What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Restaurant Buying Thread (1 Viewer)

Just saw this thread for the first time. I love places like yours with the old vintage on the menu signs. Will definitely make a point to stop by next time we travel through. 
Same. I knew you were in the restaurant business but had missed this. Thanks a ton for the updates @pollardsvision   . These are super interesting and I'm guessing hopefully maybe even a little good for you to sort of journal. Best to you in all this and I hope you'll keep the updates flowing. 

I was born in Lynchburg, raised an hour or so south in Martinsville. Spent much of my youth eating in spots like this as Martinsville has been home to my dad's family for generations, so we know all the regulars in all the local diners, dives, and gas station grills.

My dad is in business and real estate and has been involved in the sale of several similar establishments over the years. The number 1 piece of advice he would share would be to make sure you hold onto the loyal crowd first before making any dramatic changes. The staff is already going to be having conversations with your patrons daily. If you try to change too much too quick, not only are you fighting those who don't like change, but the loyals will hear all the whining from the staff, and you'll lose business.

Go slow.
I know this is years old but this seems like great advice. 

If you're looking for some other hot dog combinations, could always piggyback off Pink's. They've been huge in SoCal for decades. They do have a lot of options.

Could do bacon wrapped hot dogs. Those are huge out here.

Keep the staff happy.

Best of luck and congratulations!
I think this is angle is under rated. For sure you want to innovate. But for lots of stuff, most everything is out there. 

There are lots of foods that are essentially "blank slates" and you build your flavors on top of them. Things like Donuts, Pizza, Burgers and Hot Dogs. They're all have basic foundation of whatever it is, then you differentiate with what's added. 

If I were running a donut stand, I'd look at what sold great at Blue Star and Federal and others. Their menus are all on line. Same with Hot Dogs. Pinks is the one I'd consider. See what they're doing. 

Now to be sure. Los Angeles isn't Lynchburg. And what works there won't necessarily work for you. But there are tons of companies out there already testing things in the market already for you and I'd pay very close attention to what they're offering. 

And to note, you're likely doing this already. 

Man, it really sounds like owning a restaurant is a stressful grind, that doesn't pay well. 

Wish you the best as always. I still gotta get over to you. 
Maybe not for someone more intelligent and/or skilled than me. The pay isn't great, and surely, I could make more money doing other things, working at this pace. 

But I love what I do, and I'm fortunate that it pays for a lifestyle that suits me. It's good thing I don't like nice cars, or have children though.

BTW @Hilts it only took 3.5 years, but we did finally get to the bacon-wrapped hot dog.

In fact, it's a very special dog because it's the Omar Dog. That's why it took 3.5 years. Omar is my dog. He's my homeboy. I always knew he'd eventually have a dog named after him, but that's not a matter to be taken lightly. We try many new things. Most flop, which is fine. But I really didn't want the Omar Dog to the flop, the stakes are too high. 

So, the Omar Dog is my attempt at pretty much the perfect hot dot. All beef dog wrapped with bacon. Topped with Chili, Cheese, Slaw, and Grilled Onions. Went with our more traditional cole slaw instead of our regular hot dog slaw we're most known for because I think the regular slaw is a better balance with the richness of the bacon and grilled onions. Omar Approves.

It's doing well. I don't think it'll ever be a huge seller because I didn't price it to be. $3.49 for one hot dog is a lot here. I didn't want to make it too cheap because wrapping hot dogs in bacon during a busy lunch rush takes up some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this thread for the first time. I love places like yours with the old vintage on the menu signs. Will definitely make a point to stop by next time we travel through. 
Sadly, sort of, but the menu boards are gone. :bag:  I took them down. Too much of a pain to update them (especially since I'm short), and I didn't have time. We never messed with the heart of the menu, the staples, but we have added and adjusted many peripheral items, especially breakfast. The menu boards just didn't make sense. I wanted people looking at paper menus that I can easily adjust if/when new things take off. 

Customers still come in looking up at the wall for those old menu boards. One had a hole in the wall behind it, so it was replaced with a Lynchburg Hillcats banner to cover the hole in the wall.

I know this is years old but this seems like great advice. 
It's interesting looking at some of those 3+ year old post through a new lens.

That was great advice from tommy. I tried to do that as best I could (not make dramatic changes and run away the regulars). I think we've done that, for the most part. Most changes were on the behind the scenes and staffing stuff trying to make a, fortunately, productive business more profitable. 

But there were some colossal mistakes on that end. At different points I tried new buns (oof), and even messed with the slaw we've always been famous for. :bag:  I wised up and reversed course on both counts.

As you're well aware in life and business, you make decisions based on what you think is right and go with it. I made sure the staff and customers knew early on that I was going to make a whole bunch of mistakes and potentially bad decisions, but that'd I'd always be working like crazy to continue to make sure this wonderful place is a great place to eat and work. 

It's interesting looking at some of those 3+ year old post through a new lens.

That was great advice from tommy. I tried to do that as best I could (not make dramatic changes and run away the regulars). I think we've done that, for the most part. Most changes were on the behind the scenes and staffing stuff trying to make a, fortunately, productive business more profitable. 

But there were some colossal mistakes on that end. At different points I tried new buns (oof), and even messed with the slaw we've always been famous for. :bag:  I wised up and reversed course on both counts.

As you're well aware in life and business, you make decisions based on what you think is right and go with it. I made sure the staff and customers knew early on that I was going to make a whole bunch of mistakes and potentially bad decisions, but that'd I'd always be working like crazy to continue to make sure this wonderful place is a great place to eat and work. 
For sure Buddy. I think you said it perfectly. It's so much better to acknowledge you'll make mistakes. And when you do, you try to fix them. We're all in this together. 

Thanks again for journaling your story and sharing with us. 

Cool thread @pollardsvision , first time I've seen it. Enjoyed reading through it and seeing the updates along the way. :thumbup:

Question - Ever tried your hand at smoked dogs at the restaurant? This has become a staple for me on my electric smoker when I want to do something cheap and easy for a big crew. Even cheap dogs taste amazing.

Cool thread @pollardsvision , first time I've seen it. Enjoyed reading through it and seeing the updates along the way. :thumbup:

Question - Ever tried your hand at smoked dogs at the restaurant? This has become a staple for me on my electric smoker when I want to do something cheap and easy for a big crew. Even cheap dogs taste amazing.
Agreed. I do these with just some BBQ rub on them and in the smoker for about an hour. Super easy and people love them. Of course, not something to replace what your customers love. But could be a fun option. 

BTW @Hilts it only took 3.5 years, but we did finally get to the bacon-wrapped hot dog.

In fact, it's a very special dog because it's the Omar Dog. That's why it took 3.5 years. Omar is my dog. He's my homeboy. I always knew he'd eventually have a dog named after him, but that's not a matter to be taken lightly. We try many new things. Most flop, which is fine. But I really didn't want the Omar Dog to the flop, the stakes are too high. 

So, the Omar Dog is my attempt at pretty much the perfect hot dot. All beef dog wrapped with bacon. Topped with Chili, Cheese, Slaw, and Grilled Onions. Went with our more traditional cole slaw instead of our regular hot dog slaw we're most known for because I think the regular slaw is a better balance with the richness of the bacon and grilled onions. Omar Approves.

It's doing well. I don't think it'll ever be a huge seller because I didn't price it to be. $3.49 for one hot dog is a lot here. I didn't want to make it too cheap because wrapping hot dogs in bacon during a busy lunch rush takes up some time.
You gave the bacon-wrapped hot dog an Arabic name?  How's that going?

Edit: it also sounds unbelievably awesome.

I haven't tried that, but I'll give it a whirl. Sounds pretty good.

Though, I haven't been smoking much at all lately. BBQ catering is where I sort of started, and we sold pulled pork (with some limited runs of brisket and turkey) at the Weenie Stand for a while with pretty good success, but I don't really have the time and I'm not totally sure it makes sense for us. With so much other stuff on the menu, there's just no realistic way for us to move great quantities of Pulled Pork or make sure the quality is top notch. 

Trying to get back around to doing Pulled Pork only on Friday's, but for the most part, we're out of the BBQ business.

You gave the bacon-wrapped hot dog an Arabic name?  How's that going?

Edit: it also sounds unbelievably awesome.
I had a regular that mentioned the same thing. :lmao:

I don't think of Omar as an Arabic name though. At least not since the first time I saw Omar rob the Barksdales on the depicted streets of Baltimore. And I only know one human Omar personally, and he's an 80 year old white dude.

I don't think of Omar as an Arabic name though. At least not since the first time I saw Omar rob the Barksdales on the depicted streets of Baltimore. And I only know one human Omar personally, and he's an 80 year old white dude.
At least it's a beef sausage ;)

Though, I haven't been smoking much at all lately. BBQ catering is where I sort of started, and we sold pulled pork (with some limited runs of brisket and turkey) at the Weenie Stand for a while with pretty good success, but I don't really have the time and I'm not totally sure it makes sense for us. With so much other stuff on the menu, there's just no realistic way for us to move great quantities of Pulled Pork or make sure the quality is top notch. 

Trying to get back around to doing Pulled Pork only on Friday's, but for the most part, we're out of the BBQ business.
This seems like a good idea. As much as we love BBQ, sometimes it's not the right fit.

Looking from the outside in, the big challenge I see is "improving" what you offer but not alienating the long time customers. Who by definition like it the way it was. It's a fine line. Even the idea of "offering" a different kind of hot dog has an unspoken assumption that maybe the current hot dog isn't good enough. It's a delicate balance as you're well aware. Looking at your facebook page it looks like you're doing a great job walking it.  

FWIW, I only know one Omar and he's Puerto Rican.

Makes sense on the bbq side with the time investment.

Dogs are definitely a lot easier/quicker on the smoker, and would even be something easy to test on a certain day of the week as a special without much risk. Cook up a batch and see what you think!

We've got a unique challenge ahead of us. There's a staple bar/restaurant in the neighborhood re-opening under new ownership, and they are likely poaching our main cook. 

This one is difficult on a number of levels. Personally, it hurts. This place is really a family, and we've been through a lot of battles together. There's a bond formed from that that just hurts to lose. If the departure happens, there's no ill-will. She thinks this could be a better opportunity. I don't agree, but I hope nothing but the best for her if she does leave (it seems to be a 95% chance at the moment).

On the business side, the challenge is great. A place down the street stealing a very good employee is not great. This other place used to be a dive bar. A popular one, but a dive bar (it's always been a full smoking bar). He's cleaned it up, changed the smoking thing. Guys got deep pockets too. He owns another bar in a town 20 minutes away. Different set-up, but they are doing great. This place down the street doesn't offer the same advantages for the location (this place is much smaller, and doesn't have the parking or the gas station). In the place down the street, they are attempting breakfast (which is why they want our main cook). The place is known as a bar (so is his other place), and making it a breakfast spot to I know will be difficult. But he seems to know what he's doing. And now he's got my main partner in crime with him.

I'm not going to lie. I'm hurting this morning on a number of levels. But I'm getting geared up for the challenge. We've got a great crew in place, and we've just got to do what we do the very best we can. This guy's got money, but he won't outwork me. Competition in the neighborhood isn't necessarily a bad thing. This isn't a "hot" part of town, so anything getting people to come to this part of town for breakfast and lunch is good. 

95%? Have you started advertising the open position? Will it be difficult to fill (not replace, that sounds like a challenge)?

I would try to stay ahead of this the best that you can. Hopefully you and the cook are having open communication about this, as it sounds like you are. 

Good luck!

95%? Have you started advertising the open position? Will it be difficult to fill (not replace, that sounds like a challenge)?

I would try to stay ahead of this the best that you can. Hopefully you and the cook are having open communication about this, as it sounds like you are. 

Good luck!
We have good in house options to explore going forward. Particularly, the girl we hired in January is ready for a larger role, as well as others. My niece also might be moving here, so that's a factor.

We have open communication. It's been a strong relationship over the years. I'm making an attempt to keep her, though I don't think it'll happen. I'll do what I can there, but the focus has to shift to moving forward.

How is being a cook at a bar a “better opportunity” than working at your place?

Is it money, a stepping stone to an even better opportunity? What is the main thing that’s drawing her to the new place?

How is being a cook at a bar a “better opportunity” than working at your place?

Is it money, a stepping stone to an even better opportunity? What is the main thing that’s drawing her to the new place?
It's a couple things. It is $1.75 more hourly, and like here a share of the tips. That share of the tips is the unknown. I am 100% confident that the extra tips that she makes here more than outweigh the added hourly rate. I'm always here, working like a madman and not taking tips. That does not exist there. But it's an unknown at this point and no way to prove it.

But the main reason I think is the opportunity. With me here constantly there's not much room for growth. I know that that's the problem but the trade-off has always been an insane amount of money in tips. Doing it this way the girls take home about $15 an hour, and can both take their children to school and pick them up. I don't think that opportunity exists in any other restaurant.

But it's still an opportunity to do her own thing. And I understand the appeal of that.  Now at the other place she is supposed to be into work at 5: 30 AM. Here, she gets in most days around 8 AM. I have no idea how much she will like that schedule. That's what I do now and it kind of sucks sometimes. 

We'll see. it's scary, but I'm excited for the opportunity that she has as if she goes, as well as the opportunity that we have to grow and get better here.

Thanks for the update @pollardsvision! I always enjoy reading these because you are very honest and candid. As far as your cook position, I haven’t seen him in here lately but @RokNRolehas lots of restaurant experience. Perhaps the time is right to bring you two together?! 

I’ve had many of these “the grass isn’t always greener” conversations over the years. She needs to know that there is no guarantee a position will be open if she wants to come back. You need to do what you need to do too, which is run your business. GL

I’ve had many of these “the grass isn’t always greener” conversations over the years. She needs to know that there is no guarantee a position will be open if she wants to come back. You need to do what you need to do too, which is run your business. GL
We've discussed that a little, but not much and I initially told her we'd do what we could to keep the position open if the other thing didn't work out. But as I'm planning the next phase, I don't see how that would really be possible. I don't have plans to hire anyone new (other than trying to get my niece some hours if she moves here next week), but the change would mean people already on staff get a larger role. If they excel in those roles (and I expect they will), I can't cut them back later on. It just wouldn't be right.

Yesterday was a very difficult, but positive day. Tuesday is the main cook's usual day off, and the two other girls working are the ones I'll really need to rely on going forward. They both want more hours and responsibility. It's a good opportunity for them, and they seem to fully on board for the next step. I'm honestly heartbroken about all of this, but I'm excited about the opportunity I can help provide them. I was already getting worried that I was holding them back from their potential here. With me and the main cook, we can shoulder so much of the load that it does hold other people back.

I'm not there yet, but I'm starting to see the glimmer of the positives that can potentially come of this, and I'm inspired by the challenge ahead.

Emotionally, it's tricky. Losing the cook (absolutely beloved by all) is hard on morale, even for the girls that will get more opportunity now. It makes it worse that this affects me so much personally. I try to hide it the best I can, but for now, I'm not sure it's possible. I did make sure do my crying in the back yesterday, away from them. They know me, how I operate, and that my relationship with the cook is very important. They were champs yesterday, and I know it's an odd spot for them. I'll get better on that front. This job is personal to me. The "it's business, not personal" mantra falls on deaf ears with me. I don't do this to sling hot dogs. I do this because of what this place can mean for the lives of our customers and the staff. I don't have kids. My family lives far away. This is my family. Big losses hurt. It may shorten my life span, but that's how this thing is done here.

The cook is due back in today. If there's still a shot at keeping her, I assume today is the final pitch. I'm still a little torn on how to proceed. On the one hand, she's very good, and I desperately want to keep her. On the other hand, I've put in an incredible amount of work already making this the ideal job for her (others too, but she's been the main beneficiary of all my efforts here). The money's great, it completely suits her lifestyle in a way that I don't think very many jobs would, she has a lot of responsibility, but also a lot of freedom. So much about working in a restaurant is who you work with. I don't really ever think of myself as "the boss", my approach is to always be the best co-worker possible, work like a dog, take the responsibility when things go bad, and give the praise to others when things go well. IMO, that's why we have very little turnover. 

If my efforts in making this a great job for her so far aren't enough, then I'm just not sure anything else I can do will help. 

We'll see.

It's a couple things. It is $1.75 more hourly, and like here a share of the tips. That share of the tips is the unknown. I am 100% confident that the extra tips that she makes here more than outweigh the added hourly rate. I'm always here, working like a madman and not taking tips. That does not exist there. But it's an unknown at this point and no way to prove it.

But the main reason I think is the opportunity. With me here constantly there's not much room for growth. I know that that's the problem but the trade-off has always been an insane amount of money in tips. Doing it this way the girls take home about $15 an hour, and can both take their children to school and pick them up. I don't think that opportunity exists in any other restaurant.

But it's still an opportunity to do her own thing. And I understand the appeal of that.  Now at the other place she is supposed to be into work at 5: 30 AM. Here, she gets in most days around 8 AM. I have no idea how much she will like that schedule. That's what I do now and it kind of sucks sometimes. 

We'll see. it's scary, but I'm excited for the opportunity that she has as if she goes, as well as the opportunity that we have to grow and get better here.
Your attitude about a new place coming in is fantastic.  A rising tide raises all boats, let this new place push you and your team harder.  Congrats on your success and good luck!

Also good luck finding replacement staff, tough to find a quality hard working Line Cook these days.

Your attitude about a new place coming in is fantastic.  A rising tide raises all boats, let this new place push you and your team harder.  Congrats on your success and good luck!

Also good luck finding replacement staff, tough to find a quality hard working Line Cook these days.
If we hire anybody else, it would be part-time. The remaining staff for now, is me, the 2 main girls that will be getting more hours/responsibilities, and the 71 year old that's been there 48. I've made a personal pledge to keep her as long as she wants to be there. With her daughter moving on (she was key us being able to make it work), it becomes extremely difficult to keep my promise on that. The 2 main girls have hearts of gold, and are on board to try to make it work and help her keep her job. They love her like I do. That old woman tries so hard, but there's just only so much she can do. I honestly have no idea how to do it, but I'll try.

I've begun training the 2 main girls to cook a little more, but all I really need from them is to be able to cover some of the slow times when I have other things I have to do. I can handle the bulk of the cooking, for now. Gonna move slow on other stuff. It's a delicate time coming, and when it gets busy, I need people doing what they are best at.

And the 2 main girls, I'm so lucky they are here. They are exactly who you want customers dealing with. So incredibly friendly and caring. Absolute hearts of gold. Customers absolutely love them. We've got some fine tuning to do on the operations. I spend a lot time waiting tables currently. I'm very fast and efficient and give great service, try to be as friendly as I can, but I usually don't have the time or the energy to connect with people like I'd like. The other 2 excel at that, and we'll just have to work on doing it a little more efficiently (for example, customers love them so much, it's hard for them not to get caught up in a conversation when it's really time to cut it off). 

The chances of retaining the main cook aren't zero, but pretty close to it. Yesterday, actually seemed like some progress. I made my case, as well as the others on the staff. The remaining staff, btw, who stand to make a whole bunch more money when she leaves, but still want her to stay because they love her and know it's in her best interest to stay. I've been in other restaurants enough to know that's rare. You don't find selfless people like this in many other restaurants.

The regulars that know are making their case too, and that could matter. She's been at this most of her life (though she's left and done many other jobs and come back). The regulars really are family to her.

She says there's a chance, but I know there's not. I say that because I'm finally figuring out who's pushing her towards this. Her Dad, her brother, and her boyfriend are pushing her to make the move. In fact, I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to leave at all, but with those 3 in her ear, I know how this goes. 

She's getting pulled in a lot of directions here, but I'm finished pulling. I've made my case, she knows me and what she has here. I've made it as hard on her up until now because I don't want her to make a bad decision and I'd be foolish not to try and retain her. But she needs space to make this decision, and I can't emotionally get involved with it anymore. If she somehow stays, great, but I've moved on.

It's still going to take some time to deal with this, emotionally. There's just no way losing a relationship you've invested in so much for 4 years doesn't sting, but the absolute heartbreak from a couple days ago has lifted.

I have a calm determination about where we are going, and I'm excited about the opportunity ahead for the awesome staff still here. 

And my 18 year old niece is a wildcard here. As of now, she's planning to move here (from my hometown 3.5 hours away) next week. The timing has changed a couple of times, but she seems intent on doing it. Now, she's 18 and I know minds can change in an instant, so I'm not completely planning on her being here until she shows up with a U-Haul. Even then, I wouldn't completely count on her loving it here. She's never even been here.

But if for some reason she does come, and seems to like it, then that would be a factor in all of this. She's worked in restaurants since she was 15, and loves it. Before this news, I was searching around for jobs for her if she comes (no way I was cutting the current staff's hours to make room). But we at least likely need part time help now, and obviously, I'd love to work with my favorite niece who's an awesome kid. 

It's a factor, but again, not really considering anything along those lines until the U-Haul pulls in the driveway.

Counter the new restaurant by reviving the sauce burger that Kenneys Drive Ins used to have.  Everybody loved those things. 

It's been an emotional week, but I needed a final decision yesterday and got it (she's leaving). That helps a lot. I spent a couple days trying to keep her, while also trying to start preparing the rest of the staff if she leaves. Obviously, there was only so long those two things could happen simultaneously. 

So, yesterday, I was able to start training the others for the next step in earnest. They seem to understand that my emotion about the main cook's departure has nothing to do with my belief in them and excitement about what we can accomplish going forward. One of them even told me that seeing the way I've handled the cook's departure is one of the reasons why she's here. They know I care deeply about all of them, and that what the cook and I have been through together is just a unique experience. I have a unique appreciation and relationship with all of them. What we do is so similar to a sport. There's just a bond and trust that develops over time that can only happen by being put into seemingly impossible situations over and over again, and working your way out of them together. 

Why ever this may have happened, I know it's going to lead to some necessary changes in how I lead. There are things I've needed to do (well, not do) for a long time. This change leaves me no options. With every departure so far, I've basically just picked up the slack myself. With this one, she's too good for me to do that myself. Over the last 4 years, I've wanted to allow people to focus on what they do best, which is good. But I've been a poor teacher, basically always did what others weren't willing to do myself, and in general, not really been a "boss". There are too many things in this restaurant that nobody else does or can do. I've failed on that end and have to improve. 

So, next week will be a transition week. The departing cook will be here, but not on her typical schedule. She needs the money and the other place doesn't open until Aug. 1. It's a good opportunity to get some good training in with the everyone else, though I'm still working out those details of how it will work next week and beyond.

And my 18 year old niece and her 3 month old puppy will be moving into my basement tomorrow. 

I don't know what the hell's about to happen, but it should be interesting at least. 

The last two days have been very encouraging. The departing cook is working a few days this week because I know she needs the money, but the past two days were just me and the remaining crew. So, a chance to really to do some teaching and see how some of the changes will look.

We've got a long way to go, but man, they've got some fight in them. We've gotten a chance to run through a number of "tests" to see how they'll handle it when things get crazy. It hasn't gone perfectly, of course, and that'll take a long, long time (I've told them the more mistakes we make, the better we'll be), but they don't panic. And they seem to be all-in on what I'm teaching them, and every time I ask more of them, they respond.

The way we've done this for the last four years, to an outsider, would sound ludicrous (because it is). It's worked great, but certainly some flaws and things that aren't sustainable. For example, for some stupid reason, I decided long ago, to do all the burger prep myself and always put up the food deliveries myself. Wednesday's are a critical day because both of those things generally have to happen (burger prep throughout the week too, but happening during a food delivery can be difficult). Wednesday mornings have always been just me and the main cook. She can handle the cooking while I spend some unknown amount of time getting pulled in a few different directions. And I can generally get all that other stuff done, and still be able to help her when I know she needs it. She frees me up to get so much other stuff done (probably main concern with her departing). The others have never worked a Wednesday morning and had no idea what threading that needle can be like. 

So, yesterday, I had them both come in early. Won't always be that way, but I needed them both to know how to do the burger prep and put up the food delivery properly. We worked together, and got all that done (so weird that that scenario has never happened in four years). Most importantly, it turned out to be a pretty busy day, getting all that done, and it didn't feel like the wheels were falling off. In the past, on the main cook's day off, a big day was really hard to pull off. It was always my most difficult day of the week because we didn't do anything differently. Not much point, when it's only one day a week, but obviously, things are different now.

And for the first time, really, I'm actually teaching people. Not that I didn't at all before, but it was different. The departing cook has been off and on since she was 15 (30 years ago). I didn't teach her to cook from the ground up. It was a fine tuning, and really me just figuring out how to fit in with what she does best (though she actually wasn't the main cook when I got there). The biggest thing was putting her there, supporting her the best I can, and letting her shine. On the details, we discussed them figured out what worked best. A great system and relationship for that specific scenario, but not the way it needs to go now.

So, I'm teaching the one girl how to cook from the ground up. From the basics to the philosophy and reasoning behind why we do it a certain way. She's got a generally good handle so far. Good enough that she can handle it for an hour here and there while I get other stuff done. I'm always close by and know what's going on if she has questions. We haven't gotten to the point where she can handle the grill when it gets totally crazy (that will take a long time), but she's starting to be able to stack some orders with me in a support role. By the time lunch hits, I get her back out on the floor doing what she does best for now. Running the grill during lunch can be a total gauntlet. She'll be ready one day, but I'm not close to putting that on her yet. And I'm going to tell you, she's a rainmaker out on the floor. Her biggest challenge there is every male customer is trying to get her phone number and some of the female customers too. Even if she did one day develop into a star line cook, she'd still probably be more important on the floor. They share tips, so the rest of the staff surely wants her there.

One "down the road" item is knife skills. At the moment, we've never had anybody else with proper knife skills. I learned years ago on my own, but it just takes a whole bunch of time and practice. "Home cooking knife skills" really aren't applicable here. Not when you need to fine dice a few quarts of onions quickly, and most importantly, safely (I realize many places have equipment for such things, but I don't think they do as good of job as a good knife in the right hands and cleaning them is such a pain that it's not worth the trouble). I'm showing them the basics of the pinch grip, finger tuck, and guide knuckle. Not encouraging a ton of practice just yet. It's a delicate time, and I don't need somebody cutting themselves right now. But I know the pinch grip along took me about a month of doing it about an hour a day to finally feel comfortable. 

So, maybe, one day. But for now, they are showing they can handle things while I have to get the knife work done. So that's all I need.

I'm still not totally sure on the real reasoning behind the cook leaving, but I'm absolutely confident that the change it has sparked is critical for us. It's forced me to the type of leader that teaches and trusts, and I can see a fire in their eyes from it. This had to happen, and I'm thankful to have gotten pushed into it.

I don't think about it much, and I'm absolutely comfortable with what we've got, but a day ever came that the cook wanted to come back, there'd be a place for that. I think the hours would be there to suit everyone, and she'd be entering an even better place than the one she left.

We're going to keep getting better, and becoming more of a team than ever before. At some point, we'll need one more. Who that may be, I'm not overly concerned with.

I love hearing that you’re growing but I’m mortified that you say you haven’t really been teaching them to be autonomous. But it’s never too late and you’re evolving, which isn’t easy at our age.

I concur that this is turning out to be a move that you’re lucky she pushed you into. The place needs to be able to run whether you’re there or not and now they will be able to (with more time). 

They’re taking your trust and running with it. That’s awesome! Remember it’s not all about you holding on to control. Giving them the tools and power to grow and succeed is fulfilling for them as human beings and this is the next step in unleashing that. You are a tremendous boss.

The 71 year old lady...does she need to work for financial reasons or is it primarily because she’s worked there for nearly 50 years? 

the basics of the pinch grip, finger tuck, and guide knuckle.
Good God I've been trying to have my wife do this for 14 years. Watching her with a knife is agonizing. I grew up working in kitchens through high school and college.

And her knife choices - don't get me started. When she is cooking dinner, she will cut tomatoes, veggies - everything with a freaking steak knife.  :lol:

Drives me nuts.

Beef Ravioli said:
The 71 year old lady...does she need to work for financial reasons or is it primarily because she’s worked there for nearly 50 years? 
Both, though maybe more the latter. She needs the money, though her husband has a very good job and she doesn't have a ton of hours here anyway. It's more that she loves the place, and I care about her and want her here if she wants to be (and we can make the work work). She understands the situation and the realities of a restaurant (she ran it for 44 years).

A couple complicating factors that look to affect the next couple of weeks. The departing cook just found out that the other place doesn't open for another 2 weeks, and she's broke (obviously, nothing about this seems very well thought out). I want her to be okay, and want to get her any hours I can. But it's going to be tricky.

Also, my niece moved in last night. I'm so excited about this for so many reasons. No plans for her to work full-time here barring a very unforeseen circumstance, but I would like to get her some part-time hours and have her be available for fill-in work. I've been playing this all very slowly, not totally believing she'd actually come until I saw it (even then, I know it's only temporary). 

Talking to her here, in person, seeing how her puppy got along her with my dogs (and how she gets along with my wife), I needed to see all that. Things seem initially like they'll work, at least for some time. She's such an awesome kid, and I think her being here for a while will be great for her. She's a very hard worker for an 18 YO, and I ain't gonna lie, I just want to work with my niece some. Sue me. This is a special place, and I'd like for her to experience it. I haven't been as much of a part of her life as I wanted to be all these years, and here's a small chance to help now. That doesn't have to involve a bunch of working here (she's getting at least one other job either way), but it'd be nice.

Anyway, weird time, and figuring out the schedule for next week alone will be very tricky. And still, you know, trying to move forward from our biggest personnel loss to date.

The departing cook just found out that the other place doesn't open for another 2 weeks, and she's broke (obviously, nothing about this seems very well thought out). I want her to be okay, and want to get her any hours I can. But it's going to be tricky.
Wow they’re already stringing here along and she hasn’t even started there yet?! :shock: :thumbdown:  They should’ve put her on the payroll as soon as she quit since they pursued her. But she should’ve negotiated that stuff. If they aren’t taking care of her now it doesn’t look good. But that’s not your problem. Sure try to give her some hours but the current remaining staff is #1.

If they really were going to open in two weeks wouldn’t they need her in the kitchen now for setup and run through? I’m guessing they aren’t opening for at least a month. Cue the next construction excuse for the delays. Again, not your problem worrying about her decisions but OMG they’re treating her this way now she better be ready to get walked all over. Like I said the grass isn’t always greener. 

Glad to see the niece arriving has been great. 

The departing cook just found out that the other place doesn't open for another 2 weeks, and she's broke (obviously, nothing about this seems very well thought out). I want her to be okay, and want to get her any hours I can. But it's going to be tricky.
Wow they’re already stringing here along and she hasn’t even started there yet?!
Yeah, be ready for when she wants to come back, just the way it was in the good old days...

Wow they’re already stringing here along and she hasn’t even started there yet?! :shock: :thumbdown:  They should’ve put her on the payroll as soon as she quit since they pursued her. But she should’ve negotiated that stuff. If they aren’t taking care of her now it doesn’t look good. But that’s not your problem. Sure try to give her some hours but the current remaining staff is #1.

If they really were going to open in two weeks wouldn’t they need her in the kitchen now for setup and run through? I’m guessing they aren’t opening for at least a month. Cue the next construction excuse for the delays. Again, not your problem worrying about her decisions but OMG they’re treating her this way now she better be ready to get walked all over. Like I said the grass isn’t always greener. 

Glad to see the niece arriving has been great. 
Yeah, the whole thing is quite odd. Asking her the details, she doesn't seem to know them like one would expect (of course, she may just not be telling me, but she has no reason to lie about it at this point). She's fantastic at what she does, but planning and assertiveness aren't her strong suit, so knowing her, it's not as surprising as it might be for others. Not that she can't develop those things more. We are learning on our end that, especially when forced to, we can start do things we haven't done before.

But yeah, there should be plenty of work to be had at a restaurant preparing for a re-launch. And it's not a money issue. This cat paid cash for the place, owns a couple of other restaurants and a bunch of convenience stores. He's been coming after her for a couple of years now (for another restaurant), so there must be some plan to help her pay the bills until this thing opens. So, yeah, not my problem (though I can't help caring more than I should).

Fostering a situation that would be good for her to come back remains delicate. The other girls are getting stronger by the day. It's going to get nuts sometimes (as it always does), but many of my major fears of her leaving are being eased each day as I see how they respond to the changes.

The other girls trust me that I'll do right by them, and I will. They know we can make it without her, but that if she ever wanted to come back, it would be a good situation for them too. Having strong, capable people to work with is very important in work and in life. And I think they all do care about my potentially getting a day off at some point. The clearest path to that is the remaining staff continuing to get better, then one more really good person (whether it's the departing cook or somebody else).  

The short term path is clearing up, though I have no idea what things will look like two weeks from now. 

Yesterday was likely the departing cook's last day. The other place opens Friday, which is good because we need her to get there and get started to see how it goes. Yesterday was also my nieces first real day. Though I did pay her to help me on Sunday, which was awesome. My Sunday work is pretty boring and thankless. A little help with that from my favorite lil' homey was a lot of fun. She helped me make chili, made some good progress on her knife skills, and helped me put up the Sam's delivery (never had any help with any of that).

But yesterday was waitress training. It went fine, but today, I throw her to the wolves (yesterday she was an extra person). No matter how quickly she keeps picking it up, today will get nutty. But nutty is really the only way to learn.

Saturday, I had to tell the 71 year old that her hours were cut (with my niece taking them).I didn't tell her the latter part, but surely, she's picked up on that. The issue with the 71 year old, mainly, is the 3 person days. We only roll with 3 people Mon-Thurs. I had been doing 3-person Monday's with the 71 YO and the departing cook (her daughter). That generally goes fine, but the main cook and I have a unique skillset combination to make that work. Hard as hell, but works. And it's just one day a week. With the change, I'd need to do 2 days a week like that, one each with 2 main girls remaining (to give each a day off). Those girls are very good and getting better, willing to do it for her and it could work. Problem is, I just don't have it in me for 2 days every week like that. If I have an option to help me not have to do that (my niece), I have to try it. I'm not getting any younger.

I understand how all this might look to everyone, but I think they understand my niece's roll here is almost certainly temporary. I have no idea how long she'll be her. She's got a fiance back home. Sometimes, she says she's trying to talk him into moving up here. Other times, like last night, she says she's planning on being back home by Christmas. We're having a good time here, but I know she's homesick. She's only been here 5 days so it's early and nothing would shock me. If she left to go back home tomorrow, I'd be super proud of her for even giving it a try and thankful for whatever time we get together. 

