What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andy D's draft talk thread. Mock drafts, prospect notes, (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
I'm just learning about a lot of these guys and I know the order will change considerably, so be gentle.

The order is based on "if the season ended today" and the picks are based on what I see are the most obvious needs for each team:

1. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Oher, OT - Ole Miss

I don't think they really want Carson Palmer to die and their backs should gain a little more than 3 YPC. Oher is the big winner in the "I went back to school and all I got was a lousy extra $20 million in bonuses" t-shirt.

Alternates: Orakpo, Wells

2. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford, QB - Georgia

Who knows how much turnover there will be in the Lions front office? Will the bums in place now continue to run the show? Will they hire a new coach? All I know is that Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton are not the answer. Stafford is as close as you're going to get to a franchise QB in this year's draft.

Alternates: Orakpo, Monroe

3. Kansas City Chiefs - Rey Maualuga, ILB - USC

This is a team in dire need of an impact player on defense. They could easily use this pick on a DE (okay, they could easily use it ANYWHERE) as Hali hasn't played as well after switching sides. Another team that may see a lot of front office turnover.

4. San Francisco 49ers - Michael Crabtree, WR - Texas Tech

Battle, Bruce, Johnson, and Hill. Yuck. I'm still wary about Crabtree's speed, but his production is undeniable. And he certainly looks the part.

Alternates: Cushing, Monroe

5. Oakland Raiders - Eugene Monroe, OT - Virginia

Al Davis takes his pills and drafts a guy that can actually help his team. Monroe charters a hearse to drive him to Oakland.

Alternates: Orakpo, Michael Johnson

6. Seattle Seahawks - Malcolm Jenkins, CB - Ohio St.

They would love to have Crabtree, or possibly Jeremy Maclin or even Darrius Heyward-Bey, but Jenkins is a player in the Antoine Winfield mold - good against the pass AND run.

Alternates: Maclin, Wells

7. St. Louis Rams - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

Even though the offense is showing signs of life, it is still mired near the bottom of the league and Pace can't play much longer.

Alternates: Vontae Davis, Maclin

8. San Diego Chargers - Brian Cushing, OLB - USC

How much do the Chargers miss Shawne Merriman? Cushing would be a very good option as a pass rushing/run defending OLB in their 3-4.

Alternates: Wells, Cody

9. Cleveland Browns - Chris Wells, RB - Ohio St.

Jamal Lewis is still playing well, but the NFL's two back craze will bite the Browns and Wells would be a fine heir apparent.

Alternates: Selvie, Maclin

10. Houston Texans - Brian Orakpo, DE - Texas

Dude has been a monster this year. The Texans would love to have a pass rusher playing opposite Mario Williams and the in-state kid would be a nice PR move.

Alternates: V. Davis, Moore

11. Jacksonville Jaguars - James Laurinaitis, ILB - Ohio St.

Mike Peterson is a free agent that likely won't be re-signed. Laurinaitis is going to be one of the most talked about love/hate players in the upcoming draft season.

Alternates: Moreno, Mays

12. Miami Dolphins - Terrence Cody, NT - Alabama

Jason Ferguson can't play forever and Parcells loves to draft the beef along the lines.

Alternates: V. Davis, Selvie

13. Minnesota Vikings - Vontae Davis, CB - Illinois

In Minnesota, Cover 2 is code for "our corners can't cover". Griffin has regressed terribly this year and it's questionable how long Winfield will stay.

Alternates: Duke Robinson, Pettigrew

14. Indianapolis Colts - Fili Moala, DT - USC

After the failed attempt at John McCargo, it's obvious the Colts are trying to fix the position.

Alternates: Butler, Curry

15. New Orleans Saints - William Moore, FS - Missouri

Kevin Kaesviharn? It'll be interesting to see if Moore or USC's Mays is the first safety taken.

Alternates: Curry, Mays

16. Arizona Cardinals - Knowshon Moreno, RB - Georgia

Even though Tim Hightower has shown to be a very good goalline back, James might not be there much longer and Moreno would be a nice luxury for a team that's currently ranked 29th running the ball.

