What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

B. Leftwich out 4-6 weeks, according to ESPN (1 Viewer)

Jacksonville gave up on David Garrard much too early by drafting Byron Leftwich, much like San Diego gave up on Drew Brees and drafted Phillip Rivers. David Garrard is a solid player and plays a lot in the Donovan McNabb mode, good mobility, strong arm. If it weren't for Byron Leftwich's high draft status, it's very possible David Garrard would have beat Leftwich out for the starting job last year and possibly even this year.

From Fla Time-Union

Leftwich was unavailable for comment Monday as the Jaguars (5-3) began their bye week, but he said after Sunday's loss that the injury wasn't severe enough to keep him out very long."I was scared in the beginning, but it was something I got over quickly,'' Leftwich said. "I'll be healthy by the next game [Nov. 14 against Detroit].''

From Fla Time-Union

Leftwich was unavailable for comment Monday as the Jaguars (5-3) began their bye week, but he said after Sunday's loss that the injury wasn't severe enough to keep him out very long."I was scared in the beginning, but it was something I got over quickly,'' Leftwich said. "I'll be healthy by the next game [Nov. 14 against Detroit].''
That comment means nothing - he could have a tear or something even worse.How good is David Garrard - can he step in and put up Lefty numbers ??? Or do I have to go back to relying on Steve McNair ??

I do not believe he will be out at all he seemed fine and has a good attitude about it. I will be starting him after the Bye no worries.

I do not believe he will be out at all he seemed fine and has a good attitude about it. I will be starting him after the Bye no worries.
I admire your optimism, but it wouldn't be the first time a player finishes a game, walks around ok, and is done for the year. That is not uncommon for torn ligaments.

Garrard could actually be a better fit for the offense with his mobility. Leftwich is as mobile as a column and with the swisscheese line the Jags currently have, it's an issue. With Garrard, they could put in some rollout passes to buy the QB time to make a play.

From Fla Time-Union

That comment means nothing - he could have a tear or something even worse.How good is David Garrard - can he step in and put up Lefty numbers ??? Or do I have to go back to relying on Steve McNair ??
It might have been last year, but I think Garrard came in for 1-2 games and did a lot more running than passing. From what I recall, he didn't look like someone who could be plugged in and take over where the starter left off- the line is used to a guy who sits in the pocket and passes from the shotgun all day. A scrambling QB would require some major adjustments from the line (unless he's calmed down a bit since then).

I admire your optimism, but it wouldn't be the first time a player finishes a game, walks around ok, and is done for the year. That is not uncommon for torn ligaments.
I agree with it being possible a ligament or other damage was done. I just don't think that's the case. Like I said he seemed fine and had a good atitude about it. This is a good sign to me.

From Fla Time-Union

Wow! Sounds like you want Leftwich out for the season...

He came into one of our restaurants yesterday afternoon after what must have been a visit to the hospital for more treatment on that staph infection.. He had an IV needle hanging out of his arm but was hungry enough to come in and get a couple of milkshakes and a large fry. HUGE guy
Huh, he actually came into your "resaurant?" Seems like if he was really in a hurry he would have just used the drive-through.

Byron is in Alabama.This doesn't sound good.Link
Good catch. Here's the text of that link for those too lazy to click through.
Leftwich might miss season with knee injury Quarterback in Alabama to have leg examined By BART HUBBUCH, The Times-Union Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich might miss the rest of the season after injuring his left knee in last Sunday's 20-6 loss to the Houston Texans. Leftwich is in Birmingham, Ala., today to have his injured leg examined by sports orthopedist James Andrews, and the Jaguars said they expect to update Leftwich's condition today or Wednesday.If Leftwich is unable to finish the season, backup David Garrard would take over. The Jaguars (5-3) have a bye this week before returning to play host to the Detroit Lions on Sunday, Nov. 14.Leftwich was dispatched to see Andrews by his agent, Tom Condon, after developing pain late Monday afternoon.Leftwich was hurt just before halftime on a high-low tackle by Texans linebacker Kailee Wong and defensive lineman Gary Walker, a former Jaguar. Leftwich missed two plays before putting himself back in the game -- without input from the coaching staff, according to coach Jack Del Rio -- and finished the contest.Leftwich said immediately after the game that he would be fine, but experienced problems the next day.Leftwich has a history of leg injuries dating to his college career at Marshall.
The Jaguars web page sounds like a pretty good source to me.

Not to hijack, but let's assume the worst for the moment.For those of us who have Lefwich, is Garrard a good pickup? I know nothing about him and would be curious to hear from those in-the-know.Thanks.Edited to add:No, I am not one of these hysterics types who jumps to conclusions, but we have waiver claims tonight, and I would like to put in a claim if it is worthwhile.Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garrard looked better this preseason than Leftwich. He does more scrambling. He is more athletic. IMO, he didn't look like he had a firm grasp of the offense though. It didn't look like he would look to second or third receivers. It looked like he would look at one guy, start to scramble and then try to make the big play on the run.

Edit to add: Here's a link to Del Rio downplaying a QB controversy at the end of preseason:

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/..._16556380.shtml

Something I learned in a physical therapy class long ago and sports injuries I've seen (you have too) comes to mind. One of the clues of a severe injury is the person trying to "get away" from the damaged part. After Byron's knee got twisted and he cleared the pile, he was in the sitting position and he scooted backwards a few feet, away from the injured knee. IMO, not a good sign.
I've never though about this, but it makes sense. In my one serious leg injury, I remember falling to the ground and then rolling back and moving backwards a lot...just was a natural reaction.
Never thought about this but it is true. I tore ligaments in my ankle twice and both times just kept moving back while my leg was in front of me.I have seen other people do it too. Man that is some cool stuff, never knew it was normal though.

Not to hijack, but let's assume the worst for the moment.For those of us who have Lefwich, is Gerrard a good pickup?  I know nothing about him and would be curious to hear from those in-the-know.Thanks.Edited to add:No, I am not one of these hysterics types who jumps to conclusions, but we have waiver claims tonight, and I would like to put in a claim if it is worthwhile.Thanks.
From watching him play for ECU, he has a very strong arm and a beautiful deep throw. He also is very mobile, and can run like a running back. He shattered all the previous school records once held by Jeff Blake and Marcus Crandell. He hasn't played much on a NFL level while being a backup, but in college he was outstanding.

The Jaguars web page sounds like a pretty good source to me.
The official team site is jaguars.com not jacksonville.com.
Ultimate Jaguars is an online publication of Florida Times-Union and is neither affiliated with nor endorsed by the Jacksonville Jaguars or the NFL.
Still sounds like a good source though. :yes:

Just announced on 930 the Fox in Jax (broke in on Jim Rome's show)...Lefty has ligament damage and is in Alabama being seen by Dr. James Andrews (the guy EVERYONE sees when they've got this kinda stuff).

Just announced on 930 the Fox in Jax (broke in on Jim Rome's show)...Lefty has ligament damage and is in Alabama being seen by Dr. James Andrews (the guy EVERYONE sees when they've got this kinda stuff).
Stevey McNair grab a helmet ... you're about to regain your starting spot on my FF team :cry:

Specifically, PCL damage to his left knee. Not determined yet whether or not it is a partial or complete tear. Not determined yet whether or not surgery is needed.

Stevey McNair grab a helmet ... you're about to regain your starting spot on my FF team :cry:
I've already placed my call to Mister Brooks to get himself loosened up. Added Garrard this AM. To say I am disappointed is putting it lightly.

Specifically, PCL damage to his left knee. Not determined yet whether or not it is a partial or complete tear. Not determined yet whether or not surgery is needed.
Not ACL. :unsure: So this is good news, right?

PCL ??? Never heared of that oneHow bad is it ??? Is it like damaging the ACL and/or MCL ??

from cbs sportsline:Byron Leftwich, QB JACNews: According to the Florida Times-Union, Byron Leftwich could miss the rest of the season with an injured posterior-cruciate ligament in his left knee. He is in Birmingham, Ala., to have the leg examined by sports orthopedist James Andrews, so a report should be released soon. Analysis: Should Leftwich be out of action for the final eight games, David Garrard will be the new starter.

I guess Jimmy Smith's value is down the shooter eh ??Can Garrard focus in on Smith and keep him at top 10 status.Smith and Lefty we're actually clicking right before this .....DAMN!!!

Specifically, PCL damage to his left knee.  Not determined yet whether or not it is a partial or complete tear.  Not determined yet whether or not surgery is needed.
PCL ??? Never heared of that oneHow bad is it ??? Is it like damaging the ACL and/or MCL ??
PCL is the Posterior Cruciate LigamentPCLI actually detatched mine in little league, didnt play rest of year, but i was a kid, not a pro.......i didnt get surgery and to this day it is just floating around in there, only bothers me with i have to walk alot or on very cold daysedit to add: when i was more active when i was younger (after the injury) my knee would buckle alot while trying to cut.... like in basketball......which was kind of painful and would require me to take it easy for a couple days

PCL = not good. PCLMore PCL

OK, take with this a grain of salt, BUT,I forwarded the profootballtalk story to a bunch of coworkers.  One apparently knows somebody who knows somebody that works at Alltel Stadium that said that Leftwich went in for an MRI last last night and the results aren't back yet.I'm not saying this is gospel truth but look out for more info today and tomorrow.
Did that same person also say that Ferris Bueller is really sick?
I should've known better than to actually share some info.The only reason I bothered to post it all was because the email that the coworker forwarded back to me came from xxxxx@nfl.jaguars.com.
Dude, my bad, I was just breakin' your ballz. The way you worded that just reminded me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Bad joke, my apologies. :thumbup:
Both parties here need to show some sack. JaxBill - StingDiddy was joking.SD - While JaxBIll has added information that readers may want to see, in his last response he is being a whiny tool. Why suckup?

I guess Jimmy Smith's value is down the shooter eh ??
Why? Garrard has a damn good throwing arm. The kid is hard to bring down too.As someone mentioned before, he is very much like the McNabb type.

David Garrard will be on live on 930 The FOX in Jacksonville this afternoon at 3:20 pm EST. Listen live here: 930 The FOX

OK, take with this a grain of salt, BUT,I forwarded the profootballtalk story to a bunch of coworkers.  One apparently knows somebody who knows somebody that works at Alltel Stadium that said that Leftwich went in for an MRI last last night and the results aren't back yet.I'm not saying this is gospel truth but look out for more info today and tomorrow.
I should've known better than to actually share some info.The only reason I bothered to post it all was because the email that the coworker forwarded back to me came from xxxxx@nfl.jaguars.com.
Dude, my bad, I was just breakin' your ballz. The way you worded that just reminded me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Bad joke, my apologies. :thumbup:
Both parties here need to show some sack. JaxBill - StingDiddy was joking.SD - While JaxBIll has added information that readers may want to see, in his last response he is being a whiny tool. Why suckup?
Wouldn't you really rather have a buick? :D

I've already placed my call to Mister Brooks to get himself loosened up. Added Garrard this AM. To say I am disappointed is putting it lightly.
you've been starting Leftwich over Brooks?

I am NOT a Pats fan.

Users who are viewing this thread