What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arizona passes nation's toughest immigration law (1 Viewer)

Tim's got it about right IMO. If police can't randomly stop brown people and demand they prove they're citizens the law has been gutted. That was the heart of this law, and its most publicized feature.

2(B) is the part upheld. From the opinion: "If the law only requires state officers to conduct a status check during the course of an authorized, lawful detention or after a detainee has been released, the provision would likely survive preemption."
And if this had been the only aspect of the law to begin with, there never would have been a controversy in the first place.
:shrug: This is the section of the law that requires police to "check your papers". Seemed that was the most controversial section when this was first being discussed.
No the controversy came from applying this to stopping people for looking like immigrants and asking for their papers. Not for checking immigration status as part of an criminal investigation of something else.
Not quite true. That part was extremely controversial as well. Just listening to the Arizona attorney general right now. After declaring victory because of 2b, he says Arizona police will start enforcing it today and will do so without racial profiling. I don't see how this provision can be enforced without racial profiling, unless the state asks for citizenship papers of every person they arrest (consider the bureacracy!) If they only question certain Latinos, then it's clearly racial profiling and will be challenged and tossed out.

:thumbup: John Roberts.
I'd keep my thumb in its holster until Thursday.
Yeah, and unfortunately I think this decision will be thrown back in our faces when us liberals are up in arms 2-3 days from now.
Not sure how one decision has anything to do with the other, EXCEPT that this decision seems to demonstrate that you can't trust what goes on in oral debates in order to predict the outcome. If that is the case, then perhaps the "experts" who predicted the repeal of HCR are wrong as well...

Yeah, and unfortunately I think this decision will be thrown back in our faces when us liberals are up in arms 2-3 days from now.
If ObamaCare is overturned, it'll be interesting to contrast and compare the behavior of those on the right after this ruling to the behavior of those on the left after Thursday.
How would you describe the behavior of the left?

Not sure how one decision has anything to do with the other, EXCEPT that this decision seems to demonstrate that you can't trust what goes on in oral debates in order to predict the outcome. If that is the case, then perhaps the "experts" who predicted the repeal of HCR are wrong as well...
I think the way TGunz is envisioning it, the liberals will accuse the Supreme Court of being a bunch of Republican partisan hacks if they strike down the Health Care law. And the Court's defenders will say "no they aren't -- look at what happened in the Arizona immigration case."

EXCEPT that this decision seems to demonstrate that you can't trust what goes on in oral debates in order to predict the outcome.
I'm pretty sure any attorney that has his commen sense button turned on when debating politics would tell you that. I've had judges broadside me so bad I didn't know what end was up and I've won, and I've had judges joke around with me and make it seem like they were on my side, only to gut me. I actually had one judge after a bench trial pull all of the attorneys in his office and in front of the two other guys that combined had been practicing for close to 100 years said that I did a great job and he was impressed with my argument.And the proceeded to find against me in every single count. :shrug:

I think the way TGunz is envisioning it, the liberals will accuse the Supreme Court of being a bunch of Republican partisan hacks if they strike down the Health Care law. And the Court's defenders will say "no they aren't -- look at what happened in the Arizona immigration case."
I see now. Thanks. It's a good point.

I'm a pretty far left leaner, but I don't think (at least I hope) that many on the left will think this is the case. I'm sure there will be some vocal lefties complaining, and others that might initially make this complaint from emotion.However, I think most on the left don't actually belief Justice Kennedy is anything close to a "partisan hack".

EXCEPT that this decision seems to demonstrate that you can't trust what goes on in oral debates in order to predict the outcome.
I'm pretty sure any attorney that has his commen sense button turned on when debating politics would tell you that. I've had judges broadside me so bad I didn't know what end was up and I've won, and I've had judges joke around with me and make it seem like they were on my side, only to gut me. I actually had one judge after a bench trial pull all of the attorneys in his office and in front of the two other guys that combined had been practicing for close to 100 years said that I did a great job and he was impressed with my argument.And the proceeded to find against me in every single count. :shrug:
Very interesting. I certainly don't get that impression in the case of HCR. Let's face it: ever since Anthony Kennedy's challenging questions in the oral debate, conservatives have been jubilant, and liberals have been despondent. Everyone seems to agree that at least part of HCR is going to be overturned.

I'm a pretty far left leaner, but I don't think (at least I hope) that many on the left will think this is the case. I'm sure there will be some vocal lefties complaining, and others that might initially make this complaint from emotion.

However, I think most on the left don't actually belief Justice Kennedy is anything close to a "partisan hack".
Part of the reason that I think there's likely to be that reaction is because many of us believed that the cases were frivolous when they were filed and that if they made it to the Supreme Court, the law would be upheld by like 8-1 (Thomas dissenting). We've spent a lot of time debating the merits of the cases, and I still think that the arguments to strike down the law are weak. So if the Court strikes it down, partisan hackery seems like the most likely answer. Just like it was a popular sentiment after Bush v. Gore.**Don't start that crap about how Bush v. Gore was bipartisan because part of the opinion was 7-2. The most important part of the opinion was 5-4.

Very interesting. I certainly don't get that impression in the case of HCR. Let's face it: ever since Anthony Kennedy's challenging questions in the oral debate, conservatives have been jubilant, and liberals have been despondent. Everyone seems to agree that at least part of HCR is going to be overturned.
The court is going to have go against it's own decisions to strike down the mandate. I have been neither jubiliant or despondent. I think we get a 5-4 and have no idea which way it is going to go. Of course the US Chamber of Commerce has never lost in the Robert's Court so anti-HCR people have that going for them.

The court is going to have go against it's own decisions to strike down the mandate.
First, there's nothing wrong with going against its own decisions. Second, there's no previous Supreme Court decision directly on point, so it won't have to go against its own decisions no matter which way it rules. But that's probably a better discussion for a health care thread rather than an immigration thread.

I'm a pretty far left leaner, but I don't think (at least I hope) that many on the left will think this is the case. I'm sure there will be some vocal lefties complaining, and others that might initially make this complaint from emotion.

However, I think most on the left don't actually belief Justice Kennedy is anything close to a "partisan hack".
Part of the reason that I think there's likely to be that reaction is because many of us believed that the cases were frivolous when they were filed and that if they made it to the Supreme Court, the law would be upheld by like 8-1 (Thomas dissenting). We've spent a lot of time debating the merits of the cases, and I still think that the arguments to strike down the law are weak. So if the Court strikes it down, partisan hackery seems like the most likely answer. Just like it was a popular sentiment after Bush v. Gore.**Don't start that crap about how Bush v. Gore was bipartisan because part of the opinion was 7-2. The most important part of the opinion was 5-4.
Ezra Klein piece along these same lines. Here's the money quote from law prof Akil Amar:
Legal academics are similarly concerned. While I was reporting out my New Yorker piece, I spoke with Akhil Reid Amar, a leading constitutional law scholar at Yale, who thinks that a 5-4 party-line vote against the mandate would be shattering to the court’s reputation for being above politics. “I’ve only mispredicted one big Supreme Court case in the last 20 years,” he told me. “That was Bush v. Gore. And I was able to internalize that by saying they only had a few minutes to think about it and they leapt to the wrong conclusion. If they decide this by 5-4, then yes, it’s disheartening to me, because my life was a fraud. Here I was, in my silly little office, thinking law mattered, and it really didn’t. What mattered was politics, money, party, and party loyalty.”

Here is a quote from Scalia's dissent, per CNN:

If Arizona had known about this ruling in advance, it never would have joined the United States in the first place.

Or something to that effect.

The court is going to have go against it's own decisions to strike down the mandate.

I have been neither jubiliant or despondent. I think we get a 5-4 and have no idea which way it is going to go. Of course the US Chamber of Commerce has never lost in the Robert's Court so anti-HCR people have that going for them.
How so? They have never had to make a decision like this.

If ObamaCare is overturned, it'll be interesting to contrast and compare the behavior of those on the right after this ruling to the behavior of those on the left after Thursday.
This liberal will be happy if ObamaCare is ruled unconsitutional, them maybe it won't be another 30-40 years until we get universal or medicare for all!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Arizona case is pretty interesting if you're into federal preemption issues, and who isn't?

Forget about how you think illegal immigration issues should be handled. That's not the point. The point is how to handle a situation where both the federal government and a state government seek to regulate the same sort of thing.

Suppose the federal government passes the Healthy Eating Act, which requires every household to purchase one pound of broccoli each month. Failure to do so results in a $50 fine.

Suppose the state of Mississippi passes a law saying that all broccoli sold in that state must be deep fried and coated in powdered sugar. It also ups the penalty for failing to purchase the federal minimum to $500 and ten days in jail.

The federal and state laws may not be inconsistent with each other on their face, but it's clear that there's some tension between them. How should the courts handle it?

Based on my quick skim of the opinions in the Arizona case, there are a few ways.

Justice Thomas would say that the Mississippi law should be enforced as long as it doesn't contradict the federal law. Since buying fried broccoli is not inconsistent with buying broccoli, it looks like both laws can be enforced. If Congress wanted people to buy fresh broccoli instead of fried, it could have said so. It didn't say so. Therefore, the Mississippi law should be upheld.

Justice Scalia would say that Mississippi is a sovereign state that has a right to regulate food-related matters regardless of what the federal government does. Therefore, the Mississippi law should be upheld.

Everybody else, as far as I can tell, would say that a state law is unenforceable not only if it explicitly contradicts federal law, but also if it frustrates the purpose or objectives of a federal law on the same topic — or, one might say, if it's inconsistent with the spirit of the federal law, even if not the letter. (The majority struck down three out of four challenged provisions using this reasoning; Justice Alito would have struck down only one of the four. But he seems to take the same general approach; he just disagrees about the extent to which the state law goes against the spirit of the federal law.) Under this approach, requiring broccoli to be deep fried and coated in sugar seems to go against the objectives of the federal Healthy Eating Act, and would likely be preempted.

I think Justice Scalia's approach is hopelessly romantic.

At first blush, Justice Thomas's approach has a few things going for it. First, it generates clearer answers since it's less wishy-washy. Second, it puts the onus on Congress to specify under what circumstances its legislation will preempt state laws. In theory, this should again promote clarity; and it doesn't really limit what Congress can do (or prevent states from doing) — it just forces Congress to be more explicit about those choices.

On second thought, however, I don't think Thomas's approach really does promote clarity. I envision Congress just adding a line to every law saying "this Act shall preempt any state laws that frustrate its purpose." And we're back to using the Kennedy-Roberts-Ginsburg-Breyer-Sotomayor-Alito test after all. (Kagan sat this one out.)

Ultimately, I think the majority's approach makes good sense. (I also think Alito had some decent arguments that a couple of the struck-down provisions don't impermissibly step on federal toes.)

Did the court define "a reasonable suspicion" to check immigration status? That seems ripe for further review imo
Apparently this remains open to question, and to challenge. Importantly, it can only be done if you're already arrested for some other reason. But it seems pretty simple to me that if an entity like the ACLU waits a few months and then points out that, of those who were asked for papers, 95% of them were Latino, it will be extremely difficult for Arizona to claim that racial profiling is not happening.

Did the court define "a reasonable suspicion" to check immigration status? That seems ripe for further review imo
Federal law already gives state officers the authority to check immigration status, so that provision of the Arizona law doesn't present any preemption issues.It is possible that Arizona officers will exercise their authority in an unconstitutional way. But a constitutional challenge in that regard will have to wait until it actually happens.

Interesting contrasts here:BBC Headline:

Arizona migrant check ruled legalThe US Supreme Court upholds key parts of an Arizona immigration law, allowing police to check immigration status of those stopped and arrested.
CNN Headline:
BLOW TO IMMIGRATION LAWCourt to Arizona: You went too far

Ezra Klein piece along these same lines. Here's the money quote from law prof Akil Amar:
Legal academics are similarly concerned. While I was reporting out my New Yorker piece, I spoke with Akhil Reid Amar, a leading constitutional law scholar at Yale, who thinks that a 5-4 party-line vote against the mandate would be shattering to the court’s reputation for being above politics. “I’ve only mispredicted one big Supreme Court case in the last 20 years,” he told me. “That was Bush v. Gore. And I was able to internalize that by saying they only had a few minutes to think about it and they leapt to the wrong conclusion. If they decide this by 5-4, then yes, it’s disheartening to me, because my life was a fraud. Here I was, in my silly little office, thinking law mattered, and it really didn’t. What mattered was politics, money, party, and party loyalty.”
I agree with Klein here, which is why I think we should all expect the liberal justices to side with the conservative majority for the good of the court. Glad you guys are with me on this.

I agree with Klein here, which is why I think we should all expect the liberal justices to side with the conservative majority for the good of the court. Glad you guys are with me on this.
If it does get overturned, I hope it isn't 5-4 and some of the liberals on the court agree. I don't think 5-4 votes along partisan lines are good at all. If HCR holds up, I wouldn't be surprised if Roberts comes along and makes it 6-3.

... I actually had one judge after a bench trial pull all of the attorneys in his office and in front of the two other guys that combined had been practicing for close to 100 years said that I did a great job and he was impressed with my argument.And the proceeded to find against me in every single count. :shrug:
That is generally how I feel about most of your post. Very impressed with your arguments, but you are still wrong most of the time. ;)In this case I guess the Supreme Court disagreed with your assertion that this law was a bunch of nothing.

So how is it our knowledgeable attorneys are still trying to digest the opinion, but Tim's comfortable saying it's "gutted"?
Read the thread. Many of our knowledgeable attorneys largely whiffed from day one in this thread. Though you have to acknowledge that some of our attorney members routinely make idiotic assertions just to keep their debating skill well polished.

Judge Richard Posner laid into Scalia in a Slate article.

He is very concerned with the fact that the Obama administration recently announced a program suspending deportation efforts directed at more than1 million illegal immigrants under the age of 30. He quotes President Obama as having said that the program was “the right thing to do.” Justice Scalia says that it “boggles the mind” to think that Arizona could be contradicting federal law by enforcing applications of federal immigration law “that the President declines to enforce.” He says that the federal government “does not want to enforce the immigration laws as written, and leaves the States’ borders unprotected against immigrants whom those laws would exclude.” The federal government is “refus[ing] to enforce the Nation’s immigration laws.”

These are fighting words. The nation is in the midst of a hard-fought presidential election campaign; the outcome is in doubt. Illegal immigration is a campaign issue. It wouldn’t surprise me if Justice Scalia’s opinion were quoted in campaign ads. The program that appalls Justice Scalia was announced almost two months after the oral argument in the Arizona case. It seems rather a belated development to figure in an opinion in the case…

In his peroration, Justice Scalia says that “Arizona bears the brunt of the country’s illegal immigration problem. Its citizens feel themselves under siege by large numbers of illegal immigrant who invade their property, strain their social services, and even place their lives in jeopardy.” Arizona bears the brunt? Arizona is only one of the states that border Mexico, and if it succeeds in excluding illegal immigrants, these other states will bear the brunt, so it is unclear what the net gain to society would have been from Arizona’s efforts, now partially invalidated by the Supreme Court. But the suggestion that illegal immigrants in Arizona are invading Americans’ property, straining their social services, and even placing their lives in jeopardy is sufficiently inflammatory to call for a citation to some reputable source of such hyperbole. Justice Scalia cites nothing to support it.

As of last year there were estimated to be 360,000 illegal immigrants in Arizona, which is less than 6 percent of the Arizona population—below the estimated average illegal immigrant population of the United States. (So much for Arizona’s bearing the brunt of illegal immigration.) Maybe Arizona’s illegal immigrants are more violent, less respectful of property, worse spongers off social services, and otherwise more obnoxious than the illegal immigrants in other states, but one would like to see some evidence of that.

He is very concerned with the fact that the Obama administration recently announced a program suspending deportation efforts directed at more than1 million illegal immigrants under the age of 30. He quotes President Obama as having said that the program was “the right thing to do.” Justice Scalia says that it “boggles the mind” to think that Arizona could be contradicting federal law by enforcing applications of federal immigration law “that the President declines to enforce.” He says that the federal government “does not want to enforce the immigration laws as written, and leaves the States’ borders unprotected against immigrants whom those laws would exclude.” The federal government is “refus[ing] to enforce the Nation’s immigration laws.”

These are fighting words. The nation is in the midst of a hard-fought presidential election campaign; the outcome is in doubt. Illegal immigration is a campaign issue. It wouldn’t surprise me if Justice Scalia’s opinion were quoted in campaign ads. The program that appalls Justice Scalia was announced almost two months after the oral argument in the Arizona case. It seems rather a belated development to figure in an opinion in the case…

In his peroration, Justice Scalia says that “Arizona bears the brunt of the country’s illegal immigration problem. Its citizens feel themselves under siege by large numbers of illegal immigrant who invade their property, strain their social services, and even place their lives in jeopardy.” Arizona bears the brunt? Arizona is only one of the states that border Mexico, and if it succeeds in excluding illegal immigrants, these other states will bear the brunt, so it is unclear what the net gain to society would have been from Arizona’s efforts, now partially invalidated by the Supreme Court. But the suggestion that illegal immigrants in Arizona are invading Americans’ property, straining their social services, and even placing their lives in jeopardy is sufficiently inflammatory to call for a citation to some reputable source of such hyperbole. Justice Scalia cites nothing to support it.

As of last year there were estimated to be 360,000 illegal immigrants in Arizona, which is less than 6 percent of the Arizona population—below the estimated average illegal immigrant population of the United States. (So much for Arizona’s bearing the brunt of illegal immigration.) Maybe Arizona’s illegal immigrants are more violent, less respectful of property, worse spongers off social services, and otherwise more obnoxious than the illegal immigrants in other states, but one would like to see some evidence of that.
Posner owns Scalia.

'Todd Andrews said:
'Maurile Tremblay said:

Posner owns Scalia.
Estimated. You think that Illegal immigrants in Arizona are lining up to be counted in the census? Could it be that in a state as tough on immigration as Arizona has been, illegal immigrants may be less public?

'Maurile Tremblay said:

Posner is usually better than that. I don't find this very compelling of anything other than his opinion of Scalia, but we've pretty much known his opinion of Scalia for some time. Although, he does raise an interesting point. "If [Arizona] succees in excluding illegal immigrants, these other states will bear the brunt, so it is unclear what the net fain to society would have been from Arizona's efforts..."

Without sitting down to write a brief against Judge Posner (although that would be fun in a nerdlawyer type of way) I think he raises an issue that might not be fair to Arizona. The Arizona law, such as it was, was a law passed by Arizona for the people of Arizona. The greater societal good - I read that to be all of our country, or at least the part ofthe country dealing with illegal immigration issues - is not their concern. That is the concern of the federal government, if at all. The Arizona legislature is empowered to administer, along with the Governor, the State of Arizona. They aren't there to makes the lives of people in New Mexico better. This is a rather fundamental point in federalism. Each state is its own sovereign. And I still find Arizona's overall theoretical argument valid - if the federal government won't enforce the law and the result is a harm to Arizona, why can't Arizona enforce it? It's a comelling question to me that calls into question the nature of our federalist system.

As for sharing the brunt of the illegal immigration problem, again, if he recognizes a problem, we fall back into a federalism argument again. Is the government of Arizona supposed to do nothing for its citizens because what they do might hurt citizens of New Mexico? If that is a true position than the State of Delaware needs to be decertified as a state because their business formation and taxaion laws make them a great place to house a business to the deteriment of the tax base of other states. But I know Posner doesn't think that, so why add this part to his comments? It's like we all recognize a problem but we disagree on a solution, and in that disagreement we lose sight of the problem. The old axe to a friends forehead to get a fly type thing.

If I was on the Court I probably would have sidded with Arizona on this one, but I understand why they didn't, and in some respects it was a fair holding. But the question still bugs me about the enforcement or nonenforcement of the federal government. What is a state to do in this situation? I don't know if we have a good answer, or even if there is one.

Is there any doubt that this law, and the one in Alabama, increased Latino support for the Democrats last night? 73%!!!

Until and unless Republicans are willing to confront this issue and agree to some sort of Path to Citizenship for illegals, they're not going to win very many national elections.

Is there any doubt that this law, and the one in Alabama, increased Latino support for the Democrats last night? 73%!!!Until and unless Republicans are willing to confront this issue and agree to some sort of Path to Citizenship for illegals, they're not going to win very many national elections.
Completely agree. People coming here from Mexico and elsewhere are looking for opportunity and a future. They want to work hard and make a life for themselves, I've seen it. Policies based on liberty and economic freedom should be an easy sell to these folks. The Latino vote is there for the taking by Republicans IMO. Old white people afraid of brown people is a dwindling demographic. Latino is a skyrocketing one. This should be pretty simple, every state from Florida to Arizona are locked up basically forever. It's not like the Dems are going to try to pick up the anti-immigrant vote in response.

Steven Seagal says he may run for Arizona governorCBS NEWS

PHOENIX -- Action-movie star Steven Seagal says he is considering a run for Arizona governor.

The "Marked for Death" actor told KNXV-TV that he is considering a shot at the state's highest office and has had a talk about the bid with the self-proclaimed toughest sheriff in America.

The 61-year-old made the comments while talking about his newly released reality series "Steven Seagal - Lawman: Maricopa County."

Seagal teamed up with Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for the show that was shot in Arizona and airs on cable TV's Reelz Channel.

The martial arts expert is a member of Arpaio's posse, made up of 3,000 unpaid civilians. He also has been deputized with sheriff's offices in New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana and says he wants to increase border security.

Users who are viewing this thread