What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you for or against taking in Syrian refugees? (1 Viewer)

Are you for/against taking in refugees?

• For

Votes: 247 52.0%
  • Against

Votes: 228 48.0%

• Total voters
Refugee resettlement process leaves Syrian Christians in the cold

Christian Lives Matter, except to Obama.
Did you even read the article?

The main reason appears to be that once Christians escape the Assad regime's barrel bombs and Islamic State's brutal caliphate, they must navigate a hazardous refugee process fraught with gangs, sex trafficking and bureaucratic bias.

Part of the reason for the low numbers of resettled Christians in the U.S. may be that most Christians fleeing ISIS in Syria do not make their way into United Nations camps. Part of the reason for the low numbers of resettled Christians in the U.S. may be that most Christians fleeing ISIS in Syria do not make their way into United Nations camps.

Those camps are infiltrated by ISIS and jihadist groups,” said Nina Shea, the director of the Center for Religious Freedom and an international human rights lawyer. “The women would be vulnerable to rape and sex trafficking and the men would have to swear allegiance to the caliphate, according to aid people who have been in the camps.”

But the camps are the easiest way for migrants to register with the UN as refugees, Shea said. There is a heavy UN High Commission for Refugees presence in the camps, and simply gaining refugee status is the first crucial step in the long process of resettling.

“The UN is basically unloading; it’s emptying out its camps,” Shea told FoxNews.com. “It’s not seeking those who are outside its camps, much less giving affirmative action for those who are facing genocide. It’s just an expedience measure for those who are in their own camps, so non-Muslim minorities are poorly represented among them.
How the F is that Obama's fault?

Apparently Isis is able to recruit geeks and losers from around the globe partly by promising them wives. So the sex trafficking might be related to that. Nice religion.

Refugee resettlement process leaves Syrian Christians in the cold

Christian Lives Matter, except to Obama.
Did you even read the article?

The main reason appears to be that once Christians escape the Assad regime's barrel bombs and Islamic State's brutal caliphate, they must navigate a hazardous refugee process fraught with gangs, sex trafficking and bureaucratic bias.

Part of the reason for the low numbers of resettled Christians in the U.S. may be that most Christians fleeing ISIS in Syria do not make their way into United Nations camps. Part of the reason for the low numbers of resettled Christians in the U.S. may be that most Christians fleeing ISIS in Syria do not make their way into United Nations camps.

Those camps are infiltrated by ISIS and jihadist groups,” said Nina Shea, the director of the Center for Religious Freedom and an international human rights lawyer. “The women would be vulnerable to rape and sex trafficking and the men would have to swear allegiance to the caliphate, according to aid people who have been in the camps.”

But the camps are the easiest way for migrants to register with the UN as refugees, Shea said. There is a heavy UN High Commission for Refugees presence in the camps, and simply gaining refugee status is the first crucial step in the long process of resettling.

“The UN is basically unloading; it’s emptying out its camps,” Shea told FoxNews.com. “It’s not seeking those who are outside its camps, much less giving affirmative action for those who are facing genocide. It’s just an expedience measure for those who are in their own camps, so non-Muslim minorities are poorly represented among them.
How the F is that Obama's Odumbo's fault?
fixed

House should be passing a bill today that puts the program on hold to review the screening process to make sure it's as strong as it needs to be.

Of course ####### cry baby Obama is threatening to veto. Guy sucks.

House should be passing a bill today that puts the program on hold to review the screening process to make sure it's as strong as it needs to be.

Im not a fan of Obama, but why does he suck in this case? Show me a president that wouldnt veto a bill they dont like. Its kind of how the process works.

http://i0.wp.com/fusiondotnet.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/chart.png?resize=740%2C587&quality=80&strip=all
If we're going to knee-jerk this thing properly, the people we really should be keeping out of this country are French and Belgian nationals, who appear to have far more extensive involvement with the Paris attacks than people who posed as refugees.

Nobody would actually suggest that, though, because that would be stupid and silly.

lol at keeping "terrorists" out.

There were 14,000+ murders in the US in 2014.

Since 2001 - 406,000 Americans have died in gun violence, compared to 3,380 who have died in terrorist attacks (including 9/11).

I think we have a lot more to worry about with the people already living here...
Any idea what % of those 406,000 Americans that died in gun violence were sitting in a coffee shop minding their own business?
At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds

Last edited by a moderator:

Since 2001 - 406,000 Americans have died in gun violence, compared to 3,380 who have died in terrorist attacks (including 9/11).

I think we have a lot more to worry about with the people already living here...
Any idea what % of those 406,000 Americans that died in gun violence were sitting in a coffee shop minding their own business?
Coffee shops? What percentage were sitting in schools/movie theaters minding their own business?

http://i0.wp.com/fusiondotnet.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/chart.png?resize=740%2C587&quality=80&strip=all
If we're going to knee-jerk this thing properly, the people we really should be keeping out of this country are French and Belgian nationals, who appear to have far more extensive involvement with the Paris attacks than people who posed as refugees.

Nobody would actually suggest that, though, because that would be stupid and silly.
We still have no concrete evidence that any of those involved in the Paris attacks were Syrian refugees. All we know is they found a fake Syrian passport. Doesn't mean they were a Syrian refugee.

And what about the 2,000+ Syrian refugees that have been here the past 3-4 years? Are we just going to send them back? Apparently, a Tennessee lawmaker thinks we should.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
Keep going. See if you can get to 3,380.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
Why? Are those deaths any deadlier than the other 400,000 people who died by gun violence?

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
Do drive by shootings count? Lots of innocent people are killed in those. According to this source, there's around 1400 a year: http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/07/21/national-state-state-study-drive-shootings-reveals-data-victims-time-location

Im not a fan of Obama, but why does he suck in this case? Show me a president that wouldnt veto a bill they dont like. Its kind of how the process works.
They're not shutting the door on the thing, they're just pausing it to make sure the screening process is as strong as it can be. That's just being responsible.

Once these refugees drink some pumpkin spice lattes and have some hot dogs they won't want to do no suicide mission.

They're not shutting the door on the thing, they're just pausing it to make sure the screening process is as strong as it can be. That's just being responsible.
Sure, but has anyone said what improvements are needed for the screening process? So far, I'd say it's worked well. Is it ever going to be foolproof? No idea. But considering the current process hasn't shown any issues, so I'm not sure what needs to be changed.

No it isn't. Not unless evidence can be presented that the screening process is weak right now and that terrorists have gotten here because of it. Is there such evidence? Because absent that, this is actually irresponsible.

I would have to guess the chief thinks the current process is adequate. I dont know enough about it to agree or disagree with him on that.

French President François Hollande announced on Wednesday that the French government would honor its previously agreed-upon commitment to accept 30,000 refugees over the next two years, regardless of Islamic State group-linked terrorist attacks in Paris on Nov. 13 which killed at least 129 people and wounded more than 350.

"Life should resume fully," said Hollande.
True grit.

This how you defeat the ###holes; and win the hearts and minds of the people.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
Why? Are those deaths any deadlier than the other 400,000 people who died by gun violence?
The point is, for the average American that doesn't dabble in a life of crime or otherwise put themselves in situations that are prone to gun violence (ex. uniformed police officers), the chances of being killed by domestic gun violence are likely more on par with the chances of being killed by terrorist violence than you originally tried to represent.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
According to this - there have been 1291 deaths in mass shootings in the US since 2013

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
The point is, for the average American that doesn't dabble in a life of crime or otherwise put themselves in situations that are prone to gun violence (ex. uniformed police officers), the chances of being killed by domestic gun violence are likely more on par with the chances of being killed by terrorist violence than you originally tried to represent.
What?

French President François Hollande announced on Wednesday that the French government would honor its previously agreed-upon commitment to accept 30,000 refugees over the next two years, regardless of Islamic State group-linked terrorist attacks in Paris on Nov. 13 which killed at least 129 people and wounded more than 350.

"Life should resume fully," said Hollande.
True grit.

This how you defeat the ###holes; and win the hearts and minds of the people.
Those damn French losers! They have no idea how to panic properly. It's back to freedom fries for me.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
What?
Did I stutter?

No it isn't. Not unless evidence can be presented that the screening process is weak right now and that terrorists have gotten here because of it. Is there such evidence? Because absent that, this is actually irresponsible.
When top intelligence people are saying it needs reviewed only a sniveling little arrogant SOB wouldn't listen. Basically your average know it all liberal.This is not about the refugees for him. He is only interested in standing his ground politically.

Last edited by a moderator:

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
Closer than 400,000 vs 3,380, sure. But there's no way the number of innocent gun deaths over 15 years is anything close to "on par with the chances of being killed by terrorist violence. There's something like 100 accidental gun deaths by children per year. Just that tragic category alone gets you almost halfway to the terrorist number before we even start bringing in school and other mass shooting incidents, strays and other 100% innocent victims who did nothing to put themselves in harm's way.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
You mean like growing up in a blighted neighborhood with no money or hope of moving? :hophead:

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds
Closer than 400,000 vs 3,380, sure. But there's no way the number of innocent gun deaths over 15 years is anything close to "on par with the chances of being killed by terrorist violence. There's something like 100 accidental gun deaths by children per year. Just that tragic category alone gets you almost halfway to the terrorist number before we even start bringing in school and other mass shooting incidents, strays and other 100% innocent victims who did nothing to put themselves in harm's way.
I certainly meant more this:

"Closer than 400,000 vs 3,380, sure"

than this:

"on par with"

Feels like this is spinning off into a gun control debate. Shocking.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds

than this:

"on par with"

Thank you for the update/clarification.

At least 4...

eta - another 5

21 at McDonalds

than this:

"on par with"

We veered into this two days ago when Ditkaless Wonders analogized the knee-jerk refugees reaction to stuff like closing the gun show loophole after a mass shooting, and I agreed. It makes sense that it happens- there's a lot of parallels. In both situations people tend to look for quick easy fixes of things they can control in order to give themselves a false sense of security. There's some differences too (closing off refugee programs does a lot more harm than imposing stricter gun controls) but the similarities make it a natural tangent.

I've heard conflicting numbers as to how many refugees Obama wants to take in.

Does anyone know what they are- from the house's mouth?

When top intelligence people are saying it needs reviewed only a sniveling little arrogant SOB wouldn't listen. Basically your average know it all liberal.This is not about the refugees for him. He is only interested in standing his ground politically.
This is the second time you've made this charge. Who are these top intelligence people? Are they actively working for our government?

Reminds me of the general after Pearl Harbor who said something to the effect that the fact that there was no evidence of Japanese American sabatoge was in itself entirely suspicious.

There is no way to argue against paranoia. It just has to run its course like the flu.

Users who are viewing this thread