reset. This process typically takes a few minutes.

* Note: You will not be able place or receive calls during upgrade installation

* There is no charge for this upgrade, other than the usual connection costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone know when adobe/flash is gonna be released?
Best I could find:
According to Adobe, the player is on track for the delivery to consumers during the first half of the year.
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/a...HOSKH4ATMY32JVN
The HTC Android phones with Sense already support Flash Lite. This includes the Hero and Droid Eris. But the full version of Flash won't hit for Android until Adobe releases it and even then I'm not sure if it will live up to expectations. A fully functional Flash client on a mobile device requires a lot of resources.

Bought a droid today (Motorola Android or whatever)

Just downloaded up an nes emulator.

I am now playing old school nintendo games on the droid... freaking awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
From time-to-time, Motorola releases updates to enhance the overall performance of its phones. The Android 2.1 software update for DROID by Motorola provides new multimedia features, exciting new widgets, and a security upgrade.

We encourage you to immediately install this latest software update once you receive the notification on your device. This will ensure optimal performance of your DROID by Motorola.

Who Can Use This Release

DROID by Motorola users will receive a notification to install this update (and will continue to receive these notices periodically until installation is complete). NOTE: Turning your device off and on will automatically launch the upgrade installation.

Voice Recognition: You can now speak in plain English instead of typing, whenever a text-entry box appears on your Android device. Simply swipe your finger across the virtual keyboard and dictate your phrase.

Virtual Keyboard Enhancements: The fully integrated, enlarged virtual keyboard allows for easier and more accurate manual entries as well. Also included are auto-complete/correct.

3D Gallery

3D Gallery offers a whole new way to enjoy your phone’s multimedia features. With 3D gallery, all of your photos, videos, album art and images from your Picasa Web albums account online are displayed in three-dimensional stacks that gently move as the phone is tilted. Scrolling through and choosing media has never been easier. With 3D gallery simply use your finger to scroll through thumbnail versions of all your photos, videos and albums – and when you find one you want – simply tap the image to select it for viewing or playback. You can share pics individually or in bulk (by long-pressing a photo) on Facebook, Email, or MMS.

Pinch-to-Zoom

Enjoy pinch-to-zoom functionality for web browsing, plus the Gallery and Maps applications

The News and Weather app pulls information from the web and brings it to your fingertips. Weekly and hourly weather forecast for your area based on your location and it pulls news headlines on the topics you care about most.

Google Maps Updates

Sync with desktop: synchronizes starred items between Google Maps on your Android device and maps.google.com.

Personalized suggestions: Google Maps on your Android device suggests (autocompletes) locations based on your personal search history on maps.google.com.

Night mode: automatically changes your screen at night for easier viewing and driving

Note: Sync feature requires user to be logged in to myGoogle account while on maps.google.com

New tabs at the top of your music player for easier access and navigation to your favorite artist, songs, albums and playlists.

Google Goggles App

Google Goggles App allows you to snap a picture to start a Google search. It can also ”read” photos of business cards and add them to your contacts. Even cooler is its built-in augmented reality feature that displays information about things, like stores and restaurants, around you.

Other Enhancements

Additional Information

* For a successful installation, we recommend installing these updates while the battery in your phone is fully charged

* Once upgrade message appears on notification you can either choose to “accept” or “postpone”.

* Once you “accept” the update, your phone will download the new 2.1 Android software. When “download is complete” message appears, your device will reset. This process typically takes a few minutes.

The turning my phone off/on didn't automatically download the new software update for me.

Who Can Use This Release

3D Gallery

Pinch-to-Zoom

Google Maps Updates

Google Goggles App

Other Enhancements

Additional Information

The turning my phone off/on didn't automatically download the new software update for me.
I haven't gotten it either, I think this was a false alarm a couple weeks back.

Who Can Use This Release

3D Gallery

Pinch-to-Zoom

Google Maps Updates

Google Goggles App

Other Enhancements

Additional Information

I haven't gotten it either, I think this was a false alarm a couple weeks back.
Root it, you can always go back to stock.

Istockmanager works great with my ameritrade account.

getting my friends to get a free gmail account so we can use google chat instead of text messages. We save by not paying for unlimited text

Root it, you can always go back to stock.
This....I rooted mine and installed a new ROM (it was actually pretty easy to do).

Have 5 screens now instead of three, a ton of new cool features and an easy restore option.
I did the same over the weekend. Wow the droid is so much faster now. Also upgraded to the 2.1 firmware.

Rooting and installing the ROMs wasn't that tough but it did take me a couple hours to do everything. Mostly because I was going slow and double checking I followed the directions exactly.

I followed these youtube videos to root & make a backup recovery:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DroidReview#p/u/6/k4Hfs99vmHU

Then i followed the instructions to install the Bugless Beast ROM and how to overclock the droid to go at speeds faster than 500mhz here (i followed steps 34-62):

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-h...mation-etc.html

The instructions for wifi tethering are also pretty simple and the wifi tether with my laptop works well. The net on my laptop runs about as fast as the browser on my droid does.

Istockmanager works great with my ameritrade account.getting my friends to get a free gmail account so we can use google chat instead of text messages. We save by not paying for unlimited text
Why not just use your email? Why the need for chat to send message?

I rooted and overclocked my droid recently. I like it even more now, although the battery life suffers a bit.
Using SetCPU profiles you can save battery life. I set mine to "normal" cpu speed when it's in standby and when battery is below 50%I rooted mine. Installed bugless beast. Overclocked. Something along the way broke voice search. I don't use that much but that and OTA 2.1 (whenever it comes) not working = I'll probably undo it.

getting my friends to get a free gmail account so we can use google chat instead of text messages. We save by not paying for unlimited text
We were told by VZW that gmail chat is treated like a text message, so we went with the unlimited text plan. Is that not true?

Istockmanager works great with my ameritrade account.getting my friends to get a free gmail account so we can use google chat instead of text messages. We save by not paying for unlimited text
Why not just use your email? Why the need for chat to send message?
You can also txt back and forth between a cell phone (as a txt message) and an email account, so they don't need to drop txt messaging if they use it for other things.

What are the advantages of rooting the droid? What more can you do?

Still waiting for adobe........

Downloaded Shazam as someone else mentioned. Pretty cool app to find a song name.

TuneWiki is pretty neat, nothing earth shattering but it's cool to see the words of the song and what people are listening too in my area

We were told by VZW that gmail chat is treated like a text message, so we went with the unlimited text plan. Is that not true?
no, it shouldnt count as a text. but ill doublecheck my bill. it better not because i only get 250 free texts

If you had a blackberry this wouldn't be a problem... :confused:
gf and i used bb messenger exclusively before. but if the other person doesnt have a BB, you cant use BB messenger.

I DL alot of movies and shows to my laptop and hook the laptop up to one of our TVs.

GMOTE is a great little ap for controlling pause, play stop etc. pretty cool

PDAnet is a program that costs $29 and then lets you tether the phone to a laptop for instant internet access anywhere.
Will this work on a desktop PC or just a laptop?
Either
Anyone use easytether I have heard good things. Any issues with Verizon and tethering?
"Officially" Verizon does not support tethering on the Droid yet so doing so would be a violation of the T's & C's. Some day they will have a tethering option for $10 (or whatever) like they do now with phones like Treo.

dolphin. not perfect but I like it. tabs, pinch zoom, renders well, fairly speedy. opera is faster but has issues rendering pages correctly.

XScope browser seems to be the best I've used so far. Nice tabs, as well as a task manager available.
What's the difference between lite and the pay.Yes I still don't pay for apps
I did pay for the full, mostly because the dev obviously put in a lot of hard work on it and I think he deserves to get some profit from it....the only feature I know of that's different is that it adds in a task manager, which is kinda cool.

Users who are viewing this thread