What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the name of this game? (1 Viewer)

What is the game called?

• Lightning

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Knockout

Votes: 36 75.0%
  • Elimination

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

FreeBaGeL

Footballguy
I need the FFA's help in solving an argument with my 9 year old. We've agreed that a FFA pole can settle this and all future disputes between us.

It's the basketball game where everyone starts in a single file line at the free throw line. There are two balls. The first person shoots a free throw (the second person can shoot as soon as the first person does). If they make it they pass it to the next person in line, if they miss they go fetch the ball and try and make a basket before the person behind them does. If the person behind you makes it before you do, you're out.

You all know the game, but what is it called. Maybe post your geographic region too as I have a suspicion it may be an east vs west thing.

Last edited:
I need the FFA's help in solving an argument with my 9 year old.

It's the basketball game where everyone starts in a single file line at the free throw line. There are two balls. The first person shoots a free throw (the second person can shoot as soon as the first person does). If they make it they pass it to the next person in line, if they miss they go fetch the ball and try and make a basket before the person behind them does. If the person behind you makes it before you do, you're out.

You all know the game, but what is it called. Maybe post your geographic region too as I have a suspicion it may be an east vs west thing.
"Elimination" here... Michigan

I need the FFA's help in solving an argument with my 9 year old.

"Elimination" here... Michigan

Thanks hadn't heard that one, I added it as a pole choice.

"Knockout" is a well-known basketball game kids love playing.

You may have heard it called 'elimination', 'lightning', 'bump', or a bunch of other names depending on which corner of the world you're living.

Used to end most of my 3-6th grade practices with Knockout
Me too. Every youth basketball team I coached would either start or end practice with this game. it may or may not have been because I loved to play it and would get in there with them. Sometimes I would tie conditioning to being able to beat me or not for the team. It was fun to see them team up to knock me out. Great team bonding experience...hahaha

Knockout in Missouri.

I vaguely remember someone calling it Elimination. Never heard it called Lightning or Other. Not sure why anyone would call it other.

I've only heard Knockout. Elimination makes sense as a name. I don't understand why this game would be called Lightning.

100000% called lightning in Southern Cali when I grew up.
lol. grew up in San Diego. We called it knockout and I heard bump a few times. Never heard of lightning until this question came up on another site recently.
lol. It’s soo crazy that so many of us have opposing stories to which name they use for the game. I started playing basketball in junior high—and played it until my mid-30’s pretty religiously—-and I’ve legit never heard the game referred to as “knockout”. lol. I probably have been coached by 7 or 8 different basketball coaches—and all of them called it “lightning” or the “lightning drill”. lol.

100000% called lightning in Southern Cali when I grew up.
lol. grew up in San Diego. We called it knockout and I heard bump a few times. Never heard of lightning until this question came up on another site recently.
lol. It’s soo crazy that so many of us have opposing stories to which name they use for the game. I started playing basketball in junior high—and played it until my mid-30’s pretty religiously—-and I’ve legit never heard the game referred to as “knockout”. lol. I probably have been coached by 7 or 8 different basketball coaches—and all of them called it “lightning” or the “lightning drill”. lol.

Same website calls it knockout ... Lol

Users who are viewing this thread