What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you a morning person? (1 Viewer)

Do kids influcence why you get up earlier?

• Yes

Votes: 60 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 135 69.2%

• Total voters
alarm - 6:30a

snooze - 6:39a

snooze - 6:48a

snooze - 6:57a

snooze - 7:06a

finally get out of bed - 7:15a

piss, shower, shave, brush teeth, dress, say good bye to family, leave house - 7:15a-7:35a
how do you shower, shave, brush your teeth, and dress in 0-20 minutes?
Quickly? (BTW, I do all that - and pick out the clothes I'm going to wear that day - in 20 minutes. You get used to it.)

Can't really vote in the pole given my answer.... definitely not a morning person but sometimes feel energized when I'm up early. So, guess my answer is "sometimes, not really". :oldunsure:

If I'm headed out on a business trip and know I have to be sharp for 12+ hours straight. :lol: Yeah, then I feel like a "morning person".

Usually get up around 7:30-8 with two kids under 5. Feel rather fortunate it's not much, much earlier.

Get them all set up with a cartoon and breakfast and get showered, dressed and am out the door usually by 8:30.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, is banishing the snooze button enough to make you feel your best during the day? Nope, says Rosenberg. The urge to sleep a bit longer is really a symptom of a larger problem.

"Most people are doing this because they're not getting enough sleep on a daily basis," he says. This chronic sleep deprivation (which is defined as six or fewer hours of sleep a night) is called "social jetlag." Over time, some sufferers have been shown to have a higher body-mass index and an elevated risk of diabetes.

Yep, this is me. I am often up until 2 or so in the morning. Just can't get myself to fall asleep earlier except when i'm completely exhausted, and even then it's like midnight. so i get about 4-5 hours of sleep. the snooze makes it feel like i'm getting "extra" sleep somehow.

So, is banishing the snooze button enough to make you feel your best during the day? Nope, says Rosenberg. The urge to sleep a bit longer is really a symptom of a larger problem.

"Most people are doing this because they're not getting enough sleep on a daily basis," he says. This chronic sleep deprivation (which is defined as six or fewer hours of sleep a night) is called "social jetlag." Over time, some sufferers have been shown to have a higher body-mass index and an elevated risk of diabetes.

Yep, this is me. I am often up until 2 or so in the morning. Just can't get myself to fall asleep earlier except when i'm completely exhausted, and even then it's like midnight. so i get about 4-5 hours of sleep. the snooze makes it feel like i'm getting "extra" sleep somehow.
I'm the exact same way. I can lay in bed at midnight with all the lights out in the perfect dark and just not feel tired at all. I've laid in bed with eyes closed but awake for an hour before.

I have to set my alarm for 5:30 to get up early enough after my snoozing to make it out the door by 7am, 7:15 if I'm willing to pay for tolls.

There isn't a better feeling than hitting that snooze button and burying yourself back under the covers. Unless I have friendly company over, than the snooze button gets a break for the morning sects.

I am not a morning person.

I have to get up earlier than I would to help get the kids ready.

When I did not have kids, I would get up and get ready and go to work. I don't understand why you would get up earlier to do...... what? Before you have to get ready and go to work.

I hate mornings.
Read, relax, listen to music, have a cup of coffee. :coffee:
Read - you wake up early to read? That's what bedtime is for.

Relax - Doesnt get much more relaxing than sleep.

Listen to music - Ill do this for motivation, but definitely not getting up early just to do it.

Coffee - Thats for the morning drive.

I generally get up before God and everybody.

OK maybe not God! But even as a kid I was the one to wake everyone up for surfing or fishing. During the 'tween years running crews I got up early to get ready for the day.

Nowadays I just get up early just to make sure everything works. :mellow:

I have two alarms on work/school days:

5AM - To get my high schooler up (he has to be at the bus stop at 5:40AM)

go back to sleep

730AM - To get my middle schooler up he has to be at the bus stop at 835AM

I work from home so I'm "in the office" checking e-mail and signing onto instant messenger by 7:45AM.

When I used to work at an office, I was up at 6:30 and in the office by 7AM. I don't mess around in the morning.

Haven't seen this spelled out, but I am the most anti-morning person I've met. Im wondering if anyone else is like this, or has met someone similar. Unless I get an absurd amount of sleep (11-12 hours), waking up is the worst part of my day unless I break a bone. Getting out of bed is the hardest thing to do in my life physically, its' almost as if in that foggy haze of just waking up Im a different person. I put it similar to a substance user in the throes of a serious high of whatever sort, I might know that it's 'bad' for me abstractly (won't get stuff done, late to work, less time with family, etc.) but I just don't care in that moment. Later in the day, it doesn't make sense when thought of critically, but feeling of being able to go back to sleep is bliss.

Its a daily struggle that I can only manage now with about 5-7 'snoozes' lasting about and hour, and even then its questionable. Thankfully I don't get too much crap for being late to work. It's to where I hate going to bed, because I know I will have to fight that terrible battle as soon as I sleep, I've laid awake plenty of nights anxious/fearing waking up. Getting less sleep only makes it worse, but there's not a lot to do if you can't turn your brain off.

I get about 6-7 hours most night, which by all of my friends is plenty/average.

It was really bad in college where I was averaging 4-5 hours a night because I was holding down a full time job in addition to a full load. I had literally seven alarm clocks all set to go off within 60 seconds of each other, because I had plenty of times I would apparently get up and turn them off and go back to bed with no later memory of it.

My life would be much improved if I could just wake up and get out of bed easier. It sounds like a small easy thing, but its a daily battle for me at least.

This chronic sleep deprivation (which is defined as six or fewer hours of sleep a night) ...
Not looking at the link--only the "six hours". What I've always understood is that a normal 'sleep cycle' averages four hours. Give or take--maybe an hour plus or minus at the most. That means that your average 8 hours ideal is actually two sleep cycles, going into a deep sleep and coming up for air right around the 4 hour mark, and then going down for another. That makes 6 hours the worst time to wake up, because you are in the deep sleep cycle instead of close to the edge.

I will of course admit that it's become mental with me, that the belief in a four hour cycle might be what makes it work--but for me that's worked for yeeeeears. Six hours catches me at a terrible time, and I've gotten so used to short nights that I wake up automatically after four hours and reevaluate whether or not I want to get up right then. I value the quiet mornings and most often do.

On the topic of sleep, I've started to sleep with my phone playing one of these 8-hour youtube sleep cycle videos. Man, I think they work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDX8QrcDI_o

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQ6t4yPIM0

Are two I cycle between.

In the year prior to starting this, I can say I remember having dreams that I recall any part of the next morning maybe 1-2 times a month. Since I started these videos at night, it's 2-3 times a week.

alarm at 6:15 - out of of door by 7 at the latest after letting the dog out, shower, shave etc, and getting kids up for school - wife sleeps until 7:45 - i hate her for that

On the topic of sleep, I've started to sleep with my phone playing one of these 8-hour youtube sleep cycle videos. Man, I think they work

and

Are two I cycle between.

In the year prior to starting this, I can say I remember having dreams that I recall any part of the next morning maybe 1-2 times. Since I started these videos at night, it's 2-3 times a week.
how about just a white noise machine or small portable fan running? or the Relax and Sleep App (which is what i use on vacation)

Days I have the kids: Up at 6:15 to shower and get dressed. After, I get the kids up and tend to them until we leave at 8 for their schools. Last dropoff is at 9. At work by 9:20ish.

Days I don't have the kids: Up at 6:15 to work out, then my routine. Usually at work by 8:45.

Body clock wakes me up around that time no matter what.

I am not a morning person.

I have to get up earlier than I would to help get the kids ready.

When I did not have kids, I would get up and get ready and go to work. I don't understand why you would get up earlier to do...... what? Before you have to get ready and go to work.

I hate mornings.
Read, relax, listen to music, have a cup of coffee. :coffee:
Reading? That early puts me right back to sleep.

Relax? I can relax sleeping nicely enough.

Listen to music? ok... but I can do that all day long, why get up early to do that?

Cup of coffee? I dislike coffee. Don't like the taste and not much for hot liquid anyways. I grab an energy drink for on the ride to work/at work to help wake up.

glumpy said:
spOOfy said:
This chronic sleep deprivation (which is defined as six or fewer hours of sleep a night) ...
Not looking at the link--only the "six hours". What I've always understood is that a normal 'sleep cycle' averages four hours. Give or take--maybe an hour plus or minus at the most. That means that your average 8 hours ideal is actually two sleep cycles, going into a deep sleep and coming up for air right around the 4 hour mark, and then going down for another. That makes 6 hours the worst time to wake up, because you are in the deep sleep cycle instead of close to the edge.

I will of course admit that it's become mental with me, that the belief in a four hour cycle might be what makes it work--but for me that's worked for yeeeeears. Six hours catches me at a terrible time, and I've gotten so used to short nights that I wake up automatically after four hours and reevaluate whether or not I want to get up right then. I value the quiet mornings and most often do.
This actually makes a lot of sense.

Bonfire said:
Haven't seen this spelled out, but I am the most anti-morning person I've met. Im wondering if anyone else is like this, or has met someone similar. Unless I get an absurd amount of sleep (11-12 hours), waking up is the worst part of my day unless I break a bone. Getting out of bed is the hardest thing to do in my life physically, its' almost as if in that foggy haze of just waking up Im a different person. I put it similar to a substance user in the throes of a serious high of whatever sort, I might know that it's 'bad' for me abstractly (won't get stuff done, late to work, less time with family, etc.) but I just don't care in that moment. Later in the day, it doesn't make sense when thought of critically, but feeling of being able to go back to sleep is bliss.

Its a daily struggle that I can only manage now with about 5-7 'snoozes' lasting about and hour, and even then its questionable. Thankfully I don't get too much crap for being late to work. It's to where I hate going to bed, because I know I will have to fight that terrible battle as soon as I sleep, I've laid awake plenty of nights anxious/fearing waking up. Getting less sleep only makes it worse, but there's not a lot to do if you can't turn your brain off.

I get about 6-7 hours most night, which by all of my friends is plenty/average.

It was really bad in college where I was averaging 4-5 hours a night because I was holding down a full time job in addition to a full load. I had literally seven alarm clocks all set to go off within 60 seconds of each other, because I had plenty of times I would apparently get up and turn them off and go back to bed with no later memory of it.

My life would be much improved if I could just wake up and get out of bed easier. It sounds like a small easy thing, but its a daily battle for me at least.
The bold part is me to a T and sort of why I started this. The anxiety is the worst when there is an early important meeting it almost always results in an all nighter for me after going to bed 10pm and stewing to 4am when I know I am past the point of no return and if I go to sleep I will never get up. Also, you nailed the bliss thing. I have a quick fight in my head and then more sleep wins and it is the best deepest sleep I ever get. Usually everyone is out of the house and It is dead silent and just perfect. There is almost no other point that I am that content. Then you wake up feeling great and the panic sets in because you are late, again. I didn't think anyone else like me existed.

Phone acting up, I hope this isn't a double post.

I'm a night owl living in a work ruled by morning people. I hate morning people.

I set two alarms, 6 & 6:30 and leave for work about 7:30. My alarms are in the bathroom so I have to get out of bed to address them.

My favorite shift I ever worked was 3:30pm to MN.

I always say I was born in the wrong side of the planet.

Dentist said:
Gator Shawn said:

and

Are two I cycle between.

In the year prior to starting this, I can say I remember having dreams that I recall any part of the next morning maybe 1-2 times. Since I started these videos at night, it's 2-3 times a week.
how about just a white noise machine or small portable fan running? or the Relax and Sleep App (which is what i use on vacation)
Well, I can't sleep without a fan running or something. Even when we go on vacation, I bring a small fan just for the humming, This sleep music took it to a whole new level though. Give it a shot sometime. I really enjoy the dreams.

i am not naturally a morning person. left to my own devices, i go to sleep a little later every evening. i get up around 5:15- 5:30a. as a result i am usually the first one up on weekends (6-6:30 on sat; about 7:30 on sun). i like it. coffee, sports center (or whatever), i hit the grocery store with no crowds and start breakfast before the mrs and daughter wake up.

alarm - 6:30a

snooze - 6:39a

snooze - 6:48a

snooze - 6:57a

snooze - 7:06a

finally get out of bed - 7:15a

piss, shower, shave, brush teeth, dress, say good bye to family, leave house - 7:15a-7:35a
This was me my entire life - though my mom would be assisting in the process during my high school years. Currently I get up for a couple of minutes to make sure the kids have their lunch, etc and then go back to sleep ...for as long as I want. It's pretty glorious.

If I'm up at 5 am I better have just finished a threesome.

I hate mornings, have to get up by 7:30 to get to work and wish I was dead instead most days. Agree with Spoofy, don't talk to me before 9:30 or face pissed off black guy.

Sleep till noon on weekends, I have my six baby's mammas take care of those kids (although they don't get up until 10). :thumbup:

Lots of weirdos in here. Clearly going to bed at midnight and waking up around 6:15 is the only way to roll. Wish I could find a way to sleep less but that's about as thin as I can cut it.

Nope. I leave for work between 9 and 11pm and get home between 4:30 and 6am. Sleep til about noon every day. Mornings suck.

Like a lot of people I generally get up pretty early. But that does not make me a "morning person." I need to ease into the day, with plenty of coffee.

I had a girlfriend some decades ago who was a morning person. She would cheerfully spring out of bed at 5.30, hit the day running and want me to do the same. After a while I hated her.

Nothing worse for me than laying in bed at 8am on a Saturday or Sunday when it is absolutely gorgeous outside. It's almost like torture.

I'm a night owl living in a work ruled by morning people. I hate morning people.

I set two alarms, 6 & 6:30 and leave for work about 7:30. My alarms are in the bathroom so I have to get out of bed to address them.

You must be my lost twin. I have my alarm 20' from my bed so I can't snooze when it goes off at 7am. It's straight to the shower, dress, straight out the door to work. I worked 2nd shift years ago, 3pm to midnight, and it was glorious. When I hear people wax poetic about sunrises, getting an early start, and not wanting to waste the morning it's hard to refrain from punching them. IMO that stuff all sucks, I much prefer the wee hours' cool night air, stars and moon overhead, and the peace and silence that's afforded because all the dumb early riser folks are already in bed. A summer night blows away a summer morning/day every day of the week. If it weren't for golf I'd be all for no sunshine ever.

This thread reminds me of a story when I was in college. It was during Finals week and there was a big storm that knocked out the power in our house we were renting. I had a Final exam at 8 a.m. the next morning and I used an alarm clock to get me up in the morning. Well, I had been studying all night and wanted to get some sleep as it was past midnight. However, the power was still not on. This was before I had a cell phone with an alarm clock on it so that wasn't an option. I decided to lay down on the couch rather uncomfortably so that I would wake up every once in awhile to see if the power came back on. It wasn't until 4 a.m. when the power came back on when I could crawl in bed and turn on the alarm. Happy to say I passed the exam.

You must be my lost twin. I have my alarm 20' from my bed so I can't snooze when it goes off at 7am. It's straight to the shower, dress, straight out the door to work. I worked 2nd shift years ago, 3pm to midnight, and it was glorious. When I hear people wax poetic about sunrises, getting an early start, and not wanting to waste the morning it's hard to refrain from punching them. IMO that stuff all sucks, I much prefer the wee hours' cool night air, stars and moon overhead, and the peace and silence that's afforded because all the dumb early riser folks are already in bed. A summer night blows away a summer morning/day every day of the week. If it weren't for golf I'd be all for no sunshine ever.
That's just :goodposting: there!

This morning the alarm went off at 6:00. At 6:05 the wife yelled at me to "TURN THAT THING OFF! IT'S BEEN GOING OFF FOR LIKE 15 MINUTES!!!".

Got out of bed at 6:15.

Go to bed around 1130. Wake up at 7:00, half the time the alarm wakes me, the other half my internal alarm wakes me. Pee, shower, no breakfast, kiss g/f, out the door by 7:25, get to work 20 minutes later.

If I stay at my g/f's, everything is earlier by a half hour.

Night is ok, but I prefer dusk. I have a big backyard with woods surrounding it so I like to be able to look around. Site distance is minimal at night even with a fire going. 11pm-7am sleep time gives you a few hours of everything .

My dad got up at 2:00 AM for 30+ years. He had his alarm clock set 3 hours ahead so it seemed like he was getting up later. I always thought that was funny.

He's retired now, but still gets up at 4:30-5:00 without an alarm.

Last edited:
so based on this thread, i'm trying to cut out the snooze, or at least reduce. i moved my alarm time back 18 minutes. so i did 2 less snoozes this morning. so i only snoozed from @ 6:50-7:15.

People who wake up in the 5AM hour, what time you going to sleep?
I typically go to bed around 9. Go to sleep around 10-1030.I typically wake up between 530-600. Alarm is set for 630 if I don't wake up before (very rare). I do need to figure a way to get out of the place earlier though...I typically putz around for a while and catch either the 730 or 750 ferry. I do need to incorporate the am workout again. Does everyone make breakfast? I have egg whites almost every am. Takes time to cook and clean prior to leaving.

I don't like waking up, but once I'm awake I am revved up and ready to go. The wife on the other hand... We've worked it out over the years so I get up first and get out of her way. Otherwise I will annoy the hell out of her trying to talk to her. I guess opposites do attract...
Happens to me too, one of the oddest things.

Users who are viewing this thread