What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else have that one friend that no matter what you tell them it goes in 1 ear & out the other & then acts surprised as if they were never told? (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
I've probably talked about my one buddy on here before. Very spoiled as a kid was never told no etc. Whenever you talk to him about what he's up to he doesn't just you what he's doing but tried to act like what he's doing is far more important and better then what you were talking about. He's also incredible selfish at times. 

Recently as last week I went out with him first time in 2 months we went and Saw 1917 (A tradition seeing Emmy nominee movies we started yrs ago) and I told him do to some expenses that creeped up that were not expected (Had a tooth issue and had to change dentist) among some stuff I want to save up for the summer I cannot be going out to eat, concerts I haven't already put out for or games as I needed to save money. My hours at work are always cut around this time a year and trying to pick up extra hours or shifts unless some emergency happens are hard to come by. This was before we got out of the car at the theatre. He even says ok. So Thursday he texts me if I want to see Jeff Dunham. I like Dunham but I was not interested in paying big $$$$ to see him. So I told him I'm working Sunday since theres no football and I won't be out in time to get to the concert. He says ok. I figured well maybe he forgot about what we talked about just 3 days ago so I let it go. I'm off today so he asks me if I want to go to the basketball game tomorrow night (Sixers vs Warriors). Not really a Sixers fan but I do love Kerr and Curry but again I'm trying to save money. SO I just lied to him with I'm working over night on Tues so I can do something during the day. He'll ask me after this week if we are off the same days for next week most likely if I want to attend some show or game. This is after I told him sorry I'm saving money right now.

Meanwhile if I tell him again about saving money and enforcing the fact I told him this already he'll act surprised or say its not that much money. Meanwhile if you forget one thing he tells you and you ask he acts like its the end of the world. Its really frustrating especially when besides myself the only two friends he really has is a former coworker, his sister and dad. However I'm the only one he consistently hangs out with. SO I get the brunt of his "can we do stuff". Its really frustrating especially when the guy doesn't even want to make more friends. Try to include him in some stuff like concerts I go to with others and such hoping he meets some new friends and what not. Wouldn't take him out drinking as he doesn't drink and usually in bed by 11PM at night. I had a co worker who was able to get really good illegal videos he'd download on CDs of the latest movies. I'd go to a friend from HS house who has a sweet Theatre type set up in his basement he has a wife and 2 kids and we usually invite our other friends single and couples with kids for movie nights. Some snacks and six packs/wine etc were usually brought and shared. Its a fun time for all. My friends with kids love it as we might watch a kids movie and don't have to put up with families with annoying kids they can't control at the theatre, can stop it for bathroom breaks etc. Kids are brought sometimes in their PJs that way if they fall asleep they can bring em home put them to bed. Invited my buddy a few times but the minute I say its an illegal video he wants no part of it. The dude Is the literal definition of a Saint in playing things by the book. 

Honestly at a loss of what to do with him at this point

Curry hasn't played since October.   HTH.
Yeah I totally forgot about that. I have really not followed a ton of NBA at all this year. First time in yrs I could count the number of games I've seen start to finish on my two hands and still have enough room to add more. 

Curry hasn't played since October.   HTH.
And to add to this my friend really isn't a fan of the Philly sports teams. His favorite is basketball but he only really really follows the teams if they are good. While the Sixers tank he barely asked me once if I wanted to go to a game. About 3-4 yrs Phillies really struggling got some fairly good seats to a game (can't remember against but also bad) and he had zero interest in going. Dude is a definition of a bandwagon fan and to top it off all his apparent knowledge is hot takes from the local ignorant Jabronies on the sports talk radio shows 

Friends no., wife, I plead the 5th.
wives and husbands and life partners in general are exempt from this. i'm pretty sure the behavior is specifically listed in the job description. but who pays attention.

i have learned to just ignore the behavior in people like this, i feel like i know too many, and keep them around for entertainment value. they're really good for venting, they don't remember anything u said.

I give a pass for people who are anxious, depressed, overly stressed. They try to listen but in that state of mind, it could be forgotten. With my parents, they get a pass too. Sucks getting old. Need to be pretty sure why it may be before saying things like are you stupid, deaf, I told you before... IMO, better to be kind.

One of my golf buddies is like this. Pretty sure it's due to undiagnosed ADHD. At least once per round, the following exchange will take place:

Him [talking to no one in particular]: How far is the pin? Feels like about 150.
Me: The yardage marker says 125.
Him: Yeah, definitely 150. [pulls out 7-iron, proceeds to hit ball 25 yards over the green]
Him: What the hell? I thought you said "150"?!

All of my wife's best girlfriends (4) repeat the same relationship blunders over and over and over. Beautiful, smart, talented, successful women all of them- each with their own particular set of issues- who all refuse to listen to friends or try any kind of therapy (individual or couples) to move themselves past it. All still single. 

Based on your post, it doesn't seem like you really consider him a friend anymore.  If you don't want to break the news to him, just start ignoring him until he gets the message.     :shrug:  

CurlyNight said:
I give a pass for people who are anxious, depressed, overly stressed. They try to listen but in that state of mind, it could be forgotten. With my parents, they get a pass too. Sucks getting old. Need to be pretty sure why it may be before saying things like are you stupid, deaf, I told you before... IMO, better to be kind.

[scooter] said:
One of my golf buddies is like this. Pretty sure it's due to undiagnosed ADHD. At least once per round, the following exchange will take place:

Him [talking to no one in particular]: How far is the pin? Feels like about 150.
Me: The yardage marker says 125.
Him: Yeah, definitely 150. [pulls out 7-iron, proceeds to hit ball 25 yards over the green]
Him: What the hell? I thought you said "150"?!
I’m like this. It’s certainly intentional or because I’m self absorbed. There’s just so much running through my head at all times it’s impossible to manage all the time. 

Im sure there’s a little pill that would help but I don’t want it.  

Users who are viewing this thread