Alternates: Selvie, J. Smith

17. Atlanta Falcons - Taylor Mays, S - USC

This would be a huge boon to the Falcons. This franchise should be a blueprint for the Lions - hire a real GM and pick the right coach for once.

Alternates: Curry, Pettigrew

18. Baltimore Ravens - Jeremy Maclin, WR - Missouri

What in the world happened to Mark Clayton? 13 catches total this year? Maclin brings a vertical component to the Ravens that is sorely needed.

Alternates: Butler, Ringer

19. Chicago Bears - Michael Johnson, DE - Georgia Tech

This is way too low for Johnson, but whatever. The Bears' one time strength needs some rebuilding and Johnson would be a steal here.

Alternates: Meridith, Heyward-Bey

20. Denver Broncos - Myron Rolle, S - Florida St.

The Broncos currently have what may be the worst set of starting safeties in the league.

Alternates: Curry, Ringer

21. Green Bay Packers - Greg Hardy, DE - Ole Miss

Thompson likes to go BPA and at this point in this draft Hardy is it. The Pack has depth and age issues along the d-line.

Alternates: Ringer, Robinson

22. New York Jets - Duke Robinson, OG - Oklahoma

This team could still use an infusion of talent on the o-line, especially on the right side.

Alternates: Ringer, Raji

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Jason Smith, OT - Baylor

With both Thomas and Runyan up in age and possibly out the door, this is the next "Who the heck is Duane Brown?" pick.

Alternates: Heyward-Bey, Pettigrew

24. Detroit (from Dallas) - Jamon Meridith, OT - South Carolina

No doubt they need defensive help, but a team this bad has to take the best player available since all spots could be upgraded.

Alternates: Mack, Butler

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aaron Curry, LB - Wake Forest

A player that's moving up the boards. A good Bucs defense reloads with this player who will step in whenever Brooks retires or June gets hurt.

Alternates: Heyward-Bey, Butler

26. Buffalo Bills - Alex Mack, C - California

A boring draft pick that could pay big dividends for a team that needs some better interior blocking.

Alternates: Raji, Selvie

27. New England Patriots - Javon Ringer, RB - Michigan St.

Maroney has turned into a big disappointment and although he's small, Ringer's proven that he can produce.

Alternates: Heyward-Bey, Selvie

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Darius Butler, CB - Connecticut

Townsend is 33 and depth is a big issue. O-line makes more sense but anyone here is a reach.

Alternates: Peria Jerry, DT - Ole Miss, Jonathan Luigs, C - Arkansas

29. Philadelphia (from Carolina) - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State

It's obvious that the answer to the TE position is not currently on the roster.

Alternates: Travis Beckum, TE - Wisconsin, James Davis, RB - Clemson

30. Washington Redskins - George Selvie, DE - South Florida

A bit undersized but can really get after the QB.

Alternates: Alphonso Smith, CB - Wake Forest, Matt Shaughnessy, DE - Wisconsin

31. New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR - Maryland

I can't see them keeping Plax around. Steve Smith is playing well and DHB will be a nice vertical option running a reported 4.3 forty at 6-3 and 206 lbs.

Alternates: Clint Sintim, OLB - Virginia, Percy Harvin, WR - Florida

32. Tennessee Titans - B.J. Raji, DT - Boston College

If Haynesworth bolts, there will be a few decent (not replacements, but decent) players to pick from at the position.

Alternates: Percy Harvin, WR - Florida, Brian Robiskie, WR - Ohio St.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At a glance, to me Crabtree seems way too high and Orakpo too low, but we'll see how it all shakes out.

Love the pick for the Bills. Fowler is not very good at C and Duke Preston clearly isn't the answer there either. They need a bigger guy that can really mash.

I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!At a glance, to me Crabtree seems way too high and Orakpo too low, but we'll see how it all shakes out.
I can't shake the feeling that Crabtree is another Mike Williams/Dwayne Jarrett type player. But he's certainly playing at an extremely high level right now.I expect Orakpo to move into the top 5 if he continues to play like he has been. Stay tuned to this thread as I edit it with my alternate choices (which I intended to do originally, but prematurely posted).

20. Denver Broncos - Myron Rolle, S - Florida St.

The Broncos currently have what may be the worst set of starting safeties in the league.
Good pick. Too bad Denver has neglected the position for so long, I have my doubts as to whether they would take one this year.

ugh.. as a chiefs fan i'm praying like hell we land stafford. if that falls through i would prefer to draft oline

i really hope the lions don't go franchise QB this year. Hopefully, your thoughts that Stanton is not the answer is incorrect. He hasn't played a single game this season after being on IR all of last year. If Stanton gets some PT later this year when the Lie-downs are 0-12 or 0-13 or whatever and shows a spark, there's very little chance in the team not addressing their awful OL with an early pick.

ugh.. as a chiefs fan i'm praying like hell we land stafford. if that falls through i would prefer to draft oline
Monroe will be my alternate Chiefs pick.
i really hope the lions don't go franchise QB this year. Hopefully, your thoughts that Stanton is not the answer is incorrect. He hasn't played a single game this season after being on IR all of last year. If Stanton gets some PT later this year when the Lie-downs are 0-12 or 0-13 or whatever and shows a spark, there's very little chance in the team not addressing their awful OL with an early pick.
I do have the Lions taking a LT with their 2nd first rounder.
Not enough Trojans in the top 20.
Who else do you like? I'm assuming Sanchez stays in school. (McCoy and Bradford too, hence the shortage of QBs in this mock)

Great Work :rolleyes:

As you have stated already, why do you have michael johnson at pick 19? I thought he was a guaranteed top 10 pick, possible top 5?

Also, i dont think the Cheifs would go LB with their first pick. I'm pretty sure they need QB, DE, OT more than LB. Personally i think the Cheifs will take a QB, they can't go 3 years starting the Croyle/Huard/Thigpen trio of crap.

I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!At a glance, to me Crabtree seems way too high and Orakpo too low, but we'll see how it all shakes out.
I can't shake the feeling that Crabtree is another Mike Williams/Dwayne Jarrett type player. But he's certainly playing at an extremely high level right now.
:confused: I completely agree. I could be proven wrong, but I'll probably avoid him in all my rookie drafts.

Great Work :confused:As you have stated already, why do you have michael johnson at pick 19? I thought he was a guaranteed top 10 pick, possible top 5?
I don't know. I'm sure he'll go higher than where I have him, but it just didn't seem to fit with the way the order currently is. He hasn't done anything but impress this year as far as I can tell. Both he and Orakpo could go to any of the top three teams.
Also, i dont think the Cheifs would go LB with their first pick. I'm pretty sure they need QB, DE, OT more than LB. Personally i think the Cheifs will take a QB, they can't go 3 years starting the Croyle/Huard/Thigpen trio of crap.
But after Matt Stafford, there's nothing at the position this year. Not at the #3 pick anyway. If Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy were to declare, I'd be tempted to put them in the top 5 (Bradford more than McCoy). And as you can see, my alternate picks were Orakpo and Monroe, so I agree they could easily go d- or o-line.And when I put Orakpo in this draft, I could easily trade out the name Johnson. I think they're 1 and 1a at the position.

Stafford is going to really dissapoint at the next level IMHO. He hasn't proved anything to me at the college level so I see no reason why he'll do well in the NFL. Just because somebody is the prototypical size doesn't mean they they are an NFL QB. I think the Lions could do better with their 1st round pick and help that O-Line out and draft some "lesser" QB's later in the draft. Of course they will be dumb and draft Stafford...

So if Bradford leaves early does he leapfrog Stafford and pack his bags to DET? I don't think he'll leave early but you never know. Kid has 2700+ yards, 68% comp, 29TD/5Int through 8 games. 10.3 YPA isn't bad either. No that I'm biased or anything! :confused: I can hear the SEC boys now..."but he plays those soft Big 12 D's!".

Crabtree seems ranked too high but he is an incredible WR. Just be weary of anybody's inflated stats coming from Texas Tech...

