What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

At what point in dynasty do YOU blow it all up and rebuild? (1 Viewer)

InDitkaWeTrust

Footballguy
"Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme", right? Dynasty SF contender who has fallen just short of the 'ship for the past 4 years. Team is full of aging Beauty (King Henry, Kelce, etc). The idea this season was to take one more stab at it and and then full on rebuild. Well, those aging superstars are underperforming and it's not a given that this Beast will make the playoffs anymore. So, when do YOU dance with Belle, sell all valued assets and start a full rebuild? Stories of your rebuild and Disney embellishment/puns encouraged!

Are you an early riser? Get rid of assets before the next two years rookie classes get locked into a value set?

Are you a late bloomer? Wait until injuries/playoffs inevitably come and get value closer to the end of the season?

Are you just mid? Some combination of the above?

What say you, Shark Pool's magic mirror?

I personally never blow it up. Just keep grinding and try to hit in the draft and ww. In my only dynasty league I’ve won it 5 of 9 years. In the same league a guy in my division has blown it up and rebuilt 3 times over the same timeframe, even to go as far as tanking for #1 picks. The risk in rebuilding is whiffing on top picks (like the Bears). I like the challenge of staying competitive every year vs. tanking or blowing it up.

I personally never blow it up. Just keep grinding and try to hit in the draft and ww. In my only dynasty league I’ve won it 5 of 9 years. In the same league a guy in my division has blown it up and rebuilt 3 times over the same timeframe, even to go as far as tanking for #1 picks. The risk in rebuilding is whiffing on top picks (like the Bears). I like the challenge of staying competitive every year vs. tanking or blowing it up.
I agree. There is a lot of risk to a full blow-up.

I Don't rebuild, I reload. Some players are long term some are shorter term outlooks.
I acquire value and draft picks.
What's served me well is trading away Flex caliber players for 3rd rounders. I'll sell 2x 3rds for a 2nd and trade up.
I'll sell older solid players at discount before they get old (age 27ish). while there's meat on the bones.

I've been to the title game 4 of the last 4 years. Loss, Win, Win, Loss.
I'm scoring leader for the last several years.

What's been challenging is figuring out what to do with fewer roster spots. I have a sort of loaded roster so most rookie picks won't start for me. They're a luxury and it's hard to get top draft picks when you're picking 9th or 10th without snaking. So....I do trades and trade ups. Pressure for draft picks to be accurate.

League: 2qb, 3wr, 2rb, 1te, 1w/t 1/w/r 1w/r/t. Using the league settings I hoard WRs because I can start 6/week and they seem to have a longer shelf life than RBs and NFL still seems to care about them.
QBs Tua, Watson, RWilson, TLance. DorianTR.
WR: JJefferson, AJBrown, JWaddle, Olave, CGodwin, DLondon, PNacua, TDell, Rondale Moore
RB: NCHubb, JKDobbins, JTaylor, DPierce, AJBrown, TyjaeSpears, ZaEvans, EHull,
TE: TKelce, KPitts, DGoedert, DKincaid

I have all of my draft picks for 2024 plus 1-2 extra 3rds. I forget.

I traded Garret Wilson for KPitts straight up simply to have an elite caliber TE (PITTS) to replace Kelce. I'm riding Kelce into the ground. I drafted Kincaid #9 as best available to meet needs....right before Wilson/Pitts trade. Trade was before the season started so value was tied to Rodgers starting.

Puka was on my Watch list and on my WW Radar I didn't have roster spots for him. ...with most of my RBs going on IR, I decided to grab him before a Monday or Sunday night football and he became a waiver claim player. I'm glad i did. It meant dropping Skyler Thompson but I'm the only one who puts any value on that guy in our league.

I traded for TLance, when he was drafted. I was excited about the prospect of Purdy missing games to start the year. That didn't happen. Lance in DAL isn't a bad deal. His value is low but we haven't seen what he can do in my opinion. His window is definitely closing though.

On my roster: I'm looking to improve my starting QBs. I'd only do it for top 10. I'd be better off trading for a future pick and drafting one...Caleb Williams, Drake May, Penix, BoNix, I'm not seeing the future in Daniel Jones, MAc Jones, Jimmy G, Geno, any JETS qb, There's a weird changing of the guard.

There's always a degree of luck with the FF gods.
Championship game was the wrong week to score lowest point total of the year.
Oh well.
I've hedged my bets enough. I'll probably trade away a TE because they're a luxury. The JHurts owner needs a TE and Goedert might fetch me value. Plus he's in 4th place at 3-1 but 7th in scoring. He could provide a top 4 pick if I'm willing to pay for his 1st rounder.

Last season I was in more of a "win/now" mode. trying to get a 3peat. This year I've joked about tanking because I started 1-1 and I haven't been .500 team since our first year.
I picked up Tank Dell before he broke out that 2nd or 3rd week. and same for Puka. I dropped John Metchie for Dell. Someone might grab Metchie. but he's not likely to break out the same way. If Rondale Moore's value does come back it's unlikely to be more than flex. So...if I REALLY want him or similar player back. I can trade 3rd rounder for them.

My FORMULA for building a team is: Hoard QBs...Teams will always need them. Even crappy ones have solid value in our league. Build QBs.... Hoard WRs.... elite caliber level.
Get a statistical scoring advantage at TE if possible. Especially when it's a hit/miss position. Steady is more vital.

We have 11 starter positions. I want 13 elite players If Possible. I do not fill roster with crap (on purpose). I trade mediocrity or elders.
I use 3-5 bench spots for waivers/sleeper/prospects
I try extend my team's overall value via future draft picks.
I've had 6 picks in total the last 2 years. Solid picks.
I don't always draft the best. But I err on the side of research and talent. Less about situation.
If I owned DAchane right now...his value is sky high. He's a RB a potential league winner. I'd trade him. He's light. He might get hurt. He might play 5 years without missing a down. RBs rarely repeat top 3 level form year after year. Contract, injury, trades, situation. Seems like the YEar 1, Year 2 RBs in top of 1st round are the way to go lately. Sell away RBs until you build your team then comeback and acquire as needed.

To me "Blowing up" would be trading one of my starting QBs....but my team is still a contender regardless. I've got 3 of my starting RBs out right now and I'm #2 in scoring so far. It'll average out.

Hope i'm still on topic and this was helpful. Good luck gang

I thought I was gonna be that one weird dude to say I never blow it up. Good to see other looking at it the same way. Been playing since the early 90s and honestly have never decided to blow it up. Sure I get younger, but younger in layers. I'll always roster the aging Hines Ward types to fill up roster. I want to win now. Not next year. Now. Make the playoffs and get lucky.

Year two dynasty player with 2 new teams this year. Feels like a non-binary question but my hunch is that "it depends" right?

Team 1- young studs and depth. Inherited a bad team that had a few good assets that I flipped around and got lucky on a few ww picks. Draft was a WOOF last year. Traded 1.02 for Andrews this year to make the lineup lethal-- fingers crossed. Purdy/Fields-- Bijan-Breece-Javonte-Pacheco-Kyren- Warren-- ARSB, Aiyuk, Flowers, Reed, Lazard-- Andrews/ Juwan- Butker-- Saints Browns

Team 2- in a start 2 RB / 1QB league that is full PPR and start up to 4 WR, strangely the RBs are coveted. Team is roughly complete with young talent at QB, TE and STACKED at WR in terms of young upside players but a vacuum at RB. Literally starting Akers and Jaleel McGlaughlin this week. Can't seem to get anyone to budge on firsts (or running backs under 30) so at the moment, likely 1.01, 2.01, 2.03, 2.10 (ish) with a couple more thirds and 4ths. 8 picks, one of em gotta be a starting RB at some point eh? May try to pole vault using picks for older RBs and keep most of the WRs in tact for some long term stability. I put the WRs on the block but only one manager there is an active trader and has anything resembling fair player valuations. These guys. I tell ya. I could lay down 2 new pages in the bad trade offer thread. Should have gotten the clue about the league name lol.

Team 3- sort of had to be talked into adopting this MFer. Not really my style Zero PPR. Thought I'd be a contender with Geno/Kyler, Eke/Sanders, Diggs, Ridley, Hop, Sutton, Lazard, Njoku. Inherited with no picks until 2.08 or so (don't recall exactly). I did a little retooling to compete and have kept my first as a bit of insurance against the bottom falling out. Feels a bit like this team is on thin ice. Eke being out has caused a bit of a realization that besides Eke, this team is very, very un special and old. Grinding to compete but this seems like a team that would be better off being blown up. Looking 2 years out- what are the chips? I'll have 3 firsts to use but will need 5+ starters to compete in 2 years. Feels a bit like the team is so old that it would be difficult to keep it going without some uncommon luck with picks. Seems like a poster child for the thread. Hop's worth what, a late 2? No TD upside. Lucky to be 2-2. Kyler and Eke at full strength would change the math IMO but until those dudes start blowing up the scoreboard, it's going to be a slog. Diggs and Ridley might have enough time left but rebuilding might put me in a position where I have a young competitive team to manage in 2-3 years where the cliff isn't so close.

I Don't rebuild, I reload. Some players are long term some are shorter term outlooks.
I acquire value and draft picks.
What's served me well is trading away Flex caliber players for 3rd rounders. I'll sell 2x 3rds for a 2nd and trade up.
I'll sell older solid players at discount before they get old (age 27ish). while there's meat on the bones.

I've been to the title game 4 of the last 4 years. Loss, Win, Win, Loss.
I'm scoring leader for the last several years.

What's been challenging is figuring out what to do with fewer roster spots. I have a sort of loaded roster so most rookie picks won't start for me. They're a luxury and it's hard to get top draft picks when you're picking 9th or 10th without snaking. So....I do trades and trade ups. Pressure for draft picks to be accurate.

League: 2qb, 3wr, 2rb, 1te, 1w/t 1/w/r 1w/r/t. Using the league settings I hoard WRs because I can start 6/week and they seem to have a longer shelf life than RBs and NFL still seems to care about them.
QBs Tua, Watson, RWilson, TLance. DorianTR.
WR: JJefferson, AJBrown, JWaddle, Olave, CGodwin, DLondon, PNacua, TDell, Rondale Moore
RB: NCHubb, JKDobbins, JTaylor, DPierce, AJBrown, TyjaeSpears, ZaEvans, EHull,
TE: TKelce, KPitts, DGoedert, DKincaid

I have all of my draft picks for 2024 plus 1-2 extra 3rds. I forget.

I traded Garret Wilson for KPitts straight up simply to have an elite caliber TE (PITTS) to replace Kelce. I'm riding Kelce into the ground. I drafted Kincaid #9 as best available to meet needs....right before Wilson/Pitts trade. Trade was before the season started so value was tied to Rodgers starting.

Puka was on my Watch list and on my WW Radar I didn't have roster spots for him. ...with most of my RBs going on IR, I decided to grab him before a Monday or Sunday night football and he became a waiver claim player. I'm glad i did. It meant dropping Skyler Thompson but I'm the only one who puts any value on that guy in our league.

I traded for TLance, when he was drafted. I was excited about the prospect of Purdy missing games to start the year. That didn't happen. Lance in DAL isn't a bad deal. His value is low but we haven't seen what he can do in my opinion. His window is definitely closing though.

On my roster: I'm looking to improve my starting QBs. I'd only do it for top 10. I'd be better off trading for a future pick and drafting one...Caleb Williams, Drake May, Penix, BoNix, I'm not seeing the future in Daniel Jones, MAc Jones, Jimmy G, Geno, any JETS qb, There's a weird changing of the guard.

There's always a degree of luck with the FF gods.
Championship game was the wrong week to score lowest point total of the year.
Oh well.
I've hedged my bets enough. I'll probably trade away a TE because they're a luxury. The JHurts owner needs a TE and Goedert might fetch me value. Plus he's in 4th place at 3-1 but 7th in scoring. He could provide a top 4 pick if I'm willing to pay for his 1st rounder.

Last season I was in more of a "win/now" mode. trying to get a 3peat. This year I've joked about tanking because I started 1-1 and I haven't been .500 team since our first year.
I picked up Tank Dell before he broke out that 2nd or 3rd week. and same for Puka. I dropped John Metchie for Dell. Someone might grab Metchie. but he's not likely to break out the same way. If Rondale Moore's value does come back it's unlikely to be more than flex. So...if I REALLY want him or similar player back. I can trade 3rd rounder for them.

My FORMULA for building a team is: Hoard QBs...Teams will always need them. Even crappy ones have solid value in our league. Build QBs.... Hoard WRs.... elite caliber level.
Get a statistical scoring advantage at TE if possible. Especially when it's a hit/miss position. Steady is more vital.

We have 11 starter positions. I want 13 elite players If Possible. I do not fill roster with crap (on purpose). I trade mediocrity or elders.
I use 3-5 bench spots for waivers/sleeper/prospects
I try extend my team's overall value via future draft picks.
I've had 6 picks in total the last 2 years. Solid picks.
I don't always draft the best. But I err on the side of research and talent. Less about situation.
If I owned DAchane right now...his value is sky high. He's a RB a potential league winner. I'd trade him. He's light. He might get hurt. He might play 5 years without missing a down. RBs rarely repeat top 3 level form year after year. Contract, injury, trades, situation. Seems like the YEar 1, Year 2 RBs in top of 1st round are the way to go lately. Sell away RBs until you build your team then comeback and acquire as needed.

To me "Blowing up" would be trading one of my starting QBs....but my team is still a contender regardless. I've got 3 of my starting RBs out right now and I'm #2 in scoring so far. It'll average out.

Hope i'm still on topic and this was helpful. Good luck gang
In this long post...i stated on 10/4 I'd trade DAchane before he gets hurt. I am sorry to have jinxed Achane owners.
Fwiw everyone talking about MIA RBs to grab... JWJr, SAhmed Mostert... Bringing back Gaskin?! I grabbed CBrooks, with a patient outlook. Podcasts aren't talking about it. He can bang. Battering Ram. Others are about speed. UDFA beat out gaskin already. Leave him be.

As a side note to rebuild, layer youth.
I looked at the crappy teams in my 10 team league. The low point scorers are lacking in WR.

Team 1. CLamb, mingo, osborn, berrios, T Boyd, Tburks, Jam Williams, juju, DDuvernay, CTillman, richieJames ... he Just dropped R Bateman

Team 2. JSN, KBoune,Thielen,MEvans,CSutton,JReynolds ,CSamuel. (I think he is into elder P*rn) perhaps. He might be a good candidate to request 2025 1st. Then flip that draft pick for 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread