What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone like garbage picking more than the waiver wire? (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Anyone like garbage picking more than the waiver wire? I usually find a lot gems are players other teams DROP for the current flavor of the week. I usually don't insert any claims for players (unless I really like them) and get more excited about picking up players that other teams have dropped.

*shrugs*

Vereen just got dropped. Pop that tag
There you go. :) I just put in a claim for Steven Jackson myself. My team is 4 - 2 and a shoo-in to make the playoffs. It's a 2PPR, so adding Jackson will be $$$.
Not sure what a "shoo" is, but I wouldn't consider 4-2 a shoe-in to make the playoffs unless your league playoffs start this week. Lot's of good info here though. Please keep posting new threads.

There you go. :) I just put in a claim for Steven Jackson myself. My team is 4 - 2 and a shoo-in to make the playoffs. It's a 2PPR, so adding Jackson will be $$$.
Not sure what a "shoo" is, but I wouldn't consider 4-2 a shoe-in to make the playoffs unless your league playoffs start this week. Lot's of good info here though. Please keep posting new threads.
http://grammarist.com/spelling/shoo-in/

:own3d: See what happens when you are both a #### and uninformed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, what do you know. I've always been told it's shoe-in, due to the fact that you already have "one shoe in the door". Not sure why it's shoo, when to me, that means to drive something unwanted away. Strange.

Edit: Ok, everyone, you can get over it. I admitted being wrong. I'll be blocking all these guys posts from now on so I won't make the same mistake of fact checking before posting out of anger at the nonsense this guy keeps spewing.

I love it. I don't know if it applies the same in dynasty leagues, but I get much more excited, the majority of the time, to get that waiver email not to see who I got, but to see who others have dropped for the flavor of the week. Then I rush to FCFS waivers to get them. I play in deep leagues, so sometimes it's exciting to see a guy like Nick Toon dropped. I had a real exciting moment in one league a few weeks ago when Brian Quick was dropped.

My team has a good mix of both:

Garbage Picking:

Justin Blackmon

Andre Ellington

Ben Roethlisberger

Waiver Wire:

Keenan Allen

Martellus Bennett

Kansas City Chiefs

Pow

Just grabbed Brock Osweiler today in my main dynasty when another owner dumped him.

QBs aren't super valuable, but he's still worth a 2nd or 3rd maybe.

I call this guy Slot Machine. Yes, he did just drop Keenan Allen for Riley Cooper this morning. My theory is that he enjoys watching people empty out their waiver budgets bidding on his dropped players. The puzzling thing is he makes a lot of drops at random times, and not in tandem with an add. He really just wanted Amendola, Johnson and Smith off his roster immediately, and figured he'd worry about a replacement at a later date.

Wed, Oct 16
XXXX dropped Geno Smith, NYJ QB to Waivers
Wed, Oct 16
XXXX dropped Keenan Allen, SD WR to Waivers
XXXX added Riley Cooper, Phi WR from Waivers to Bench for $1
Wed, Oct 2
XXXX dropped Chris Johnson, Ten RB to Waivers
Tue, Sep 17
XXXX dropped Danny Amendola, NE WR to Waivers

Absolutely. We run FAAB each Weds at 11:30 PM, and then FCFS Waivers open immediately after. One of my favorite things to do is sit out the FAAB period, and then scoop up the trash. Got Jason Avant, Kenny Stills, Chris Ivory this way, and they're still clinging onto a roster spot.

I always enjoy seeing guys have to play with my garbage while I'm picking up the Keenan Allen's of the world.
I've had Dropper's Remorse a few times this year, but the roster limits make for some difficult decisions. Then later my choice was proven correct. For example I dropped EJ Manuel for Pryor after week 1, then Manuel got hurt. Then I dropped Hopkins for Jeffery, and right after that, Houston started to implode. Manuel and Hopkins were promptly picked up after I dumped them and the Manuel owner started him week 4 to cover Cam Newton's bye week, and benched Carson Palmer. The difference in points cost him the game.

I always enjoy seeing guys have to play with my garbage while I'm picking up the Keenan Allen's of the world.
I've had Dropper's Remorse a few times this year, but the roster limits make for some difficult decisions. Then later my choice was proven correct. For example I dropped EJ Manuel for Pryor after week 1, then Manuel got hurt. Then I dropped Hopkins for Jeffery, and right after that, Houston started to implode. Manuel and Hopkins were promptly picked up after I dumped them and the Manuel owner started him week 4 to cover Cam Newton's bye week, and benched Carson Palmer. The difference in points cost him the game.
We had similar draft tastes it seems. Stupid me is still holding on to Hopkins. I got Pryor as well thank goodness.

Love seeing who gets cut each week. Gotta be quick though. The Hawks are always ready to strike seconds after the bodies drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u0GJdNu1Ds

Anyone like garbage picking more than the waiver wire? I usually find a lot gems are players other teams DROP for the current flavor of the week. I usually don't insert any claims for players (unless I really like them) and get more excited about picking up players that other teams have dropped.

*shrugs*
i get your love to pick up guys who were dropped, and we all do that... but saying you don't usually even put in claims for guys off waivers, and aren't working the waiver wire, means you're not a proactive and strong fantasy player. Of course grab guys who got dropped, but you gotta work the wire

Garbage picking? Not in my leagues.
Oh come on. I play in deep leagues, and I still see drops every couple weeks that make me run to the wire during FCFS. Just tonight I scooped up Goodson (IR stash), Dunbar, and Ryan Williams across a couple different leagues.

Nothing magical. Definitely garbage picking. But I still liked the prospect of stashing them over my end-of-bench guys.

*shrugs*
i get your love to pick up guys who were dropped, and we all do that... but saying you don't usually even put in claims for guys off waivers, and aren't working the waiver wire, means you're not a proactive and strong fantasy player. Of course grab guys who got dropped, but you gotta work the wire
Why? I have confidence in the "talent" of my players. If they don't produce one week, I'm not going to flat out drop them for some dude who happened to get a few goalline receptions in Week 6. The guys that people are usually scrambling to pickup are usually already on my team.

I haven't really missed out on anyone. I run 4-teams, if someone's out there that shouldn't be I grab them. But for the most part I haven't missed out on anyone that would make or break my season. But when you're gonna drop Steven Jackson or Miles Austin or Jermichael Finley; I'm gonna stash them on my roster. I might not start them, but I'll wait for the time is right.

Don't hate me if that time is the playoffs.

Garbage picking? Not in my leagues.
Oh come on. I play in deep leagues, and I still see drops every couple weeks that make me run to the wire during FCFS.Just tonight I scooped up Goodson (IR stash), Dunbar, and Ryan Williams across a couple different leagues.

Nothing magical. Definitely garbage picking. But I still liked the prospect of stashing them over my end-of-bench guys.
No really, there's nothing and I'm specifically referring to redraft. My benches are littered with your usual WW suspects but no one has been dropped worth rostering thus far.

*shrugs*
Why? I have confidence in the "talent" of my players. If they don't produce one week, I'm not going to flat out drop them for some dude who happened to get a few goalline receptions in Week 6. The guys that people are usually scrambling to pickup are usually already on my team.

I haven't really missed out on anyone. I run 4-teams, if someone's out there that shouldn't be I grab them. But for the most part I haven't missed out on anyone that would make or break my season. But when you're gonna drop Steven Jackson or Miles Austin or Jermichael Finley; I'm gonna stash them on my roster. I might not start them, but I'll wait for the time is right.

Quite the arrogant attitude, but okay. I guess if you play in terrible leagues with guys who drop Steven Jackson and FInley, then I'd do the same. But when you play in leagues with competent owners, guys like this don't get dropped, and there are good owners who will pick up guys on waivers who WILL make an impact on their team. Guys like Morris/Cobb/Kaep/J.Jones last year helped a lot of teams and were off waivers in most leagues.

This year hasn't had quite the WW Darlings as last year, but there's still guys that can improve your team, provide handcuffs, or be good matchup kickers/defenses that are worth making claims for. Anyone who doesn't play waivers and just counts on owners dropping valuable players are putting themselves at a big disadvantage, or in crappy leagues with inept owners. Or both.