Doesn't matter what time of the year it is...love talking the draft. Couple of observations:

1. I think by the time the draft rolls around, Oher & Smith will switch slots. I see Smith as an Ogden-esque presence.

2. I think Moala won't be drafted in Round 1. This DT class appears historically weak.

3. I can see Stafford being drafted high, but count me as someone who is far from sold on the guy. But if he declares Lions/Chiefs would have to pick him up, depending on who has position. I know most feel Sam Bradford won't come out, but this off-season could be different in terms of the high draft pick money grab potential due to the Collective Bargaining Process. Also, Matt Leinart and Brian Brohm have very good "perhaps that senior year wasn't so great" stories.

4. The luster coming off Michael Johnson this season reminds me of how the same thing happened to Quentin Moses.

5. Aaron Curry is too low. As a Falcon fan, I'm fine with the Mays pick, but I'd prefer Curry. My thinking though was he wouldn't make it to us.

Thanks though for the early peek! :thumbup:

Love the pick for the Bills. Fowler is not very good at C and Duke Preston clearly isn't the answer there either. They need a bigger guy that can really mash.
:thumbup:Edit: of course they'll probably draft another defensive back in the first round

I can't shake the feeling that Crabtree is another Mike Williams/Dwayne Jarrett type player. But he's certainly playing at an extremely high level right now.
:thumbup: I completely agree. I could be proven wrong, but I'll probably avoid him in all my rookie drafts.
I'd compare Crabtree more to Boldin than to Mike Williams or Jarrett. Neither Jarret or Williams have elite straight line speed or are any good after the catch. Crabtree may not have elite straight line speed but is VERY good after the catch, like Boldin.

Last edited:
Stafford is going to really dissapoint at the next level IMHO. He hasn't proved anything to me at the college level so I see no reason why he'll do well in the NFL. Just because somebody is the prototypical size doesn't mean they they are an NFL QB. I think the Lions could do better with their 1st round pick and help that O-Line out and draft some "lesser" QB's later in the draft. Of course they will be dumb and draft Stafford...So if Bradford leaves early does he leapfrog Stafford and pack his bags to DET? I don't think he'll leave early but you never know. Kid has 2700+ yards, 68% comp, 29TD/5Int through 8 games. 10.3 YPA isn't bad either. No that I'm biased or anything! ;) I can hear the SEC boys now..."but he plays those soft Big 12 D's!". Crabtree seems ranked too high but he is an incredible WR. Just be weary of anybody's inflated stats coming from Texas Tech...
Doesn't matter what time of the year it is...love talking the draft. Couple of observations:1. I think by the time the draft rolls around, Oher & Smith will switch slots. I see Smith as an Ogden-esque presence.2. I think Moala won't be drafted in Round 1. This DT class appears historically weak.3. I can see Stafford being drafted high, but count me as someone who is far from sold on the guy. But if he declares Lions/Chiefs would have to pick him up, depending on who has position. I know most feel Sam Bradford won't come out, but this off-season could be different in terms of the high draft pick money grab potential due to the Collective Bargaining Process. Also, Matt Leinart and Brian Brohm have very good "perhaps that senior year wasn't so great" stories.4. The luster coming off Michael Johnson this season reminds me of how the same thing happened to Quentin Moses.5. Aaron Curry is too low. As a Falcon fan, I'm fine with the Mays pick, but I'd prefer Curry. My thinking though was he wouldn't make it to us.Thanks though for the early peek! :thumbup:
I'm not sold on Stafford either. But until some other guys declare, he's the only thing close to a franchise signal caller in the draft.If I had my way, there wouldn't be any DT's in the first round. It's probably just me but that position seems like it busts higher than any other.I question if Johnson's showing is because of the lack of talent around him or if it's him. I think with Moses it was more the latter and that's why he fell out of favor.Curry is a very good player, but the NFL doesn't seem to like taking linebackers very high. I'm pushing it by putting Maualuga at #3. Lofton was a great player that had first round talent, but slipped to the 2nd since teams look at that position as easier to fill than others.

