What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baseball/Softball Glove Recommendations (1 Viewer)

I recently signed up for a company (slow pitch) softball league...

Played baseball all through high school...played infield and used a small infielder's glove (it was a Louisville Slugger 11.75"). However, I haven't played an organized game of baseball or softball in probably 7-8 years.

Somewhere in one of my moves over the last year, I've lost my baseball glove and need to get a new one.

I'd want something that's decent quality...but as a casual player, I definitely don't need a top-o'-the-line $300 glove.

I'd probably be looking to spend in the $50-$75 range (if I can get a decent glove for that much?)

I prefer a smaller glove to a larger one...but I'm not sure I can get away with something as small as 11.75" for softball...

Any recommendations from the experts would be much appreciated!

First of all, not an expert. I recently had to replace my glove as well (my wife left the glove I had since high school out in the yard after playing with the kids. I didn't discover it until mowing the lawn a week later. :thumbup: ). There is a big selection of gloves for under $75, so you can get a good enough one for a slow pitch work league.

As far as the size, it depends, as in baseball, if you're going to be infield or outfield. One slow pitch team I'm on had an incredible shortstop who played with what looked like a baseball infielder's glove. IMO, you have to have incredible skills to pull that off with a softball. For softball, I've always wanted as big of a glove that my hand can handle. Rarely do you need to get it out of your glove as fast as in baseball, keeping it in your glove was more important. Just my opinion (and I'm mainly an outfielder, so my opinion may be totally irrelevant, instead of just mostly irrelevant).

I recently signed up for a company (slow pitch) softball league...Played baseball all through high school...played infield and used a small infielder's glove (it was a Louisville Slugger 11.75"). However, I haven't played an organized game of baseball or softball in probably 7-8 years.Somewhere in one of my moves over the last year, I've lost my baseball glove and need to get a new one.I'd want something that's decent quality...but as a casual player, I definitely don't need a top-o'-the-line $300 glove.I'd probably be looking to spend in the $50-$75 range (if I can get a decent glove for that much?)I prefer a smaller glove to a larger one...but I'm not sure I can get away with something as small as 11.75" for softball...Any recommendations from the experts would be much appreciated!
What size softball you using??12 in?14 in?16 in?

First of all, not an expert. I recently had to replace my glove as well (my wife left the glove I had since high school out in the yard after playing with the kids. I didn't discover it until mowing the lawn a week later. :popcorn: ). There is a big selection of gloves for under $75, so you can get a good enough one for a slow pitch work league.As far as the size, it depends, as in baseball, if you're going to be infield or outfield. One slow pitch team I'm on had an incredible shortstop who played with what looked like a baseball infielder's glove. IMO, you have to have incredible skills to pull that off with a softball. For softball, I've always wanted as big of a glove that my hand can handle. Rarely do you need to get it out of your glove as fast as in baseball, keeping it in your glove was more important. Just my opinion (and I'm mainly an outfielder, so my opinion may be totally irrelevant, instead of just mostly irrelevant).
I'll likely be playing the infield in this case, and I'd like as small a glove as is 'reasonable' for softball handling...

I'm like you in that I like to use a glove as small as possible for softball, especially playing middle infield. I bought a glove about 5 years ago that I still use. It's an SSK. here's a link of it. I was in a similar situation as you. I signed up for a league and went looking for my glove and couldn't find it. So I went looking for a glove and found the one I linked at a local batting cage. The main reason I bought it, besides it being relatively cheap, I think it was under 50 bucks IIRC, was that it was basically already broken in. It's a nice glove for what you're looking for. The only complaint I have about it is since it's a pretty soft glove, sometimes a line drive hits it just right and it stings a little. No complaints otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread