What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

At What Point Does Sports Fandom / Homerism Turn From Passionate To Completely Toxic ? (6/30) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
VIDEO: Eagles Fan Has A Complete Meltdown Feb 14, 2023

Watch as this Eagles Fan has a complete meltdown when he loses his Super Bowl bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdvE8gC_Ds

VIDEO: Eagles Fans Get In Violent Fistfight In Stands Despite Social Distancing | TMZ Sports Oct 19, 2020

Here's video of Eagles fans throwing violent haymakers at each other while breaking every COVID-19 protocol in the book during Philly's loss to Baltimore on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzczvSoh-xw

VIDEO: Eagles Fan Punches A Police Horse After Getting Thrown Out! | TMZ TV Jan 19, 2018

Not cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP6CFaw8u_8

Direct Headline: Female Eagles Fan Shown On National TV Screaming Obscenities At Referees (VIDEO)

Darrelle Lincoln December 27, 2022

Even when the Philadelphia Eagles are winning, their fan base is still upset. (While) holding a two-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter, something the refs did really pissed off a female Eagles fan in the stands. And even though the National Football League is supposed to be providing viewers with family-friendly entertainment, the cameraperson still decided to focus in on her as she screamed obscenities as the officials. Don’t read lips, kids!

https://www.totalprosports.com/nfl/...l-tv-screaming-obscenities-at-referees-video/

VIDEO: Damage Left Behind Following Eagles' Super Bowl Win Feb 5, 2018

Street lights destroyed and pulled out of ground. Storefront windows shattered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_3DyPEYO54

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oYj-S-xjbyY

Headline: Philly police release video of those Eagles fans trashing a convenience store

Brett T. February 6, 2018

As Twitchy reported, culture reporter Stephanie Farr captured video of fans looting a convenience store and having a food fight after the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl Sunday.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/201...ose-eagles-fans-trashing-a-convenience-store/

Direct Headline: ‘Everything is free!’ Watch Eagles fans trash a convenience store after Super Bowl win [video]

Brett T. February 5, 2018

Stephanie Farr is a culture reporter for a handful of Philadelphia media outlets, and early Monday morning she shared some of the “culture” she found at an area gas station.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/201...convenience-store-after-super-bowl-win-video/

Here is another topic that is designed to increase discussion and participation in the FFA.

So I'm not here to pick on Eagles fans, but there's a practical pathway to discuss this topic given the recent Super Bowl. I generally root for the Raiders and 49ers, so there's no lost love here for either the Chiefs or the Eagles. But I will say Eagles fans have a certain way, some of them and certainly not all of them, of taking fandom to a level that goes beyond basic homerism. When I bought property in Boston, well I got some first hand heavy exposure to Patriot and Red Sox fans, and sometimes you wonder if a person's blood pressure will tip over right in front of you and that person will have their head explode right then and there.

At what point does fandom for a professional sports franchise turn from passionate to outright toxic? Do you have any firsthand stories / observations of fandom going completely toxic when you've gone to a local major sporting event in your city / area ? Have you ever taken your sports fandom too far yourself? What happened? Have you known of or heard of major fractures in family or friends over their sports fandom? As the first video is about someone who allegedly went nuts over a lost bet and destroyed a TV ( To be fair, the person in question in the video is a known social media "influencer", so it's unclear how "real" that video really is, although we are talking about a fanbase that has been known to hurl batteries at opposing players and booing Santa Claus ) , have you seen a sports betting situation go very very wrong? Are there people in your life, maybe a coworker or a neighbor or anyone really, whom you just can't talk sports to because they start to get wound up to the point of concern? When does "It's Just A Game" become not enough for some people?

I'll leave this here for others to discuss. (6/30)

we are talking about a fanbase that has been known to hurl batteries at opposing players and booing Santa Claus
This is the weakest, lamest, most played out characterization in maybe all of sports. I thought you were better than this.

Direct Headline: Dozens of arrests during Oakland Raiders-SF 49ers 'Battle of the Bay' game at Levi's Stadium

ABC7News November 2, 2018

Police made dozens of arrests during Thursday night's "Battle of the Bay" at Levi's Stadium. Most were mainly for public intoxication, but one incident in particular is making the rounds on social media after video surfaced of two 49ers fans fighting during the game, despite their team's dominating performance against the Raiders. Steve Gonzalez Guardado, 31, was arrested for felony assault and booked at the Santa Clara County jail. Santa Clara police say they were able to identify and locate him before he was able to exit the stadium. Law enforcement had been monitoring social media throughout the game, saw the video, and was able to send out a picture and description for personnel to be on the lookout....

Fighting at sporting events isn't anything new, but many hope the violence doesn't escalate to levels we've seen in the past. "People can get very quickly into camps, us versus them, and I think there's more and more of that in our culture today," said Dr. Thomas Plante, a psychology professor at Santa Clara University. Overall, police made 32 arrests, mainly for public intoxication. Although it's the highest amount of arrests at Levi's since the start of 2017, police considered last night a win given the historically-heated rivalry between the 49ers and the Raiders.

"When you look at an entire stadium, I think the people that act that way, it's usually like 1 percent of the crowd," said 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan. More than 800 cameras at Levi's monitored the action, along with extra security and undercover police officers.

https://abc7news.com/49ers-fan-fight-raiders-at-levis-stadium-cheerleader/4602099/

Direct Headline: NFL Fan Violence: Where Do We Draw the Line and How Do We Stop It?

CRAIG M DEUTSCH AUGUST 24, 2011

As a San Diego Chargers fan, it's very easy to pin this most recent incident on the Raiders and point to the team's reputation as a group of thugs on the field and their fans' reputation of being thugs off the field. However, the truth of the matter is that it could have happened almost anywhere these days. As Americans, we tend to look down our noses at the soccer hooligans and violence in other countries, but when we look in the mirror, the NFL is not that far away. Chances are, anyone who has attended a professional sports event has either been subjected to or witnessed some level of verbal or physical confrontation. In a testosterone-fueled environment and with a certain amount of conflict condoned and even expected on the field of play, where do we draw the line for football fans?

....The current focus seems to be more on the side of prevention, as teams are usually quick to increase the number of security and police personnel, curb alcohol consumption and threaten a severe slap on the wrist for those caught causing trouble. .... With the current price of NFL tickets, being ejected from the game or having their season tickets revoked should make someone think twice about getting out too rowdy at a game. While I have no doubt that this approach has deterred some people from crossing the line, has it truly decreased the problem? Despite teams having ways to report problems anonymously and increasing the number of police officers, the violence continues. It seems like the best way to keep people from going down this path is to make the punishment so severe, it serves as a deterrent to those even considering it.....

... With the economy already making it difficult for fans to afford current NFL ticket prices, the thought of being unsafe while watching the game makes it even harder to sell tickets. The NFL has put a lot of effort into keeping their players safe during the offseason; the next step should be to protect their fans.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ere-do-we-draw-the-line-and-how-do-we-stop-it

Do you think this is just about the Chiefs and the Eagles?

There, I just posted two articles criticizing fan violence at NFL games regarding 49er and Raider fans. But the truth is, you can find incidents of violence stemming from any NFL franchise and their fanbase. Also in MLB and the NBA as well. And even some of the smaller professional sports.

Mix in alcohol with close proximity plus rivalries, plus the growing reality of sports betting being more normalized in our culture, and you can see how things can get out of control pretty quickly.

I actually think this is a pretty interesting topic to generally discuss. I'm not here to pick on Eagles fans nor to rub their nose in any loss or any victory. Their franchise as an example was simply a reflection of the most current high profile professional sports game available.

So let's try it once more -

At what point does fandom for a professional sports franchise turn from passionate to outright toxic? Do you have any firsthand stories / observations of fandom going completely toxic when you've gone to a local major sporting event in your city / area ? Have you ever taken your sports fandom too far yourself? What happened?

Great, more Eagles fan bashing, we almost made it a full day. :yawn:
Btw, surprised you buy this fake TV smashing stuff that's everywhere.

VIDEO: *FULL VERSION* Fight Patriots fan vs Texans fan Dec 16, 2015

Patriots fan goes ham on Texans fan at the game in Houston after she spills baked potato on his girlfriend.... then calls him out for wearing Boston Red Sox cap with Texans jersey and then gets in his face and wants to throw down. All this AFTER she dropped a baked potato on his date and then threw nachos in his face. This is where the video begins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUH-SqIo1UA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WxY5KjWffM&t=0s

In this instance, the potential agitator might have been older woman. Now imagine if it was a drunk young guy. Then the dynamic changes.

Do you see me in the Shark Pool going around pissing on the Eagles all day? I barely post in the Shark Pool. When I did post regularly in the Shark Pool years ago, it certainly wasn't Eagles-centric in discussion.

Your reaction here is indicative of part of the larger issue I'm discussing in this thread. There's your side, and everyone else is the "enemy". Any criticism, constructive or otherwise, is automatically a call to arms.

I've already addressed in the OP that the first video clip has a potential "influencer" involved and it's unclear if that section is staged. However the looting, property destruction, public intoxication, fighting, public disorder, and bizarrely punching a police horse are all real legitimate concerns. Those don't wash away because of the potential for one "social media influencer" to possibly game out a video for clicks.

The point of showing the Eagles, in part, is that these problems clearly exist IRRELEVANT to them actually winning or losing football games.

Nobody is persecuting you. Eagles fans aren't running for their lives after Order 66 here.

So let's try it yet again -

At what point does fandom for a professional sports franchise turn from passionate to outright toxic? Do you have any firsthand stories / observations of fandom going completely toxic when you've gone to a local major sporting event in your city / area ? Have you ever taken your sports fandom too far yourself? What happened?

Fan behavior at games is so much worse now than 10 years ago. I expect that trend to continue with legalized gambling, and alcohol at college sporting events.

some of the worst fan behavior has taken place between Dodger-Giants games. Nothing rivals some of the soccer riots though.

Fan behavior at games is so much worse now than 10 years ago. I expect that trend to continue with legalized gambling, and alcohol at college sporting events.
I think you definitely hit on something with gambling. Many people have a lot more riding on games now than just being a pure fan.

we are talking about a fanbase that has been known to hurl batteries at opposing players and booing Santa Claus
This is the weakest, lamest, most played out characterization in maybe all of sports. I thought you were better than this.
Nice! 55 years later we're still about one incident. Keep up the bashing! :lol:

VIDEO: The Cowboys Lose. Everyone Goes Nuts. Feb 4, 2022

Reminder: "Everyone Goes Nuts" videos are never monetized. They are produced for the love of the game. Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49er fans react to another ( Cowboys loss)

Music: "I'm Sorry" by Brenda Lee available on Apple Music and Amazon Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liNsf385mKQ

VIDEO: Cowboys Fans Duke It Out After Playoff Loss To The 49ers Jan 23, 2023

Dallas Cowboys fans attending a watch party at AT&T Stadium took their frustrations out on each other after another brutal playoff loss to the San Francisco 49ers. Rick Strom breaks it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8LyFu1EB3Q

There are clearly some Eagles fans in here who believe there is some kind of widespread persecution coming for them in this thread. That their collective noses are being rubbed in it. Whatever "it" apparently is determined to be in their own minds.

Well plenty of Eagles fans hate Cowboys fans. Here's some extremely emotional reactions by some Cowboys fans to a recent loss and then some fans, not all and not the majority, resort to pure violence.

Again, mix together 365/24/7 coverage with outrage shock marketing via non stop social media plus alcohol /long standing bad blood and rivalries / maybe sports betting and big money lost in a relative sense on the line / close contact and proximity to rival fans and what do you get? Does it matter what hat or jersey is on the fan for these elements to set off a total firestorm?

Now that some of you have gotten your "pound of flesh" here, let's try it yet again -

At What Point Does Sports Fandom / Homerism Turn From Passionate To Completely Toxic?

If you are breaking laws or interfering with another individual's pursuit of happiness, you have become toxic.

some of the worst fan behavior has taken place between Dodger-Giants games. Nothing rivals some of the soccer riots though.
i'd disagree a bit. My guess is the perceived increase is due to increase usage of internet and social media, and everyone owning a cell phone

Users who are viewing this thread