:thumbup: I completely agree. I could be proven wrong, but I'll probably avoid him in all my rookie drafts.
I'd compare Crabtree more to Boldin than to Mike Williams or Jarrett. Neither Jarret or Williams have elite straight line speed or are any good after the catch. Crabtree may not have elite straight line speed but is VERY good after the catch, like Boldin.
I'm anxious to see him play this weekend. There will be a lot of great talent on the field on Saturday.Graham Harrell is impressing me more all the time too. Nice quick, accurate release.

Great job as usual Andy.

First I really see the Rams addressing a linebacker or strong safety in the first round. I guess it just depends how early they are picking.

If they are 6-10 I would think they would go with either linebacker

If they were 10-15 I could see maybe an olineman but if they are after 15 I would really think they owuld go after Moore SS (Mizzouri)

Second I think Crabtree is a closer thing to Andre Johnson coming out of school rather than Jarrett or M. Williams

And again great job

Andy Dufresne said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At a glance, to me Crabtree seems way too high and Orakpo too low, but we'll see how it all shakes out.
I can't shake the feeling that Crabtree is another Mike Williams/Dwayne Jarrett type player. But he's certainly playing at an extremely high level right now.I expect Orakpo to move into the top 5 if he continues to play like he has been.

Stay tuned to this thread as I edit it with my alternate choices (which I intended to do originally, but prematurely posted).
Did anyone see the player profile on Orakpo this weekend and his workout routines?? :mellow:

I like the Bears projected pick if they draft around there. Mark Anderson has become invisible since his rookie year, and the front 4 could use more pressure from the corners. Drafting defense goes right along with their philosophy too.

Too early to nitpick, but hey, that's what these are for anyway.

I somehow don't think that Chris Wells will go that high, but that could be simply personal preference.

Also, I think there will be more than 1 QB selected in the first round. Tebow maybe?

Andy Dufresne said:

Maroney has turned into a big disappointment and although he's small, Ringer's proven that he can produce.

You had me until here. I think Ringer would be a reach in the first round, especially with better talents like LeSean McCoy and CJ Spiller on the board. Percy Harvin deserves to be in the first round somewhere. With his speed and playmaking skills, I think someone takes him in the top 30.

Finally, Darrius Heyward-Bey can go a lot higher than where you have him. His stats don't match the other top receivers in the draft, but his upside is huge. A guy that big, fast, and athletic will make some fans among NFL scouts.

Are both Oher and Monroe rating above Andre Smith? Everything I've seen and read about the guy indicates to me that he's a monster.

Also- my own personal opinion, independent of "expert" analysis, is that I think Crabtree rates above every other hyped WR prospect in the last few years. The guy's been special since he arrived on campus. I scroll through the weird channels in the 600s on Direct TV every Saturday to see if there's a Texas Tech game on so I can watch him for a bit. That's not normal behavior for me.

Thanks for ther early look, by the way- a good read.

Too early to nitpick, but hey, that's what these are for anyway.

I somehow don't think that Chris Wells will go that high, but that could be simply personal preference.

Also, I think there will be more than 1 QB selected in the first round. Tebow maybe?
I assume Tebow will declare. And I don't think he's taken in the first. Other than that, there's an unbelievable shortage of QBs available this draft. I think the last few years have shown what's going on in the NFL - as in how much of a QB driven league it is. The teams at the top of the draft are the ones that need a QB, but they also need other positions just as bad. And there's no need to reach for a guy that you think is marginal when you can take a player you're higher on at the top of the first, and roll the dice with a 2nd round or higher guy.

Andy Dufresne said:

You had me until here. I think Ringer would be a reach in the first round, especially with better talents like LeSean McCoy and CJ Spiller on the board.
Ringer is a first round talent. I assumed McCoy won't be coming out and Spiller is just too small for a first rounder.
Percy Harvin deserves to be in the first round somewhere. With his speed and playmaking skills, I think someone takes him in the top 30.
I put him in there as a late round alternate pick for a few teams. I think the injury bug will cause teams to think twice.
Finally, Darrius Heyward-Bey can go a lot higher than where you have him. His stats don't match the other top receivers in the draft, but his upside is huge. A guy that big, fast, and athletic will make some fans among NFL scouts.
I agree. He seems like a guy that Al Davis would love.

Andy Dufresne said:

You had me until here. I think Ringer would be a reach in the first round, especially with better talents like LeSean McCoy and CJ Spiller on the board. Percy Harvin deserves to be in the first round somewhere. With his speed and playmaking skills, I think someone takes him in the top 30.

As a Pittsburgh guy who has been lucky enough to see a lot of McCoy... he is going to make the team that drafts him extremely happy.... especially if he slips to the second round. This guy has all the tools and is a hard worker. My money is on him to outproduce a number of backs who may be drafted ahead of him.

Are both Oher and Monroe rating above Andre Smith? Everything I've seen and read about the guy indicates to me that he's a monster.
I think all three are going to be in a battle with each other to see who gets drafted first.Word is that Oher has gotten even nastier this year with more coaching.

This year's tackle crop seems almost as deep as last year's.

Also- my own personal opinion, independent of "expert" analysis, is that I think Crabtree rates above every other hyped WR prospect in the last few years. The guy's been special since he arrived on campus. I scroll through the weird channels in the 600s on Direct TV every Saturday to see if there's a Texas Tech game on so I can watch him for a bit. That's not normal behavior for me.

If he can post a sub 4.5 time at the combine, he's probably a top 10 lock.

Ringer is a first round talent. I assumed McCoy won't be coming out and Spiller is just too small for a first rounder.
Not sure why he would stick around at Pitt any longer. The team stinks and yet he is producing some gaudy numbers.
He's a player to keep an eye on for sure. He fits the mold of what I like to see in terms of size for a guy entering the NFL.If I were a GM, I'd have a hard time looking at guys weighing less than 210 (but then we've had that debate around here many times before).

I think all three are going to be in a battle with each other to see who gets drafted first.Word is that Oher has gotten even nastier this year with more coaching.

This year's tackle crop seems almost as deep as last year's.

If he can post a sub 4.5 time at the combine, he's probably a top 10 lock.
Thanks.For my money, I'll always favor the two guys that have been blocking SEC front lines over the guy that's been blocking ACC pass rushers. But they know best.

I would question the overvaulation of the 40 times for guys that have shown extraordinary elusiveness against elite competition... but I remember Peter Warrick. Nevertheless, for those that haven't seen him play much, it's worth the extra effort to check him out. I can't wait to see him vs. Texas next week.

Yeah, cool post Andy. Nice work.

My initial impression of this draft is, "Wow, this is really thin at the offensive skill positions!" Am I off base there?

BTW, as a USC-watcher, I'd add that while I like Cushing, I don't see him being drafted before Mays. Mays and Maualuga are probably top-10 guys, both are elite prospects; I could easily envision Cushing slotting more into the last-first round or lower. And BTW Maualuga looks like he could be the next Ray Lewis if he's put in the right place.

McCoy has had his eye on the draft since before the season. He's as good as gone. We'll agree to disagree about Ringer. He doesn't have the flashy skill set needed to go that high.

I don't think Spiller's size will keep him out of the first round, particularly when you consider the success that Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton are enjoying right now. Besides, Spiller isn't that small. I expect him to weigh in at 205-215 at the combine.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/171580...f082fc1.jpg?v=0

He's the only first round RB prospect with game changing big play skills.

One more USC related observation - don't sleep on Jr. RB Stafon Johnson. I think of all the RB's in that crowded USC backfield (at least who have played) he looks the most NFL-ready and could be an impact player at the next level. He runs like a forward leaning NFL RB, rather than a stutter-stepping college guy, and he's got size, strenth and speed. He's not said anything but I could easily envision him deciding to get out of that RB crowd at USC and turn pro.

Yeah, cool post Andy. Nice work.

My initial impression of this draft is, "Wow, this is really thin at the offensive skill positions!" Am I off base there?
The skill positions always seem to get a boost when the juniors declare but this year doesn't seem all that exciting.I think this QB class is terrible. I don't put any of the RBs in even the McFadden category, much less the AP level.

WRs are always a work in progress coming out of school and if you look at the reported 40 times (I agree they're not a be all end all when judging WRs) most of them seem like possession types once you get beyond guys like Harvin, DHB, and Maclin.

As a Baltimore homer, it's almost a given that the Ravens will go Cornerback with their #1 pick. Rolle is 75 years old and so injured he hasn't been able to get on the field for 2 years now. McAlister is only 49 years old, but has become the #1 enemy of the new coach to the point he's been injured/benched the last two weeks.

One more USC related observation - don't sleep on Jr. RB Stafon Johnson. I think of all the RB's in that crowded USC backfield (at least who have played) he looks the most NFL-ready and could be an impact player at the next level. He runs like a forward leaning NFL RB, rather than a stutter-stepping college guy, and he's got size, strenth and speed. He's not said anything but I could easily envision him deciding to get out of that RB crowd at USC and turn pro.
This is true, but he won't enter the first round discussion unless they keep feeding him the ball like they did this past weekend.

BTW, as a USC-watcher, I'd add that while I like Cushing, I don't see him being drafted before Mays. Mays and Maualuga are probably top-10 guys, both are elite prospects; I could easily envision Cushing slotting more into the last-first round or lower. And BTW Maualuga looks like he could be the next Ray Lewis if he's put in the right place.
The only reason I put him that high was because of his uniqueness at playing OLB (and maybe sliding inside too) in the 3-4. He would be a versatile player the Chargers could really use.
McCoy has had his eye on the draft since before the season. He's as good as gone. We'll agree to disagree about Ringer. He doesn't have the flashy skill set needed to go that high.

I don't think Spiller's size will keep him out of the first round, particularly when you consider the success that Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton are enjoying right now. Besides, Spiller isn't that small. I expect him to weigh in at 205-215 at the combine.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/171580...f082fc1.jpg?v=0

He's the only first round RB prospect with game changing big play skills.
I'll keep my eye on these guys, thanks for the heads up. :unsure:

As a Baltimore homer, it's almost a given that the Ravens will go Cornerback with their #1 pick. Rolle is 75 years old and so injured he hasn't been able to get on the field for 2 years now. McAlister is only 49 years old, but has become the #1 enemy of the new coach to the point he's been injured/benched the last two weeks.
True, and I do have the CB Butler as an alternate. But Newsome goes BPA and I think that Maclin is a better pick at that point.

And life is much easier when you don't have to mock for the Cowboys.

Now if we could just get the Patriots and Eagles to trade out of the first...

Andy Dufresne said:

Who knows how much turnover there will be in the Lions front office? Will the bums in place now continue to run the show? Will they hire a new coach? All I know is that Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton are not the answer. Stafford is as close as you're going to get to a franchise QB in this year's draft.

It's nice to see my mild pimping of Stafford this off-season has paid off. :lmao: I'm not so sure I follow the logic behind Det taking him (or a QB for that matter) however. How does Det or any of us know that Orlovsky and Stanton are not the answer? These guys have played less than 4 games between the 2 of them.

Nice work. DET better take a LB, DL, OL. Please lord, let them see the light and build this ####### team from the inside out. A new QB will do nothing except get killed.

Andy Dufresne said:

It's nice to see my mild pimping of Stafford this off-season has paid off. :goodposting: I'm not so sure I follow the logic behind Det taking him (or a QB for that matter) however. How does Det or any of us know that Orlovsky and Stanton are not the answer? These guys have played less than 4 games between the 2 of them.
I read this this morning as part of an article on the Lions following the loss to the Redskins, and I have to say that this is one of the most astonishing facts I've ever seen about a team:
Minnesota Vikings quarterback Gus Frerotte is the only quarterback to face the Lions this season who did not set a career high in passer efficiency rating.

Washington's Jason Campbell set his person best with a 127.4 -- topping his career-best against Detroit last year.
The Lions organization should be dissolved if they draft anything other than defense. Their offense actually isn't awful though it certainly could use improvement, but that defense is embarrassingly bad. They need to go BPA on defense and give Orlovsky and Stanton next year to sort things out.

Users who are viewing this thread