What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back/neck nerve issues - talk to me (1 Viewer)

I think I asked this ? of my surgeon. 
ADR (artificial disc replacement) is rarely done for multi level fusion surgery…..doesn’t provide enough stability from what I learned.

multi levels use front plate & screws
That's what I figured.  Was wondering if they could alternate fusions/replacements.

That's what I figured.  Was wondering if they could alternate fusions/replacements.
Wait a second........Take a look the Mobi-C ADR
The 1st page of the PDF brochure says "The Mobi-C Cervical Disc is the first FDA approved two-level disc"
         Mobi-C had lower rates of adjacent segment degeneration at 84 months
         Mobi-C had fewer subsequent surgeries at 84 months

But I thought you wrote that your condition involves >2 discs ???
And also that doesn't mean that your doctor is approved to use it or will want to use it....but maybe worth asking.

I feel like I'm early on here.  I have scolosis that's pretty moderate so I feel like I'm already pinched to an extent.  Thing is I can get some nerve issues at times in extremities, but if I take it easy and do some PT they will go away for years at a time.  Actually taking rest and not exercise can seem at times to make it worse or the episodes last longer.  

I don't really feel like I need to go get an MRI as much as I need to avoid not being a moron and knowing my limits.  Most of my events involve lifting something heavy from the ground which is also a little bit in front (Think couch or large box).

I have worked through mine.  PT/exercise.  I have a rotator cuff issue at the same time, so sometimes not sure if my pain is from neck or cuff.

I went to about 6 PT sessions and got exercises at home.  I also got this traction device that I was doing regularly.  I've now moved on to doing actual dumbell weight lifting, so really don't do any of the PT or traction, only do some stretches daily.  Feeling good but who knows how long it will last.  Took the kids to an amusement park a few weeks ago, first time since this flared up, and I was super nervous about the rough coasters.
You managed to avoid major surgery? 

back from a spine and pain appt.  my SI joint shots were successful and Dr feels i slept wrong which aggravated my cervical.  i’m going to avoid an epidural for now and try my lyrica again with ibuprofen for a mumf and see if i can knock this down.  saving epidural for a really rainy day.  i need a 5-7 fusion, but hoping i can skate by.  my arm is a little cold and numby right now, but i think i can manage.  let’s see what august brings.  

I worked with an older lady who had neck pain, and got the surgery.  Her neck was permanently hunched over after.  She wasn't expecting it, and I felt it made her depressed and led to a lower quality of life. I'm not sure how common this is, but just a heads up (pun intended)

I have worked through mine.  PT/exercise.  I have a rotator cuff issue at the same time, so sometimes not sure if my pain is from neck or cuff.

I went to about 6 PT sessions and got exercises at home.  I also got this traction device that I was doing regularly.  I've now moved on to doing actual dumbell weight lifting, so really don't do any of the PT or traction, only do some stretches daily.  Feeling good but who knows how long it will last.  Took the kids to an amusement park a few weeks ago, first time since this flared up, and I was super nervous about the rough coasters.
:blackdot:

About 10 years ago, I was rear-ended and hurt my neck.  Slipped a disk with really bad pain.  Numbness in my fingers.  I was able to treat it successfully with a ####-load of Advil to help with swelling plus PT, which was mostly traction (which felt amazing).  I haven't had a problem since.

A couple of weeks ago, I was playing in the surf with my kids in Puerto Rico.  A big wave slammed me into the sand.  I hand my arms outstretched above my head and landed right on my elbow.  Instant shoulder pain.  I could barely move my arm for a couple days, gradually feeling a little bit better.  Once I got back home, I saw an ortho and he diagnosed me with a contused rotator cuff.  I prescribed me some pain killers and I am slated to start PT tomorrow.

but now, I am starting to get numb in my thumb and the pain in my neck/shoulder reminds me of when I slipped that disk.  I wonder if I may have re-aggravated that old injury.

Way to go, man! Keep it up. Don't get too caught up in the diagnosis and the recommendations you get from surgeons sometimes. If you're working at it and feeling better, just keep moving forward and improving your strength and flexibility. 

:blackdot:

About 10 years ago, I was rear-ended and hurt my neck.  Slipped a disk with really bad pain.  Numbness in my fingers.  I was able to treat it successfully with a ####-load of Advil to help with swelling plus PT, which was mostly traction (which felt amazing).  I haven't had a problem since.

A couple of weeks ago, I was playing in the surf with my kids in Puerto Rico.  A big wave slammed me into the sand.  I hand my arms outstretched above my head and landed right on my elbow.  Instant shoulder pain.  I could barely move my arm for a couple days, gradually feeling a little bit better.  Once I got back home, I saw an ortho and he diagnosed me with a contused rotator cuff.  I prescribed me some pain killers and I am slated to start PT tomorrow.

but now, I am starting to get numb in my thumb and the pain in my neck/shoulder reminds me of when I slipped that disk.  I wonder if I may have re-aggravated that old injury.
when i initially developed the issue with my cervical, the symptoms manifested as severe shoulder blade pain that ran into my shoulder and my triceps.  i chased a rotator cuff strain for a bit but then my ortho recommended i see the back doctor.  best advise i ever got.  the back guy sent me for an MRI and it was obvious the issue was nerve related.  it doesn’t seem possible, but the nerves affect the muscles and create a deep pain, constant severe soreness sensation.  i’d see a back guy and get an MRI.  you can treat the issue, but be proactive.

when i initially developed the issue with my cervical, the symptoms manifested as severe shoulder blade pain that ran into my shoulder and my triceps.  i chased a rotator cuff strain for a bit but then my ortho recommended i see the back doctor.  best advise i ever got.  the back guy sent me for an MRI and it was obvious the issue was nerve related.  it doesn’t seem possible, but the nerves affect the muscles and create a deep pain, constant severe soreness sensation.  i’d see a back guy and get an MRI.  you can treat the issue, but be proactive.
the PT girl I'm working with believes that the muscles are inflamed and putting stress on the nerves.  That makes a lot of sense to me based on what I'm feeling.  In other words, calm down the muscles and the nerve will be ok.

the PT girl I'm working with believes that the muscles are inflamed and putting stress on the nerves.  That makes a lot of sense to me based on what I'm feeling.  In other words, calm down the muscles and the nerve will be ok.
just saying, it could be the opposite and you are wasting time and money.  but i'm sure the PT place has your best interests at hand.  i mean, its not like they want you to keep coming in for PT so they have to bill insurance.......

Users who are viewing this thread