What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

At what point do you abandon a long-term strategy (1 Viewer)

Clifford

Footballguy
Obviously this is a specific question to a league I am in but I want this to be a general discussion about when to scrap plans you thought would really serve you well throughout the season and start hitting the WW scrapping for a win every week.

We're going into week 5 and teams that are 1 or less wins need to seriously start thinking about whether they will be making the playoffs at all. Obviously a lot of this depends on playoff size, but how many of you out there are dropping injured players just to get a win this week?

This is more for short-roster leagues where you just can't prepare for sustaining a ton of injuries.

Again, not a WWJD with this team, but to make it a little more concrete, I'm staring down Vick and Stafford at QB this week, and I really believe that both will be starting and playing really well by week 6, but If I tank this week and go 1-4, does that do me any good at that point? I would need to win weeks 6-9 for a winning record.

To sum up, is now the time to panic and scrap for every win you can, future be damned?

The point of FF is to win....win a trophy, money, respect, etc. If you think you have any chance to win you stick it out. If you think you have 0% chance in a dynasty....then you play it smart and trade for players that are underperforming....injured....or young for a chance at "winning" next year.

When circumstances or facts about the situation change, one needs to adapt to the new information.

Waivers or trades, do whatever it takes to get the W.

I'm in the same boat. I'm currently 0-4 and my team is Vick(w/Kolb)/Big Ben, Steven Jackson/Ray Rice/Tim Hightower/Cadillac Williams, Reggie Wayne/Hakeem Nicks/Hines Ward, Zach Miller/John Carleson.

In a redraft the future is now. You need to figure out how to get to the playoffs. Anything can happen then. Many FF championships have been derailed by a week 13 injury.

A reasonable approach is to publicly auction off your highest rated player. Make it clear that they are getting moved and if you get an offer that is sub-par to others make sure to tell that owner what the offer is that you expect to take. That gives them a chance to up their offer. I saw this work in a league of mine a few years back.

I don't play in dynasty but those seem to allow you to mail it in for the year and play for next year.

The answer to this question depends on whether you are in a redraft, keeper, or dynasty league. Different strategies would apply in these cases.

But assuming you're discussing re-draft. I think you need to probably drop one of your QBs and look to the waiver wire for a replacement. You state that you have short benches so there should be some talent out there to fill in for a week or two. I have seen your optimism about Stafford in other threads, but I think you probably have to get off the bus here. He likely won't play until after his week 8 bye and there's no guarantee that he plays well first thing back. I'd drop him and try to grab a guy like Bradford who could do a good job filling in.

In a dynasty league you might have make some trades or pack it in and try to make moves to help next year or sometime down the road. That's the best I can do with the information available.

To get at just the specific problem.

Stafford is on waivers in our redraft league. You need to get a healthy QB.
Exactly, Stafford hasnt proven enough to be held thru these circumstances in redraft, unless maybe its 16+ teams or 2QB. If thats the case you need to make a 2 for 2 trade involving Stafford and the Romo owners back up or Freeman, Farve or any own who has 2 decent QBs rostered.

"Everybody has a plan, ’till they get hit." — Mike Tyson

just like in the draft its great to have a long term plan and goal, but you need to deviate from it as the landscape changes if you want to win.

To make this more general. Is this the time to abandon "project" players? Those are the fliers you took convinced that if they just got a chance they'd be huge (or at least medium). If you have a losing record and expect to struggle just to make the playoffs I'd say yes. If you are strong you might be able to hold on a bit.

"Everybody has a plan, ’till they get hit." — Mike Tysonjust like in the draft its great to have a long term plan and goal, but you need to deviate from it as the landscape changes if you want to win.
This is more where I am leaning at this point. Wondering if Rice owners are feeling the same way. Trouble is now you are almost forced into a sell low with high-name-rec players like Rice, Moss, D-Will. If I say Moss is available (which I already have and no one wants him) I won't get so much as single offer for him.I think the desperate owners need to be the ones bringing the offers and likely offering players at well below their perceived value.

To make this more general. Is this the time to abandon "project" players? Those are the fliers you took convinced that if they just got a chance they'd be huge (or at least medium). If you have a losing record and expect to struggle just to make the playoffs I'd say yes. If you are strong you might be able to hold on a bit.
Thanks I don't want this to be about my situation. Best is a perfect example of this type. Spiller is a more extreme example. Both have shown that with 16-20 touches per game they could be successful players, but either injuries or morons are holding them back. Trouble is, I doubt I could get a player like Hillis for Rice at this point, and Spiller would elicit only laughter in a trade offer.Do you go ahead and target a player that is much riskier, injured, or what? I know I want to deal some guys like this but having trouble coming up with any scenario that would get that done.

Users who are viewing this thread