What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antrelle Rolle signs w/ Giants (1 Viewer)

r0llin_game

Footballguy
Source coming from Bob Glauber's twitter via Newsday.

I'll update once I get contract info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Giants reach agreement with S Antrel Rolle -- 5 year deal for $37 million, including $15 million gtd.
That's $1 per pass interference call.

Per KFFL:

Newsday reports free-agent FS Antrel Rolle (Cardinals) has signed with the New York Giants, according to a source. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Giants reach agreement with S Antrel Rolle -- 5 year deal for $37 million, including $15 million gtd.
Considering he was reportedly looking for $8 million per year, I'm pretty happy with that contract for the gem of the safety FA market.

Sorry AZ fans - Warner, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, Bertrand Berry all gone. Thats a hell of a nucleus you guys lost.

Being at right place at right time is all this signing is about. He's a "good player" but not worth even close to this kinda money for production.

Schefter

Has there ever been anyone that signs with a new team where the old fan base doesn't sour grape him on the way out? Rolle started as a CB, did not live up to the hype and was switched to Safety where he has done a lot better. I think it's a smart signing for New York and Arizona is losing a lot of pieces...Warner, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle...they will be lucky to sniff a division title again next year.

<_< Please Ken Whisenhunt. I have trust in you. You have turned this organization around. Please have a plan B...C...D. Please Kenny.

There are talks that the Cards like safety Ryan Clark and ILB Foote, and while those would be decent fill-ins, it's not looking good this off-season.

I need a tissue

Being at right place at right time is all this signing is about. He's a "good player" but not worth even close to this kinda money for production.
I may be just a <_< , but considering the lean FA market at safety, the ramifications of an uncapped year, and the $8 million per year that Rolle was reportedly seeking, and the Giants need at safety, I'd say the Giants made out pretty well.

I may be just a <_< , but considering the lean FA market at safety, the ramifications of an uncapped year, and the $8 million per year that Rolle was reportedly seeking, and the Giants need at safety, I'd say the Giants made out pretty well.
I agree. The Giants def. needed or could use Rolle and had the money so why not. Desperation and needs by alot of teams are taking a president over value.

<_< Please Ken Whisenhunt. I have trust in you. You have turned this organization around. Please have a plan B...C...D. Please Kenny.There are talks that the Cards like safety Ryan Clark and ILB Foote, and while those would be decent fill-ins, it's not looking good this off-season.I need a tissue
Be sure to watch alot of Jake Locker this year.

Sorry AZ fans - Warner, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, Bertrand Berry all gone. Thats a hell of a nucleus you guys lost.
A couple of other contributors in Mike Gandy, Chike Okeafor and Neil Rackers may end up leaving as well.
Tons of extra :goodposting: to spend on others??? <glass_half_full>
The other side of the salary cap, is now no with no salary minimum for teams, "small market" teams can spend as little as they like just like in MLB. It looks like Arizona after one good run is looking to become the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL.Goodbye parity.

I'm not actually against them letting Boldin go, ever though Boldin seems like a great value for his talent lvl. Arizona is still well above avg. at the WR position.

But you'd think between Warner leaving and trading Boldin they'd been able to keep at least one of Dansby or Rolle...

Doesn't make much sense at this point. Time will tell.

Not every organization runs their team like Daniel Snyder.

Dockett > Dansby plus we have Cody Brown coming back from injury...hence the money saved with be used to re-sign Dockett long term.

Rolle for that price is a joke but given the uniqueness of this market it's not a surprise. You don't sign two safeties to 7 million + type deals.

Giants fans will enjoy Rolle blowing assignments and getting burned by Austin next year.

Breaston is just as solid as Boldin and he's not injury prone and 31 years old. a 3rd and 4th is solid.

Tweet from Larry Fitzgerald:

Lfitzgerald11

Its tough seeing my good friends/teammates leaving us 2day.I wish them nothing but the best moving forward!! I'll miss ya #81#21#58

half a minute ago via UberTwitter

Not every organization runs their team like Daniel Snyder.Dockett > Dansby plus we have Cody Brown coming back from injury...hence the money saved with be used to re-sign Dockett long term.Rolle for that price is a joke but given the uniqueness of this market it's not a surprise. You don't sign two safeties to 7 million + type deals.Giants fans will enjoy Rolle blowing assignments and getting burned by Austin next year.Breaston is just as solid as Boldin and he's not injury prone and 31 years old. a 3rd and 4th is solid.
Don't post angry. It doesn't help anyone.

That's a ton of loot. He better be worth paying out the richest contract for a safety in the game (and evidently NFL history).

That defense needs leadership, so I hope he can bring that to the table, too. Might be just as important as his actual playing ability.

Isnt Kenny Phillips a FS? Who will play SS, Phillips or Rolle?
Was wondering this as well... hope for giants fans that this isn't an indicator that Phillips is not recovering well??
From Jerry Reese at the combine via Garafolo and The Star-Ledger:
“Kenny’s doing great. He’s on schedule. There’s no pain right now with his knee. He’s got a great attitude about it. We expect him to come back and be 100 percent. I don’t think you can put all your eggs in Kenny’s basket right now because that’s a tough injury to come back from, so we’ll try to be prepared if he doesn’t come back 100 percent.”
In terms of who's a FS and SS, from what I've read and heard from Fewell, the safeties are pretty interchangeable in his defensive schemes.

That's a ton of loot. He better be worth paying out the richest contract for a safety in the game (and evidently NFL history).That defense needs leadership, so I hope he can bring that to the table, too. Might be just as important as his actual playing ability.
He's neither worth it nor a team leader. He is pretty awesome and exciting with a ball in his hands though. If the Giants can create turnover opportunities, you're gonna see a few pick-6s out of Rolle. Those will be outweighed by all the penalties he takes though.

Expensive pickup, but as far as teem needs and fit this is going to prove to be one of the best FA signings of the year IMO.

In terms of who's a FS and SS, from what I've read and heard from Fewell, the safeties are pretty interchangeable in his defensive schemes.
:unsure: This is what I've read too.

Avery said:
blend said:
Go deep said:
Was wondering this as well... hope for giants fans that this isn't an indicator that Phillips is not recovering well??
From Jerry Reese at the combine via Garafolo and The Star-Ledger:
“Kenny’s doing great. He’s on schedule. There’s no pain right now with his knee. He’s got a great attitude about it. We expect him to come back and be 100 percent. I don’t think you can put all your eggs in Kenny’s basket right now because that’s a tough injury to come back from, so we’ll try to be prepared if he doesn’t come back 100 percent.”
Here's a contrary report:
(Rotoworld) According to the National Football Post's Michael Lombardi, there's "major concern" inside the Giants organization that SS Kenny Phillips' surgically repaired knee won't fully heal.

Analysis: "He has bone on bone right now," says Lombardi. This report is interesting because the Giants have been staunchly optimistic in public statements about Phillips. Coach Tom Coughlin denied Saturday that the Antrel Rolle signing was in any way related to Phillips, though speculation exists to the contrary. Phillips is targeting OTAs for a return to the field.
It just seems so odd that they'd give up that kind of cash for another safety IF Phillips was good.

Avery said:
blend said:
Go deep said:
From Jerry Reese at the combine via Garafolo and The Star-Ledger:“Kenny’s doing great. He’s on schedule. There’s no pain right now with his knee. He’s got a great attitude about it. We expect him to come back and be 100 percent. I don’t think you can put all your eggs in Kenny’s basket right now because that’s a tough injury to come back from, so we’ll try to be prepared if he doesn’t come back 100 percent.”

Here's a contrary report:(Rotoworld) According to the National Football Post's Michael Lombardi, there's "major concern" inside the Giants organization that SS Kenny Phillips' surgically repaired knee won't fully heal.

Analysis: "He has bone on bone right now," says Lombardi. This report is interesting because the Giants have been staunchly optimistic in public statements about Phillips. Coach Tom Coughlin denied Saturday that the Antrel Rolle signing was in any way related to Phillips, though speculation exists to the contrary. Phillips is targeting OTAs for a return to the field.

It just seems so odd that they'd give up that kind of cash for another safety IF Phillips was good.
Look at your sources when you read a story.The Giants GM said Phillips is doing great and they expect him back 100% this year, but the Giants are doing their due diligence with a backup plan for it is a serious injury.

The contrary post is from the National Football Post, a national publication with no special access to the Giants organization, and references nobody specially but Lombardi who wrote the story.

Which story sounds like it has more credibility to you?

Also look a the Giants recent history of drafting. They drafted Kiwi in the first when they already had DEs Strahan, Osi and Tuck on the roster. Obviously, the Giants don't mind brining in a lot of talent to create depth at a position. Also in this case, outside of Phillips the Giants have no starting quality safeties on the roster. Why's it so outlandish to think they'd want at least 2?

BTW, Rolle claims that the Cardinals were willing to match any offer, so it really came down to him choosing between staying in AZ or going to NY. He chose NY. Screw him.

BTW, Rolle claims that the Cardinals were willing to match any offer, so it really came down to him choosing between staying in AZ or going to NY. He chose NY. Screw him.
So the Card cut him, let him go pursue other options where he found an organization that he liked and wanted him so he signed with them and he's the #####? :lol: Edit to add: Realizing you're an angry Cards fan, it's good to vent. Kinda like when you break up with your girlfriend, she starts dating another guy so she's a #####. It's all good.

So the Card cut him, let him go pursue other options where he found an organization that he liked and wanted him so he signed with them and he's the #####? :lol: Edit to add: Realizing you're an angry Cards fan, it's good to vent. Kinda like when you break up with your girlfriend, she starts dating another guy so she's a #####. It's all good.
Yeah, I know. But the Cards cut him for business reasons (something like 4M bonus and 8M salary due next year). It was well understood that they still wanted him and were going to make a play for him with a new contract. I don't think there was any animosity on the business end.But seriously, I do think I'd rather have Rhodes than Rolle anyway, and Rhodes is cheaper. So this one works out better for the Cards. It's just hard to see guys that the Cardinals drafted and brought up as rookies leaving.

So the Card cut him, let him go pursue other options where he found an organization that he liked and wanted him so he signed with them and he's the #####? :thumbup: Edit to add: Realizing you're an angry Cards fan, it's good to vent. Kinda like when you break up with your girlfriend, she starts dating another guy so she's a #####. It's all good.
Yeah, I know. But the Cards cut him for business reasons (something like 4M bonus and 8M salary due next year). It was well understood that they still wanted him and were going to make a play for him with a new contract. I don't think there was any animosity on the business end.But seriously, I do think I'd rather have Rhodes than Rolle anyway, and Rhodes is cheaper. So this one works out better for the Cards. It's just hard to see guys that the Cardinals drafted and brought up as rookies leaving.
Fair enough.I know a number of Cards fans who are saying similar things.

Having said that, when good defensive minds like Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine bench and trade Rhodes away and other good defensive minds like the staffs of the Bears, Giants and Eagles hotly pursue Rolle, I'm not sure that all things being equal Rhodes is the guy out of the two that I would want on my team if given the choice.

So the Card cut him, let him go pursue other options where he found an organization that he liked and wanted him so he signed with them and he's the #####? :thumbup: Edit to add: Realizing you're an angry Cards fan, it's good to vent. Kinda like when you break up with your girlfriend, she starts dating another guy so she's a #####. It's all good.

Having said that, when good defensive minds like Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine bench and trade Rhodes away and other good defensive minds like the staffs of the Bears, Giants and Eagles hotly pursue Rolle, I'm not sure that all things being equal Rhodes is the guy out of the two that I would want on my team if given the choice.
Yep, I agree with that too. I don't know anything. Seriously. I'm just a fan watching a game and doing my best to follow what is going on. It's hard to question the judgement of guys who do this 24/7 for a living.But from this fan's perspective, screw Rolle.

So the Card cut him, let him go pursue other options where he found an organization that he liked and wanted him so he signed with them and he's the #####? :shock: Edit to add: Realizing you're an angry Cards fan, it's good to vent. Kinda like when you break up with your girlfriend, she starts dating another guy so she's a #####. It's all good.

Yep, I agree with that too. I don't know anything. Seriously. I'm just a fan watching a game and doing my best to follow what is going on. It's hard to question the judgement of guys who do this 24/7 for a living.But from this fan's perspective, screw Rolle.
:thumbup: I like it.

Too often around here, you see guys posting who are all too sure they are right and can't separate their fandom from their dogged opinions.

Just gave you a five star rating. :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread