What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benefit guys cobra open enrollment etc al (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
So long story short. My wife after 30+ years is leaving her company. So we are obviously losing her insurance coverage. So looking into enrolling in mine as a QLE. The effective date would be sometime in October.

If I don't do anything how long would we be covered for 30 or 60 days?

I'm tempted to just wait until open enrollment or is that too big a window?

Premiums are usually pretax correct?

I'm sure I have some more questions but that's it for now

Tia

I’m an insurance agent. I’ll answer this as best I can with the information you’ve provided.

First and foremost DO NOT say no to an offer of cobra. You don’t have to say yes, but if you say no then that option is off the table. Just let the offer expire, you generally (legally) have 63 days I believe to accept or reject the offer from when it was delivered to you. Also, I’m assuming she works for a “large company” of over 20 employees, where cobra is federally mandated.

Second, if her last day is 10/5 - find out if your coverage will end (without cobra) at the end of that day, or at the end of that month. If it’s the end of that month (October), and you have 60* days of cobra offered, you can “float” the offer pretty much till the end of the year. If something happens, you can accept cobra retroactive back to when the coverage ended.

Also look into what your current deductible is, how much of it each of you has met, and when that deductible will reset (typically it’s with the calendar year, but not always). Do the same with the coverage from your employer.

Also, find out how much cobra will actually be - it might not be as bad as you think (or that bad compared to coverage through your employer).

Second, if her last day is 10/5 - find out if your coverage will end (without cobra) at the end of that day, or at the end of that month. If it’s the end of that month (October), and you have 60* days of cobra offered, you can “float” the offer pretty much till the end of the year. If something happens, you can accept cobra retroactive back to when the coverage ended.
This is what we did when my wife changed jobs earlier this year. Her last day at the old job was something like March 3rd, but her insurance with the old company expired March 30. She didn't start her new gig around April 20th or something. So we just didn't ever sign with Cobra.

We figured if something happened between March 30 and April 20 we would accept the Cobra and pay the premium.

I’m an insurance agent. I’ll answer this as best I can with the information you’ve provided.

First and foremost DO NOT say no to an offer of cobra. You don’t have to say yes, but if you say no then that option is off the table. Just let the offer expire, you generally (legally) have 63 days I believe to accept or reject the offer from when it was delivered to you. Also, I’m assuming she works for a “large company” of over 20 employees, where cobra is federally mandated.

Also look into what your current deductible is, how much of it each of you has met, and when that deductible will reset (typically it’s with the calendar year, but not always). Do the same with the coverage from your employer.
Was coming to post this. My experience is coverage will sometimes continue for the entire month of the last day worked.

Deductible is yearly. Need to check how far along we are.

My new insurance has no deductible

And that's why the premium is triple.

You have the perfectly worded answer from @matttyl - float COBRA until the first of the year and then get on yours (assuming your open enrollment is effective Jan 1)

And that's why the premium is triple.

You have the perfectly worded answer from @matttyl - float COBRA until the first of the year and then get on yours (assuming your open enrollment is effective Jan 1)
Yeah - I should also caveat. My wifes insurance is dirt cheap its why we stayed on it - the premium is like 200 a month. Not joking. I'm just going to get our Fed BCBS for 550 to keep into retirement. That was always the plan just sooner than expected

Hence it being three times as much. Just you and wife (no kids)?

Family

Family
Same advice as above, but with the added note - cobra is an individual right. That means if you float it, and something happens to you (but not your family), just you can accept cobra without the rest of the family members.

Was coming to post this. My experience is coverage will sometimes continue for the entire month of the last day worked.

This is absolutely key as well as confirming that the 60 (or 63) day opt in period runs from the last day of coverage and not from the termination date. Otherwise, you can’t float to Jan 1. In that case, you’d have to decide on December 5 whether to opt in to Cobra and make all the retroactive payments or risk getting hurt/sick during the balance of December without any coverage.

Typically I have found that a change in status (like a spouse losing insurance that you are on) allows you to start with your company outside of open enrollment time. There is normally a set of a few circumstances that allow you to add insurance (getting married/divorced, having a kid, losing insurance, etc). You may be able to just roll into your insurance immediatley because of this status change.

Typically I have found that a change in status (like a spouse losing insurance that you are on) allows you to start with your company outside of open enrollment time. There is normally a set of a few circumstances that allow you to add insurance (getting married/divorced, having a kid, losing insurance, etc). You may be able to just roll into your insurance immediatley because of this status change.
True. It's called a "qualifying life event". However, there is typically a time limit in which you can make those changes... usually 30 or 60 days.

True. It's called a "qualifying life event". However, there is typically a time limit in which you can make those changes... usually 30 or 60 days.
Um. ... I literally said it was a QLE in the OP lol.... just trying to figure out if I can just make into open enrollment/jan 1 on my wife's current plan or go through the steps of setting up paying a larger premium only to do open enrollment a month later

well her cobra quote was 2k a month lol so I guess I'll just sign up now
Just so you know, that’s means that your family’s coverage has always been $2k a month. It’s just that her employer has been paying the lions share of it for you. When you go to cobra, the entire amount is shifted to you, but the overall cost remains the same.

well her cobra quote was 2k a month lol so I guess I'll just sign up now
Just so you know, that’s means that your family’s coverage has always been $2k a month. It’s just that her employer has been paying the lions share of it for you. When you go to cobra, the entire amount is shifted to you, but the overall cost remains the same.
Yep - I saw the breakdown for my insurance also - so I had an idea - just hoping to avoid all the paper work and money since we are close to EOY. But it is what it is.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread