What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone make homemade hot sauces? (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Aside from the obvious in @Hot Sauce Guy, anyone grow your own chile peppers and/or make your own hot sauces?

I made a few batches recently: a mango habanero, a straight up habanero+vinegar sauce, and a berry habanero sauce. The berry habanero was fermented, the other two weren’t. I don’t think I fermented the berry habanero long enough and it was definitely lacking something (needed some smokiness IMO) but the other two I really dug and had positive feedback from some friends I shared with.

So now I have the bug a bit and ordered 4 chile plants that are being shipped out to me in a couple of weeks: habanero chocolate, Mayan habanero, scotch bonnet papa Dreadie and Trinidad perfume. I’ve not done a lot of gardening so hopefully I won’t botch this. Installing a couple of raised beds this weekend in prep.

Any tips, stories, recipes?

90% sure there was a monster thread on this ages ago.  

I find bottling sauces to be beyond my skillset and stick to making small batches, very basic stuff with dried and fresh peppers. 

Yep. I grow interesting peppers and ferment them and make sauces. Favorites so far:

1) Aji Limon + Sweet Onion + Vinegar. These peppers have a great citrus flavor and a heat level similar to cayenne.  Great hot sauce on seafood.

2) Red Serrano + Garlic +Vinegar + Pisco.

3) Datil + Garlic + Vinegar + Aged Rum. This is a pepper very unique to the St. Augustine area of FL and parts of India.  Not quite as hot as a habanero with similar fruitiness but more earthiness and sweeter.

I had a ton of jalapenos last year so I made a sauce in the InstantPot with peppers, onions, and garlic.  It was a bit of a pain to strain it through cheesecloth, but it a nice spice/vinegar flavor.  I'm almost out but my pepper plants are in the ground again, so will be making more.  

I think this is the basic recipe.

Just started dabbling making hot sauces from my serrano and cayenne plants.

It's a fun little hobby, and I find myself making/eating tacos multiple times a week because the sauces are so good on them.

I play around a bit, looking for pretty specific chili sauce flavors.  I'm not big on the vinegar based or fermented sauces.  Typically mine are made with reconstituted chile de arbol, guajillo, and acho as the base.  The chile de arbol provides that sharp biting head, the other two a flavor base.  Depending on the batch, sometimes I throw roasted tomatillos, garlic, and other seasonings depending on my mood.  I'll make a gallon or two at a time, and freeze in small quantities.  It doesn't last a whole long time in the fridge.

Straining sucks.  I need to purchase a food mill.  Anyone have experience with these?  Was eyeballing this one .. https://www.amazon.com/Weston-82-0250-W-Deluxe-Electric-Strainer/dp/B07G51XYX2/

I play around a bit, looking for pretty specific chili sauce flavors.  I'm not big on the vinegar based or fermented sauces.  Typically mine are made with reconstituted chile de arbol, guajillo, and acho as the base.  The chile de arbol provides that sharp biting head, the other two a flavor base.  Depending on the batch, sometimes I throw roasted tomatillos, garlic, and other seasonings depending on my mood.  I'll make a gallon or two at a time, and freeze in small quantities.  It doesn't last a whole long time in the fridge.

Straining sucks.  I need to purchase a food mill.  Anyone have experience with these?  Was eyeballing this one .. https://www.amazon.com/Weston-82-0250-W-Deluxe-Electric-Strainer/dp/B07G51XYX2/
I run mine through a Vitamix. No straining, and smooth as can be.

One of my customers gave me a home made sauce. It is a habanero pine. Yes. Pine. I dont even want to know how he got the pine in there, but the flavor really works. 

Maybe I just need a better blender.  I'm not sure what mine is, but knowing my wife, it's whatever was on sale at Target ten years ago.
Sounds like it. The Vitamix or Blendtec blenders are expensive but open up a whole new world for sauces.  Ever wonder why those sauces you get in a restaurant are so silky smooth?  Good quality blender. They're game changers.  I doubt I would pay full price for them but if you use the Camels, Amazon has them semi-regularly for 250 ish.

parasaurolophus said:
One of my customers gave me a home made sauce. It is a habanero pine. Yes. Pine. I dont even want to know how he got the pine in there, but the flavor really works. 
You are thinking pine tree pines... aren't you? I think it is more likely ground pine nuts. 

Got my chile pepper plants delivered and I’m not super thrilled. I knew that I gave them the right to substitute if they ran out of something, but substituting on 3 of the 4 plants I got is annoying. Even more annoying is that they substituted in the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pepper (1.2-2.0M scoville units) for my chocolate haberno (300-577k scoville). That’s way hotter than I really wanted.

Got my chile pepper plants delivered and I’m not super thrilled. I knew that I gave them the right to substitute if they ran out of something, but substituting on 3 of the 4 plants I got is annoying. Even more annoying is that they substituted in the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pepper (1.2-2.0M scoville units) for my chocolate haberno (300-577k scoville). That’s way hotter than I really wanted.
Never went to Wingstop before but there was a new one by us so we stopped tonight. My son (8 yr) likes somewhat hot but likes to think he can take hotter than he really can. I talked him into getting Atomic (hottest), Original Hot and then Garlic Parm for my wife but knew the Atomic was going to end up mine. He chickened out on trying it amd then said he didn't like the taste of the Original hot. I have a pretty high tolerance... most "hot" stuff doesn't register with me. I got some heat out of the Atomic but nothing too bad at all. 

A pepper named Trinidad Moruga Scorpion scares me though. 🤣

That sucks.

Where did you order from?

Also, starting from seeds indoors is really easy, if you’ve never done it let me know 

That sucks.

Where did you order from?

Also, starting from seeds indoors is really easy, if you’ve never done it let me know 
I ordered from ChilePlants.com. They seemed to have a nice selection and them being in NJ was a plus as I figured less travel for the plants to get to me.

Never started from seed, but living in a fairly small townhouse with no basement would make it tough for me to find the room to do so I think.

But I can’t see myself ordering from this place again. They cancelled my cherry tomatoes after their crop got bacterial canker and they destroyed all their plants (which I’m glad they did instead of just shipping diseased plants) and then swapped out 3 of the 4 chile plants I had ordered and the swaps didn’t really seem to matchup all that well with what I had ordered. Definitely disappointed, especially with the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. I may just see if I can sell or give away the peppers I grow from that plant because I don’t really have the interest/tolerance for that kind of heat.

I ordered from ChilePlants.com. They seemed to have a nice selection and them being in NJ was a plus as I figured less travel for the plants to get to me.

Never started from seed, but living in a fairly small townhouse with no basement would make it tough for me to find the room to do so I think.

But I can’t see myself ordering from this place again. They cancelled my cherry tomatoes after their crop got bacterial canker and they destroyed all their plants (which I’m glad they did instead of just shipping diseased plants) and then swapped out 3 of the 4 chile plants I had ordered and the swaps didn’t really seem to matchup all that well with what I had ordered. Definitely disappointed, especially with the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. I may just see if I can sell or give away the peppers I grow from that plant because I don’t really have the interest/tolerance for that kind of heat.
I use these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Burpee-72-Cell-Self-Watering-Greenhouse-Kit-95072/203110198

and 2 of these 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProHT-75W-Work-Light-with-Clamp/1003236178?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-elc-_-ggl-_-PLA_ELC_106_Tools-Wire-Connectors-_-1003236178-_-online-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gbraid=0AAAAAD2B2W9IBqjLIOuaajr1F2CugRh4B&gbraid=0AAAAAD2B2W9IBqjLIOuaajr1F2CugRh4B&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7fGJq9z69wIV0QaICR0AEwFaEAQYAiABEgL-NfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

clamped on an old golf club that’s sitting on an end table in my wife’s home office. I put a few cookbooks under the tray to get them up close the the lights and take them out as the plants grow. Very easy, works great 

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeds provide much better variety. However, hot peppers can be finicky and take a long time to sprout. A heat mat designed for seed sprouting helps tremendously. And don't forget to harden them before transplanting.

I was attempting to find an appropriate thread for this, and it seems as if this is the closest.

I will preface this by saying that I am not a hot sauce guy. I have made a variety of sauces with miscellaneous chiles/peppers, but not what I would label "hot sauce." Sunday I had the pleasure of meeting @Hot Sauce Guy at a nearby farmer's market. By arriving early I was able to have a very nice chat with him about sauce and life in general. Hot sauces generally do not excite me. He had a lineup of maybe 12-15 sauces, and each was unique and deliberate with their flavor profile. All were quite good and I walked away with:

- cherry/chipotle
- thai chile pineapple
- smoked scotch bonnet w/ blueberry, Szechuan peppercorn and beer
- sweet & garlicy roasted pepper

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

I am not a hot sauce guy.
You are now! :lol:

Thanks for the shout out, and sincerely was a pleasure to meet you. I'm excited to try the mole & the sauces you brought.

Really happy you enjoyed my creations - I operate under a "your products are only as good as your next customer thinks they are" philosophy. All the awards in the world don't mean a thing if folks don't enjoy what I do.

And mostly it was just fun meeting another FBG! The Internet is a big place, but the world a small one - always fun putting a face to a user-name.

I am not a hot sauce guy.
You are now! :lol:

Thanks for the shout out, and sincerely was a pleasure to meet you. I'm excited to try the mole & the sauces you brought.

Really happy you enjoyed my creations - I operate under a "your products are only as good as your next customer thinks they are" philosophy. All the awards in the world don't mean a thing if folks don't enjoy what I do.

And mostly it was just fun meeting another FBG! The Internet is a big place, but the world a small one - always fun putting a face to a user-name.

(y)

I was attempting to find an appropriate thread for this, and it seems as if this is the closest.

I will preface this by saying that I am not a hot sauce guy. I have made a variety of sauces with miscellaneous chiles/peppers, but not what I would label "hot sauce." Sunday I had the pleasure of meeting @Hot Sauce Guy at a nearby farmer's market. By arriving early I was able to have a very nice chat with him about sauce and life in general. Hot sauces generally do not excite me. He had a lineup of maybe 12-15 sauces, and each was unique and deliberate with their flavor profile. All were quite good and I walked away with:

- cherry/chipotle
- thai chile pineapple
- smoked scotch bonnet w/ blueberry, Szechuan peppercorn and beer
- sweet & garlicy roasted pepper

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

So… I am making fried chicken where I typically soak in buttermilk overnight. This time around I will be using the thai Chile pineapple sauce with the buttermilk (and ground ginger in my dry mix)

Are they always fermented? That's something I'm not familiar with in cooking.

But I know it's not something to be flippant with and it seems like there are plenty of people who are. If I remember right, this guy caught a good bit of trouble for brushing off canning safety, right? https://youtu.be/UGjCeAbWKPo

Is his recipe mostly sound?

Or in general, can you point me toward some good basic info on this? I'm guessing it's like most things and there are some basic categories. And then varieties within the categories.

But not really sure how the vinegar bases and the fermentation aspects fit in overall. @Hot Sauce Guy and others help me out?

Or in general, can you point me toward some good basic info on this? I'm guessing it's like most things and there are some basic categories. And then varieties within the categories.

But not really sure how the vinegar bases and the fermentation aspects fit in overall. @Hot Sauce Guy and others help me out?
First, I’d never seen that video - funny dude. I’ll watch the rest then provide feedback.

As for your questions, it’s a big topic, but I’ll try to help.
1. Vinegar-based / pasteurized sauces are good.
2. Fermented sauces are also good.
3. There is also a hybrid method that I sometimes employ where I start with a fermented pepper mash as a base & then add ingredients to it, and pasteurize. These can also be good.

They’re all different styles of sauce, and within those styles, you can have a huge variety of flavors, layers, profiles, etc. sweet, tangy, savory, or combinations, and all sorts of different heat levels.

That’s the best part of the sauce-making hobby - you can give the same 10 ingredients to 50 sauce-makers, and get 50 completely different sauces.

The big difference in styles, in my opinion, is as follows:
• fermentation is a process of breaking everything down into a homogenized thing. The fermentation adds a specific flavor, as the natural acids that develop add a distinct characteristic to a sauce. Think Louisiana-style sauces. These can be delicious, but it can be difficult to get complex layering in them because the whole idea of the ferment is sort of the opposite of layering.

• pasteurized sauces can be intensely layered. These are cooked with a hold time at temperature (190 degrees for ~8 mins (longer for larger batches) ) to kill any bacteria, & have a vinegar base. These sauces can be a little bitey, as there isn’t that silky lacto-ferment vibe, but that depends on the vinegar - there are many kinds, and some are sharper than others.

• hybrid - this is my current go-to style. You get hints of that fermented vibe, while also layering in other ingredients.

Which is best?! That’s for you to decide. Some folks love bitey, vinegary sauces. Some folks love that lacto-ferment above everything. Some folks love layering. Some love it all. There isn’t a better or worst here - just different tastes.

Regarding food safety, that is the 1st thing to learn when making any food. With sauce, regardless of style above, it’s all about the science of canning, and the resulting pH.

There’s also hot-fill - the process of bottling at 180°-190°, then invert to sterilize. Basic canning principal - liquids expand when heated, contract when cooled. If that cooling from 180-190 happens in a sealed container, a vacuum forms from the contraction, preserving the contents.

Legally, for commercial products, the pH has to be below a certain threshold. I believe it’s 4.3. But 4.3 is not shelf stable, it will have to be refrigerated always, before and after opening. For a hobbyist refrigerate-always isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’ve made some extremely tasty recipes in this range. But for a commercial application, or for a hobbyist who wants to take a bottle with them to a restaurant, it’s impractical.

Ideally pH should be below 3.6. In this range, no water activity is present, so there’s no way for bacteria to grow. Sauces in this range can be left out even after opening.

Then there’s the “shelf stable but refrigerate after opening” range, where it’s close - 3.7-3.9, and can be shelf stable for ~2 years unopened.

And of course the food-safety basics, like clean surfaces, sharp knives, non-porous cutting boards, sterilized glass, hand-washing, proper food storage, etc.

All of my commercial products say “refrigerate after opening” - there’s costly processes & licensing required to not say that - but 8 of my 14 commercial formulas don’t require it.
The biggest thing is to make what you like. If you’re not a big garlic person, leave out the garlic, etc. And don’t be afraid to fail up, as the old project management saying goes. If you learn to play piano you’re probably going to sound pretty rough out of the gate. My early sauces were not good. But they had some good elements that could be honed with practice. So learning to taste for what works, rather than tasting what doesn’t work is an important skill. Once you’ve identified something that’s working in a recipe you can build around it.

Regarding recipes, all of mine are vastly different. For a basic idea of a pasteurized or hybrid style sauce, the following is a decent roadmap:
• 30% of the formula should be acid. This can be pepper mash, vinegars of various types (or multiple types at once), citrus juice, etc
• the other 70% can be whatever you like. Peppers, spices, garlic, etc.
• note: spices & dry ingredients, or agave/honey are neutral, while fruits & veggies are base.

Pasteurize for 8 mins at 190° (do not boil) while agitating constantly. Blend and return to pot, bring back to 190, and using a ladle/funnel, bottle hot & invert (put in box upside down)

Be sure to record recipes in gram weight. I use a coffee scale to prototype recipes, as it measures down to 1/10 of a gram. By doing this, it’s relatively easy to figure out those percentages of acid/base, but more importantly it provides a framework within which one can easily adjust recipes for the next batch. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and any good hot sauce recipe is going to take multiple batches to get right.

Pro tip: use 2 candy thermometers to monitor temperature. Thermometers can fail, so using 2 adds a check & balance.

Boiling is bad for 2 reasons:
1. If ya make something tasty, it’s hard to replicate. Boiling is chaos, and there are temperature spikes.
2. Scalding on the edges produces bitter burnt carbon notes. Highly undesirable.

As for resources, I truly wish I’d found The Hot Pepper dot com prior to starting my hobby! It would have shaved years off of my trial and error. They have specific forums dedicated to making both fermented & pasteurized sauces (with folks sharing basic recipes, food safety tips, etc) - it’s a great community, and pepper growers often sell small boxes of exotic peppers on an approved topic for it. Also seed exchanges, for those inclined to grow their own.

I’ve provided some very high-level stuff here, but those forums will really help anyone here who’s interested in playing with peppers to get started making safe to eat sauces.

I’ll check out the rest of that video - I’m curious what’s controversial. He even mentions botulism, so clearly he’s aware of food safety.

Apologies if I’ve fallen short of answering everything - it’s a very short question with an extremely long, deep and complex answer, and I’m not yet caffeinated. :)

Last edited:
If I remember right, this guy caught a good bit of trouble for brushing off canning safety, right? https://youtu.be/UGjCeAbWKPo
My only issue so far is that in this day & age he's burping a bottle instead of using a fermentation jar with a bubbler on it. I mean, we have the tech - why not use it? I didn't see anything inherently unsafe in his process.

One other note I left out in the difference between fermentation & pasteurization - instant gratification. As you can see in the video, it takes weeks for a ferment. With a pasteurized sauce, you get results (ready to eat sauce) the very next day.

Last edited:
I’ve been having a lot of fun with this. Mostly finding different recipes online and then adapting a bit and then sharing the results with a group of friends that enjoy hot sauces.

My favorites I’ve made so far are a pineapple mango sauce that used my homegrown yellow Trinidad Moruga scorpion peppers. I was actually a touch disappointed because the peppers were supposed to be super hot and I must have done something wrong while growing them because they really weren’t all that hot. But very tasty sauce.

I also made a smoked apple habanero sauce that was really good. I think if I had an actual smoker to smoke the apples/peppers in it would be even better. I may try adding some chipotle or ancho chiles in to up the smokiness factor that way.

The next batch I’m kicking around in my head is a cocoa-coffee sauce. I’m thinking it may be tricky to get the cocoa/fat blended properly so definitely have to do some digging to get some ideas on how to do it properly.

So far I’ve made (off the top of my head):

-straight up habanero+vinegar hot sauce
-fermented habanero+vinegar hot sauce
-fermented blueberry/blackberry sauce
-fermented peach habanero+Trinidad Moruga sauce
-pineapple mango Trinidad moruga
-pineapple habanero
-fermented garlic habanero
-fermented orange habanero
-green Chile sauce

Probably a few others I’m missing.

Are they always fermented? That's something I'm not familiar with in cooking.

But I know it's not something to be flippant with and it seems like there are plenty of people who are. If I remember right, this guy caught a good bit of trouble for brushing off canning safety, right? https://youtu.be/UGjCeAbWKPo

Is his recipe mostly sound?
If/when you go the fermentation route, I highly recommend buying fermentation weights if you see yourself doing it much at all. You can use ziploc bags filled with water as a substitute, but I found them a pain to work with and not always totally effective. I Just bought the weights and they are so much more effective and easier to use.

I’ve been having a lot of fun with this. Mostly finding different recipes online and then adapting a bit and then sharing the results with a group of friends that enjoy hot sauces.

My favorites I’ve made so far are a pineapple mango sauce that used my homegrown yellow Trinidad Moruga scorpion peppers. I was actually a touch disappointed because the peppers were supposed to be super hot and I must have done something wrong while growing them because they really weren’t all that hot. But very tasty sauce.

I also made a smoked apple habanero sauce that was really good. I think if I had an actual smoker to smoke the apples/peppers in it would be even better. I may try adding some chipotle or ancho chiles in to up the smokiness factor that way.

The next batch I’m kicking around in my head is a cocoa-coffee sauce. I’m thinking it may be tricky to get the cocoa/fat blended properly so definitely have to do some digging to get some ideas on how to do it properly.

So far I’ve made (off the top of my head):

-straight up habanero+vinegar hot sauce
-fermented habanero+vinegar hot sauce
-fermented blueberry/blackberry sauce
-fermented peach habanero+Trinidad Moruga sauce
-pineapple mango Trinidad moruga
-pineapple habanero
-fermented garlic habanero
-fermented orange habanero
-green Chile sauce

Probably a few others I’m missing.
It’s a super addictive hobby.

Thank you @Hot Sauce Guy

If you were going to suggest a basic recipe to a beginner, what would you suggest?
For a pasteurized sauce, maybe something like this:
Ingredients
  • rice vinegar (4.3% dilution, I believe) - rice vinegar is a really nice option to start with because there's a little natural sweetness, but not as sweet as ACV, and not as acidic as ACV or White vinegars, which typically run 5%. So it will be less bitey on the palate.
  • desired pepper of choice - if you have Mexican mercados or farmers markets nearby, you can usually get some exotic peppers like Manzano, Fresnos or even ghost, scorpion, scotch bonnets, etc. Otherwise you can get Habanero, Jalapeno, Serrano at most large grocery stores.
  • I really like the layering that a blend of dried & fresh peppers can add to a pasteurized sauce, so suggest cayenne or chile Tepin (also available at Mexican markets)
  • Onion adds liquid to the sauce that isn't water, and also when cooked lends some texture & savory notes
  • Garlic is a must for me. The more the merrier.
  • For sweetness, agave is a pretty neutral flavor option, and is less absorbent than sugar. Honey works well, but has more of a distinct flavor. Natural sweeteners include pineapple, mango, apple, carrot, banana, papaya, pear, date, etc.
  • Chipotle is kind of a cheat code - whether its dried or canned in adobo sauce, it's such a bold, dominant flavor that it can take over a sauce, and often does.
  • Spices like cumin, turmeric, saffron, sea salt, black pepper, coriander, smoked paprika, etc - all work well in moderation, to taste.
So I know that's not a recipe. But that's sort of deliberate - I don't know which of those fruits or spices or the intensity of them that you will want.

As I'd mentioned in my post above, your target is ~30% acid. That's for resulting pH. If you like sharper sauces, you can always up the acid to 35 or even 40% of the solution.

So let's say you're making roughly a quart-sized batch, which I recommend. if it's good you have enough to enjoy, and if it sucks you won't cry about dumping it down the drain. I've made a ton of drain-sauce. lol Anyway, you probably have a quart bottle of rice vinegar, so use about 35% of it.
Prep your ingredients - I like running them through a food processor for even cook time, but if you prefer to hand-dice veggies, that option is fine as well. It will all cook fine regardless.

When you sketch out your recipe in excel, enter a couple of divisional formulas to determine how much of the formula is acid. You'll have weighed the vinegar, so you already know that you have room for 65% of "other" - fresh peppers weigh more than dried, but dried have a 5:1 concentration of heat. I would suggest 35% fresh peppers, but since I don't know what peppers you want to work with (or what's available to you) that could make it devastatingly hot. If you're making a jalapeno sauce, 40% jalapenos will be fine. I would recommend not using more than say 3% sodium, or you risk creating a salt bomb. Better to under-salt than over-salt. And as mentioned, dried spices can go a long way. Some folks like big bold use of spices like cumin, while others enjoy a subtle hint.

Using an excel spreadsheet, enter the items in gram weight. Acids 35%, base 65%, dry spices, honey or agave should be weighed & entered, but aren't included in the formula of acid vs base.

Then cook at 190 degrees for 8 mins while agitating constantly, blend, bottle, and invert!

There are some actual basic recipes on thehotpepper.com if you want a literal recipe - that's not really how I create, so it's not really something I’m good at offering here. And I also think this hobby is a lot more fun when you find your own path to the flavor profiles that you enjoy.

If I were going super basic with an actual recipe, I'd suggest the following:
  • 1/3 of a qt of rice vinegar diluted to 4.3%
  • 40% jalapeno peppers
  • 10% onion
  • 10% garlic
  • 3% sea salt
Weigh all in grams to determine actual qtys, using the weight of the vinegar as a benchmark for %s.

Pasteurize, blend, hot fill & invert.

It's a good starting point - and probably a very tasty simple sauce.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, there's more art than science to sauce making.

The science is the basic hygiene, canning, pH, time and temp processes.

The art is the exploration of flavors, layering, desirable and undesirable notes, etc. That's the part that folks sort of need to seek out for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread