What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears 2006 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

A lot of people have the Bears taking a TE in the first round. I for one don't see that happening. I think that they may address their needs at CB in free agency, and I think that they are going to be looking to draft a OL.

Just a gut feeling, nothing to base it on.

I also think the Bears may address TE in free agency, as there are quite a few quality guys available.

Then they can get one of the Top Safeties in the first round and/or one of the top five CBs.

I don't see them overpaying for a CB in free agency though...

Interesting read from today's online DailySouthtown:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/271sd6.htm

The article appears to be based on an interview with Bears scouting director Greg Gabriel.
I wouldn't mind "settling" for M. Lewis. Is there any chance that he falls to the Bears in the seond round? I doubt it. Who else needs a TE as badly?
Im all on the "no TE in the 1st" bandwagonO-line or maybe, maybe CB

Lets get Randle-El and keep that o-line on track. Thats enough help to the offense

Only TE I'd take in the first is Davis. I'm all for trading up for him. Otherwise, go TE in the 2nd or 3rd.
Here it says:
San Francisco 49ers: Vernon Davis, TE Maryland – Funny thing about the NFL is that tight ends that are 6’4, 256 pounds and run 4.38 40-yard dashes are in high demand. Unfortunately, there is only one of those players on the planet and that’s Davis. Davis was the king of the Combine when he dazzled NFL scouts with his athletic ability. Eric Johnson has missed most of the last two seasons with injuries and the 49ers desperately need some big-play weapons on offense to help Alex Smith develop as a quarterback. Throwing the ball to the freak that is Vernon Davis will certainly help Smith be more productive. He pretty much just has to throw the ball some place in the stadium and the athletic Davis will do the rest. The 49ers are a team that has expressed interest in trading down so this selection could end up being one of those hot spots in the draft where teams trying to trade up will swing a deal with San Francisco.
Might the Bears trade up to the #6 spot and grab Davis there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only TE I'd take in the first is Davis. I'm all for trading up for him. Otherwise, go TE in the 2nd or 3rd.
Here it says:
San Francisco 49ers: Vernon Davis, TE Maryland – Funny thing about the NFL is that tight ends that are 6’4, 256 pounds and run 4.38 40-yard dashes are in high demand. Unfortunately, there is only one of those players on the planet and that’s Davis. Davis was the king of the Combine when he dazzled NFL scouts with his athletic ability. Eric Johnson has missed most of the last two seasons with injuries and the 49ers desperately need some big-play weapons on offense to help Alex Smith develop as a quarterback. Throwing the ball to the freak that is Vernon Davis will certainly help Smith be more productive. He pretty much just has to throw the ball some place in the stadium and the athletic Davis will do the rest. The 49ers are a team that has expressed interest in trading down so this selection could end up being one of those hot spots in the draft where teams trying to trade up will swing a deal with San Francisco.
I think thats mighty high for a TE, especially to move up for. thats a big price to pay. I'd rather draft Pope in our current slot or wait and hope that a top TE this year will fall to them in the second.

Here it says:
I think thats mighty high for a TE, especially to move up for. thats a big price to pay. I'd rather draft Pope in our current slot or wait and hope that a top TE this year will fall to them in the second.
Yeah it'd probly cost a lot to move up there. Pope's still good. Anyways who's to say they'll take a TE?

I don't see the Bears trading up to get Davis. I personally would trade up to get him It's a TE-heavy class so that makes it unlikely. I personally think Davis will be that much better than the others & would lessen the importance to upgrade the WR core. I don't know that the Bears have the trade chips to move all the way up to the 6 spot (I couldn't see Angelo parting with next year's 1st rounder in addition to this year's pick).

I think the 49ers would be foolish to pass on Davis myself. Struggling QB with suspect arm and unproven WR's. Davis would like a fine release valve and no need to have to depend on Eric Johnson coming back. If he does, you have your yourself a nice 2-TE combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily Herald

G Metcalf signed a 6 year 9 mil extension with a believed 2.5 mil signing bonus. G Garza earlier signed a 6 year 10 mil extension. One will start at RG with the other backing up both G spots.

Sun-Times is reporting a 3.5 mil signing bonus for Metcalf.

Sun-Times

Also, Muhammed on ARE and it says that ARE is seeking Wayne money. If so, no. Also, the Bears are offering low tenders of 712K to strong side linebacker Hillenmeyer and d lineman Idonije.

With Tait, Miller, and St. Clair at tackle, and Brown, Garza, and Metcalf at guard, the Bears have seemingly eliminated offensive line as a high priority in both free agency and the draft. It looks like their main needs are starter caliber players at CB and TE, and depth at LB and QB.

With ample cap space and all of last years starters locked up, Jerry Angelo has managed the team well. The Bears are well poised to add impact players in free agency and the draft. I'm looking forward to it.

Daily Herald

G Metcalf signed a 6 year 9 mil extension with a believed 2.5 mil signing bonus. G Garza earlier signed a 6 year 10 mil extension. One will start at RG with the other backing up both G spots.

Sun-Times is reporting a 3.5 mil signing bonus for Metcalf.

Sun-Times

Also, Muhammed on ARE and it says that ARE is seeking Wayne money. If so, no. Also, the Bears are offering low tenders of 712K to strong side linebacker Hillenmeyer and d lineman Idonije.
Inking Metcalf is an excellent move. I though the Bears were going to let some team steal him.

I think it sets the tone for Ruben Brown to get cut personally....

I think there are gonna be a lot of unhappy high priced NFL veterans come Sunday around dinner time.

With Tait, Miller, and St. Clair at tackle, and Brown, Garza, and Metcalf at guard, the Bears have seemingly eliminated offensive line as a high priority in both free agency and the draft.
Brown is OLD and Miller is getting up there too. I hope they stay focused on building a dominant o-line.

I think they need to come out of the draft with a prospect who can develop into an LT within two years. If so, Tait can move back to his more rightful position at RT when Miller is gone. They do not have a true LT on the roster. Maybe looking at Rashad Butler in the 2nd. From what I have seen, he needs some time but has the athleticism and length to succeed at LT possibly by 2007.

I am going to say this again. MEH to Randel El. He's OK and that's it. Reminds me too much of Beltran and his postseason push leading up to a huge contract. Randel El is a #2 looking for a huge payday.

Giant and Dolphin fan here. You Bear fans looking to sign Randal El are out of your mind. You have two young receivers who will develop next to Muhammad so let them develop. If you can get a stud WR then maybe it makes sense but you are reaching with RE. I would take your situation and look at what you have. Two very good RB's a fragile but probably decent QB. SPEND YOUR MONEY ON YOUR OL to support your solid running game AND protect your QB (no matter who it may be). This will also support your solid defense in controlling the clock

Giant and Dolphin fan here. You Bear fans looking to sign Randal El are out of your mind. You have two young receivers who will develop next to Muhammad so let them develop. If you can get a stud WR then maybe it makes sense but you are reaching with RE. I would take your situation and look at what you have. Two very good RB's a fragile but probably decent QB. SPEND YOUR MONEY ON YOUR OL to support your solid running game AND protect your QB (no matter who it may be). This will also support your solid defense in controlling the clock
OL is neither sexy, nor exciting. I think that's the reason most people want to see Randle El come in.

:goodposting: Agree. Although Id have been ok with Randle El at a certain price, but now it looks like hes going to want much more than hes really worth. Bradley and Berrian both have the potential to leave Randle El in their dust.

This offseason should be all about o-line and secondary

If the Bears go WR, I would be very disappointed if they went for anyone other than Koren Robinson. If they were able to get Robinson, he is more talented and would cost much less than Randle EL (because Koren is on the "program" and because EL just came off a Super Bowl).

The result if they got Robinson would be that they get a legit #1 WR that adds another dimension to the offense (not to mention, pushing Muhammed back to where he belongs....as one of the best #2 WRs in the game). Even if Minnesota matches and keeps Robinson, you still effect the cap space of a division rival.

Randle El is no better than what Bradley and Berrian could be. If they can get Robinson, draft one of the top TEs, upgrade that OL just a little, and keep Grossman healthy...you've got one of the best offenses and defenses in the NFL

Regarding the extension of Lance Brigg's contract. I'm not so sure it's gonna happen, unless the Bears want to GUARANTEE that he makes less than Urlacher.

2006 was supposed to be his last year under contract, and he was to be a UFA around this time in 2007.

Not so fast...

With no CBA in place, he ain't goin' anywhere:

• Salary cap: 64.5% of designated gross revenues

• Unrestricted free agents: Must have four or more accrued seasons

• Restricted free agents: Must have three accrued seasons

• Franchise players: Each club may designate one

• Transition players: Each club may designate one in lieu of a franchise player

• Salary bonus proration: Maximum of four years

• Unrestricted free agent signing restrictions: None

• Benefits: Second career savings plan, supplemental disability, player annuity program, severance pay plan, tuition assistance plan

• Minimum salaries: In effect with increase of $5,000 over 2005

• Salary cap: None

• Unrestricted free agents: Must have six or more accrued seasons

• Restricted free agents: Must have three, four or five accrued seasons

• Franchise players: Each club may designate one

• Transition players: Each club may designate one in addition to a franchise player

• Salary bonus proration: None

• Unrestricted free agent signing restrictions: Final eight teams from 2006 have restricted ability to sign unrestricted free agents

• Benefits: None (teams no longer contribute to second career savings plan, supplemental disability, player annuity program, severance pay plan, tuition assistance plan)

• Minimum salaries: In effect; same as 2006

Of course, it's better to resign him now, when the Bears know they can afford him, as he may ask for a king's ransom after his 'six years are up' - when things are uncapped or much higher. Much like the Bears wouldn't pay Otis or Wilbur more money than Singletary, I'm sure the same goes for Urlacher (and rightfully so... actually more rightfully so than the Singletary situation, as Wilbur DESERVED more money).

If the Bears go WR, I would be very disappointed if they went for anyone other than Koren Robinson. If they were able to get Robinson, he is more talented and would cost much less than Randle EL (because Koren is on the "program" and because EL just came off a Super Bowl).

The result if they got Robinson would be that they get a legit #1 WR that adds another dimension to the offense (not to mention, pushing Muhammed back to where he belongs....as one of the best #2 WRs in the game). Even if Minnesota matches and keeps Robinson, you still effect the cap space of a division rival.

Randle El is no better than what Bradley and Berrian could be. If they can get Robinson, draft one of the top TEs, upgrade that OL just a little, and keep Grossman healthy...you've got one of the best offenses and defenses in the NFL
He seems to have turned himself around, too, right? Seemed to make an impact in Minnesota returning kicks and at WR. I like this idea.

Giant and Dolphin fan here.  You Bear fans looking to sign Randal El are out of your mind.  You have two young receivers who will develop next to Muhammad so let them develop.  If you can get a stud WR then maybe it makes sense but you are reaching with RE.  I would take your situation and look at what you have.  Two very good RB's a fragile but probably decent QB.  SPEND YOUR MONEY ON YOUR OL to support your solid running game AND protect your QB (no matter who it may be).  This will also support your solid defense in controlling the clock
OL is neither sexy, nor exciting. I think that's the reason most people want to see Randle El come in.
yep, but winning is really sexy

Giant and Dolphin fan here.  You Bear fans looking to sign Randal El are out of your mind.  You have two young receivers who will develop next to Muhammad so let them develop.  If you can get a stud WR then maybe it makes sense but you are reaching with RE.  I would take your situation and look at what you have.  Two very good RB's a fragile but probably decent QB.  SPEND YOUR MONEY ON YOUR OL to support your solid running game AND protect your QB (no matter who it may be).  This will also support your solid defense in controlling the clock
yep, but winning is really sexy
Agreed, agreed.

With all of the CB's cut and the possible signing of the CBA extension, what are the chances that the Bears bring in a veteran corner like Sam Madison, Eric Warfield, or Dexter McCleon? This move would also free them up to pursue more OL depth in the draft. Just throwing it out there.

Agree with what most of you are saying, but not the order of priority.

1. Oline. Age and health is a concern and needs to be addressed. Fred Miller and Ruben Brown are old. Tait and Krutz are not young, though still awesome. This is the key for both the running game and pass protection.

2. CB - Tillman had issues with fast smaller wrs like S. Moss and S Smith. Part of the blame falls to the coaches as they left him on an island and the safetys did not get over to cover the deep ball. He is a good CB against big physical WRs, but overmatched against big time speed. Mike Brown and Harris are solid safetys, but Tillman might be a good one as well.

3. WR - Mush, Bradley and Berrian are ok, but we need an upgrade here. gage has shown why he was only a 5th round pick. Mush will be around for another two years before his contract makes him a cap casualty. (assuming there is a cap)

4. TE - I dont like drafting these guys, though we are near the spot where Heath Miller went last year. Generally these guys need time to learn to block and are a 2 or 3 year project. Get one in FA.

Before all of the above:

Sign Briggs long term and sign Hunter.

Grossman had 3 TD drives in the playoff game. No reason why he shouldnt be the starter. Hope he can stay healthy.

1. Oline. Age and health is a concern and needs to be addressed. Fred Miller and Ruben Brown are old. Tait and Krutz are not young, though still awesome. This is the key for both the running game and pass protection.

2. CB - Tillman had issues with fast smaller wrs like S. Moss and S Smith. Part of the blame falls to the coaches as they left him on an island and the safetys did not get over to cover the deep ball. He is a good CB against big physical WRs, but overmatched against big time speed. Mike Brown and Harris are solid safetys, but Tillman might be a good one as well.

3. WR - Mush, Bradley and Berrian are ok, but we need an upgrade here. gage has shown why he was only a 5th round pick. Mush will be around for another two years before his contract makes him a cap casualty. (assuming there is a cap)

4. TE - I dont like drafting these guys, though we are near the spot where Heath Miller went last year. Generally these guys need time to learn to block and are a 2 or 3 year project. Get one in FA.

Before all of the above:

Grossman had 3 TD drives in the playoff game. No reason why he shouldnt be the starter. Hope he can stay healthy.
What do you think about signing a recently cut corner and moving Tillman to safety to bring some continuity to the constantly injured Mike Brown and sophomore Chris Harris?

Before all of the above:

What do you think about signing a recently cut corner and moving Tillman to safety to bring some continuity to the constantly injured Mike Brown and sophomore Chris Harris?
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Brown's injury history is undeniable. Tillman may be better than Harris at safety. It would be good to have 3 solid ones. The main question is whether they can sign a CB that would be better than Tillman. Maybe they could match up Tillman with bigger WRs and a faster guy to cover the Smiths and Moss'

Before all of the above:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Brown's injury history is undeniable. Tillman may be better than Harris at safety. It would be good to have 3 solid ones. The main question is whether they can sign a CB that would be better than Tillman. Maybe they could match up Tillman with bigger WRs and a faster guy to cover the Smiths and Moss'
Who's a speedy DB that we have? No names really come to mind...

Before all of the above:

The would be a FA or draft pick.Not sure why we didnt put Vasher on Smith in the playoffs. It keeps coming back to Fox outcoaching Lovie in that game. A one dimensional team and they kicked ###.

:X

Before all of the above:

Vasher?

Before all of the above:

Vasher?
I wish I knew his 40 time. For some reason I picture him as being slow, but I dunno.

Before all of the above:

Vasher?
I wish I knew his 40 time. For some reason I picture him as being slow, but I dunno.
4.61 but I think of him more as quick anyway. Not necessarily a speed guy (as based on his time) but he can keep up with the quicker small WR's. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/47073.html

After signing Terrance Metcalf long-term to go with getting St. Claire/Friedman locked up, the Bears have their 5 starters and now 3 backups under contract for next season. I agree the age of the line (Fred Miller at RT, and Ruben Brown at G) are starting to become a concern, but I don't see the Bears making the line a priority this off-season. I think the most we can expect to see is a Day 2 pick for a lineman.
I agree - I'd like to see one veteran WR brought in here. I love the future of both Bradley and Berrian, but if we want Grossman to suceed, we need to give him dependable options. I'd prefer Randel El because he wouldn't be a player who hinders the develop of Bradley/Berrian with no more than 50 receptions, but the defense would have to account for him, which would open things up elsewhere.
With the talent at TE this season, I'd hate to walk away from Round 1 without grabbing one. Saying that, if someone unexpected falls, I hope they are jump on it.

I also think the Bears may address TE in free agency, as there are quite a few quality guys available.

Then they can get one of the Top Safeties in the first round and/or one of the top five CBs.

I don't see them overpaying for a CB in free agency though...
Who do you see that you like? I guess Chris Baker or Dan Campbell might be decent. Zach Hilton had a couple productive games last year. Maybe Teyo Johnson, although if he couldn't make the Cards something must be wrong with that dude. Other than possibly those guys, I don't see any great pass catching TE's out there, and the Bears could use one.

Lets break this down by position.

QB-We need a veteren 3rd string QB

RB-Nobody, unless we move Thomas Jones(not a good idea)

FB-Fine as long as Johnson can stay healthy

WR-We are pretty good, we have experience Moose and very talented youth in Bradley/berrian/gage/currie. We are better at this position than most think. Talent needs to develop and Berrian has showed he is a playmaker(catches late in the season and the gamewinner against Detriot that wasn't called a td). In a run based offense having 4 or 5 very talented WR's is not a priority. However, if we could find a slot/possesion/veteren WR for cheap, I would do it. There are many of them out there. Why not sign a Johnnie Morton for the league minimum and then if he can't hack it, cut him in training camp. But if we sign Randle el and the young WR's develop(as I believe) then it is just wasted money.

TE- The Desmond Clark project is over, he is not going to be the TE that we hoped(although he was a Pro Bowl alternate, i believe due to injuries). But we should not cut him, for we need veteren leadership at this position. But we do need to add some talent here, in a bad way. Jeb Pultzier(from the Broncos) would be a decent addition, along with Leonard Pope. Pope is a better fit than Vernon Davis because he is a huge guy that can run block. I would give up .2 tenths in a forty for a guy that is about 4 inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier. But yet athletic enough to get open and stretch the middle of the field for the passing game. Look at some of the best running games in the NFL, KC=Gonzalez SD=Gates ATL=Crumpler PIT=Heath Miller BALT=Heap INDY=Dallas Clark SEA=Jeremy Stevens NYG=Shockey DAL=Whitten......is this a trend guys? Yes, having that great TE will help out the passing game AND the running game. This is our Number one need in the offseason and Leonard Pope is the guy!

OL-Is looking terrific by some great moves from Jerry Angelo. He is shoring up all of the backups and making it a good situation for the future. Ruben Brown will be gone soon, so then Metcalf, Garza, Friedman can step in with experience and not miss a beat. John St. Clair can be a swing tackle and fill in for either side for injury as well as Steve Edwards who could also fill in at guard and Q. Mitchell. Only way we address this position is through the draft in the late rounds or if in round 3, a guy slips to us.

DL-This appears to be our strongest position on the team. However, I think this could be a need area. M. Haynes is likely gone, or we should move him to DT(which I don't think will happen). But our DE's look good, perhaps a qualtity backup, if easily obtained. But here is where it gets interesting, Tommie Harris is the man. Ian Scott proved that he can start and be a force, but is a restricted FA I believe. Tank Johnson showed promise and then gets in trouble with the law. Boone....has flashes but is the oldest of the bunch and could be cut! I think we could add a quality DT here and make sure that this position doesn't wear down at the end of the year. I think we should add....Chris Hovan...talented...yes...knows the division...yes...cheap...possibly...a veteren...yes.

LB-We have the best core of LB's in the NFL. Resign Hillenmeyer(cheap) and they don't worry about it. Reese, Odom, and Hunter are all still relatively young and developing. We can't have 3 high priced LBer's. Resign Briggs to a long term deal and then we are fine here.

DB's-Now everyone wants to jump all over tillman, who was severely effected by the NFL rule change for Cb's. However, on most of his bad plays this season the saftey was out of position. Azumah is done and Vasher is a stud. Can we add a veteren CB....yes.....does it need to be an expensive Charles Woodson type guy....no.....guys that come to mind here...Jamar Fletcher/Willie Williams/Eric Warfield/Reggie Howard. But the real need comes in at saftey, where the cover 2 system needs speed. Harris was a great draft pick for the bears and we all know Mike Brown. However, Brown can't stay healthy the past two seasons and Harris appears better suited to play Brown's SS position. If we can significantly upgrade this position....and add a veteren or two....Our defense will go to a whole new level. The reason is because Steve Smith would be handled with more easy as would Galloway and those 2 Td's the Browns had late in the 4th quarter. So a guy like Adam Archaleta(who has played for lovie smith before) comes to mind, perhaps a Tebucky Jones or Tank Williams as well.

My last offseason wish...might be a stretch...but would most certainly ease many bears fans fears. His name Adam Vinateri. He kicks in cold weather, is very experienced(aka kick in the snow vs the raiders, 2 game winning super bowl kicks) and would be well worth the money.

So to recap...3rd String QB, veteren WR in the mold of a Johnnie Morton or Marty Booker(if released), Jeb Putzier, Leonard Pope, Chris Hovan, a cheap CB like Jamar Fletcher, a good saftey such as Adam Archuleta, and Adam Vinateri.

Priority-TE, Saftey, CB, K, DT, WR, QB

That is not an expensive offseason but fills the needs with quality veterens(is what a team needs in the postseason).

What do you guys think of the Bears addressing their CB needs via Free Agency? There are a lot of names on the list: Woodson, Law, W.Allen, Clements (RFA) to name a few. I think that they could sign one of these guys to fill the spot.

:popcorn:

WR-We are pretty good, we have experience Moose and very talented youth in Bradley/berrian/gage/currie. We are better at this position than most think. Talent needs to develop and Berrian has showed he is a playmaker(catches late in the season and the gamewinner against Detriot that wasn't called a td). In a run based offense having 4 or 5 very talented WR's is not a priority. However, if we could find a slot/possesion/veteren WR for cheap, I would do it. There are many of them out there. Why not sign a Johnnie Morton for the league minimum and then if he can't hack it, cut him in training camp. But if we sign Randle el and the young WR's develop(as I believe) then it is just wasted money.

TE- The Desmond Clark project is over, he is not going to be the TE that we hoped(although he was a Pro Bowl alternate, i believe due to injuries). But we should not cut him, for we need veteren leadership at this position. But we do need to add some talent here, in a bad way. Jeb Pultzier(from the Broncos) would be a decent addition, along with Leonard Pope. Pope is a better fit than Vernon Davis because he is a huge guy that can run block. I would give up .2 tenths in a forty for a guy that is about 4 inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier. But yet athletic enough to get open and stretch the middle of the field for the passing game. Look at some of the best running games in the NFL, KC=Gonzalez SD=Gates ATL=Crumpler PIT=Heath Miller BALT=Heap INDY=Dallas Clark SEA=Jeremy Stevens NYG=Shockey DAL=Whitten......is this a trend guys? Yes, having that great TE will help out the passing game AND the running game. This is our Number one need in the offseason and Leonard Pope is the guy!

OL-Is looking terrific by some great moves from Jerry Angelo. He is shoring up all of the backups and making it a good situation for the future. Ruben Brown will be gone soon, so then Metcalf, Garza, Friedman can step in with experience and not miss a beat. John St. Clair can be a swing tackle and fill in for either side for injury as well as Steve Edwards who could also fill in at guard and Q. Mitchell. Only way we address this position is through the draft in the late rounds or if in round 3, a guy slips to us.

DL-This appears to be our strongest position on the team. However, I think this could be a need area. M. Haynes is likely gone, or we should move him to DT(which I don't think will happen). But our DE's look good, perhaps a qualtity backup, if easily obtained. But here is where it gets interesting, Tommie Harris is the man. Ian Scott proved that he can start and be a force, but is a restricted FA I believe. Tank Johnson showed promise and then gets in trouble with the law. Boone....has flashes but is the oldest of the bunch and could be cut! I think we could add a quality DT here and make sure that this position doesn't wear down at the end of the year. I think we should add....Chris Hovan...talented...yes...knows the division...yes...cheap...possibly...a veteren...yes.

LB-We have the best core of LB's in the NFL. Resign Hillenmeyer(cheap) and they don't worry about it. Reese, Odom, and Hunter are all still relatively young and developing. We can't have 3 high priced LBer's. Resign Briggs to a long term deal and then we are fine here.

DB's-Now everyone wants to jump all over tillman, who was severely effected by the NFL rule change for Cb's. However, on most of his bad plays this season the saftey was out of position. Azumah is done and Vasher is a stud. Can we add a veteren CB....yes.....does it need to be an expensive Charles Woodson type guy....no.....guys that come to mind here...Jamar Fletcher/Willie Williams/Eric Warfield/Reggie Howard. But the real need comes in at saftey, where the cover 2 system needs speed. Harris was a great draft pick for the bears and we all know Mike Brown. However, Brown can't stay healthy the past two seasons and Harris appears better suited to play Brown's SS position. If we can significantly upgrade this position....and add a veteren or two....Our defense will go to a whole new level. The reason is because Steve Smith would be handled with more easy as would Galloway and those 2 Td's the Browns had late in the 4th quarter. So a guy like Adam Archaleta(who has played for lovie smith before) comes to mind, perhaps a Tebucky Jones or Tank Williams as well.

My last offseason wish...might be a stretch...but would most certainly ease many bears fans fears. His name Adam Vinateri. He kicks in cold weather, is very experienced(aka kick in the snow vs the raiders, 2 game winning super bowl kicks) and would be well worth the money.

So to recap...3rd String QB, veteren WR in the mold of a Johnnie Morton or Marty Booker(if released), Jeb Putzier, Leonard Pope, Chris Hovan, a cheap CB like Jamar Fletcher, a good saftey such as Adam Archuleta, and Adam Vinateri.

That is not an expensive offseason but fills the needs with quality veterens(is what a team needs in the postseason).
:goodposting: benson_will_lead_the_way:

Your analysis is solid, especially going against the popular notion that O-line is high priority. The argument for an upgrade at safety is something that hasn't been discussed much here. Between Brown, McGowan, Harris, and Johnson, it seems like the Bears have 4 strong safeties. They're all hard hitters who lack top end speed. A fast safety does seem to be in order.

The cover-2 defense generally calls for CBs that are physical enough to provide run support and redirect receivers with the knowledge that over the top safety support is available. I think Charles Tillman fits the mold. He just had a couple of bad plays at the worst possible time. But after Tillman and Vasher, there's nothing. With the abundance of 3 WR sets these days, CB has got to be a priority over safety. I'd mildly adjust your offseason priority list to:

Priority-TE, CB, Safety, WR, QB, K, DT

:goodposting: benson_will_lead_the_way:

Your analysis is solid, especially going against the popular notion that O-line is high priority. The argument for an upgrade at safety is something that hasn't been discussed much here. Between Brown, McGowan, Harris, and Johnson, it seems like the Bears have 4 strong safeties. They're all hard hitters who lack top end speed. A fast safety does seem to be in order.

The cover-2 defense generally calls for CBs that are physical enough to provide run support and redirect receivers with the knowledge that over the top safety support is available. I think Charles Tillman fits the mold. He just had a couple of bad plays at the worst possible time. But after Tillman and Vasher, there's nothing. With the abundance of 3 WR sets these days, CB has got to be a priority over safety. I'd mildly adjust your offseason priority list to:

Priority-TE, CB, Safety, WR, QB, K, DT
What hurt Tillman the most is the rule change for CB's.....he is physical and it took away from those types of CB's.....think about it...if the rule change didn't take place, would little WR's(Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Joey Galloway) succeed as much as they do? I don't think so, I believe that we need a speed CB.....one possibility is moving Tillman to Saftey b/c he would have speed at that position...but I would rather keep him at CB. Also I take it that you meant that Defensive Line is a need and I went across the grain? just making sure.

Per KFFL:

Bears | Could be interested in Frerotte as backup QBMon, 6 Mar 2006 12:31:40 -0800Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Chicago Bears are considering Miami Dolphins QB Gus Frerotte as a potential backup to starting QB Rex Grossman, according to a report from the Chicago Tribune. Frerotte could draw interest from the Bears if he is allowed to enter free agency.

Resign Jerry Azumah. Draft TE. Bring Isaac Bruce and Gus Frerrotte to town.

Is that affordable?
I don't know if Bruce would be worth it. He could provide stability for Grossman and allow Moose to settle in at #2 where he can produce, but he'll probably be expensive.

So the Bears sign Griese to a 5 year deal which to me means if Rex get's hurt it's Greise's job to lose.

I'm still not buying the TE with their 1st pick. I really think that it's BPA, I would not be surprised to see them draft a CB. Any thoughts on who might be available at #26?

Users who are viewing this thread