What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best and Worst of the Super Bowl (last 40 years) (1 Viewer)

nerangers

Footballguy
Fox Sports did a nice Best and Worst from the last 40 Super Bowls

Link to Full Article

Was a nice blast from the Past. I listed five of the sixteen list here. Opinions on these lists?

Best games:

1) SB XXXVI: Patriots 20, Rams 17

2) SB XXV: Giants 20, Bills 19

3) SB XXXIV: Rams 23, Titans 16

4) SB XXXII: Broncos 31, Packers 24

5) (tie) SB XXIII: 49ers 20, Bengals 16

(tie) SB XXXVIII: Patriots 32, Panthers 29

Best upsets:

1) SB III: Jets 16, Colts 7

2) SB XXXVI: Patriots 20, Rams 17

3) SB XXXII: Broncos 31, Packers 24

4) SB IV: Chiefs 23, Vikings 7

5) SB XVIII: Raiders 38, Redskins 9

Best player performance:

1) SB XXIX: Steve Young — 325 pass yards, 6 TD

2) SB XXIV: Joe Montana — 297 pass yards, 5 TD

3) SB XVIII: Marcus Allen — 191 rush yards, 2 TD

4) SB XIII: Terry Bradshaw — 318 pass yards, 4 TD

5) (tie) SB XXII: Doug Williams — 340 pass yards, 4 TD;

(tie) SB X: Lynn Swann — 4 catches, 161 yards, TD;

(tie) SB XXI: Phil Simms — 22-for-25, 268 yds, 3 TD

Best clutch play:

1) SB XXXIV: Mike Jones tackles Kevin Dyson one yard short of potential game-tying touchdown as time expires

2) (tie) SB XXXVI: Adam Vinatieri wins Super Bowl with 48-yard field goal on game's final play

(tie) SB XXXVIII: Adam Vinatieri wins Super Bowl with 41-yard field goal with :04 left

3) SB XXIII: Joe Montana hits John Taylor for game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl XXIII with 34 seconds left (NOTE: not No. 1 because there were still 34 ticks left)

4) SB V: Jim O'Brien kicks 32-yard field goal with five seconds left

5) (tie) SB XVII: John Riggins runs 43 yards for TD on fourth-and-one in fourth quarter to give Redskins lead for good;

(tie) SB XXXI: Desmond Howard's 99-yard kickoff return after Patriots closed to 27-21

Biggest choke play:

1) SB XIII: Jackie Smith drops certain TD pass on 3rd down, Dallas forced to kick field goal in 35-31 loss

2) SB XXV: Scott Norwood misses potential game-winning 47-yard field goal on game's final play

3) SB XXX: Neil O'Donnell throws second INT to Larry Brown in game's final minutes, sealing Steelers' loss

4) SB V: Craig Morton tosses interception to the Colts' Mike Curtis in the final moments, which sets up Jim O'Brien's game-winning kick

5) SB XXXVIII: After Carolina tied the game at 29-29 with just over a minute left, Panthers kicker John Kasay sent the ensuing kickoff out of bounds to give Tom Brady & the Patriots field position at the 40-yard line for game-winning drive

Also in the Article:

Greatest Super Bowl blowouts:

Most impressive Super Bowl defensive performance:

Best Super Bowl partier/performer:

Best signature (NFL Films) moment:

Best blooper:

Best halftime show:

Best Super Bowl postscripts:

Best Super Bowl quotes: :thumbup:

Best venues:

Best host cities:

Top five cities we'd like to see host Super Bowls, but know it will likely never happen:

I know you're a NE fan, so don't take it personally, but Montana to Taylor is much more of a clutch play than either Vinatieri FG.

"4) SB I: Officials re-kick opening kickoff of second half after TV networks miss initial kick during sideline interview"

Wow...

Interesting list, but it's far too heavy on recent Super Bowls, outside of the obvious classic stuff (Namath guarantee).

Last edited by a moderator:
Best player performance:

No Timmy Smith? No Troy Aikman (4 TDs in '92)??

Best player performance:

No Timmy Smith? No Troy Aikman (4 TDs in '92)??
Obviously Lynn Swann's godlike pedestrian performace is too extraordinary not to mention.

Isn't it amazing how the Warner to Bruce TD with under 2 minutes to go in SB34 has almost been forgotten because of the Mike Jones tackle of Kevin Dyson at the 1 as time elapsed?

Isn't it amazing how the Warner to Bruce TD with under 2 minutes to go in SB34 has almost been forgotten because of the Mike Jones tackle of Kevin Dyson at the 1 as time elapsed?
And I never got the impression he was that close. I really didn't think he was going to get in. The last quarter of that SB saved it from being one of the worst. The first half was unwatchable.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I never got the impression he was that close. I really didn't think he was going to get in. The last quarter of that SB saved it from being one of the worst. The first half was unwatchable.
If Jones hadn't grabbed his knee, Dyson likely would have broken was would have essentially been an arm tackle and scored. I agree that the first half was terrible. Same goes for the NE/Stl SB. No way were those games better than Den/GB or NYG/Buf. They might have had great finishes, but the 3 quarters leading up to both were terrible.

If Jones hadn't grabbed his knee, Dyson likely would have broken was would have essentially been an arm tackle and scored. I agree that the first half was terrible. Same goes for the NE/Stl SB. No way were those games better than Den/GB or NYG/Buf. They might have had great finishes, but the 3 quarters leading up to both were terrible.
I think the NE/STL Super Bowl was a great upset, but does not rank in the top five for how a whole Super Bowl was played out. I do think that the NE/CAR Super Bowl is worthy of that list. That SB was exciting whether you were a fan or not.

But he did grab his knee, tackling him.

Exactly. That was the point I was making. He really was that close to scoring, but a great play by Jones prevented it. Therefore, that play is clutch.

Exactly. That was the point I was making. He really was that close to scoring, but a great play by Jones prevented it. Therefore, that play is clutch.
I just remember when he caught it I was thinking no way he's making it, pattern too short

Users who are viewing this thread