What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anthony Miller WR Houston Texans (1 Viewer)

5 players off to a good start at Bears training camp

Excerpt:

Anthony Miller (WR)

The rookie second-round pick is dazzling onlookers with his precision route running and the competitive fire he's bringing to practices. Matt Nagy said Monday that Miller is bringing swag to the field, something the young wideout is clearly overflowing with. He's battling for starter's reps right now and if he can carry his early momentum into the preseason, he'll have a good shot at securing them.

5 observations from Bears practice Thursday: Mitch Trubisky's accuracy, live tackling, Anthony Miller's hands and more

Excerpt:

2. Anthony Miller showed off his strong hands on a touchdown grab and another highlight-reel catch, part of a standout practice for the second-round rookie slot receiver.

He’s steadily building a case to be the Bears starting slot receiver for Week 1, although that distinction probably carries less weight when considering how much Nagy moves receivers around and shuffles personnel groupings.

Miller’s touchdown was a fade that he caught above his head. The other catch was a spectacular leaping grab that he snatched off the back of cornerback Marcus Cooper’s head. Cooper was face-guarding him near the left sideline.

On both receptions, Miller secured the ball away from his body. Phil Savage, former Ravens director of player personnel and Browns general manager, described Miller’s hands as “sticky” in a tweet after he attended practice.

@PhilSavage

Based on what I saw today @ChicagoBears camp, @MemphisFB WR @AnthonyMiller_3 is going to be an immediate contributor as a rookie! Arguably, the best player on the field this morning. Super quick, sticky hands and production usually adds up to #NFL success.

11:46 AM - Jul 26, 2018

“It’s a really big part of my game; you’ve got to have strong hands,” Miller said. “Especially at this level, there’s going to be a lot of traffic catches with a lot of guys around you. You’ve got to be able to catch it away from your body.”

To help his hands, Miller sometimes squeezes grip strengtheners when he’s sitting around. And he kneads rice in a bucket in the Bears training room.

As for the fade, it wasn’t a high throw that enabled Miller to show off his hops. Instead, he won the ball with good body position.

“You want to make sure you get your position, first of all, either parallel or in front of him,” Miller said. “And then you want to stack him so (that) you have position over the ball when it comes over you.”

His rushing touchdown was an example of how the Bears’ speedy receivers can threaten defenses on the perimeter. It’s a dimension to the running game that opens all sorts of misdirection and options too.

OK with Miller blowing up the Bears camp, how far do we rank his upside in redraft? Trying to figure out if he is worth shooting for the moon now before the hype train goes out of control or going with a Rishard Matthews type veteran. 

OK with Miller blowing up the Bears camp, how far do we rank his upside in redraft? Trying to figure out if he is worth shooting for the moon now before the hype train goes out of control or going with a Rishard Matthews type veteran. 
I took him in a FBG draft last night in the 13th, last weekend he went in the 14th in the same draft.  If he has a good game Thursday following all of this awesome camp news, I wouldn't be shocked if he jumps to the 10th or 11th.  Guy is the real deal and the cats out of the bag.

Very interesting.  Can you do the same analysis but instead of hand size, sort on the round that the player was drafted in?
There’s a analysis already done with WRs taken in rounds 1 and 2 about their hand size.............there’s a correlation.

Tex

I took him in a FBG draft last night in the 13th, last weekend he went in the 14th in the same draft.  If he has a good game Thursday following all of this awesome camp news, I wouldn't be shocked if he jumps to the 10th or 11th.  Guy is the real deal and the cats out of the bag.
I plan to draft him at 1.6 and Burton who’s available at 1.7. I’ve already traded for Trubisky.

I will take Miller even if Ridley and Moore are still on the board. Then Gallup if he falls to 10 which I don’t believe he will.

Tex

Watching Miller destroy UCF 13-173-3 TDs.

They’re playing top 25 games of 2017.

Tex

I plan to draft him at 1.6 and Burton who’s available at 1.7. I’ve already traded for Trubisky.

I will take Miller even if Ridley and Moore are still on the board. Then Gallup if he falls to 10 which I don’t believe he will.

Tex
:loco:

trade down maybe?   

I considered him yesterday over Ridley in a rookie draft (Moore was gone). It’s hard to not get caught up in all the chatter. Couldn’t do it in the end but looking to acquire at least 1 share because I think there’s more opportunity in Chicago than people assume. 

He went 67th overall today in a best ball draft and I had to do a double-take.

Trying not to get too excited because he is a rookie, but he reminds me of Chris Carter with his great hands and after catch elusiveness and desire to win.  Yes, I am an old Vikings fan.

I don't want to burst everybody's bubble but I don't see it. I've been wrong before and I know you guys are all super excited about him so I'm not going to sit in here and debate it. I'd rather let you guys have your fun. Maybe he'll show me something in the pre-season. He was super productive in college. 

Just wanted to be on record as saying I don't see special yet when I watch him. 

I don't want to burst everybody's bubble but I don't see it. I've been wrong before and I know you guys are all super excited about him so I'm not going to sit in here and debate it. I'd rather let you guys have your fun. Maybe he'll show me something in the pre-season. He was super productive in college. 

I'm back and forth. he has excellent hands and a great football IQ. I'm considering making a push to buy, but I'm not sure I want more stock in this wr class... I own almost everyone already minus those I dont like (Ridley and Moore, and starting to waver on kirk)

Nothing special to see here. Move along....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVf_ptNBzyY

Why would I need to trade down?

Tex
You wouldn't need to.  But you probably could collect some extra picks and still grab Miller and Burton a little later.  But certainly don't jeopardize getting your guys if you think there will be someone else after them.  I 'm just speaking based on my three rookie drafts.  Miller and Burton went a good bit later.  But we live in the social media era where the hype builds quickly so I understand your urgency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing special to see here. Move along....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVf_ptNBzyY
So would David Tyree's career path be a safe one to assume he follows?   :lmao:

I'm only joking.  This kid is a legit talent and all arrows pointing up.  I just temper my expectations a bit because there have been other guys in the past like this who never lived up to the hype for one reason or another.  I hope all the stars align for this kid, but it wouldn't completely shock me if it doesn't.  

You guys got me all antsy in the pantsy with this discussion that I'm fixing to just say 2018 season be damned I'm going to try and buy him and leave my RBs a little short. 

I always saw Miller as a guy who would at some point climb into the low end of round 1 in rookie drafts as the season approached. Kirk was one I saw dropping. 

Miller intrigues me. His hands remind me of OBJ- just can catch pretty much anything. Not to get crazy with comparisons. Some of his 1 handed catches remind me of OBJ's famous catch. 

My expectations are a bit tempered because he is somewhat buried on the depth chart, although it seems like his stock is pointing up and I expect him to at least be the slot guy to start the year. 

Edit: Yep, 2018 be damned, I'm going to go for it and just shoot for 2019 as a competitive season. I'm on board with Miller 

Thanks

He will be 24 in October, just FYI for Dyno players.
I'm not terribly concerned about age when they show the playing maturity of someone that age. someone like Sutton who is 21 might take a year or two to develop. Miller seems like he has it now. 

even so, if he's as good as advertised I'll take it at 1 or 2 less total career years

I went ahead and just rolled the dice and took him as the #48 WR off the board in re-draft PPR. I think that reach will look good after pre season games start and he shoots up boards.

You guys got me all antsy in the pantsy with this discussion that I'm fixing to just say 2018 season be damned I'm going to try and buy him and leave my RBs a little short. 

I always saw Miller as a guy who would at some point climb into the low end of round 1 in rookie drafts as the season approached. Kirk was one I saw dropping. 

Miller intrigues me. His hands remind me of OBJ- just can catch pretty much anything. Not to get crazy with comparisons. Some of his 1 handed catches remind me of OBJ's famous catch. 

My expectations are a bit tempered because he is somewhat buried on the depth chart, although it seems like his stock is pointing up and I expect him to at least be the slot guy to start the year. 

Edit: Yep, 2018 be damned, I'm going to go for it and just shoot for 2019 as a competitive season. I'm on board with Miller 
So, Dr., what is the prognosis on Miller's foot injury last year?  Anything to be concerned with long term?

So, Dr., what is the prognosis on Miller's foot injury last year?  Anything to be concerned with long term?
I made a comment or two page 1 of this thread. I was unaware how he sustained a Jones fracture- suddenly or over time. It was suddenly which js good, and it did not require surgery so even better. 

Gradually over time, and a second fracture quickly after means a bad prognosis and likely surgery. since he had this from an impact and he did not need surgery, good to go as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't be worried about long term issues. 

http://thesportsdaily.com/2018/08/01/10-nfl-rookies-already-shining-in-training-camp/

Anthony Miller

The decision to trade up for Anthony Miller on Day 2 of the draft was a smart move by the Chicago Bears. Not only does he fill a need at receiver, but he just might be the perfect fit in head coach Matt Nagy’s offense, which stresses getting playmakers the ball in space.

Miller has put on a clinic in camp against the Bears’ defensive backs. Former NFL general manager and Senior Bowl director Phil Savage is already predicting a successful first season for the rookie.

Don’t be surprised if Miller ends up the second or third receiving option for the Bears by the end of camp.

Tex

Adam Jahns✔@adamjahns

I continue to be impressed by the separation #Bears rookie WR Anthony Miller gains with his route running -- and it comes against the defensive starters.

9:21 AM - Aug 5, 2018

Adam Jahns✔@adamjahns

Mitch Trubisky is responding. Just hit Anthony Miller for a long gain. Miller, again, had gained significant separation as Jackson and Kwiatkoski chased after him.

10:24 AM - Aug 5, 2018

I'm a biased Bears fan and am buying into the Miller hype - I think it is possible that Arob and Miller have similar yardage totals. 

Normie Tweeter@sandreamy

Initially scoffed at @evansilva implying anthony miller could potentially lead this team in targets, but after three weeks of practices it doesn’t sound too far fetched. He’s looked unreal

9:42 AM - Aug 6, 2018

Normie Tweeter@sandreamy

Initially scoffed at @evansilva implying anthony miller could potentially lead this team in targets, but after three weeks of practices it doesn’t sound too far fetched. He’s looked unreal

9:42 AM - Aug 6, 2018
:thumbup:  Pretty sure I'll be starting him week one. If they had that Fox dinosaur at HC still, he would be buried on the bench but they have a good coach now who will put the best on the field.

I sure am getting a lot of offers for him.  Just turned down two devy picks.  Our rookie draft and devy draft are separate.  

Users who are viewing this thread