What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears Interested in Edge? (2 Viewers)

3nOut

Footballguy
Accoring to The Chicago Sun-Times, the Bears might be interested in Edge???

If the Bears choose to address receiver rather than running back in the first round, they could make several moves to create salary-cap room for running back Edgerrin James, whom the Indianapolis Colts are shopping.James will want a deal similar to what Clinton Portis got from the Washington Redskins last year, and $12 million to $15 million in bonus money is a fortune for a back with six years of wear and tear. Before doing anything, the Bears would demand to inspect James' reconstructed left knee.
If so, what will they do with Thomas Jones? I can't see an RBBC with Edge. Do they resign A-Train (he's going to be a backup somewhere else anyway) and trade away TJ? I don't get this. Once again, I say resign A-Train, trade down in the draft and get a WR AND TE, and get RB next year (but I wouldn't be upset with Mike Williams at #4). If you can't resign A-Train, then draft the best RB with #4.

Interesting, but is it more than speculation?

The Bears attempt to mimic the Chiefs offense is not going according to plan yet, Edge would be much more capable of the Priest-role than TJ is, and he'd demand the respect allowing Moose and whomever to get open.

TJ should remain in Chi, as a backup, while Train heads to Seattle, and Alexander heads south to Miami. (pure speculation)

Interesting, but is it more than speculation?

The Bears attempt to mimic the Chiefs offense is not going according to plan yet, Edge would be much more capable of the Priest-role than TJ is, and he'd demand the respect allowing Moose and whomever to get open.

TJ should remain in Chi, as a backup, while Train heads to Seattle, and Alexander heads south to Miami. (pure speculation)
The Bears attempt to mimic KC ended when they fired Terry Shea. Ron Turner isnt going to try an implement the same type offense.
:bag: I don't keep track of the Bears. :bag: Anyway, Edge >>>>> T Jones

Chicago would be better keeping TJ the starter and aquiring other needs. I mean EDGE is good but they could use the money elsewhere.

Maybe some Bears fans can enlighten me a bit. Thomas Jones averaged 4 yards per carry behind a half ### Oline, on a team that lost its starting QB and didnt have a WR on their roster who is qualified to play in the3 CFL. He laso caught 56 passes and scored 7 TD's, and did this all in 13 games. What is it about Jones the Bears dont like that they are are trying to replace him just a year after getting him?

Just sounds to me like Rosenhaus is really beating the bushes for his client...
That is what a good agent would do. That said, it is clear that James views this moment in time as his last chance to get a big payday. Take that however you will, but it is clear to me that he cares more about the money than winning, so 49ers and Bears need apply, if there are interested.As a 49er fan, however, I don't want my team trading for James. Shocking, maybe, but I can't see shelling out for James unless you are a couple players away from contending, and we all know the 49ers are a long way from there.

Maybe some Bears fans can enlighten me a bit. Thomas Jones averaged 4 yards per carry behind a half ### Oline, on a team that lost its starting QB and didnt have a WR on their roster who is qualified to play in the3 CFL. He laso caught 56 passes and scored 7 TD's, and did this all in 13 games. What is it about Jones the Bears dont like that they are are trying to replace him just a year after getting him?
They aren't replacing him. The organization is enamored with him, and rightfully so. The only question I have about TJ is whether he can get and stay healthy for a full 16. If he can, I have no doubt that he is statistically a top-10 back or better. (Consider the games last year where he was at full health and got 20 or more carries - probably puts him statistically at the top 5).

Chicago would be better keeping TJ the starter and aquiring other needs. I mean EDGE is good but they could use the money elsewhere.
:yes: Seriously. TJ is fine, they have more pressing needs.

What is it about Jones the Bears dont like that they are are trying to replace him just a year after getting him?
As per above, it appears that there are some questions about how well he'll do (and hold up) in more of a smashmouth running game under Turner.

But don't you remember? He sucked in Arizona 5 years ago! Lots of people on this board still live in the past when they discuss Thomas Jones.Seriously, the guy performed very well last year. Combined with his finish in Tampa Bay in 2003, he's taken huge steps at fulfilling the potential that comes with a guy with his skill set.

Any team SHOULD be interested in Edge, so this isn't news to me. When push comes to shove, they've got much more pressing needs to fill.

Jones was really the lone bright spot in the offense. He played in 14 games, rushed for 7 TD's, caught 50+ balls and combined for over 1400 yeards. That's not too shabby for a crap-tacular offense. They have to be thrilled with him, I think. He proved himself to be the only viable weapon on that offense. I think if Grossman can recover, TJ can be effective as he proved it in the 3 games he played with Rex.Replacing TJ would be nice, of course, but they have bigger fish to fry...

With the amount of coin they've spent on Urlacher, Tait, Ogunleye and Muhammad in the past few years, and the fact that Grossman is probably up for a new contract in '06 or '07, I highly doubt the Bears will be players for the services of Edge.

He laso caught 56 passes and scored 7 TD's, and did this all in 13 games. What is it about Jones the Bears dont like that they are are trying to replace him just a year after getting him?
Your answer was in your very own question. 7 TDs in 13 games is better than you or I'd do, but that's a very pedestrian NFL season.

They aren't replacing him. The organization is enamored with him, and rightfully so. The only question I have about TJ is whether he can get and stay healthy for a full 16. If he can, I have no doubt that he is statistically a top-10 back or better. (Consider the games last year where he was at full health and got 20 or more carries - probably puts him statistically at the top 5).
to bad that the NFL season isn't comprised of 3 games.show me how Thomas Jones, one of the most underachieving players in the NFL has the make-up to be a top 10 (or in your hopeful case top 5 running back)?

:suds:

Last edited by a moderator:
He laso caught 56 passes and scored 7 TD's, and did this all in 13 games. What is it about Jones the Bears dont like that they are are trying to replace him just a year after getting him?
Your answer was in your very own question. 7 TDs in 13 games is better than you or I'd do, but that's a very pedestrian NFL season.
Edgerrin James 9 TD's in 16 gamesClinton Portis 5 TD's in 16 games

Amhan Green 7 TD's in 15 games

Jamal Lewis 7 TD's in 12 games

Fred Taylor 2 TD's in 14 games

Kevin Jones 5 TD's in 15 games

Deuce Mcallister 9 TD's in 14 games

And considering how bad the Bears' offense was, it's even more impressive.

This little snippet from the Sun Times was just some reporter speculating. They arent going after Edge

to bad that the NFL season isn't comprised of 3 games.

show me how Thomas Jones, one of the most underachieving players in the NFL has the make-up to be a top 10 (or in your hopeful case top 5 running back)?

:suds:
In the 5 games where Thomas Jones got at least 20 carries last year:
09/12 Detroit - 67 rushing, 38 receiving, 2 TDs

09/19 @Green Bay- 152 rushing, 1 TD

09/26 @Minnesota - 110 rushing, 71 receiving, 2 TDs

10/17 Washington - 97 rushing, 22 receiving

12/26 @Detroit - 109 rushing, 34 receiving, 1 TD
That's more than 100 rushing yards and more than a TD per game, on average, in addition to some very nice receiving totals.Not many guys do that.

what were the numbers in the other 8 games?edited to say 8 games not 9

how about the fact that the Bears may be looking elsewhere (Edge or in the draft) because Thomas Jones is a guy who every year is hurt and misses games..do you think, or better yet do the Bears think that Thomas Jones can play a full season, let alone keep up with this wicked pace you have him on?3 big games early on last year, 7 blah games in the middle and a nice game or two to finish the season.... My question is: is this the kind of back you want carrying your franchise? Because Edge is

how about the fact that the Bears may be looking elsewhere (Edge or in the draft) because Thomas Jones is a guy who every year is hurt and misses games..

do you think, or better yet do the Bears think that Thomas Jones can play a full season, let alone keep up with this wicked pace you have him on?

3 big games early on last year, 7 blah games in the middle and a nice game or two to finish the season....

My question is: is this the kind of back you want carrying your franchise? Because Edge is
Yes, Edge is better than Jones. No one will debate that. The point is that the Bears have much bigger concerns than RB. But Thomas Jones is more than capable of being an above average every down back. He can run, catch, block, and pound it in from the one. He WAS the offense last year and managed to put up respectable numbers. Give him anything resembling a supporting cast and see what he can do before you write him off completely.

to be fair, lets look at the games in between his big 3 early and his big 2 latePhilly 13 for 32 plus 6 for 40Washington 24 for 97 and 2 for 22Tampa 13 for 52 and 3 for 13SanFran 1 for 1yardNYG DNPTenn DNPIndy 18 for 59 and 4 for 23Dallas 14 for 46 and 6 for 48Minn 15 for 49 and 3 for 22Jax 15 for 40 and 7 for 37one touchdown in any of the game between week 4 and week 14receiving numbers are pretty nice but the rushing #'s are all pedestrian, he was never over 4.0 yards per carry in ANY of those games and most of them he hovered in the 3.0 range

Yes, Edge is better than Jones. No one will debate that. The point is that the Bears have much bigger concerns than RB. But Thomas Jones is more than capable of being an above average every down back. He can run, catch, block, and pound it in from the one. He WAS the offense last year and managed to put up respectable numbers. Give him anything resembling a supporting cast and see what he can do before you write him off completely.
Otis seems to imply that he is as goods as Edge is, top 10 back, maybe a top 5:

Aside from Kevin Jones, all the guys on this list have had better seasons than these 2004 stats.We've seen the best of Thomas Jones already.

how about the fact that the Bears may be looking elsewhere (Edge or in the draft) because Thomas Jones is a guy who every year is hurt and misses games..

do you think, or better yet do the Bears think that Thomas Jones can play a full season, let alone keep up with this wicked pace you have him on?

3 big games early on last year, 7 blah games in the middle and a nice game or two to finish the season....

My question is: is this the kind of back you want carrying your franchise? Because Edge is
Like I said in my original post above, I question Thomas Jones ability to stay healthy for a full season, and that is the only thing I question. IF he can, he is a top-10 or possibly top-5 RB.

Yes, Edge is better than Jones.  No one will debate that.  The point is that the Bears have much bigger concerns than RB. 

But Thomas Jones is more than capable of being an above average every down back.  He can run, catch, block, and pound it in from the one.  He WAS the offense last year and managed to put up respectable numbers.  Give him anything resembling a supporting cast and see what he can do before you write him off completely.
With the caveat, yet again, that he has yet to prove he can remain healthy for a full season, IF HE COULD, put him in that Indy offense and I would not be surprised to see him match Edge's production. Hell, during the games where he got enough carries, he practically matched Edge's production in 2004, and that was on a BAD offense as opposed to one of the best in the league.

how about the fact that  the Bears may be looking elsewhere (Edge or in the draft) because Thomas Jones is a guy who every year is hurt and misses games..

Like I said in my original post above, I question Thomas Jones ability to stay healthy for a full season, and that is the only thing I question. IF he can, he is a top-10 or possibly top-5 RB.
And if my Aunt had a d*ck, she'd be my Uncle! Seriously guys, Thomas Jones is what he is... he's not all of sudden gonna turn into Emmitt Smith.He's a nice back, but a back who can't stay healthy or string together a consistent season.

Yes, Edge is better than Jones.  No one will debate that.  The point is that the Bears have much bigger concerns than RB. 

But Thomas Jones is more than capable of being an above average every down back.  He can run, catch, block, and pound it in from the one.  He WAS the offense last year and managed to put up respectable numbers.  Give him anything resembling a supporting cast and see what he can do before you write him off completely.
With the caveat, yet again, that he has yet to prove he can remain healthy for a full season, IF HE COULD, put him in that Indy offense and I would not be surprised to see him match Edge's production. Hell, during the games where he got enough carries, he practically matched Edge's production in 2004, and that was on a BAD offense as opposed to one of the best in the league.
how many beers did you have today? :suds:

Top 10? Yes, I think he can be if he can stay healthy. I think he would've been last year had Grossman not gone down. Top 5? That's pushing it. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

And to be fair, I don't know that many RBs could've done much better than TJ last year with Quinn and Hutchinson at QB, no WR threat whatsoever, and a banged up OL. Like I've said, he's got the talent and he's started to show it. Give him any help at all and you'll see his numbers increase in a big way. When the Bears fall behind and he gets 10-15 sporadic carries throughout the game, I don't expect to see big numbers from him.

Top 10? Yes, I think he can be if he can stay healthy. I think he would've been last year had Grossman not gone down. Top 5? That's pushing it. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

And to be fair, I don't know that many RBs could've done much better than TJ last year with Quinn and Hutchinson at QB, no WR threat whatsoever, and a banged up OL. Like I've said, he's got the talent and he's started to show it. Give him any help at all and you'll see his numbers increase in a big way. When the Bears fall behind and he gets 10-15 sporadic carries throughout the game, I don't expect to see big numbers from him.
10 guys, hell I can name 20! But here's 10...Holmes, Tomlinson, Dillon, Alexander, McGahee, McAllister, James, Martin, Lewis, Green.

Don't forget Dom Davis, Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Taylor, Bell, C. Brown, Rudi, Tiki, Westbrook... Thomas Jones would be lucky to be considered in the Top 20.

You give Artose Pinner 20-30 carries a game, and his numbers will go up too. Nice logic there.

And if my Aunt had a d*ck, she'd be my Uncle! Seriously guys, Thomas Jones is what he is... he's not all of sudden gonna turn into Emmitt Smith.

He's a nice back, but a back who can't stay healthy or string together a consistent season.
this is exactly my point with Thomas Jones.. he has never proven he can be healthy and anybody who points to three or four games and tries to prorate that for a season has serious misconceptions of what it takes to be a top caliber back. In the NFL it takes more than three big games (Against pretty bad defenses I might add) before an fantasy football geek like me is going to say you are going to be top 5 at your position and I kind of think that the Bears organization would not be silly to be looking at a more dependable backCan Thomas Jones be the next Walter Payton? possibly but I highly doubt it

Can Thomas Jones be the next Adrian Murrell? much more Likely

And if my Aunt had a d*ck, she'd be my Uncle! Seriously guys, Thomas Jones is what he is... he's not all of sudden gonna turn into Emmitt Smith.

He's a nice back, but a back who can't stay healthy or string together a consistent season.
this is exactly my point with Thomas Jones.. he has never proven he can be healthy and anybody who points to three or four games and tries to prorate that for a season has serious misconceptions of what it takes to be a top caliber back. In the NFL it takes more than three big games (Against pretty bad defenses I might add) before an fantasy football geek like me is going to say you are going to be top 5 at your position and I kind of think that the Bears organization would not be silly to be looking at a more dependable backCan Thomas Jones be the next Walter Payton? possibly but I highly doubt it

Anbody remember Maurice Smith? He had a couple of nice games after Jamal went down. He's stil playing now, right? :rolleyes:

Aside from Kevin Jones, all the guys on this list have had better seasons than these 2004 stats.We've seen the best of Thomas Jones already.
We have? Even if this were true, which i doubt if Grossman stays healthy ad the addition of Muhammad Jones should be able to at least improve a bit on last year. Even if he does not, i will take last years numbers projected over 16 games.

10 guys, hell I can name 20! But here's 10...Holmes, Tomlinson, Dillon, Alexander, McGahee, McAllister, James, Martin, Lewis, Green.

Don't forget Dom Davis, Julius Jones, Kevin Jones, Taylor, Bell, C. Brown, Rudi, Tiki, Westbrook... Thomas Jones would be lucky to be considered in the Top 20.

You give Artose Pinner 20-30 carries a game, and his numbers will go up too. Nice logic there.
Most of the guys you listed there would've done no better than Jones on the Bears offense in 2004. Thomas Jones averaged over 100 yards of offense per game with no passing game and an injured OL. He doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves for the job he did last year.

We have? Even if this were true, which i doubt if Grossman stays healthy ad the addition of Muhammad Jones should be able to at least improve a bit on last year. Even if he does not, i will take last years numbers projected over 16 games.
But I don't think Jones is gonna get the chance to show you that, bro. Chicago sounds like they have a contingency plan going on.

to be fair, lets look at the games in between his big 3 early and his big 2 late

Philly 13 for 32 plus 6 for 40

Washington 24 for 97 and 2 for 22

Tampa 13 for 52 and 3 for 13

SanFran 1 for 1yard

NYG DNP

Tenn DNP

Indy 18 for 59 and 4 for 23

Dallas 14 for 46 and 6 for 48

Minn 15 for 49 and 3 for 22

Jax 15 for 40 and 7 for 37

one touchdown in any of the game between week 4 and week 14

receiving numbers are pretty nice but the rushing #'s are all pedestrian, he was never over 4.0 yards per carry in ANY of those games and most of them he hovered in the 3.0 range
LT2 rushed for 2.9 YPC or less in 1/3 of his games last year, guess he is pedestrian as well.

to be fair, lets look at the games in between his big 3 early and his big 2 late

Philly  13 for 32  plus 6 for 40

Washington  24 for 97 and 2 for 22

Tampa  13 for 52 and 3 for 13

SanFran  1 for 1yard

NYG  DNP

Tenn  DNP

Indy  18 for 59 and 4 for 23

Dallas  14 for 46 and 6 for 48

Minn  15 for 49 and 3 for 22

Jax    15 for 40 and 7 for 37

receiving numbers are pretty nice but the rushing #'s are all pedestrian, he was never over 4.0 yards per carry in ANY of those games and most of them he hovered in the 3.0 range
LT2 rushed for 2.9 YPC or less in 1/3 of his games last year, guess he is pedestrian as well.
But Tomlinson has showed a level of consistncy that Jones never has. How many games has LT2 ever missed?Trying to compare Thomas Jones to LaDanian Tomlinson is an insult to Tomlinson. Not even in the same stratosphere.

You're missing one important point.It's not like I am haphazardly taking the best 5 games and saying that he can do that over a full season simply BECAUSE.

After week 3, at which point Thomas Jones was leading all fantasy scorers, Grossman went out and there were several key O-line injuries - suddenly that offense immediately became substantially worse. Wouldn't you know it, surprise surprise, suddenly the leading fantasy RB's numbers fall off.

Coincidence?

Nope.

Tell ya what, let's sub in Hutchinson for Peyton Manning, take out 3 of Indy's starting offensive linemen, and then see where Edge's numbers go.

I'm not just being some noobie fantasy football player with wishful thinking and no reasoning to back up a haphazard analysis of random games to project over a best-case full-season scenario. I am taking what are basically two different offenses - the Bears WITH their QB and starting Oline, and the Bears without both, and comparing TJ's numbers in those two offenses. I see no reason why the former offense won't show up in 2005, and an improved version at that, with a real recieving threat in Mush.

I stand by my prediction that if Thomas Jones is healthy and has a healthy O-line and starting QB he will have a top-10 or top-5 season.

The only reason I've seen so far for why this won't happen is that he has never done it before. Past performance isn't always the best indicator of future performance.

i smell a sig-betOtis,if Thomas Jones finishes in the top 10, I will post the followingThomas Jones is well on his way to be the next Walter Paytonif he finished in the top 5, I will post Thomas Jones is the next Walter PaytonIF he does not finish in the top 10 you will post the following as your sig for 1 yearThomas Jones is the next Adrian Murrell

Philly   13 for 32  plus 6 for 40

Washington  24 for 97 and 2 for 22

Tampa  13 for 52 and 3 for 13

SanFran   1 for 1yard

NYG  DNP

Tenn  DNP

Indy  18 for 59 and 4 for 23

Dallas  14 for 46 and 6 for 48

Minn   15 for 49 and 3 for 22

Jax     15 for 40 and 7 for 37

But Tomlinson has showed a level of consistncy that Jones never has. How many games has LT2 ever missed?Trying to compare Thomas Jones to LaDanian Tomlinson is an insult to Tomlinson. Not even in the same stratosphere.
Please dont assume i was comparing the two, i was simply trying to point out that even the best RB in the league has sub par games. Fact is this, Thomas Jones put up VERY respectable numbers in perhaps the worst situation a RB could be in. He was clearly the bright spot of that offense and his numbers could definetly improve if the Bears improve his surroundings, which they already appear to be doing.

Burning Sensation, Anthony Thomas put up some decent numbers in those games.. playing behind the same offensive line and the same collection of QB's.. how do we explain that?

i smell a sig-bet

Otis,

if Thomas Jones finishes in the top 10, I will post the following

Thomas Jones is well on his way to be the next Walter Payton

if he finished in the top 5, I will post

Thomas Jones is the next Walter Payton

IF he does not finish in the top 10 you will post the following as your sig for 1 year

Thomas Jones is the next Adrian Murrell
You're on if you give me the following contingencies:-If he gets traded to another team, the bet is off.

-If he misses more than 4 games this season.

I don't want him breaking his leg or being traded to Arizona and then you #####ing that I need to put in your sig. The bet is based on him being in relatively good health and in the situation that he is in today. I can't predict the future, but I can stand by all the posts I've made in this thread.

And I like your suggested sigs, but one addition in the sig if I win - below the line about Thomas Jones you must put a clickable link to this post which reads "I HEART THOMAS JONES"

At season's end, you will be :bag: and I will be :rotflmao:

Users who are viewing this thread