What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ARod to make $30 million? (1 Viewer)

Kige Ramsey

Footballguy
As you've probably heard by now, ARod's agent Scott Boras wants to negotiate an extension for ARod for $30 million per year. This is ridiculous. I think that what he's making now is more than enough money. He just needs to honor his contract and then worry about what comes next. Honor your contract!

This is Kige Ramsey for YouTube Sports.

I love hearing about how losers like A-Rod (or any overpaid athlete/entertainer) are allowed to make $30 million per year playing a sport where teachers, like me, are in jeopardy of losing a $35k a year job in Massachusetts due to budget constraints. It irks me to no end. I wish I viewed athletes as heroes like I did as a kid, now I just view them as spoiled jerks.

Ahhhhh. I feel better.

People get what someone is offering, no one is putting a gun to their head. If Steinfool wants to waste his money, who are we to tell him no?

A rod can opt out of his current deal after this year if he so desires. I agree that salaries have spiraled out of control, but he ought to get whatever the market will bear. I think it is criminal that teachers do not get paid more when you compare what a ballplayers contributes to society versus a teacher ( and I am neither), but that is a different subject altogether. I think he gets close to 35 mill per year before all is said and done.

A rod can opt out of his current deal after this year if he so desires. I agree that salaries have spiraled out of control, but he ought to get whatever the market will bear. I think it is criminal that teachers do not get paid more when you compare what a ballplayers contributes to society versus a teacher ( and I am neither), but that is a different subject altogether. I think he gets close to 35 mill per year before all is said and done.
Well, if Clemens is worth $28 million then I can see A-Rod getting $40 million. Ichiro getting $20 million? That is really obscene.

Ballplayers are worth more than teachers to society. We can tell this because they make many times more. Their relative value is much, much higher. Please, stop with the "This is horrible, they make so much money" shtick. They're the best in the world at what they do. If you're on the verge of losing your teaching job in lower hoboken, BFE, you're not the best in the world at what you do. There's not even a comparison here.I would wager a guess that the median teacher makes a hell of a lot more than the median baseball player too. It's stupid to compare the top 2% in the world in something to a normal Joe in something else and even think that you're making an intelligent conversation.

Ballplayers are worth more than teachers to society. We can tell this because they make many times more. Their relative value is much, much higher. Please, stop with the "This is horrible, they make so much money" shtick. They're the best in the world at what they do. If you're on the verge of losing your teaching job in lower hoboken, BFE, you're not the best in the world at what you do. There's not even a comparison here.I would wager a guess that the median teacher makes a hell of a lot more than the median baseball player too. It's stupid to compare the top 2% in the world in something to a normal Joe in something else and even think that you're making an intelligent conversation.
:goodposting: I hate when teachers whine.You guys are the biggest babies in the world. You have the summer off. Your job is easy. My sister and sister in law are both teachers. They both fully admit they have sweet jobs.We arent even talking benefits here.One of my buddies is a teacher and he runs a landscaping business also. He makes twice as much doing landscaping but keeps the teaching job because the benefits are great and he loves his job. He loves getting a week off for xmas and easter and he loves being home from work at 3:30 to see his kids. If you thought you were going to make a ton of money then you picked the wrong job

There's a part of me that wishes that if he opts out of his contract, his best offer comes in at 2 million a year. It would just be great to see Boras :rolleyes:

There's a part of me that wishes that if he opts out of his contract, his best offer comes in at 2 million a year. It would just be great to see Boras :o
:) A little collusion amongst the owners never hurt anybody. I'm still not sure why he'd go through the hassle of opting out. He scheduled to make 27 million per for the next 3 years. And he's looking for 30? If he want out of NY fine, but causing a hassle for a bigger contract in NY will only make his life more miserable. And I say NY, because they or BOS will be the only ones fool enough to pay that.Also, obviously he is great, but what do the top players in the game make now, 18-20 million per? That's some stones to say I make 25% more than the greatest players on the planet, but now I want to make 50% more.

Ballplayers are worth more than teachers to society.
Anyone who believes this is insane.

Both are overrated.

Well, if Clemens is worth $28 million then I can see A-Rod getting $40 million. Ichiro getting $20 million? That is really obscene.
Ichiro got $18 mil and Clemens did get a prorated amount of $28 mil, but that is not reality as it is only for the time he is/was active on the team so the amount was about half of that + and a big difference is that it is for 1 year. There is NO way ARod gets $35 mil for 5 years, no way at all. Personally, I don't think he gets $30 mil a year or $150 mil for 5 or so years. There are only a few guys making over 20 mil a year (you can't really even count Clemens) and they are guys like Bonds, Pujols and Jeter and nobody makes more than $23 mil (from what I can gather). ARod will make $28 mil for the next 3 years if he stays in his current contract and I really doubt anyone else is going to pay more or much more than that. ARod would be foolish to leave NY and the Yanks attempt to add on years is the smart move for both parties as Texas is picking up $30 mil of the contract the next 3 years so the Yanks are only paying $18 mil a year for the next 3. So if the Yanks say that they are saving about 6 mil a year for the next 3 years that gives them $18 mil to add to the additional years. So if the Yanks say “stay with us 3 additional years until you are 37 we will add $84 mil to the contract. This sounds great for ARod and reasonable for the Yanks. ARod gets $28 for the next 6 years which is a lot higher than anyone else and the Yanks really "only" $23 mil a year. I honestly can’t see ANY team paying ARod $28 mil a year for the next 6 years as that would be a mistake IMO and I think ARod is the best player in the game.Remember folks just last year people were saying how they didn’t like ARod and he was WAY overpaid. Now he is having a great season and he deserves $30 mil (NO way) He is a great player and deserves to be paid as the highest or at the top so it is impossible for me to see how getting $5 mil a year more for ARod isn’t a great deal? Personally, I think that getting $25 mil for those extra years is more in line if Pujols is getting $22.

Ichiro's 20 mil at age 34 definitley makes A Roda 30 mil asking price reasonable at the age of 32. The # of teams with those funds are limited and he is not going to get a 7 year deal, but someone will give it to him. Cubs, Orioles, Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, all have the $$$$$

How many teachers can hit a 98 mph fastball and a devastating 12-6 breaking ball?
This comment is a swing and a miss though. Teachers do not deserve to be paid more, but there job in society is clearly way more important. The difference is that many people could teach, but most people can't play pro ball. The MAIN issue is the amount of the discrepancy and that is the problem (The top earning .5 percent of the country are pulling way away from the pack). If teachers made $100,000+ a year and were evaluated and scrutinized to get the best teachers, you would not only be helping society but you would be getting more "smart" people getting into teaching instead of other higher paying fields.Anyone who is making over $100,000 on these threads could relate to decisions being made about what profession they wanted to get into. If Teachers made more it would be an option, but at the current pay structure, it is not even a thought.

Anyone who results to name calling is clearly overmatched by the intellect of the person they're insulting, otherwise you'd tell me why I'm insane rather than make a carmelo swipe/run away.You may, however, be right. A $35k teacher compared in the sense of all the baseball players in the world is probably roughly equivalent to woz. There's a lot of baseball players out there who don't make a dime..Also, I'd be curious how much someone like Steven Hawking makes in a year. He's at the top of his proession, giving lectures and speaking (selling out large venues) which is teaching, just at a higher level. He would be a better comparison to A-Rod than Mrs. Tamarack, the 3rd grade teacher who got into teaching because she didn't know what else to do.My mom and my sister are teachers. I have a very high respect for what teachers do - I know I'd suck at it. Fortunately, neither my mother or my sister are whiny tools who begrudge others their success. They both full well admit that they have very easy jobs, enjoy the fact that between summer, winter, and spring break they work less than 3/4 of the year, and like the fact that it's pretty low stress, or in other words, easy in relative terms to other jobs.Class dismissed

Anyone who results to name calling is clearly overmatched by the intellect of the person they're insulting, otherwise you'd tell me why I'm insane rather than make a carmelo swipe/run away.You may, however, be right. A $35k teacher compared in the sense of all the baseball players in the world is probably roughly equivalent to woz. There's a lot of baseball players out there who don't make a dime..Also, I'd be curious how much someone like Steven Hawking makes in a year. He's at the top of his proession, giving lectures and speaking (selling out large venues) which is teaching, just at a higher level. He would be a better comparison to A-Rod than Mrs. Tamarack, the 3rd grade teacher who got into teaching because she didn't know what else to do.My mom and my sister are teachers. I have a very high respect for what teachers do - I know I'd suck at it. Fortunately, neither my mother or my sister are whiny tools who begrudge others their success. They both full well admit that they have very easy jobs, enjoy the fact that between summer, winter, and spring break they work less than 3/4 of the year, and like the fact that it's pretty low stress, or in other words, easy in relative terms to other jobs.Class dismissed
Oh wow, you were serious??

Users who are viewing this thread