What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (9 Viewers)

Which is of course why the DA should have come out and made it clear that doing things the right way would simply take a bit of time but didn’t mean that nothing was happening. If nothing else, finding a sympathetic reporter that would carry that water and point out the laws and red tape preventing faster action would have been a smart move.
It may be against policy, but the only possible way to avoid the inevitable was to arrest the guy immediately. Sort out the logistics later

Sorry - when you throw out a faux insult directed at the mayor, it doesn't lead me to believe you would want to have an honest discussion on this topic.

Frey called on the DA to arrest the police officer. The DA refused. Frey came out immediately and fired the 4 officers involved. The looting and rioting is terrible. And I am sure there is more that he could have done to prevent it, but I think we can all agree that there is only so much he can do. And whatveer he does, or doesn't do, there are going to be thousands of arm chair mayors calling him out for it.

This is a super ####ty situation. Instead of calling people names and mocking their credentials, we should all be working to find solutions
Thanks. The bolded is all that is relevant.

Sorry - when you throw out a faux insult directed at the mayor, it doesn't lead me to believe you would want to have an honest discussion on this topic.

Frey called on the DA to arrest the police officer. The DA refused. Frey came out immediately and fired the 4 officers involved. The looting and rioting is terrible. And I am sure there is more that he could have done to prevent it, but I think we can all agree that there is only so much he can do. And whatveer he does, or doesn't do, there are going to be thousands of arm chair mayors calling him out for it.

This is a super ####ty situation. Instead of calling people names and mocking their credentials, we should all be working to find solutions
Thanks. The bolded is all that is relevant.
Perhaps. Let's have that discussion then. And please try and avoid disparaging the mayor's professional history if possible. 

Joe I like to leave in the quote exactly what im responding to. Sorry about that, won't do it again. However, there was one aggressive response to what I posted in this thread, I ignored it, but seeing you correct me over a quote edit and let that one slide has me confused. Clarification on that would be appreciated, maybe people reported my post, and didn't report his?
I corrected over what is reported. I read about .0001% of this forum. 

If you see something over the line, report it. 

This thread finally has an incident where I’m pretty sure everyone agrees the cop was wrong and yet there is still right v left bickering. I know, I know; they started it. 
Always going to happen when you get looting situations.  Because people aren't really discussing whether kneeling on some guys trachea for nine minutes or looting a deli is right or wrong.  They're arguing about which wrong we should be discussing.  

"These are very good people, but they are angry." on protesters with assault rifles taking over the Michigan Capitol

"LIBERATE MICHIGAN!"

"LIBERATE MINNESOTA!"

"LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!"

From a 1990 Playboy interview:

"We’re laughed at by the rest of the world. In order to bring law and order back into our cities, we need the death penalty and authority given back to the police. I got fifteen thousand positive letters on the death-penalty ad. I got ten negative or slightly negative ones."

"(The Soviet Unions') system is a disaster. What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That’s my problem with Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand."

"When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak … as being spit on by the rest of the world—"

-Donald J. Trump

Nobody cares what you choose not to read
This is the 2nd time you have made that comment.

That was for the benefit of the OP, as I sure others here don't want to have to scroll through anything that lengthy and develop carpal tunnel syndrome from an interminably long post.

Last edited by a moderator:
"These are very good people, but they are angry." on protesters with assault rifles taking over the Michigan Capitol

"LIBERATE MICHIGAN!"

"LIBERATE MINNESOTA!"

"LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!"

From a 1990 Playboy interview:

"We’re laughed at by the rest of the world. In order to bring law and order back into our cities, we need the death penalty and authority given back to the police. I got fifteen thousand positive letters on the death-penalty ad. I got ten negative or slightly negative ones."

"(The Soviet Unions') system is a disaster. What you will see there soon is a revolution; the signs are all there with the demonstrations and picketing. Russia is out of control and the leadership knows it. That’s my problem with Gorbachev. Not a firm enough hand."

"When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength. That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak … as being spit on by the rest of the world—"

-Donald J. Trump
You do know that Michigan archaic gun laws actually allow guns and open carry in the Capitol building right?

Local lawyer does not believe the other three will be charged. He does not have any inside information.
This seems likely - no charges.

But, If I were the family's attorney filing the civil suit, I would be sure to go after them personally - in addition to the police and city.

These officers should never forget that they stood by while a fellow officer slowly killed a man, and they did nothing to stop it, nor render aid.

The only officer I could see having no charges would be the Asian decent officer on the video. The other two were on the body and were feeling, in theory, what the killer was. Any one of them should have identified the lack of movement. Not third degree murder, but something more than civil charges. 

This seems likely - no charges.

But, If I were the family's attorney filing the civil suit, I would be sure to go after them personally - in addition to the police and city.

These officers should never forget that they stood by while a fellow officer slowly killed a man, and they did nothing to stop it, nor render aid.
I am sure merritt and/or crump will do that. 

Trump is really starting to impress me 

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266434153932894208

Looting leads to shooting, and that’s why a man was shot and killed in Minneapolis on Wednesday night - or look at what just happened in Louisville with 7 people shot. I don’t want this to happen, and that’s what the expression put out last night means....

....It was spoken as a fact, not as a statement. It’s very simple, nobody should have any problem with this other than the haters, and those looking to cause trouble on social media. Honor the memory of George Floyd!

Mike Pence has made a major announcement - seemingly doing a U-Turn on Trump Administration policies about protests:

Mike Pence @Mike_Pence

We believe in law and order in this Country. We condemn violence against property or persons.

We will always stand for the right of Americans to peacefully protest and let their voices be heard.

Looks like they will support NFL players and other who want to peacefully protest now.....

( :lmao:  - gotcha, real tweet, fake support)

I'm certainly no expert, but I saw a lot of people claiming that most business insurance doesn't cover arson.
Its not going to cover arson by the insured themselves (or someone on their behalf) but arson by a 3rd party would almost certainly be covered.  (I imagine this event would qualify as an "act of vandalism")  Most have an exclusion for "Dishonesty" which would apply to arson by the insured (or in collusion with the insured)

In an ideal world, the insurance company would then pursue subrogation against the person who set the fire, (lets say, for example, it was a rival business owner or someone that actually had assets to go after)  but obviously that's not realistic here.

Did you see that car on the news last night with some younger black females yelling to people in the streets "Shoot a white person?"   YIKES!!  Whitey get out of Minny!!

Its not going to cover arson by the insured themselves (or someone on their behalf) but arson by a 3rd party would almost certainly be covered.  (I imagine this event would qualify as an "act of vandalism")  Most have an exclusion for "Dishonesty" which would apply to arson by the insured (or in collusion with the insured)

In an ideal world, the insurance company would then pursue subrogation against the person who set the fire, (lets say, for example, it was a rival business owner or someone that actually had assets to go after)  but obviously that's not realistic here.

Its been a while since I specifically reviewed for this, but pretty sure riot or civil commotion coverage is a separate exclusion/endorsement. No?

Link to the criminal complaint against the officer

Has some more details that we haven't known about:

• One of the initial responding officers pulled his gun on him at the start of the encounter. 
  • While Floyd was still breathing, Officer Lane asked if they should roll him on his side, Officer Chauvin refused this request, indicating they should stay in position
  • After Floyd had stop breathing or moving, Lane again asked if they should roll him on his side. Officer Keung then checks his pulse and finds none, indicating this to the other officers. None of the officers move from their positions.
This will end up being the controversial part, and is likely why charges waited:

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted Mr. Floyd's autopsy on May 26, 2020. The full report of the ME is pending but the ME has made the following preliminary findings. The autopsy revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation. Mr. Floyd had underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease. The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death.

The defendant had his knee on Mr. Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in total. Two minutes and 53 seconds of this was after Mr. Floyd was non-responsive. Police are trained that this type of restraint with a subject in a prone positions is inherently dangerous.

Its been a while since I specifically reviewed for this, but pretty sure riot or civil commotion coverage is a separate exclusion/endorsement. No?
Obviously every contract is different (all peril vs named peril, tons of AVAILABLE exclusions that COULD be utilized) , but my company (a VERY large one) doesn't have such an exclusion for direct physical loss.

There are often limitations on a policy holder claiming business income without a physical loss (example: riot down the street, police close area, nobody can shop at your business, you lose money. Typically known as "Civil Authority". Often times that coverage will be sub-limited, rather than the insured having access to their full Business Income limit) but someone setting fire to your building?  I dont see how that isn't covered.

He called them thugs and tweeted that looting leads to shooting. Now he’s trying to cover himself. Is that what impresses you? 

That's your opinion. 

Violent rioting and stealing is thuggish behavior, that is a fact.

Every time there is mass rioting someone is shot and killed, so I don't see the problem with his tweet. It is once again, factual. I do however see a problem with twitter mischaracterizing his tweet just because they don't want to see Trump re-elected.

George Floyd was an honorable man, so I don't think its a stretch to say he wouldn't have wanted the rioting.

That's your opinion. 

Violent rioting and stealing is thuggish behavior, that is a fact.

Every time there is mass rioting someone is shot and killed, so I don't see the problem with his tweet. It is once again, factual. I do however see a problem with twitter mischaracterizing his tweet just because they don't want to see Trump re-elected.

George Floyd was an honorable man, so I don't think its a stretch to say he wouldn't have wanted the rioting.
No one wants rioting. But President Trump’s tweet was pretty clearly a threat. Yes that’s my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread