What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears RB Situation 2006? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Per sportsline:

No backfield committee for Bears Thomas Jones, RB CHINews: The Chicago Tribune reports Bears head coach Lovie Smith will not utilize a backfield committee next season, so either Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson will be a featured back. "It works itself out," Smith said.Analysis: Jones recorded his best season as a pro and has to be considered the favorite for the top spot at this point, though Benson is talented and has some potential sleeper value.
Good news for Thomas Jones and Ced Benson owners. One of them will be a great option. :thumbup:

By the way, for those keeping score around here, I have been VERY high on Thomas Jones for years, and I have always thought Benson would bust.

Let's hope the trend started last year continues.

Signed,

Long-time Thomas Jones owner

Here's a link to the Bears message board that talks about it, it seems that he didn't say that he wouldn't use a RBBC and sportsline is taking what they want out of it:

http://bears.hosttown.com/index.php?showtopic=113768

Don Pierson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said there is no reason to project a playing rotation with starting RB Thomas Jones and RB Cedric Benson. Usually when a team tries to use two backs, one ends up getting the vast majority of work. "It works itself out," Smith said. "We know it's a long year. History tells us we're going to need two or three running backs to have the type of season we want." He believes Benson certainly will get more than his 67 rookie carries. Smith disputed the notion Jones and Benson aren't the best of buddies, which either could help or hurt the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is the complete article that it was taken from:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...ack=1&cset=true

As for Benson, Smith said there is no reason to project a playing rotation with starter Thomas Jones, who carried more than 300 times (314) for the first time in his six-year career. Usually, when a team tries to use two backs, one ends up getting the vast majority of work.

"It works itself out," Smith said. "We know it's a long year. History tells us we're going to need two or three running backs to have the type of season we want."

He believes Benson certainly will get more than his 67 rookie carries.

"That was the plan this past year," he said. "We're planning on that. Cedric is planning on going into training camp fighting and winning the job. It's like Brian Griese and any other player in a backup role right now."

Smith disputed the notion Jones and Benson aren't the best of buddies, which either could help or hurt the competition.

"It's not like they go into the room each day and they're not talking," Smith said. "Thomas is helping Cedric. They're friends who get along just like any other position does competing for a spot. There are only a few guys who are good buddies, really.

"Cedric can't wait to start it over again and go from there. We wouldn't want him if he didn't want to be the guy."

As for Benson, Smith said there is no reason to project a playing rotation with starter Thomas Jones, who carried more than 300 times (314) for the first time in his six-year career. Usually, when a team tries to use two backs, one ends up getting the vast majority of work.

"It works itself out," Smith said. "We know it's a long year. History tells us we're going to need two or three running backs to have the type of season we want."

"That was the plan this past year," he said. "We're planning on that. Cedric is planning on going into training camp fighting and winning the job. It's like Brian Griese and any other player in a backup role right now."

Smith disputed the notion Jones and Benson aren't the best of buddies, which either could help or hurt the competition.

"It's not like they go into the room each day and they're not talking," Smith said. "Thomas is helping Cedric. They're friends who get along just like any other position does competing for a spot. There are only a few guys who are good buddies, really.

"Cedric can't wait to start it over again and go from there. We wouldn't want him if he didn't want to be the guy."
I interpret the highlighted comments to mean that Jones and Benson are not entering camp dead-even in Lovie's eyes, that Jones remains the starter unless Benson proves otherwise. I think that will be very hard to do, since Jones has gained the Bears' trust with his 2006 performance. I think Jones will enter the regular season as #1.

I interpret the highlighted comments to mean that Jones and Benson are not entering camp dead-even in Lovie's eyes, that Jones remains the starter unless Benson proves otherwise. I think that will be very hard to do, since Jones has gained the Bears' trust with his 2006 performance. I think Jones will enter the regular season as #1.
I don't see why he shouldn't. Thomas Jones was a top-ten back last year, and put up great numbers as the only threat in a terrible offense without its first string QB. If they can improve incrementally this year (and I see no reason they can't), Jones can be even more effective. The bottom line is that Benson's upside is no better than what we already have seen from Thomas Jones.

The bottom line is that Benson's upside is no better than what we already have seen from Thomas Jones.
So, Thomas Jones is capable of more than we have already seen but Benson isn't? Just silly.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Thomas Jones will enter training camp as the #1. But Benson is going to get more of a workload than last year, and like Lovie said it will just work itself out. Bottom line - Jones should at minimum see Benson cut into his carries. And he could possibly lose his job entirely.

First let me say that I do have Benson on a team, and am hoping he'll win the job. Having said that, Ill try and stay objective. I would expect neither of these guys will be considered the starter entering anything. Thomas Jones started last year....again, LAST year. Just as good coaches that win championships will tell you they won it last year and it means nothing in the present or the future, the same will apply to a coach looking to improve his team. Thomas Jones had a nice year, but he averaged 4.2 and didnt score double digit TDs. Neither of those #s is overly impressive. If coach Smith is looking to improve his team, then he's certainly not about to pencil in Jones as a starter if Benson is the better back. It sounds like he's approaching it as a good coach should....the job will go to the best player who gives the team the best chance to win...whoever that may be regardless of what happened LAST season. The Bears did nothing special last year. Sure, they made the playoffs and won a very weak division. What else? They didnt win any playoff games. There is still alot of room for improvement. The running attack may be one of those areas. We'll see. We can beat the heck out of the dead horse that is NFL contract reality, but guys dont get paid 6 or 7 million $$ to already be penciled in as backups in April.

The bottom line is that Benson's upside is no better than what we already have seen from Thomas Jones.
So, Thomas Jones is capable of more than we have already seen but Benson isn't? Just silly.
I did not say that. Re-read my statement.To rephrase, Cedric Benson's potential upside is no better than what we have already seen Thomas Jones actually do.

I did not say that. Re-read my statement.To rephrase, Cedric Benson's potential upside is no better than what we have already seen Thomas Jones actually do.
You honestly dont think Cedric Benson is capable of scoring more than NINE TDs? What would lead you to believe this??

You honestly dont think Cedric Benson is capable of scoring more than NINE TDs? What would lead you to believe this??
Thomas Jones' numbers from last year were excellent considering the inept passing offense that surrounded him.

Thomas Jones' numbers from last year were excellent considering the inept passing offense that surrounded him.
Listen...single digit TDs and 4.2 are NOT excellent.....excellent is what Jamal Lewis did 2 years ago with the same level of garbage offense led by a ROOKIE named Kyle Boller who didnt have enough of a clue to know he didnt have a clue. 2000yds and double digit TDs with a scrub QB and no passing game....THAT was excellent. Jones year was nice by comparison. Lets raise our expectations a little and redefine here what excellence actually is.

To rephrase, Cedric Benson's potential upside is no better than what we have already seen Thomas Jones actually do.
Wha? I don't think that's the case at all. The UPSIDE of a top 5 NFL draft pick at RB is never 1300/9...Also TJ's 300 carries (still the most ever in his career) aren't exactly at the peak of NFL RBs either, and he hasn't shown he can handle any more as he's always banged up. Whether or not he reaches it, Benson's UPSIDE is certainlly a 370 carry, 1700 yard, 16 TD Eddie George type guy.TJ had a good year but c'mon....he didn't exactly put up breathtaking numbers and they're not better than most other players upsides by any means.

Listen...single digit TDs and 4.2 are NOT excellent.....excellent is what Jamal Lewis did 2 years ago with the same level of garbage offense led by a ROOKIE named Kyle Boller who didnt have enough of a clue to know he didnt have a clue. 2000yds and double digit TDs with a scrub QB and no passing game....THAT was excellent. Jones year was nice by comparison. Lets raise our expectations a little and redefine here what excellence actually is.
Jones didn't have Jamal's dominant offensive line. Also Thomas Jones did very well at the goalline last year. Seven of his Tds were from inside the 5. Only twice did the Bears fail to score a TD when he got a carry inside the 5.

Jones didn't have Jamal's dominant offensive line. Also Thomas Jones did very well at the goalline last year. Seven of his Tds were from inside the 5. Only twice did the Bears fail to score a TD when he got a carry inside the 5.
Very good and an admirable effort for Thomas, but there was a 700yard difference between Jamal's season 2 years ago and what Thomas did last year. So if Thomas' season was excellent what was Jamal's? or LJ's 21 TDs last year or SA's 28? All Im saying is that the performance was not excellent and there is definitely room for improvement by Jones or Benson or any other capable back stepping in there. Dont make out that Bears line to be a bunch of scrubs because they were far from that. Those guys are a bunch of maulers and theyre anchored by an All Pro center. You put the right back behind that line and theyd soon be viewed as dominant as well. Not to knock Thomas' efforts without merit, but he's a nice back who had a nice year and answered the bell when called upon. He scored 7 TDs inside the 5. Thats nice. He carried the ball over 300 times. Can he score from somewhere besides inside the 5? Maybe that's something Benson can provide for the Bears. Noone will know unless he's given the chance.....NO, unless he earns the right to play. if that kid wins the job and earns the right to play and beats out Jones in an open competition for the spot, then you may see something special come out of Benson.

If Jones becomes the clear starter this season, grab Benson in week 2 in dynasty leagues.

Nope, but Thomas Jones is definitely capable. He just hasn't done it in - what, 6 years in the league? :lmao:

Whether or not TJ supporters like it, at some point the Bears are going to give Benson some opportunity. They are not going to let TJ run the ball exclusively for the next 2 years, hit FA, and still have no clue about what they have in their $35 million guy...

Most likely, this will be the year so they can actually examine some trade possibilities for Jones next season, something they are unable to do this year.

The injury really took him a step backwards. Had it not happened, I think Benson would be favored to start this year. I actually think the odds are fairly close. Thomas Jones means a lot to the passing game which needs its own improvements. So its not just Jones vs Benson. Its the need to be able to balance the offense. I dont expect that to happen yet without Jones. That missed playing time hurt Benson's chance.

The late signing really took him back more then the injury did. The job was Thomas Jones to lose. And I expect it will be again this year!

All you guys going crazy over your 1.2 or 1.3 rookie pick last year will have yet another year of waiting unless Thomas gets hurt.

Yet another example why to trade your studs for them top rookie picks. :no:

It is innappropriate to assume that Benson will be the feature back as a matter of time. He must prove himself, and will remain a backup or be labelled a bust if he doesn't. I think he has a good shot to prove his abilities, but you gotta admit that he has a difficult road ahead of him.

Nope, but Thomas Jones is definitely capable. He just hasn't done it in - what, 6 years in the league? :lmao:

Whether or not TJ supporters like it, at some point the Bears are going to give Benson some opportunity. They are not going to let TJ run the ball exclusively for the next 2 years, hit FA, and still have no clue about what they have in their $35 million guy...

Most likely, this will be the year so they can actually examine some trade possibilities for Jones next season, something they are unable to do this year.
Alright. You were nice enough to answer half the question....let's get the other half. No ability to get 10? Let's hear some logic....

The late signing really took him back more then the injury did. The job was Thomas Jones to lose. And I expect it will be again this year!

All you guys going crazy over your 1.2 or 1.3 rookie pick last year will have yet another year of waiting unless Thomas gets hurt.
I would say the injury hurt him just as much. If you recall when Benson got hurt TJ was hurt himself. I think there's a pretty good shot at this point that if Benson wins the starting gig it'll be because TJ got dinged up and missed a few games and Benson stepped in and looked good. That exact scenario looked to be coming to fruition last year when Benson went down with an injury himself.Waiting unless TJ gets hurt? I'm no Benson owner but that looks decent for them considering I don't know that TJ has gone through a season without getting hurt yet..

Yet another example why to trade your studs for them top rookie picks. :no:
And there are a thousand examples of the opposite. Just think you could've gotten a proven top performer like Charlie Garner in 2000 rather than using that pesky rookie pick on some guy named Tomlinson..

Per sportsline:

No backfield committee for Bears

Thomas Jones, RB CHI

News: The Chicago Tribune reports Bears head coach Lovie Smith will not utilize a backfield committee next season, so either Thomas Jones or Cedric Benson will be a featured back. "It works itself out," Smith said.

Analysis: Jones recorded his best season as a pro and has to be considered the favorite for the top spot at this point, though Benson is talented and has some potential sleeper value.
Good news for Thomas Jones and Ced Benson owners. One of them will be a great option. :thumbup:
TJ had his best season last year..in other words, could it be all downhill from here?funny how the guy ONLY does well b/c Benson is a moron and holds out in training camp,allowing the other guy to take the starting spot by default..

by the second day of camp, Benson should be starting...lol

cheap Bears ownership + HIGH draft pick + multi million $$ salary = BENSON STARTS.

Bears are the cheapest owners in all of football..they're not going to let that much money sit on the bench!!

That's just silly.
Exactly. How is Benson's upside limited to another player's previous performance? Fuzzy logic.
The two are unrelated.I do not think Benson is anything all that special, and I never have. Do a search in the threads from this time last year. I said categorically that Benson was most likely to bust of the three (he did not bust yet, but we'll see), my #1 guy was the ROY, and I also have been a huge Ronnie Brown fan despite the doubts many have.

My point is that I think Thomas Jones is far more talented than Benson. And I think that, at his best, Benson will have a season like Thomas Jones just did (under the same circumstances). Now, if the Bears offense starts lighting it up and has a balanced attack, and the blocking improves (by the way, the comparison's to Jamal Lewis' blocking unit of a few years ago are absolutely laughable, this is night and day), sure, Benson could put up better numbers under those conditions. But I think TJones would put up better numbers than Benson could.

Ultimately, I believe that Benson's upside is, at best, exactly what we have already seen from Thomas Jones, which is a very successful and productive back at the pro level, but not quite "elite."

Scout.com has Benson being given a chance to start so it seems everyone got a different opinion from the interview

Benson will have to be lights out in camp to win the job outright. Im not sure he has the internal drive to do it. I do agree with Tick - if Benson doesnt win the job, he will an EXCELLENT buy low early in the season.

It is innappropriate to assume that Benson will be the feature back as a matter of time.  He must prove himself, and will remain a backup or be labelled a bust if he doesn't.  I think he has a good shot to prove his abilities, but you gotta admit that he has a difficult road ahead of him.
It's also inappropriate to believe that the Bears will not give Benson the opportunity to prove himself by letting him at minimum share the load. Like Thomas Jones did when he was sucking for the Cardinals, Benson will have plenty of opportunities.

Benson will have to be lights out in camp to win the job outright. Im not sure he has the internal drive to do it. I do agree with Tick - if Benson doesnt win the job, he will an EXCELLENT buy low early in the season.
By the way, as much as I dislike Benson, I also agree with this completely. I don't have much faith in him, but, if he can be had cheap, what the heck, I'll always take a gamble on an early-drafted young RB.

Its so funny how these debates rage on in the offseason over two RBs that have very little common, are competing for the same spot, and are approaching their task each with a completely different perspective than the other...yet still the same. The young kid Benson is trying to win a job, the veteran Jones is trying to secure a future. This battle over the starting spot here is may be the hottest RB competition in the league. I cant think of too many other spots where the lead spot was so wide open. Possibly Houston once Bush is there, or Denver or even Indy. I think Bell and Rhodes are leading there. These 3 teams are similar in that they have a veteran with some experience and a taste of some success, but still with a starting position to be seeming out there for the taking. Im the most intrigued by Benson because this situation reminds me a little of the Larry Johnson situation with Priest. Johnson did nothing at all year 1, but you knew he had some skills and that it was just a matter of time. Year 2 didnt offer much more hope for LJ until Priest happened to go down and LJ eventually got the job done for a couple of games, until the real opporutunity came up last year. But Priest is a guy who was coming off back to back 24 and 27 TD seasons...then 14 in a half a season. Jones has had 9 in his best year, so relative to LJ's competiion for the job, this one is far more wide open than the KC job situation. I cant begin to compare LJ and Benson, but a couple of years ago noone would have thought to compare LJ to any of the top backs either. its funny how things work out.

Users who are viewing this thread