What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another bad rumor? (1 Viewer)

Speculation has surfaced that the Bengals would consider trading Chad Johnson, but those rumors border on the absurd. With teammate Chris Henry facing a fine and suspension after two arrests, dealing Johnson to another club is out of the question.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...0213inside.html

Looks like this won't happen, but why would it even be considered?
It seems to be pure media speculation. They can make up anything and dismiss as speculating. That's what it takes to be a good writer. :P

-- Bengals to Keep Chad Johnson --

Sun Feb 5, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Denver Post reports the Cincinnati Bengals are resigned to keeping star WR Chad Johnson despite several outbursts. The most notable was a tantrum at the half of the Bengals' wild-card playoff loss to Pittsburgh. Reports on what happened have ranged dramatically in seriousness. It's clear that, at the least, Johnson caused a stink and was a distraction for his team. Johnson has been an issue for HC Marvin Lewis. The coach has to address it. There had been speculation the Bengals would consider trading Johnson, but it appears the team is hoping he gets his act together. Johnson is a terrific talent, so the Bengals want to make it work. If Johnson continues to be a problem for Lewis, a major bridge will have to be crossed.

-- Bengals to Keep Chad Johnson --

Sun Feb 5, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Denver Post reports the Cincinnati Bengals are resigned to keeping star WR Chad Johnson despite several outbursts. The most notable was a tantrum at the half of the Bengals' wild-card playoff loss to Pittsburgh. Reports on what happened have ranged dramatically in seriousness. It's clear that, at the least, Johnson caused a stink and was a distraction for his team. Johnson has been an issue for HC Marvin Lewis. The coach has to address it. There had been speculation the Bengals would consider trading Johnson, but it appears the team is hoping he gets his act together. Johnson is a terrific talent, so the Bengals want to make it work. If Johnson continues to be a problem for Lewis, a major bridge will have to be crossed.
I love the way the media folk feel the need to tell a coach how he has to run his team. Kinda like the media lambasted poor Gretsky for lying about his prior knowledge and telling us what Wayne needs to do. But now we know he didn't have prior knowledge. Where are they now? I love this one too:

Art Shell's first order of business as Oakland Raiders head coach will likely be to kick QB Kerry Collins to the curb.

Don't be surprised if Collins surfaces in Baltimore. His former coach with the New York Giants, Jim Fassell, a Ravens assistant, loves him. After all, they went to the Super Bowl together (2000 season). A QB controversy featuring Collins and Kyle Boller would be fun to watch
Here this writer feels Shell will dump Collins (even though Davis loves him) and that he will become the Balt QB because he's buds with Fassell. Simply amazing.My point is let's recognize these reports for what they are, pure speculation on 1 writers part, not fact. Don't get too excited. I see some people read this stuff and think the team's are going to do these things. These are just made up by the writers because they have nothing to write about, so they speculate what they "think" will happen.

Speculation has surfaced that the Bengals would consider trading Chad Johnson, but those rumors border on the absurd. With teammate Chris Henry facing a fine and suspension after two arrests, dealing Johnson to another club is out of the question.

It seems to be pure media speculation. They can make up anything and dismiss as speculating. That's what it takes to be a good writer. :P
I know this guy personally. He is THE writer for the Bengals and everything he writes has truth to it. He is usually the only media guy in the area that will not back down and does ask the tough questions. He is close to Marvis Lewis. The article is more about players, especially Chad, becoming leaders and leading by example on and off the field. It would be considered because Chad is becoming a distraction to the team. He got into a fight with his position coach at half time of a game they were winning. But it was all about him not getting the ball.

Hell, I speculated on my radio show before the season even ended that Martz would end up in Detroit, but I didn't have any inside news, I just saw a Coach that would fit the team's offense well, and vice versa. Speculation is just that speculation. Half the posts on this board are specualtion, isn't that what fantasy football is? We don't know for sure that this guy will get X number of TD's without injury, but we speculate that he will.

I know this guy personally. He is THE writer for the Bengals and everything he writes has truth to it. He is usually the only media guy in the area that will not back down and does ask the tough questions. He is close to Marvis Lewis. The article is more about players, especially Chad, becoming leaders and leading by example on and off the field. It would be considered because Chad is becoming a distraction to the team. He got into a fight with his position coach at half time of a game they were winning. But it was all about him not getting the ball.

Hell, I speculated on my radio show before the season even ended that Martz would end up in Detroit, but I didn't have any inside news, I just saw a Coach that would fit the team's offense well, and vice versa. Speculation is just that speculation. Half the posts on this board are specualtion, isn't that what fantasy football is? We don't know for sure that this guy will get X number of TD's without injury, but we speculate that he will.
Good post and yes that was my point. I see some folks take these articles that are speculation and then question why the team is doing that. BTW-what's your show? Can you post a link?

Of course if something happened that was detrimental to the team the question of whether to trade him would come up. However, Chad is the heart and soul of that offense and makes Palmer a much better QB. It would be stupid to mess with the chemistry Johnson and Palmer have built up especially after Palmer is coming off a knee injury. There is a 0.01% chance that Chad is traded and the only way it happens is if he did something more much serious than we've heard about.

BTW-what's your show? Can you post a link?
It was just a local show here in Dayton, OH on 980 WONE called Bleeding Orange before the Browns and Bengals game broadcasts. Unfortunately, no streaming yet, but hopefully soon. Will be doing a fantasy football show this season as well.

Of course if something happened that was detrimental to the team the question of whether to trade him would come up. However, Chad is the heart and soul of that offense and makes Palmer a much better QB. It would be stupid to mess with the chemistry Johnson and Palmer have built up especially after Palmer is coming off a knee injury. There is a 0.01% chance that Chad is traded and the only way it happens is if he did something more much serious than we've heard about.
Plus, the whole city loves him. No way he gets traded unless he falls out of favor with the fans. The national media tries to portray him as a T.O. type, but that's not how Cincinnati sees him.

BTW-what's your show? Can you  post a link?
It was just a local show here in Dayton, OH on 980 WONE called Bleeding Orange before the Browns and Bengals game broadcasts. Unfortunately, no streaming yet, but hopefully soon. Will be doing a fantasy football show this season as well.
Sounds cool. If you need a Columbus ff guy to call in and ask some fantsy questions let me know. :D

One of the most poorly ran franchises in the NFL since the early 90's outside of the Lions, Saints and Cardinals is going to trade their most recongnized and beloved player? Right...

It is about sales and winning. Johnson has been extremely helpful to the P&L and W-L columns, as well as being seen as an everyman hero to Bengals fans everywhere. Unless he dished out something that would be considered an all world ### beating during this alleged fight, he is not going anywhere. He is too good on the field. He is too good off the field. He is too good selling jerseys, foam fingers, hats, posters, tickets, beers, etc...

The financial ramifications, as well as PR backlash, would be something a team on the rebound, like the Bengals, would like to avoid. If the Bengals wanted to force the issue, then trust you would have seen this story given more attention at a national level. It would have provided the team with a motive to move Johnson and helped control collateral damage. Of course, it might have hurt Johnson's trade value, but, if the fight was that bad and the damage was deemed irrevocable, then the Bengals take what they can get. However, that is not what has happened.

Speaking from personal experience as a former player rep and NFL team rep, if a team decides you are gone, then you are gone. I do not see that happening here, considering the course of action following the alleged half-time fight. It appears each side are going to take a break; let wounds heal and get back together for the first mini-camp. The story gets spun as a spring feel good and deflects from Palmer's rehab. Everyone is happy in Bengal land.

Nationally, this story was squashed nearly as quickly as it started. It had a short shelf life. Johnson has some maturity issues but trust his talent level and impact upon the fan base will see he gets every chance to grow up within the Bengals franchise.

Just my opinion.

One of the most poorly ran franchises in the NFL since the early 90's outside of the Lions, Saints and Cardinals is going to trade their most recongnized and beloved player? Right...

It is about sales and winning. Johnson has been extremely helpful to the P&L and W-L columns, as well as being seen as an everyman hero to Bengals fans everywhere. Unless he dished out something that would be considered an all world ### beating during this alleged fight, he is not going anywhere. He is too good on the field. He is too good off the field. He is too good selling jerseys, foam fingers, hats, posters, tickets, beers, etc...

The financial ramifications, as well as PR backlash, would be something a team on the rebound, like the Bengals, would like to avoid. If the Bengals wanted to force the issue, then trust you would have seen this story given more attention at a national level. It would have provided the team with a motive to move Johnson and helped control collateral damage. Of course, it might have hurt Johnson's trade value, but, if the fight was that bad and the damage was deemed irrevocable, then the Bengals take what they can get. However, that is not what has happened.

Speaking from personal experience as a former player rep and NFL team rep, if a team decides you are gone, then you are gone. I do not see that happening here, considering the course of action following the alleged half-time fight. It appears each side are going to take a break; let wounds heal and get back together for the first mini-camp. The story gets spun as a spring feel good and deflects from Palmer's rehab. Everyone is happy in Bengal land.

Nationally, this story was squashed nearly as quickly as it started. It had a short shelf life. Johnson has some maturity issues but trust his talent level and impact upon the fan base will see he gets every chance to grow up within the Bengals franchise.

Just my opinion.
You make some very good points. I think you are on the money as well.

Users who are viewing this thread