What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auction Contract Leagues (1 Viewer)

Snot Bubbler

Footballguy
I'm hoping to convince the other owners in my two leagues to consider shifting from an auction redraft to an auction contract league.

I was thinking about making players under a one year contract UFAs after the season and making players under multi-year contracts RFAs after their contract expires. Then during the next years preseason draft we bid on the RFAs first. After the bidding is complete on each RFA the previous years owner has the option of matching the bid and keeping the player. After all RFAs have been signed, we auction off the UFAs (veterans and rookies at the same time).

I was also thinking that each team would have to assign contract lengths to newly acquired players before the first NFL game of the year. We would limit the amount and length of contracts given each year.

We would also have a couple of contract extensions that could be given the players on your current roster, but they must be given those extensions in-season.

I have lots of other ideas and questions. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/preferences about contract leagues?

I commish a contract league that has been going for 4 seasons now. I would highly reccomend going to this format if you can get the other teams in your league to go for it. We incorpate Transition tags which is like what you are thinking of doing as RFA. We only give each team one transition tag to use each season.

This sounds alot like the HAFA League format I am involved in....

Each Team is entitled to 1 Franchise Player on Off & 1 of Def (Franchise player counts 0 vs Cap)

Each Team is entitled to 2 RFA players on Off & 2 on Def (each RFA is subject to a minimum value - we use $1.0 M on $30.0 M cap)

RFA Auction is separate from Free Agent Auction.

Rookie Draft is separate too, and Cap value is tied to where the Rookie is selected. 1.01 = $2.0M, 1.02 = $1.95M.... We use 6 rounds of Rookie drafts.

here is a link to a league I am involved in (Carolina Rockets) HAFA League

The Franchise/RFA Rules are outlined in there.

It is a very exciting auction format!

Second that

Birdie, It's been too long!

I'm sure you've heard that the original HAFA has been deep sixed...

I commish a contract league that has been going for 4 seasons now. I would highly reccomend going to this format if you can get the other teams in your league to go for it. We incorpate Transition tags which is like what you are thinking of doing as RFA. We only give each team one transition tag to use each season.
Do you have a link to your league rules?

This sounds alot like the HAFA League format I am involved in....

Each Team is entitled to 1 Franchise Player on Off & 1 of Def (Franchise player counts 0 vs Cap)

Each Team is entitled to 2 RFA players on Off & 2 on Def (each RFA is subject to a minimum value - we use $1.0 M on $30.0 M cap)

RFA Auction is separate from Free Agent Auction.

Rookie Draft is separate too, and Cap value is tied to where the Rookie is selected. 1.01 = $2.0M, 1.02 = $1.95M.... We use 6 rounds of Rookie drafts.

here is a link to a league I am involved in (Carolina Rockets) HAFA League

The Franchise/RFA Rules are outlined in there.

It is a very exciting auction format!
That's a sick league! I don't think all of my leaguemates would want something that complicated/involved. Can you think of any "must have" rules for a contract league? What about some rules that are unnessesary/burdensome?

I don't have a link to them, but I would be more than happy to send a copy of our league rules via email.

I don't have a link to them, but I would be more than happy to send a copy of our league rules via email.
Please do.kyle3pod@yahoo.com

Why do most contract leagues have a draft with preassigned values (based on how high each player is drafted) versus auctioning them off like veteran free agents? Is it just because it resembles the NFL more closely?

Why do most contract leagues have a draft with preassigned values (based on how high each player is drafted) versus auctioning them off like veteran free agents? Is it just because it resembles the NFL more closely?
Inertia. Auctions are a lot more fun.

Why do most contract leagues have a draft with preassigned values (based on how high each player is drafted) versus auctioning them off like veteran free agents?  Is it just because it resembles the NFL more closely?
Inertia. Auctions are a lot more fun.
I agree that auctions are a lot more fun. That's why I'm asking why rookies are only drafted.

Competitive balance from year to year.

Competitive balance from year to year.
Agreed. We have several levels of owner interest, but everybody knows the top rookies coming out which is why we only have 2 rounds (24 total rookie picks for team rosters of 25 players). The rest of the rookies become FA and then can be bid on.

I'm entering my 3rd year in an auction contract league and all other forms of FF are dull now. It's nice having something to worry about in the offseason other than "who can I draft from the 5 spot?"

Users who are viewing this thread