*shrugs*

Quite the arrogant attitude, but okay. I guess if you play in terrible leagues with guys who drop Steven Jackson and FInley, then I'd do the same. But when you play in leagues with competent owners, guys like this don't get dropped, and there are good owners who will pick up guys on waivers who WILL make an impact on their team. Guys like Morris/Cobb/Kaep/J.Jones last year helped a lot of teams and were off waivers in most leagues.

This year hasn't had quite the WW Darlings as last year, but there's still guys that can improve your team, provide handcuffs, or be good matchup kickers/defenses that are worth making claims for. Anyone who doesn't play waivers and just counts on owners dropping valuable players are putting themselves at a big disadvantage, or in crappy leagues with inept owners. Or both.
Hahaha, don't take it serious I'm just being a #####. It varies from league to league and is situation dependent but I would say 70% of the time I prefer what is dropped from people's rosters over that waiver-wire darlings that come and go.

Both my leagues have it where drops go back into waivers for 24 hrs before being available to fcfs. Prevents the vultures from scooping the bodies before everyone can see.

Just picked up Heath Miller that was dropped in my 16 team league. Had Daniels and can't believe Miller was dropped and I was able to get him.

Well, what do you know. I've always been told it's shoe-in, due to the fact that you already have "one shoe in the door". Not sure why it's shoo, when to me, that means to drive something unwanted away. Strange.

Edit: Ok, everyone, you can get over it. I admitted being wrong. I'll be blocking all these guys posts from now on so I won't make the same mistake of fact checking before posting out of anger at the nonsense this guy keeps spewing.
:lmao:

Dude gets clowned and comes back with the classic passive-aggressive retort.

To be fair, this topic is addressing a legit strategy that may open some eyes. Many time we chase the points from a non-significant player on the wire, while dropping a guy we drafted because we expected something from him and lacked the patience to stick with our convictions.

Yes it can wrok both ways. One can be stubborn to a fault about "his guys" and miss out on a player that can carry the day - but like everything there's good and bad and its at least worth discussing.

GordonGekko said:

*shrugs*
Not sure it's that simple. For teams running 0-6 or 1-5 ( even some good teams can get there with some bad luck, injuries and just running into bad timing like facing Peyton Manning one week then Phillip Rivers the next), then every week after essentially turns into a playoff week. If you are 0-6 or 1-5, your margin for error in trying to get to the playoffs is razor thin. A player whose total season output in aggregate might be higher but the flavor of the week might be a better matchup bet and someone rolling on a hot streak. I think there's a good chance Eli Manning will rebound at some point this year, but if you are 0-6, you might have to gamble Nick Foles is going to get you a win this week and worry about Vick taking back the job at a different time.

Josh Freeman was that way last year. He sucked early on, and if you had a poor record to start, likely you dropped him because you had holes in your roster. Then he hit a hot streak. So some other hurting teams might have taken the short term shot in the arm knowing he was going to flame out, and then he flamed out.

When you are sitting on 6-0 or 5-1, you can sort of decide to take a flier on Danny Amendola and his glass body and not damage your hopes for the playoffs. But to a struggling team, Amendola can look like a ticking time bomb to blow up in their face the wrong week.

Occasionally you get a good random player drop, but to me, the bulk of your eyes on should be in the preseason after your draft (lots of teams aren't even looking at rosters then) and then during the Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning roll over. Just being willing to wait up will probably get you 10-12 productive players each fantasy season you wouldn't otherwise, esp if you run out IDPs. A lot of early birds who do IDP would be able to get Daryl Washington and Von Miller that way. I'm sure some Blackmon owners were simply those who were willing to wait up and comb through FAs that passed through waivers.
:goodposting:

I started 0-3 this year with terrible RB luck. I had to drop guys like Bryce Brown to make room for immediate RB help and watched Brown get scooped up by the 4-0 guy. The same guy just scooped up David Wilson after I dropped him. He got lucky this year and has that luxury. Dude's got Andre Brown, Bryce Brown, Ben Tate and David Wilson on his bench.

Are you shoore you want to do that?

Are you shoore you want to do that?
*schoore

The c is silent.

Users who are viewing this thread