What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BBQ Restaurants (1 Viewer)

Btw, I did hit up La Barbecue and Terry Blacks last September. Both were awesome.

For those in Los Angeles that are still mourning the loss of Bludso's in Compton, Moo's BBQ in Lincoln Heights is legit. 

Had friends in town who are big fans of Chef's Table so this morning, we got up before dawn and headed out to Snows.

We got there about 445am and we were number 55 in line. It opened just before 8am. And we got our food around 840.

We ordered some of everything -

• Brisket - terrific
  • Pork ribs - fantastic
  • Pork shoulder - incredible
  • Sausage - fine. Not great.
  • The sides were nothing to write home about.
We got to talk to and get a picture with Miss Tootsie.

All in all, while it was very cold and very early, it was still a fun time. And worth it ... once.

Had friends in town who are big fans of Chef's Table so this morning, we got up before dawn and headed out to Snows.

We got there about 445am and we were number 55 in line. It opened just before 8am. And we got our food around 840.

• Brisket - terrific
  • Pork ribs - fantastic

All in all, while it was very cold and very early, it was still a fun time. And worth it ... once.

That's great. I'd agree it's mostly the experience. I haven't been in a couple of years and it's good to know it's still that busy.

I've often thought if I ever did a BBQ restaurant, I'd do it like that and only be open on Saturdays. It's just so much work. It's a terrible business model and has virtually everything going against it compared to other businesses. (most of which aren't great models either but they're a zillion times better/easier than BBQ).

Glad you got to go. Tootsie and Snows are a great ambassador for my adopted home state of Texas.

• Brisket - terrific
  • Pork ribs - fantastic

Why do people go there for smoked meats and sides for breakfast ?

Why do people go there for smoked meats and sides for breakfast ?

It's not that they want breakfast. But it opens at 8 and closes when it sells out which is about 2 or so. So if you're going to make the trip, you get there early.

Franklins is different as it opens at 11:00. The line there starts forming about 7. Kind of ridiculous. But worth doing once. It's also a fun vibe in the line. They have chairs and it's like a tailgate. You're with a bunch of other BBQ nerds who love it like you do so it's not as bad as it sounds to wait that long.

Finally made a pilgrimage to Franklin's on Saturday. Got in line at about 9:45 to make it to the counter by noon and everything available (although we did take the next to last beef rib that was on special).

The brisket and the beef rib are world class. Not sure I have had any better (Cattleack and trailer era Heim come closest). Sausage and turkey were amazing. Pork Ribs and Pulled Pork were way above average. Only three sides available (beans, potato salad and cole slaw). All are fine with the cole slaw being the best IMO, but you are there for the meats. The Sauces were also amazing, esp their special Espresso sauce, but you didn't really need them at all.

Didn't need to hear any of this from me, just another satisfied customer.

Barbs B Q in Lockhart and la Barbecue in Austin are next on my list to try.

Iron works and Franklin’s in Austin TX are both amazing. There was a food cart/truck in Austin that served some of the best brisket sandwiches in known existence but I can’t say that I wasn’t influenced by some libations at the time.

Here in So-Cal we’re not exactly known for BBQ but there is a local place called Phil’s BBQ that started in a tiny hole in the wall spot and has grown to 3 massive locations throughout San Diego that always have huge lines. Big fan.
Huge fan of Phil's when I lived in so cal

I'll start with a newer one. I've never been to Matt Horn's place in Oakland but it looks rad. https://www.eater.com/22301580/pitmaster-matt-horn-west-coast-style-barbecue-oakland
I live in Oakland and I’ve been to Matt’s a few times. Great. Keeping in mind we’re in California where BBQ really isn’t a thing (sadly). Look me up if you’re in the area.

@Joe Bryant , sorry to deliver this news...Oakland's going through some stuff these days.

Went to Myron Mixon's place outside of D.C. Disappointing. Pretty empty and the brisket was tough. Wasn't asked if I wanted fatty or lean or combo. Just gave me lean. Very dry. Smoked turkey was excellent though. Juicy.

Had a cool experience 2 weeks ago. They had a special pop-up in LA at a restaurant called HomeState. Guess the owner is from Austin. Very popular, they do high end tacos and more. Aaron Franklin came for 4 days to partner on "the best breakfast taco on the planet". Charity event - $1 was donated for every taco sold. Tortillas made on site, cage free eggs, salsas, avocado and Aaron's brisket. Lines were down the block until they ran out. Had to get a number to ensure you'd get max 2 tacos per ticket. It was legendary. Aaron was there and walking around talking to everyone. Had a great chat. Told him his BBQ Manifesto is my bible and he dug that. Took pictures, got autographed posters, etc. Very cool guy.

Sigh... so bummed. A local BBQ joint here near my house shut down as of yesterday out of the blue. They had endured a lengthy renovation at the center they were at AND Covid, but recently the center owner was doing construction near where they were and had a big chunk of the parking lot blocked off. BBQ place said the parking situation was negatively affecting business, although I'm not sure this was the only reason. Pretty much any time I'd go in there they were at about 20-30% capacity. But man I loved going in there on a Saturday, late afternoon, to watch some football, have some super cold and CHEAP craft beer and some brisket mac n' cheese. I discovered this place maybe 7 years ago and became a semi-regular, got to know the owner and servers a bit. I am going to need to find a new local hole in the wall to eat at. Very sad.

Went to Myron Mixon's place outside of D.C. Disappointing. Pretty empty and the brisket was tough. Wasn't asked if I wanted fatty or lean or combo. Just gave me lean. Very dry. Smoked turkey was excellent though. Juicy.
I’m in Alexandria, where Mixon’s place is. I’ve never been as have not heard good things about it. Definitely some better BBQ options around here.

I’m in Alexandria, where Mixon’s place is. I’ve never been as have not heard good things about it. Definitely some better BBQ options around here.
What are the better options? I’m south of Alexandria a bit, but get up that way frequently and would make a trip for good BBQ.

Finally made a pilgrimage to Franklin's on Saturday. Got in line at about 9:45 to make it to the counter by noon and everything available (although we did take the next to last beef rib that was on special).

The brisket and the beef rib are world class. Not sure I have had any better (Cattleack and trailer era Heim come closest). Sausage and turkey were amazing. Pork Ribs and Pulled Pork were way above average. Only three sides available (beans, potato salad and cole slaw). All are fine with the cole slaw being the best IMO, but you are there for the meats. The Sauces were also amazing, esp their special Espresso sauce, but you didn't really need them at all.

Still haven't done it. Costs of the top tier BBQ places are just out of control at this point. He's above 40/pound now on brisket? At some point you just go to a steakhouse.

I'll start with a newer one. I've never been to Matt Horn's place in Oakland but it looks rad. https://www.eater.com/22301580/pitmaster-matt-horn-west-coast-style-barbecue-oakland
I live in Oakland and I’ve been to Matt’s a few times. Great. Keeping in mind we’re in California where BBQ really isn’t a thing (sadly). Look me up if you’re in the area.

@Joe Bryant , sorry to deliver this news...Oakland's going through some stuff these days.

Aw Man. That's terrible.

BBQ businesses in my opinion are the most difficult to keep going. Just so much work and obstacles. Restaurants are difficult enough, but I think BBQ is nearly impossible.

Still haven't done it. Costs of the top tier BBQ places are just out of control at this point. He's above 40/pound now on brisket? At some point you just go to a steakhouse.

Excellent point. Last Wednesday, went to the Christmas Tree lighting in Sundance Square. Decided to hit up Riscky's for the first time in forever. It was a perfectly good, acceptable BBQ experience for half or a third of what Heim, Lockhart or Cattleack would have been. Ironically, as we walked around the square, my date and I decided we needed to make a list of the best steakhouses/fine dining places in the area that we haven't been to, and make an effort to try each one. That might be where the value is right now over craft BBQ.

Think I might hit up Rudy’s again on my next El Paso trip. Surprisingly good for franchise gas station BBQ
When I lived in Austin Rudy's was my go-to. Never even went to Franklin's. Rudy's turkey and brisket were/are outstanding and can't beat the pricing (at least when I was there).

Users who are viewing this thread