What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Assuming the Dolphins get the #1 pick (1 Viewer)

SayWhat?

Footballguy
I've seen a few mocks that have the Dolphins selecting McFadden (currently at #1, obviously). Outside of the thinking that McFadden may be the best player in the draft, does this make any sense whatsoever for the Phins?

I mean, don't they have FAR greater needs than yet another running back? Ronnie was proving to be a more than capable feature back and Chatman has shown decent skills as a starter or emergency plug-in.

I just don't see any way the Dolphins could afford to use such a valuable pick on another running back when they have so many other glaring needs. Am I off base on this? Does the likelihood that they'd take him increase if they end up in the 2-7 pick range and he's still on the board?

Just because RB's go 1 over all in FFB does not mean they do so in the NFL. In fact it doesn't happen all that often...

They desperately need help in a lot of other areas so I think its safe to say there's no way they'll take him. Their depth at the RB position is another good indicator that they'll pass on him despite the obvious intrigue.

Just because RB's go 1 over all in FFB does not mean they do so in the NFL. In fact it doesn't happen all that often...
I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I find it odd, to say the least, when mocks have the Dolphins taking him. I just don't see it, but figured maybe I was missing something. :goodposting:

They desperately need help in a lot of other areas so I think its safe to say there's no way they'll take him. Their depth at the RB position is another good indicator that they'll pass on him despite the obvious intrigue.
Just because they have bodies occupying roster positions doesn't mean they have depth.Having said that, I think there's little chance they'd take a RB with that first pick.

They won't take McFadden because they now know what they have in Brown. Sure it will take about 18 months before Brown is 100% but they have enough depth to help them along til then. Plus, even if they had 4 first round picks they wouldn't be in contention next year anyways, so i doubt they are worried about haveing a RB that is 100% the first half of next year.

take McF & trade him away from div foe NE
Sure, this makes a lot of sense...NOT!...you do this and allow N.E. to select Dorsey and they'll stop everyone in the division from EVER running again, at least until 2012......Dorsey, Wilfork, and Seymour up front.....YIKES!

The only way they would take mcfadden is if they moved brown to fullback(which has been talked about in the miami media at times) and mcfadden at tailback. The one thing I can assure you is that cameron will not draft on need, he will take the best overall player in his mind(see ted ginn jr)

The only way they would take mcfadden is if they moved brown to fullback(which has been talked about in the miami media at times) and mcfadden at tailback. The one thing I can assure you is that cameron will not draft on need, he will take the best overall player in his mind(see ted ginn jr)
Why does a sample size of one pick lead you to make this assurance?

I would guess that any mock that showed him #1 to MIA is really predicting MIA to trade down and acquire more picks with someone who wants McFadden at 1, but doesn't want to actually put the trade in their mock. Can't see it myself, but some can.

Just because they have bodies occupying roster positions doesn't mean they have depth.Having said that, I think there's little chance they'd take a RB with that first pick.
Brown, Chatman, Rickie, Gado, Booker, Cobbs. That seems to satisfy your definition of "depth". If they DID have no other holes to fill they would be stupid to draft McFadden with 4-6 decent backs. Besides, they just selected Booker in last year's draft and took Brown in '05. Although some teams have been hyper-focused on specific positions in the early rounds before (Detriot, lol), I think it's too early to label Booker a mistake.

Brown, Chatman, Rickie, Gado, Booker, Cobbs. That seems to satisfy your definition of "depth". If they DID have no other holes to fill they would be stupid to draft McFadden with 4-6 decent backs. Besides, they just selected Booker in last year's draft and took Brown in '05. Although some teams have been hyper-focused on specific positions in the early rounds before (Detriot, lol), I think it's too early to label Booker a mistake.
I think that with Brown injured that they have NO decent backs and therefore no depth either. Booker hasn't done a thing even with the window of opportunity given.Every squad has 4 or 5 backs, it's just a matter of how talented they are.

It's the exact same question of "Why would the Vikes take Peterson when they have decent depth with Chet Taylor and Mewelde Moore?" The answer is simply "Because he's a lot better than they are."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that with Brown injured that they have NO decent backs and therefore no depth either. Booker hasn't done a thing even with the window of opportunity given.Every squad has 4 or 5 backs, it's just a matter of how talented they are.

It's the exact same question of "Why would the Vikes take Peterson when they have decent depth with Chet Taylor and Mewelde Moore?" The answer is simply "Because he's a lot better than they are."
Minnesota also had the luxury of having near dominant lines on both offense and defense. They didnt need to draft a big guy upfront because he probably wouldnt start. Peterson was a logical pick, especially in the 7 hole. Big difference in drafting 1st and 7th. We're talking about a winless team that's atleast 2 or 3 years away from competing with the best teams. And as an organization, you really need to build up front with big guys before picking little skill guys. Miami will take Dorsey or Jake Long or Chris Long or whichever lineman they assess as the best fit for what they need. But they absolutely need to take a big guy. The just drafted a RB #2 a couple of years ago and look how far that's gotten them.

I think that with Brown injured that they have NO decent backs and therefore no depth either. Booker hasn't done a thing even with the window of opportunity given.Every squad has 4 or 5 backs, it's just a matter of how talented they are.It's the exact same question of "Why would the Vikes take Peterson when they have decent depth with Chet Taylor and Mewelde Moore?" The answer is simply "Because he's a lot better than they are."
Chester Taylor is solid, but his long-term potential is much more limited than Ronnie Brown's. Based on that, I don't think you can say it's the exact same question. Chatman has shown he is a serviceable backup and Booker hasn't even been given a chance yet. Brown was the top back before going down midway through the season and he's expected to make a full recovery from the injury before the start of next season.

I think that with Brown injured that they have NO decent backs and therefore no depth either. Booker hasn't done a thing even with the window of opportunity given.Every squad has 4 or 5 backs, it's just a matter of how talented they are.It's the exact same question of "Why would the Vikes take Peterson when they have decent depth with Chet Taylor and Mewelde Moore?" The answer is simply "Because he's a lot better than they are."
Chester Taylor is solid, but his long-term potential is much more limited than Ronnie Brown's. Based on that, I don't think you can say it's the exact same question. Chatman has shown he is a serviceable backup and Booker hasn't even been given a chance yet. Brown was the top back before going down midway through the season and he's expected to make a full recovery from the injury before the start of next season.
I suppose. And I'm just playing a little devil's advocate here, going under the assumption of Brown NOT recovering well. If he is, then there's no way they Fins take McFadden.Or at least there's no way they SHOULD take him.Still, this situation is reminiscent of the Saints just two years ago. They were terrible, their top RB had torn his ACL, and were sitting at the #2 spot when they took Bush. You can debate whether or not that was the right decision.

Still, this situation is reminiscent of the Saints just two years ago. They were terrible, their top RB had torn his ACL, and were sitting at the #2 spot when they took Bush. You can debate whether or not that was the right decision.
Again, this really is not a similar situation due to the age of the incumbent starter that is being replaced. Brown was just drafted 2 years ago, while Mcallister was drafted 5 years before Bush. I don't need to debate whether it was the right decision because it really isn't comparable.

Still, this situation is reminiscent of the Saints just two years ago. They were terrible, their top RB had torn his ACL, and were sitting at the #2 spot when they took Bush. You can debate whether or not that was the right decision.
Again, this really is not a similar situation due to the age of the incumbent starter that is being replaced. Brown was just drafted 2 years ago, while Mcallister was drafted 5 years before Bush. I don't need to debate whether it was the right decision because it really isn't comparable.
Okay.

With how many needs the team has I think it would be crazy for them not to trade down. If they don't trade down I can see then going Dorsey, Long, or the QB they think will be thier franchise QB (Brohm maybe).

With how many needs the team has I think it would be crazy for them not to trade down. If they don't trade down I can see then going Dorsey, Long, or the QB they think will be thier franchise QB (Brohm maybe).
We say that every year. Of course it's true, but with it taking two to tango, it's very rare. And if they do move down, they should want to stay in the top 10 at least. Which presently is...

1 Miami

2T New York Jets

2T St. Louis

4 New England

5 Atlanta 3-8

6 Oakland 3-8

7 Cincinnati 4-7

8T Kansas City

8T Baltimore 4-7

10 Carolina 4-7

The Jets, Rams, Pats, Bengals, Chiefs and Panthers aren't going to move up.

Atlanta will stay put and take a QB, or consider McFadden if he falls.

That leaves Oakland and Baltimore as possibilities. They have needs of their own that preclude them from giving up what's necessary to move from #6 and #8 to #1 overall.

We say that every year. Of course it's true, but with it taking two to tango, it's very rare. And if they do move down, they should want to stay in the top 10 at least. Which presently is...

1 Miami

2T New York Jets

2T St. Louis

4 New England

5 Atlanta 3-8

6 Oakland 3-8

7 Cincinnati 4-7

8T Kansas City

8T Baltimore 4-7

10 Carolina 4-7

That leaves Oakland and Baltimore as possibilities. They have needs of their own that preclude them from giving up what's necessary to move from #6 and #8 to #1 overall.
I think St. Louis is in a position to trade up to the #1 to take Long. Thier team is not the same without that LT.

They would be very stupid to waste a 1st on a QB after drafting John Beck with a 2nd last year. I don't think there's any question at all as to what areas they're focusing on with this pick.

1 Miami

2T New York Jets

2T St. Louis

4 New England

5 Atlanta 3-8

6 Oakland 3-8

7 Cincinnati 4-7

8T Kansas City

8T Baltimore 4-7

10 Carolina 4-7

I think St. Louis is in a position to trade up to the #1 to take Long. Thier team is not the same without that LT.
Possibly. But moving up requires picks that a bad team, like the Rams, can't afford to give up. That's the catch 22 that the Dolphins are dealing with. And if the Fins did take Long and he WAS the player the Rams wanted, they'd make the Fins pick him first and trade afterwards. Otherwise they'd just pick another player at their position.Nevermind the fact that Jake Long, while a terrific player, may not be worth the #1 overall.

I'd guess the Rams would be happy with either one of the Long's or Dorsey.

1 Miami

2T New York Jets

2T St. Louis

4 New England

5 Atlanta 3-8

6 Oakland 3-8

7 Cincinnati 4-7

8T Kansas City

8T Baltimore 4-7

10 Carolina 4-7

While I do not believe the Jets would trade up for McFadden, I think if they do end up in the #2 spot behind Miami, they will take whoever falls to them (either McFadden or Dorsey). Now if Miami were to take Long, I have no clue who the Jets would take between the previously mentioned two.

While I do not believe the Jets would trade up for McFadden, I think if they do end up in the #2 spot behind Miami, they will take whoever falls to them (either McFadden or Dorsey). Now if Miami were to take Long, I have no clue who the Jets would take between the previously mentioned two.
I don't think the Jets would be faulted for taking McFadden.Dorsey may not fit the 3-4 scheme. Not at NT at least.

They would be very stupid to waste a 1st on a QB after drafting John Beck with a 2nd last year. I don't think there's any question at all as to what areas they're focusing on with this pick.
Really?Beck is what? 26?Teams don't find themselves in the #1 position very often. When you get in that spot you take the opportunity to grab a franchise QB (which Beck is not).

Really?Beck is what? 26?Teams don't find themselves in the #1 position very often. When you get in that spot you take the opportunity to grab a franchise QB (which Beck is not).
Who needs the #1 overall pick to grab their franchise QB? Houston? Cleveland? Atlanta? San Fran? No way will Miami take a QB with that pick. As close to slim as possible as it gets.

Who needs the #1 overall pick to grab their franchise QB? Houston? Cleveland? Atlanta? San Fran? No way will Miami take a QB with that pick. As close to slim as possible as it gets.
OK. Thanks.

OK. Thanks.
Well, you made a point that Miami isnt going to stick with a kid because he's 26, even though they spent a high 2nd round pick on the guy. And now they'll give up on him because the guy's a year and a half younger than Tony Romo, an UNDRAFTED star? Im just making a point that when you do what Minnesota does and draft an LT early, then move to get an AllPro LG and secure your AllPro C, then bring in a stud RB, good things will happen. Or when youre Cleveland, and you draft a stud LT with your top pick, then bring in some other quality veteran linemen in free agency to solidify the group, even a 6th round QB has a chance to succeed. It starts upfront. Not by drafting a QB when the rest of the team stinks. And of course, youre welcome.

How do you know Beck is not a franchise QB? He was only taken a few picks after Quinn and everyone considers him a franchise QB. I think the end of the season will go a long way to telling if Beck is a franchise Qb and if he shows signs of progress then I would doubt that they will take a QB but if doesn't (ala Walter last year in OAK) then I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I wouldn't be surprised by anything actually, because they pretty much have need everywhere. I don't see a lot of depth behind Ronnie Brown myself: Rastaman is old, injured, and by next year three years away from having extensive NFL action; Chatman is a backup; Booker hasn't seen the field so it seems that they don't see much in him or consider him a role player. If Ronnie's recovery is not far along by March I wouldn't be surprised if they took McFadden, ala MN and AD. Anything is possible at this point.

It would be a horrible decision, beyond horrible really, but who knows. The Dolphins management is a joke...so it is a possibility..

I think McFadden ends up on the Jets or Bengals, and if I had to bet it'd be the Jets.
It's all going to come down to the order but I don't think he will be there when Cincy picks unless the Bengals continue to drop and land in the Top 3. Besides, CIN will still probably draft a DT or DE.

Mcfadden is solid, but they just don't need him and that would just not be logical.They need to draft talent in other regions, I mean they still have Ronnie Brown and just because he got hurt doesn't = career over time to hit the panic button.

Somebody is going to trade up for McFadden. I hope its the Bears. But it wont be.
I disagree. The cost is almost prohibitive.Unless Miami takes less than value.
:goodposting: I think they cannot go wrong with either of Dorsey or Long - but if they have McFadden as their top ranked player, they should take him. (Personally, I think Dorsey or Long are the better choices as they need help on both lines.)

Users who are viewing this thread