So, while it might appear on the surface to be some sort of family regime change of sorts, the short-term plan is really to buy me some time. And most importantly, allow me some time to give the departing cook a shot to go try this other job, and still have a job here if she wanted to return (departing cook understands this, though I'm not sure her mom does). We're going to need another strong person in the coming weeks/months. Whether that is the departing cook returning, a new hire, or my niece staying longer than expected, I have no idea. 

Interesting time, for sure. I've always felt things just sort of work out if you keep working and keep trying your best to do right by people. Sign in my messy office says "Just do the next right thing". 

The short term path is clearing up, though I have no idea what things will look like two weeks from now. 

Yesterday was likely the departing cook's last day. The other place opens Friday, which is good because we need her to get there and get started to see how it goes. Yesterday was also my nieces first real day. Though I did pay her to help me on Sunday, which was awesome. My Sunday work is pretty boring and thankless. A little help with that from my favorite lil' homey was a lot of fun. She helped me make chili, made some good progress on her knife skills, and helped me put up the Sam's delivery (never had any help with any of that).

But yesterday was waitress training. It went fine, but today, I throw her to the wolves (yesterday she was an extra person). No matter how quickly she keeps picking it up, today will get nutty. But nutty is really the only way to learn.

Saturday, I had to tell the 71 year old that her hours were cut (with my niece taking them).I didn't tell her the latter part, but surely, she's picked up on that. The issue with the 71 year old, mainly, is the 3 person days. We only roll with 3 people Mon-Thurs. I had been doing 3-person Monday's with the 71 YO and the departing cook (her daughter). That generally goes fine, but the main cook and I have a unique skillset combination to make that work. Hard as hell, but works. And it's just one day a week. With the change, I'd need to do 2 days a week like that, one each with 2 main girls remaining (to give each a day off). Those girls are very good and getting better, willing to do it for her and it could work. Problem is, I just don't have it in me for 2 days every week like that. If I have an option to help me not have to do that (my niece), I have to try it. I'm not getting any younger.

I understand how all this might look to everyone, but I think they understand my niece's roll here is almost certainly temporary. I have no idea how long she'll be her. She's got a fiance back home. Sometimes, she says she's trying to talk him into moving up here. Other times, like last night, she says she's planning on being back home by Christmas. We're having a good time here, but I know she's homesick. She's only been here 5 days so it's early and nothing would shock me. If she left to go back home tomorrow, I'd be super proud of her for even giving it a try and thankful for whatever time we get together. 

So, while it might appear on the surface to be some sort of family regime change of sorts, the short-term plan is really to buy me some time. And most importantly, allow me some time to give the departing cook a shot to go try this other job, and still have a job here if she wanted to return (departing cook understands this, though I'm not sure her mom does). We're going to need another strong person in the coming weeks/months. Whether that is the departing cook returning, a new hire, or my niece staying longer than expected, I have no idea. 

Interesting time, for sure. I've always felt things just sort of work out if you keep working and keep trying your best to do right by people. Sign in my messy office says "Just do the next right thing". 
My job sounds boring compared to all of that. It sounds like you have things mostly under control. Nice.

Yesterday, my niece got her first real day. She wasn't really ready from a knowledge standpoint (we don't have all those fancy restaurant training systems). Barely knows anything about the menu, doesn't really know where anything goes. I'd thought about calling someone else into help a little. 

But I figured a little mayhem would be exactly what she needed. It was a rather busy day (massive for a Tuesday, really), but it really didn't feel like it. I was shocked when I pulled the daily report. She did say she got frustrated at times, but I didn't see it. When I say it didn't feel like it, that's pretty remarkable. I've worked a lot of different days with a lot of different combinations of people. Me and the other experienced girl should've had been put through hell getting through a day like that with someone on their first day.

It got busy, but she just kept working (she does have her uncle's speed). I told her no matter what happens, just keep working your ### off and have a great attitude with people. When she didn't know what to do, just go refill drinks and bus tables. Everything has a rhythm to it. There were spots I didn't think she could make in time, and I was getting ready to cover if she missed, but she'd get there in time. It helps that she doesn't know a lot people (regulars know her, but not the bulk of customers). Like her uncle, she doesn't get caught up in chitchat. I told her stay friendly, but always keep moving. She did. 

And she's got a love of the dirty work nobody else wants to do (sorry, but like her uncle). I had to kick her off of the dishes a few times. I gotta some dish time throughout the day.

Anyway, homegirl is good. I tried not to let her see my ####-eating grin throughout the day. 

Of course though, she's also a homesick 18 year old girl. She headed down to NC last night after we had dinner to spend a couple days with her boyfriend. She's clearly got what it takes to help her old uncle through a business transition for a couple of weeks. But I'm far more concerned about her making good life decisions. We're not a judgmental family, and frankly, the things that she's done to this point would probably freak most families out. Kids need explore and experience what life has to offer. Make some bad decisions, learn from them, and hopefully, avoid the major ones. She's very open. We talk. I just listen. Hoping like hell she's really got as good of a head on her shoulders as I think she does. Bracing myself if she doesn't. 

Users who are viewing this thread