What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anime - Recommendations for a newb? (1 Viewer)

PlayaHata

Footballguy
My son is big-time into anime and I'd really like to watch at least one series to see if I can find something to bond with him over. I did a search and found a few hits in the streaming thread, but that's about it. For someone who has never watched any anime and honestly doesn't quite "get it" at the moment, what might be a good show to check out to take the plunge?

For movie genres at least, I like action, suspense, thrillers, and dramas if that helps at all in terms of recommendations. TIA.

Avatar the last Airbender if your son is 5-11.
My hero academia if your son is 12-16.

Cowboy bebop is good as well, but not necessarily to watch with a kid.

I like anime and can't wait until I can watch them with my kids.

Avatar the last Airbender if your son is 5-11.
My hero academia if your son is 12-16.

Cowboy bebop is good as well, but not necessarily to watch with a kid.

I like anime and can't wait until I can watch them with my kids.

Avatar can be watched at any age IMO. I just did a rewatch with the family recently and it holds up for adults just as well as kids.

However, depending on how strict his kid is about his definition of anime he might not include Avatar. Avatar is not an anime show as it was not Japanese made, it is American made with anime influences.

If the son is open to non anime, but anime inspired shows like Avatar, add in Dragon Prince (it was made by the some of the same people who made Avatar and is a strong show).

If either wants pure anime and enjoys some space opera type fun, I can highly recommend Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (it is the remake of the old 70's us old folks watched as Star Blazers here in the US.) The remake is wonderful.

@PlayaHata how old is your son? Anime can range quite a bit in "adultness" so it is hard to give recommendations with out knowing what he likes and what he can watch.

@PlayaHata how old is your son? Anime can range quite a bit in "adultness" so it is hard to give recommendations with out knowing what he likes and what he can watch.
Good question. My son is 21 so we’re probably much more suited for adult stuff. I’ve been doing some Googling this morning and a few that seem to keep popping up as beginner recommendations for adults are
  1. Deathnote
  2. Attack on Titan (this is the one that I’m leaning towards right now)
  3. Cowboy Bebop
  4. Full Metal Alchemist

Good question. My son is 21 so we’re probably much more suited for adult stuff. I’ve been doing some Googling this morning and a few that seem to keep popping up as beginner recommendations for adults are
  1. Deathnote
  2. Attack on Titan (this is the one that I’m leaning towards right now)
  3. Cowboy Bebop
  4. Full Metal Alchemist

I would go Bebop first. It is an all time classic and something that you and a 21 year old will enjoy quite a bit. This is one of the VERY few anime's where it is ok to watch the dubbed version (in 99.9% of anime, it is usually better to watch the subs). But the dub on Bebop was done with so much love and care and every VA nailed their part.

Attack on Titan is slow but very interesting. I only watched the first couple of seasons.

I never saw Deathnote, and I did not enjoy Full Metal.

Users who are viewing this thread