What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

B. Leftwich out 4-6 weeks, according to ESPN (1 Viewer)

He's out for the year.  Sorry, no link yet, it was on radio.  Damn!
Someone find a Link so I can pick up Garrard
Go get him Mac.
Why U .... did you hear it on the radio as well ??
I haven't heard anything definitive yet, no. I just don't want to see you lose him to someone else who is undoubtedly already hearing/reading what we are here. It definitely does not look good. Better safe than sorry.

Just announced on 930 the Fox in Jax (broke in on Jim Rome's show)...Lefty has ligament damage and is in Alabama being seen by Dr. James Andrews (the guy EVERYONE sees when they've got this kinda stuff).
Stevey McNair grab a helmet ... you're about to regain your starting spot on my FF team :cry:
You're in the same boat I am.. McNair is off next week tooGAAAH!!!

Just announced on 930 the Fox in Jax (broke in on Jim Rome's show)...Lefty has ligament damage and is in Alabama being seen by Dr. James Andrews (the guy EVERYONE sees when they've got this kinda stuff).
Stevey McNair grab a helmet ... you're about to regain your starting spot on my FF team :cry:
I've already placed my call to Mister Brooks to get himself loosened up. Added Garrard this AM. To say I am disappointed is putting it lightly.
you've been starting Leftwich over Brooks?
Most definitely I have. Aaron Brooks is one of the most inconsistent QBs in the NFL. How many times have you seen Aaron Brooks throw a game blowing pick and walk off the field smiling? You'll NEVER see Byron Leftwich smile about anything but a win (or maybe a nice TD). The guy's a winner. Aaron Brooks while as talented as any but a handful of NFL QBs, is anything but a winner.Yes, I know we only care about the fantasy bottom line. The bottom line in my league:

Leftwich 168 points YTD

Brooks 146 points YTD

Sorry, no brainer in my book.

I've already placed my call to Mister Brooks to get himself loosened up. Added Garrard this AM. To say I am disappointed is putting it lightly.
Most definitely I have. Aaron Brooks is one of the most inconsistent QBs in the NFL. How many times have you seen Aaron Brooks throw a game blowing pick and walk off the field smiling? You'll NEVER see Byron Leftwich smile about anything but a win (or maybe a nice TD). The guy's a winner. Aaron Brooks while as talented as any but a handful of NFL QBs, is anything but a winner.Yes, I know we only care about the fantasy bottom line. The bottom line in my league:

Leftwich 168 points YTD

Brooks 146 points YTD

guess it depends on the scoring system( I don't get deducted for smiles), I've gotBrooks - 19.14 ppg

Leftwich - 17.80 ppg

and Brooks is more proven fantasy wise.

Leftwich 168 points YTD

Brooks 146 points YTD

guess it depends on the scoring system( I don't get deducted for smiles), I've gotBrooks - 19.14 ppg

Leftwich - 17.80 ppg

and Brooks is more proven fantasy wise.
Let's let this one rest joffer as we're getting off topic. This should stay a Leftwich news thread. Neither of us is really wrong here anyhew. I see where you're coming from and I hope you see my angle. At this point, I hope AB does great the rest of the season - I'm gonna need him.

Not to hijack, but let's assume the worst for the moment.For those of us who have Lefwich, is Garrard a good pickup? I know nothing about him and would be curious to hear from those in-the-know.Thanks.Edited to add:No, I am not one of these hysterics types who jumps to conclusions, but we have waiver claims tonight, and I would like to put in a claim if it is worthwhile.Thanks.
Yes, Garrard is a very good pickupBut the bigger result of all this is: Get Freddie T now! No more Lefty means no more ridiculous use of the shotgun. Which means Fred T gets a fullback and gets to run the ball out of the I.
That would be so good! :thumbup: And if I can get Garrard it will be doubly good.

Specifically, PCL damage to his left knee. Not determined yet whether or not it is a partial or complete tear. Not determined yet whether or not surgery is needed.
PCL ??? Never heared of that oneHow bad is it ??? Is it like damaging the ACL and/or MCL ??
PCL is the Posterior Cruciate LigamentPCLI actually detatched mine in little league, didnt play rest of year, but i was a kid, not a pro.......i didnt get surgery and to this day it is just floating around in there, only bothers me with i have to walk alot or on very cold daysedit to add: when i was more active when i was younger (after the injury) my knee would buckle alot while trying to cut.... like in basketball......which was kind of painful and would require me to take it easy for a couple days
Me too, but I also got my ACL. Hurt like crazy. My leg (knee area) was swollen twice the normal size. The middle back of my leg was black and blue. Took a long time to heal. Still get a little fluid buildup from time to time.

Mort on ESPN radio just said it's a torn lateral collateral (?) ligament.  Four to five weeks to recover.  Sorry no link.
I thought he said 4-6 weeks
He did.He also said the Jags probably wouldn't say that.
Sorry to split hairs, but "weeks" or "games"? If it's weeks, he may still have some value for the fantasy playoffs.

The next question is, is he going on IR, or could he return after 4-6 weeks? Playoffs are weeks 15-17 for me and he still has a great schedule...provided they don't crash and burn while Leftwich is out, they could still have a shot at a wildcard spot and bring him back after the injury.

Couldn't they have waited until tomorrow to make this announcement?! :hot: Waivers are locked until tonight! Don't they realize my season could hinge on this news? :P Oh, and props go out to profootballtalk, huh? Looks like they were onto something after all.

The big question is where does Garrard fit in the QB picture? Is he top 10? top 15?Personnally having drank the McNair kool-aid I have been left with Harrington and Rattay, not sure where Garrad fits in with the QB's in the league. My first guess would be top 15, and with Jax's nice schedule he could be a nice pickup, any other thoughts?

And do you try to trade off all your JAX skill players like Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor, or will they be OK with Gerrard

just dropped Volek for Garrard.....with Garcia and Palmer i've been wringing my hands week after week, although Volek did a passable job last week for me, i don't see him playing much more. Garrard may be a go-to guy for me from here on out. :thumbup:

And do you try to trade off all your JAX skill players like Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor, or will they be OK with Gerrard
Well Gerrard was in for 2 plays before Byron came back in. His 2 plays:1-10-JAC46 (1:16) (Shotgun) D.Garrard pass to J.Smith to HST 46 for 8 yards. (No yards after catch.)2-2-HOU46 :-)53) (Shotgun) D.Garrard pass to J.Smith pushed ob at HST 26 for 20 yards. (No yards after catch.)Jimmy will be fine. Gerrard knows where the bread and butter is.

Leftwich 168 points YTD

Brooks 146 points YTD

Brooks had his bye already too. :bag:

You gotta be kidding me.I traded Driver for Leftwich last Wednesday. :censored:
Managed to trade for S.Davis and used an injury move to pick him up...Promptly started him over Plummer so he could end his run of hot games AND get injured.... :wall:

You gotta be kidding me.

I traded Driver for Leftwich last Wednesday.

:censored:
Managed to trade for S.Davis and used an injury move to pick him up...Promptly started him over Plummer so he could end his run of hot games AND get injured.... :wall:
Whew!. I though it was me who caused the injury by benching Trent Green for Lefty.Either way, its a lose/lose situation for me. I lost the game, and have nothing to show for Driver.

I officially have the worst luck EVEH this year.

The bright side is Im last in the WW order, so I probably wont get Gerrard, which means I will have to start Green the rest of the way, eliminating the "which QB should I start this week" dilemma.

Of course, whoever gets Gerrard will probably get 20pts per week out of him, and will undoubedly start him against me and will win while Green has another DOWN week.

Oops, I shoulda posted this in the venting thread. :P

He'll be back December 5th against Pittsburgh.No reason for that statement other than every friggin important player that gets hurt makes a triumphant return for the Pittsburgh game. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
No reason for that statement other than every friggin important player that gets hurt makes a triumphant return for the Pittsburgh game. :D
You're never going to convince us Dillon and (Ex-)Branch owners of that one.

Looks like Garrard is a mandatory pickup for Leftwich owners, but this puts a lot of us in a bind who don't have a lot of roster room to carry 3 QBs.

For what it's worth, I heard some promising news on Sirius NFL Radio this evening.Supposedly, Leftwich's diagnosis is the same thing Favre had last year during GB's bye. Favre was back on the field following the bye week and managed to recover. If Leftwich is a fast healer like Favre, he may not miss any time afterall. They said the actual recovery time is more like 2-6 weeks.It sounds like the best bet is to put in an order for Garrard anyway if you don't have a suitable backup, and see what happens as the week 10 game with Detroit approaches.

*semi-encouraging news* from my fanball blogger:-------------THE NEWSDespite earlier reports that feared Bryon Leftwich might miss several games, if not the entire season, the Jaguars starting quarterback may not miss any time. Dr. James Andrews diagnosed Leftwich with a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his left knee, according to the Associated Press, and said that he will not need surgery, only rest. ``We'll re-evaluate Monday and have a better sense of when Byron will be able to join us," head coach Jack Del Rio said on Tuesday. "We have not ruled out the Detroit Lions here at home.' OUR VIEWFantasy owners with Leftwich on their roster were bracing for the worst, but can breathe easier with this diagnosis. Be sure to have a backup plan for Leftwich going forward, in case the knee does not progress as quickly as the team expects. But, with surgery apparently not needed, owners can tentatively plan on having Leftwich available for the stretch run. ----------*crossing my fingers* -Todd

*semi-encouraging news* from my fanball blogger:-------------THE NEWSDespite earlier reports that feared Bryon Leftwich might miss several games, if not the entire season, the Jaguars starting quarterback may not miss any time. Dr. James Andrews diagnosed Leftwich with a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his left knee, according to the Associated Press, and said that he will not need surgery, only rest. ``We'll re-evaluate Monday and have a better sense of when Byron will be able to join us," head coach Jack Del Rio said on Tuesday. "We have not ruled out the Detroit Lions here at home.' OUR VIEWFantasy owners with Leftwich on their roster were bracing for the worst, but can breathe easier with this diagnosis. Be sure to have a backup plan for Leftwich going forward, in case the knee does not progress as quickly as the team expects. But, with surgery apparently not needed, owners can tentatively plan on having Leftwich available for the stretch run. ----------*crossing my fingers* -Todd
So I dropped Lefty to pickup Garrard (to add to my stable of mediocre QB's of Rattay, McNair and Testaverde). What's the latest, I thought JB said Lefty was out out 4-6 weeks in the email update??

Conflicting QB reports Leftwich out 4-6 weeks, or just 1? By BART HUBBUCH, The Times-Union A day of conflicting and sometimes confusing reports about the severity of Byron Leftwich's injured left knee ended Tuesday with the Jaguars saying their starting quarterback likely would be sidelined four-to-six weeks. Or perhaps none at all. While coach Jack Del Rio took the optimistic approach by refusing to rule Leftwich out for the Jaguars' next game, several team officials said the four-to-six week timetable is more realistic after Leftwich was diagnosed with a sprained lateral collateral ligament. Del Rio said rest has been prescribed for Leftwich, and that "there does not appear to be any need for surgery at this point."The Jaguars, who are atop the AFC South at 5-3, have a bye this week. If Leftwich is unable to play, backup David Garrard would start when the Jaguars return at home against the Detroit Lions on Sunday, Nov.14. "He has a sprain there," Del Rio said on his weekly radio show. "It's going to be sore, and he's not going to be practicing this week. The doctor said we'll check him again on Monday. We expect to get a real good handle on it then."Leftwich was hurt just before halftime in last Sunday's 20-6 loss to Houston on a high-low tackle by Texans linebacker Kailee Wong and defensive lineman Gary Walker, a former Jaguar. Leftwich was told of the damage after an examination Tuesday morning by noted sports orthopedist James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. Leftwich's agent, Tom Condon, dispatched him to see Andrews for a second opinion after the team had Leftwich undergo an MRI exam in Jacksonville on Monday night. Leftwich was replaced by Garrard for just two plays against the Texans before putting himself back in -- without input or approval from the coaching staff, according to Del Rio -- and finishing the game. Leftwich, who was unavailable for comment Tuesday, said immediately after the game that he would be fine but experienced pain the next day. Garrard said he grew concerned about Leftwich's injury when he saw Leftwich walking around the Jaguars' Alltel Stadium facility with a large brace on his knee. "I definitely feel bad for my teammate and my friend," Garrard said. "I know he'd love to be out there. I can only imagine what he might be going through. I'll just try to hold down the fort while he's gone."Del Rio, who spoke with Leftwich on Tuesday, said Garrard and other Jaguars players should hold off with their sympathy. "Byron is in good spirits," Del Rio said. "He told me, 'Coach, give me this week, and I'll be back next week. Don't worry about it.' That's the way he's going to approach it. We'll see how he responds. He's a young guy, and his body is going to heal quickly." The injury comes at an inopportune time for Leftwich, who has emerged as one of the NFL's most promising young quarterbacks in his first full season as a starter. Four of the Jaguars' five victories have resulted from Leftwich-led scoring drives in the final minute of play, and he leads the AFC with 177 completions. Leftwich has connected on 64.8 percent of his passes for 1,891 yards and nine touchdowns with seven interceptions. Del Rio is leaving the door open for Leftwich to return against the Lions because Leftwich has a history of playing through injuries worse than he one he suffered against the Texans. Leftwich played through two fractures of his lower left leg -- the same leg he injured in Houston -- during his final two years at Marshall. One of those fractures, suffered during a game at Akron as a senior in 2002, led to Leftwich's most famous moment. Leftwich went to the hospital, came back and hobbled through the second half as his offensive linemen carried him downfield after passes. "He has played through a lot worse than this," Del Rio said.

So I dropped Lefty to pickup Garrard (to add to my stable of mediocre QB's of Rattay, McNair and Testaverde). What's the latest, I thought JB said Lefty was out out 4-6 weeks in the email update??
Ouch, someone is going to pick up Leftwich and I think he'll only miss a game or two.

Personally, I think Del Rio is trying to downplay the injury to save himself. Already, people are wondering, "Why was Leftwich allowed to put himself back in the game?"This is just my own guess, but I would think he would miss a minimum of 3 weeks (2 games) if not more.

For what it's worth, I heard some promising news on Sirius NFL Radio this evening.Supposedly, Leftwich's diagnosis is the same thing Favre had last year during GB's bye. Favre was back on the field following the bye week and managed to recover. If Leftwich is a fast healer like Favre, he may not miss any time afterall. They said the actual recovery time is more like 2-6 weeks.It sounds like the best bet is to put in an order for Garrard anyway if you don't have a suitable backup, and see what happens as the week 10 game with Detroit approaches.
Carr is my starter and I can't justify getting the backup of my backup when I have other needs. I'll just have to sweat it out and hope nothing happens to Carr before Leftwich is back.With his injury being a LCL sprain, I don't see this as that serious. This is also an immobile QB who doesn't need to run much, if at all. He's a tough guy and as long as they are sure he won't cause any more damage by playing with it he'll play. If he missed more than 2 games I'll be surprised since that would give him a month to rest the knee and let it heal.It's also likely that they would rest him against the Lions and Titans since they are winnable games at home then bring him back week 12 at the Vikings, which is a big game for both teams.

What a switch this is. I mean, how do they go from 4-6, and possibly out for the season, to possibly not missing any time?? :rant:

Jaguars | Leftwich On Crutches, Will Be Re-Examined - from www.KFFL.comWed, 3 Nov 2004 16:53:20 -0800Updating an earlier report, Jacksonville Jaguars QB Byron Leftwich (knee) will be re-examined Monday, Nov. 9. Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said, "It could be in the end on Monday that he does indeed require surgery." Leftwich was on crutches on the locker room and said, "It can be real good. It can be real bad. We'll all know Monday

I do not think he plays ant time soon. I know he is a warrior but forget about it. Why would Lefty or DelRio want to risk a more severe injury?

A little more from jacksonville.com

But even Del Rio's latest report was contradicted Wednesday by Leftwich, who was walking on crutches in the locker room with his left leg in a brace. Leftwich indicated there might be damage to more than one ligament."Believe me, it's two different injuries,'' he said.After he ruled out other possibilities, Leftwich was asked if it was a medial collateral ligament."You know I'm smarter than that,'' he laughed as he declined to confirm it. "I was born at night, but not last night.''
Gotta like his sense of humor here.Then there's this blurb from profootballtalk (the guys who first floated the rumour):
Apparently, there are two separate injuries to Leftwich's knee, and it apparently might be more than a mere strain. If there's a tear that won't heal with mere rest, the only option would be surgery.

If there are 2 separate injuries, you have to wonder if JDR screwed up royally by letting Leftwich back into the game, especially right before the bye.

If there are 2 separate injuries, you have to wonder if JDR screwed up royally by letting Leftwich back into the game, especially right before the bye.
That would support your earlier assumption that Del Rio was trying to hide the injury.

How many of you have/will drop Leftwich this week? Or are you going to roll the dice, keep him and hope they are overplaying the injury?

How many of you have/will drop Leftwich this week? Or are you going to roll the dice, keep him and hope they are overplaying the injury?
I just picked him up because I had an "injury" spot open, but I'm not real optimistic.

I dumped him. I was able to pick up Aaron Brooks in a trade and Garcia off the waiver wire. Hopefully, They will be okay. I did this last week, so if good news comes out on Lefty today, I may try to pick him back up after that great showing by Brooks yesterday.

:) The Jag's should be alright with David Gerrard at the helm. He is really very similiar to Leftwich in size and ability. He was a gutsy and productive Qb at ecu and many nfl scouts raved about his Nfl potential. He has looked good in the preseason and actually outplayed Byron this exhibition. He knows the playbook well, so this may not be the end of the world after all Jags fans.

Users who are viewing this thread