What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Be a Better Writer And Poster - Be a Better Person (1 Viewer)

This thread's a good illustration too for how people don't all desire the same thing. 

Some will argue against being more concise and clear. Others wouldn't even start to read the article saying it was too long. 

Lots of different folks out there. And that's good. 

It's an interesting discussion for sure.

I think it's an issue of focus.

As a writer, I think an important question to ask is this:  Is the focus on yourself or is the focus on the reader?

Which also relates to the question: What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to make a statement? Are you trying to transfer a thought? Are you trying to inform? Are you trying to persuade?

Lots of variables and different goals are in the mix. And each will inform how one can best communicate. 
I agree and disagree. It depends on what kind of writing we are talking about. Writing for the sake of a business environment is one thing.  Writing in general outside of the world of business is another animal in general.  Over the past 20-30 years—the typical “audience” here in the US has absolutely devolved. We have transformed ourselves into an “ADD-like” culture that is propelled by instant gratification.  People have a hard time focusing on anything that takes anything more than a tiny bit of time and effort. Now let me ask you this—do you think that catering to this attitude and culture should be celebrated?

One of the biggest byproducts of writing is that it is supposed to not only convey thoughts—but it’s also supposed to invite thinking and cultivate more thoughts from the readers.  By reducing and “dumbing” writing down—we have effectively created a culture where anything that requires time and effort to read is getting passed over.   People shouldn’t dumb down eloquent writing as a reactionary measure to a culture that has devolved peoples motivation to actually read something that takes time and effort. 

Now let me ask you this—do you think that catering to this attitude and culture should be celebrated?
I don't think it's something to celebrate.

My interest isn't in celebrating. My interest is in effectively communicating. ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread's a good illustration too for how people don't all desire the same thing. 

Some will argue against being more concise and clear. Others wouldn't even start to read the article saying it was too long. 

Lots of different folks out there. And that's good. 
I don't think anyone is arguing against concise communication. Some are suggesting brevity can be overdone, however.

And equating communication/posting style to personal worth is a bit much.

Yeah it’s the “be a better person” part I don’t get. That’s coming from someone who believes being a great writer is a critical skill in business. 

Professional vs personal. Overly verbose  writers need love too.  

I don't think anyone is arguing against concise communication. Some are suggesting brevity can be overdone, however.

Sure. Anything can be overdone.

For the better person thing, there's a little bit of tongue in cheek going on I'm sure with the author and being a better person. it's an interesting argument they make though I think. Even if maybe it's not completely serious. 

My grandfather wrote for the New York Times coming out of the great depression.  He said if he didn't know much about whatever the subject was he would research it in the kid's section of the library. He was also a card carrying member of the communist party so there's that too.
It's amazing how effective that must be.  The Jeopardy legend said he did same thing to prepare.

I get a lot of people submitting articles they'd like to have published. Without question, the biggest flaw I see is them being inefficient with words. 
I admittedly notice at work that a lot of younger folks in my office are extremely poor writers. And I am referring to simple communications such as email. Many times I will get an email and have to send several follow-up questions because I'm not sure what they were trying to communicate. Not that it is outright horrible or anything. But the communication aspect is poor enough that it just crosses the line between KNOWING what they meant and WONDERING what they meant. So I end up with no choice but to have to go back and clarify. It can actually become quite the time sink and delay things getting done while I wait for the responses.

First we lose all the hot broads and now we're getting writing lessons. Shall we all retire to the tea room for some refreshments and scones then enjoy a poetry reading? Pinkies up, gentlemen. Pinkies up...

Users who are viewing this thread