What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

Murray spending the first night of FA (aka the eve of his first big payday) with Dallas personnel has gotta mean he's leaning towards staying, right? No visits reported and he's the top RB on the market by far.
Not sure anything means anything anymore. Until they sign, really, nothing is an indication of anything IMO.

Fun to try and figure out, but it's like trying to figure out of the coin I am about to flip will be heads or tails, then flipping it.
Couldn't agree more! Jaguars and to a lesser extent the Raiders are still in the mix

Jags, Murray currently “not likely,” but could change

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
murray2.jpg
Getty Images
As running back DeMarco Murray tries to parlay an NFL-leading 1,845 rushing yards into a new contract, various teams are interested. But not yet at the compensation level Murray desires.

The Raiders are involved, and the Cowboys would like to keep Murray around, on their terms. The Jaguars also are interested.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s currently “not likely” that Murray will join the Jaguars. But that could change.

It could change, apparently, if Murray agrees to take less than he wants, or if the Jaguars agree to pay more than they’re willing to pay.

It’s not known what Murray wants or what he could get. Given the rest of the running back market, $8 million annually with $20 million guaranteed could be a reasonable target.

Rotoworld:

The Eagles are still in the running for free agent DeMarco Murray despite signing Ryan Mathews to a three-year contract.
Chip Kelly has gone maverick again, this time pursuing not one but two Pro Bowl running backs. Philadelphia does have the necessary cap room to sign both (even after taking on Sam Bradford's massive contract), but it's hard to believe they would enter a bidding war for Murray just hours after signing Mathews. It's possible Murray's camp is using this as a negotiating ploy to drive up his price, though it's also worth mentioning Murray and Bradford attended school together at Oklahoma and remain close friends. We'd still consider Oakland and Dallas the two clear-cut frontrunners to land Murray, but at this point the Eagles could do almost anything and it wouldn't surprise us.

Related: Eagles

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 11 - 2:18 PM

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet1m1 minute ago

To ask a question and then answer it myself: Did the #Eagles really get DeMarco Murray? Yes. This is very real.

To ask a question and then answer it myself: Did the #Eagles really get DeMarco Murray? Yes. This is very real.
BS

@RapSheet: To ask a question and then answer it myself: Are the #Eagles in it for DeMarco Murray? Yes. it is very real.

Why are you changing what he wrote? He said are the eagles "in it" for DeMarco Murray not did the eagles get Murray.

Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports free agent DeMarco Murray's "top choice" is to play for the Eagles.
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported this afternoon that Murray personally reached out to the Eagles, perhaps with designs on facing the Cowboys twice per year. Murray feels slapped in the face by Dallas, which rode him into the ground in 2014 on a career-threatening workload, before offering him a deal worth just $5 million per year. The level of Philadelphia's interest is not known, but Murray might be willing to go there on a cost-friendly deal to spite the Cowboys.

Related: Cowboys, Eagles

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter
Mar 11 - 4:43 PM

Take the most guaranteed money and run Demarco. Will likely be his only FA contract he signs. He's made less than $3 mil base salary for almost 1000 carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the most guaranteed money and run Demarco. Will likely be his only FA contract he signs. He's made less than $3 mil base salary for almost 1000 carries.
yep, this is his last shot for a big contract and coincidently it's coming off his biggest season by far. he basically doubled his touches from any previous season. the perfect storm, but i'm sure teams realize this season was a huge outlier. either way he needs to bank now off his miracle 2014 season.

yep, this is his last shot for a big contract and coincidently it's coming off his biggest season by far. he basically doubled his touched from any previous season. the perfect storm, but i'm sure teams realize this season was a huge outlier. either way he needs to bank now off his miracle 2014 season.
That's fine if that is what he wants to, but amazingly, SOME guys out there look at more than just the highest dollar amount.

I STILL think he stays in Dallas.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent DeMarco Murray is expected to make a decision by Wednesday evening, and that the Raiders are believed to be offering the most money.

Oakland, Dallas, Philadelphia and Jacksonville are believed to be the four teams in the running. Yahoo's Charles Robinson reported Wednesday afternoon that Murray's "top choice" was to play for the Eagles. Reports have suggested the Cowboys have offered $5 million annually. Re-upping with the Cowboys makes by far the most sense from a football standpoint, but Murray has appeared quite peeved at Dallas' handling of his free agency.

Related: Jaguars, Cowboys, Raiders, Eagles

Source: Around The NFL on Twitter
Mar 11 - 8:08 PM

yep, this is his last shot for a big contract and coincidently it's coming off his biggest season by far. he basically doubled his touched from any previous season. the perfect storm, but i'm sure teams realize this season was a huge outlier. either way he needs to bank now off his miracle 2014 season.
That's fine if that is what he wants to, but amazingly, SOME guys out there look at more than just the highest dollar amount.

I STILL think he stays in Dallas.
all depends on whether he values money or winning. this is likely his last chance at a big contract.

If those guys are running backs, they are idiots.

all depends on whether he values money or winning. this is likely his last chance at a big contract.
It doesnt have to be an all or nothing. He can value both things.

Of course this is his last chance to land a "big" contract. Just depends on the offers really. If Dallas is really offering 5 and someone else is offering 8, that doesnt necessarily mean he values money more than winning if he takes the 8. Not like he would go to Oakland/Jax to try and lose. The perceived chances of winning would be less though.

If someone offers 6 and he takes that over Dallas offering 5, then yeah, I think I would say he values money over winning if it's that close.

There has to be a cutoff point somewhere to where you can't jsut say "he values money over winning" if he decides to take a bigger deal somewhere. If someone offers him 12 million a year and he takes that while Dallas was offering the veteran minimum, would you say he values money over winning by taking that 12 mill a year?

He will have to take a little less to stay in Dallas. I still think he will.

I keep hearing this from people.

Why does it make someone an idiot to take less if they know they will be happy? Unless the difference in money is rather large, is he really an idiot to take 6 million a year from Dallas if someone is offering 7 million a year?

Obviously if he did that then his intent isn't strictly to make as much money as possible. I didn't know that automatically makes someone an idiot.

It doesnt have to be an all or nothing. He can value both things.

Of course this is his last chance to land a "big" contract. Just depends on the offers really. If Dallas is really offering 5 and someone else is offering 8, that doesnt necessarily mean he values money more than winning if he takes the 8. Not like he would go to Oakland/Jax to try and lose. The perceived chances of winning would be less though.

If someone offers 6 and he takes that over Dallas offering 5, then yeah, I think I would say he values money over winning if it's that close.

There has to be a cutoff point somewhere to where you can't jsut say "he values money over winning" if he decides to take a bigger deal somewhere. If someone offers him 12 million a year and he takes that while Dallas was offering the veteran minimum, would you say he values money over winning by taking that 12 mill a year?

He will have to take a little less to stay in Dallas. I still think he will.
This year he has a better chance to win in Dallas, but Romo is 35 next month and has been banged up. On the other hand both the Jags and Raiders have young QBs and seem to be turning things around.

DeMarco Murray situation heating up

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2015, 5:59 PM EDT

Pro Bowl Getty Images

The NFL 2014 rushing leader and offensive player of the year is currently free to sign with any team. Through more than 24 hours of free agency, he hasn’t.

That could change soon.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, things are expected to heat up, with something possibly happening later tonight.

The candidates are the Raiders, Eagles, Jaguars, and Cowboys. At this point, it’s unclear which if any team is leading the way.

As to the Eagles, someone leaked to Chris Mortensen of ESPN that Murray has called coach Chip Kelly. It’s unclear whether Murray was trying to sell Kelly on offering more money or whether Kelly was trying to sell Murray on taking whatever has been offered. Given the decision to pay Ryan Mathews and the presence of Darren Sproles, the Eagles surely don’t envision Murray to be a workhorse — and their offer surely reflects that.

Ultimately, whoever is willing to give him the biggest role would in theory be willing to pay him the most. Except for the Cowboys, who seem to be unwilling to pay handsomely for the ability to pound himself ugly.

This year he has a better chance to win in Dallas, but Romo is 35 next month and has been banged up. On the other hand both the Jags and Raiders have young QBs and seem to be turning things around.
If you drive in the wrong direction for 100 miles and turn around, you got a long ways to go to get back to where you were.

If they can talk Murray into coming there with the "we have young QBs and are turning things around" crap, then Murray is straight up one of the dumbest people ever. The Jags and Raiders are terrible.

Rotoworld:

According to Profootballtalk, "at least one of the teams" pursuing free agent DeMarco Murray believes Murray will end up back in Dallas.

Despite all of the fits Murray has thrown regarding Dallas' contract offer -- reported to be $5 million per year -- our expectation has been and will continue to be that he'll return to the Cowboys. He's not going to produce more elsewhere, and we're similarly skeptical Murray would get significantly more money from another team. NFL clubs don't break the bank on 27-year-old running backs coming off 500-touch seasons. The Cowboys have not dived into the free agent running back market, which is probably the strongest sign that they too believe there's a good chance Murray stays put.

Related: Cowboys

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter
Mar 11 - 9:27 PM

If you drive in the wrong direction for 100 miles and turn around, you got a long ways to go to get back to where you were.

If they can talk Murray into coming there with the "we have young QBs and are turning things around" crap, then Murray is straight up one of the dumbest people ever. The Jags and Raiders are terrible.
All I know is that Romo is 35 and has already had two surgeries on his back. Won't surprise me if this is his last year and then what do the Cowboys have at QB?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2014/12/08/special-edition-tony-romo-human

He should take the money and run. If the Raiders are offering 8 mil per with a big signing bonus and guaranteed money he's dumb if he doesn't take it.

All I know is that Romo is 35 and has already had two surgeries on his back. Won't surprise me if this is his last year and then what do the Cowboys have at QB?
If they fall apart he can request a trade.

WHo knows. 1 year of a chance is better than 3-4 years of royal suck

He should take the money and run. If the Raiders are offering 8 mil per with a big signing bonus and guaranteed money he's dumb if he doesn't take it.
I think if he stays in Dallas for less he should have to live in one of those assisted living places for the profoundly MR

I keep hearing this from people.

Why does it make someone an idiot to take less if they know they will be happy? Unless the difference in money is rather large, is he really an idiot to take 6 million a year from Dallas if someone is offering 7 million a year?

Obviously if he did that then his intent isn't strictly to make as much money as possible. I didn't know that automatically makes someone an idiot.
You are right, it doesn't. I think DeMarco wants to stay in Dallas as well. I think most free agents would rather stay with the team that drafted them, for the most part.

You are right, it doesn't. I think DeMarco wants to stay in Dallas as well. I think most free agents would rather stay with the team that drafted them, for the most part.
Agreed. I think people overlook the non-football aspects of this. People don't want to pack up all of their things and move, leave all their friends, make their kids go to a new school and make new friends, etc.

How much or a raise would it take for people posting in this thread to pack up their families and move? I'd imagine most people here could make at least 20% more if they started looking for jobs with the entire country as their searching grounds.

Demarco getting on a plane to Philly screams of an agent leaking bull#### so he drives his clients price up. Let's see if Jerry falls for the BS.

Agreed. I think people overlook the non-football aspects of this. People don't want to pack up all of their things and move, leave all their friends, make their kids go to a new school and make new friends, etc.

How much or a raise would it take for people posting in this thread to pack up their families and move? I'd imagine most people here could make at least 20% more if they started looking for jobs with the entire country as their searching grounds.
Living expenses would be a gigantic factor if a guy is looking for more money. I can make 3x what I make now if I was to move to a few other cities, but the living expenses would cancel that out.

Not to mention the cost of selling/buying a house, moving, and whatever other costs there are.

Then of course the fact that you have to move your family to an unfamiliar city, and as you mentioned the friends and family part.

Lot of factors go into this stuff, but many people can't get past the $$$$ on the contract.

with CA taxes, 8 million there is less than 5 million in TX
I dont think that is accurate, not even remotely close to accurate
This highest marginal CA tax bracket is 13.3%. Since they play 8 home games, the $4 million salary attributed to those games (assuming an $8 mil yearly) would be taxed roughly $500K. If it is $ decision, I'd take the CA $8 over the $5 TX in a heartbeat. But, it's the Raiders...

@AlbertBreer 2m

Sense with clubs that DeMarco Murray wants to stay in Dallas but drive the price up. Cowboys have been very disciplined.

It just seems to me that Murray would be best off getting Dallas to pay him 6.5 a year and guaranteeing a good portion. He has the chance to win big in that system and you can't ask for more PUB than you get in Dallas. A winning RB in Dallas makes a ton of money outside of the NFL. A TON of money. If Emmitt could speak he would still be a talking head for the NFL or ESPN. Personally, I liked him regardless of his speech as I am not one to worry about perfection. In fact, I could take Emmitt over the crazy hair of what ever his name is on the NFL network. Hair looks like something out of dragon ball Z that my son watched all the time.

Murray will get run into the ground in Oak and in Philly because Dirty is no QB. If he stays in Dallas he gets to run behind perhaps the best O line in football, with an Elite QB playing his best football. I just see it as the best move for a guy that needs blocking in order to avoid being pounded down in and down out.

I'm calling it now. If he ends up on any team without an Elite QB and a good O line he doesn't make it though the season, under 500 yards rushing and no more than 4 scores. If he stays in Dallas, he not only makes it through the season, he plays in the Championship Game this year with a chance to go to the SB while running for 1600+ and 15 scores.

It just seems to me that Murray would be best off getting Dallas to pay him 6.5 a year and guaranteeing a good portion. He has the chance to win big in that system and you can't ask for more PUB than you get in Dallas. A winning RB in Dallas makes a ton of money outside of the NFL. A TON of money. If Emmitt could speak he would still be a talking head for the NFL or ESPN. Personally, I liked him regardless of his speech as I am not one to worry about perfection. In fact, I could take Emmitt over the crazy hair of what ever his name is on the NFL network. Hair looks like something out of dragon ball Z that my son watched all the time.

Murray will get run into the ground in Oak and in Philly because Dirty is no QB. If he stays in Dallas he gets to run behind perhaps the best O line in football, with an Elite QB playing his best football. I just see it as the best move for a guy that needs blocking in order to avoid being pounded down in and down out.

I'm calling it now. If he ends up on any team without an Elite QB and a good O line he doesn't make it though the season, under 500 yards rushing and no more than 4 scores. If he stays in Dallas, he not only makes it through the season, he plays in the Championship Game this year with a chance to go to the SB while running for 1600+ and 15 scores.
wat!

If you're still awake and have Twitter go to @KevinMatuszak. Apparently he broke the Murray story before Schefter and now says Murray is coming to the Eagles bacause the deal is done.

Users who are viewing this thread