What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad matchups this week for good defenses... (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
Some of the best defenses in FF recently are facing some tough matchups, the Giants are at the Cards, the Jets are at the Titans, the Pack goes to New Orleans (will be at that game), Baltimore gets Philly. Just wondering what some are doing? Plugging in subs or letting `em roll?

In a 10 team league so there are still a couple options out there. Thinking about picking up DAL DST vs SF but San Fran had a nice little get-better game last week, but that was vs StL and Dallas actually played pretty nicely vs Washington Sunday. Washington meanwhile plays Seattle in SEA (where I think they're somewhat better).

Finally, Denver is horrible on defense but it's tough to beat that Oakland matchup.

(Edit) I will add that when my DST has scored nicely this year I have won, when not I have lost.

I have the NYG DST, but also Warner. Might as well bet on Warner. Just wondering how people are handling these matchups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Jets, Green Bay and Baltimore to put up good fantasy stats unless their are penalties for yards against in your league.

I don't like NYG versus Arizona, and could see a real whacky result with that game (i.e. Cardinals win via 5 Warner TDs).

I am staying the course with the Ravens. They will be fired up after the NYG beat down and that Philly team is struggling to get consistency. With Westbrook ailing and Mcnabb more than capable of tossing up some picks this one could get ugly. But then again... it is the NFL!

I'm strongly considering Denver.
I am as well since I have the Giants v Ari. But, I am thinking if the Giants can get some pressure on Warner he could turn the ball over some. It will be interesting to see if Champ Bailey comes back and what the weather is like in Denver on Sunday.

I am staying the course with the Ravens. They will be fired up after the NYG beat down and that Philly team is struggling to get consistency. With Westbrook ailing and Mcnabb more than capable of tossing up some picks this one could get ugly. But then again... it is the NFL!
There is no question I would stay the course with BAL if I had them. They play well at home and it has been proven that Philly cannot run, even with Westbrook ... so how will they do running against what was the #1 rush D before getting scorched for 200+ yds last week? The Ravens are going to be out to reprove their worth this week. The only way Philly does well is if McNabb can stop throwing INTs, since it seems obvious that the Eagles must be very successful passing the ball in order to win this one. Good luck.

I'm strongly considering Denver.
I am as well since I have the Giants v Ari. But, I am thinking if the Giants can get some pressure on Warner he could turn the ball over some. It will be interesting to see if Champ Bailey comes back and what the weather is like in Denver on Sunday.
I actually had the Giants D earlier this year before trading them away for a backup QB. While a solid D, they can be like night and day. That CLE game was their low point. There is no question they can give up yards. I would expect them to play better than they did against Philly two week ago, but probably won't be overly impressive in FF terms. I would expect a couple sacks and 1-2 turnovers max from them.Champ Bailey should be back this week given that he was a gametime decision last game and then was inactive. DEN is a horrible defense, though, but this is more of a case of OAK being a horrible offense playing on the road.

I think Warner will get crushed and have a down week with several fumbles and/or INT's, and I have him on my team. Not a NYG owner.

If the Giants D can get to Warner it will be a long day for him. He has small hands and fumbles alot when rattled. The ARZ O-line is the real unsung hero in AZ. Fortunately I have the Steelers D also and will play them instead against CIN.

Going after Denver for one week here. Dolphins vs. NE is bad. But after this week, Miami is gold for the playoffs.

Really depends on your scoring system. If your D scoring does not penalize for a lot of points scored, the Giants at Cards has great upside. Warner passes a ton - lots of chances for sacks, fumbles, defensive TDs.

I would not hesitate to start the Giants D vs. Warner, or the Philly D against Warner next week. Hell is comin' to breakfast for Mr. Warner. Will complete passes, but he will be on his back plenty. Also, which Favre will show up? He can be a fantasy D's best friend. I'd rather take my chances against a QB who forces the ball like he does.

I am gonna try and drop the Redskins D and grab the Cowgirls for their matchup against San Fran. I also have the Philly D, but I think Singletary is an idiot and expect turnovers. I don't think Gore will have anu success either, so the QB will have to throw....

"Baltimore gets Philly"

Philly is NOT a good team, roll with BAL and don't look back ...
I based that on Philly scoring points on the Giants a couple weeks ago, and then what Baltimore surrendered to the NYG Sunday. Philly is also No. 6 in points scored per game, but maybe the key there is the Giants were involved in both results. But then after what happened with Philly vs Cincy all of a sudden maybe facing Philly is a good DST play after all.

Koya said:
Really depends on your scoring system. If your D scoring does not penalize for a lot of points scored, the Giants at Cards has great upside. Warner passes a ton - lots of chances for sacks, fumbles, defensive TDs.
Pretty heavily, 14 points against takes the DST from a flat 12 points to start to 3; 21 against gets the DST to zero. No thanks on the NYG vs the Cards. I played the Giants vs Philly instead of spot starting and that cost me a win there.For the heck of it, I looked up the Raiders in my league and the defenses that faced them have scored 93 points against them in 7 weeks since week 3 (after Kiffin was canned); that's 13.3 average which if that was just a single defense would be leading my league. The Falcons are no great shakes as a defense and they held the Raiders to under 80 yards. The Raiders "O" put 6 points up vs Miami, 6 vs Carolina, 0 vs ATL, 10 vs BAL, 13 vs NYJ, 3 vs NO. I'll take a shot at the Broncos I think.

Washington is an interesting play this week. They are 4th in yards/game and 7th in pts/game in the NFL despite playing in the NFC East and playing NO and ARI. They are not getting sacks, fumbles, or INTs though which accounts for the low fantasy points.

Hass has thrown 3 TDs and 7 INTs and the Seattle offense in general looks sucky. I might roll with Washington this week and hope Seattle improves their INT and fumble numbers.

Washington is an interesting play this week. They are 4th in yards/game and 7th in pts/game in the NFL despite playing in the NFC East and playing NO and ARI. They are not getting sacks, fumbles, or INTs though which accounts for the low fantasy points. Hass has thrown 3 TDs and 7 INTs and the Seattle offense in general looks sucky. I might roll with Washington this week and hope Seattle improves their INT and fumble numbers.
Washington definitely seems like a nice play, although you might want to consider that last week was the first one back for Hasselbeck and that he was probably shaking some rust off and won't throw as many INTs this week.I think a big reason Washington has not gotten mention until now in this thread is that they aren't available in many leagues.

Washington definitely seems like a nice play, although you might want to consider that last week was the first one back for Hasselbeck and that he was probably shaking some rust off and won't throw as many INTs this week.I think a big reason Washington has not gotten mention until now in this thread is that they aren't available in many leagues.
Ah ok. Strange - they were available in my league (until I picked them up today) and we're a Washington-based 10-team league. I wonder if our scoring is more tilted towards turnovers than standard leagues?

Ah ok. Strange - they were available in my league (until I picked them up today) and we're a Washington-based 10-team league. I wonder if our scoring is more tilted towards turnovers than standard leagues?
That is weird since you are based in DC area, but the fact you are 10 as opposed to 12 or larger might be the difference from my leagues, which are both 12-team leagues. People have had Washington rostered for a while, mostly due to some of their recent solid matchups like the StL & DET games. Washington is by no means a stud defense, I just hadn't seen them on the waiver wire in my leagues for a while. Best of luck this week with them.

I would avoid Denver, even against the vaunted (or is that unvaunted?) Raiders O. I picked up Denver earlier this year against a (then) HORRIBLE Chiefs offense. The week prior they had done zilch against the Falcons and the Falcons D racked up the points against them. That was the week LJ ran all over Denver and that move got me zilch. I wouldn't start Denver against ANYBODY.

I'm pretty confident in the Packers D. In my scoring systems, turnovers and returns are heavily weighted, and even when the Pack don't stop teams, they always seem to get a couple turnovers, a couple sacks, and a return touchdown. I'm starting them with confidence the rest of the year.

Denvers defense is horrible. I can see OAK trying to run the ball and actually succeeding. This will lead to very few turnovers and not much passing. I gotta think DAL would be a better option vs SF (and then they play SEA the week after) and they have been improving over the last few weeks. And Newman is back also. Im rolling with DAL.

Oakland isn't great, but they are far from the team Denver met in Week 1. The Raiders have huge payback for that game. If they can keep the score respectable, which I think they can, they can pound the ball, which would have been successful in the first match-up had they not had to abandon it. And Russell has improved. I do not like the Denver defense this week (or any week for that matter). In fact, I would choose the Oakland defense before I'd take Denver's.

I would not hesitate to start the Giants D vs. Warner, or the Philly D against Warner next week. Hell is comin' to breakfast for Mr. Warner. Will complete passes, but he will be on his back plenty. Also, which Favre will show up? He can be a fantasy D's best friend. I'd rather take my chances against a QB who forces the ball like he does.
Interesting....I thought the same thing when Warner went to Carolina and posted very respectable numbers....

I am sticking with the Titans D against Favre and the Jets...I would suspect the Titans will keep TJones in check and I can see Favre going the side of 6 INTs against this defense.

kingmalaki said:
I am gonna try and drop the Redskins D and grab the Cowgirls for their matchup against San Fran. I also have the Philly D, but I think Singletary is an idiot and expect turnovers. I don't think Gore will have anu success either, so the QB will have to throw....
Gore has only played in one game against Dallas...in 2005...he did not start, but posted 7 rushes for 42 yards...the Cowboys defense is not exceptional against the run...even a banged up Portis put up 68 yards on Dallas...not to mention, Gore can be used out of the backfield.

With Favre's propensity to throw the ball up for grabs or fumble instead of securing the ball and taking the occasional sack, I don't think I'd want to start him against a defense like Tennessee.

I've been carrying 2 DSTs all year, playing matchups (Titans & Eagles)... Kinda torn what to do week 12, but am leaning Titans since they are at home, even though the Titans D hasn't been doing much fantasy wise lately (well, they did have a good game vs Jax week 11)....

The Giants may play a tough offense but I do not think it is a bad match eup for them. Kurt Warner is a turn over machine if he gets pressure on him and th G-Men will do that. Sure the Giants will give up yards and over 20 points but they will be good for at least 5 sacks and 3 turn overs and maybe a td return. Warner will turn it over at least 3 times 2 via the air 1 on the ground.

I think Dallas is a good play this week. SF has a young QB playing on the road. Lets not forget Dallas is a desperate team playing for their playoff lives. If the WASH game is any indication go with Dallas.

Users who are viewing this thread