What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Neil Young Studio Album (1 Viewer)

Pick the best Neil Young studio album of all time

• Neil Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • After the Gold Rush

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Harvest

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • On the Beach

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Zuma

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Comes a Time

• Rust Never Sleeps

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Trans

• Ragged Glory

• Harvest Moon

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Sleeps with Angels

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Mirror Ball

• Psychedelic Pill

• Other

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere -- guitar album, solid songs, doesn't let up
  • After the Gold Rush -- down in the dumps, the way Neil Young's most beautiful songs are
  • Tonight's the Night -- "the first horror album"
  • On the Beach -- beyond subdued, despairing, gorgeous
  • Rust Never Sleeps -- primal rock 'm roll and LOUD AS HELL  for its time. First concert I ever felt the seats and floor shaking
  • Ragged Glory -- best Neil Young guitar album, guitars are the lead and the vocals and other instruments are harmony
  • American Stars 'n Bars --slapdash collection of  quite good songs
  • Zuma -- guitar album. Neil Young guitar album. Cortez.
  • Comes a Time -- if there's only one CD left on earth and this is it I'll be happy the rest of my life.
Never liked Harvest. He was laid up with an injury a long time and produced a popular syrupy album. Only thing worthwhile on it is "Words", which is a hall of a song.

First time I heard his music was at a high school talent show audition in 1969, when a guy with a guitar and two women sang 2 songs that I'd never heard that blew me away.  I asked some people what songs they were and who sang them. "Wooden Ships" and "Down By the River". The next day I bought "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere", and suddenly it's 50 years later and Neil Young's music has always been the best music in my life.

• Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere -- guitar album, solid songs, doesn't let up
  • After the Gold Rush -- down in the dumps, the way Neil Young's most beautiful songs are
  • Tonight's the Night -- "the first horror album"
  • On the Beach -- beyond subdued, despairing, gorgeous
  • Rust Never Sleeps -- primal rock 'm roll and LOUD AS HELL  for its time. First concert I ever felt the seats and floor shaking
  • Ragged Glory -- best Neil Young guitar album, guitars are the lead and the vocals and other instruments are harmony
  • American Stars 'n Bars --slapdash collection of  quite good songs
  • Zuma -- guitar album. Neil Young guitar album. Cortez.
  • Comes a Time -- if there's only one CD left on earth and this is it I'll be happy the rest of my life.
Never liked Harvest. He was laid up with an injury a long time and produced a popular syrupy album. Only thing worthwhile on it is "Words", which is a hall of a song.

First time I heard his music was at a high school talent show audition in 1969, when a guy with a guitar and two women sang 2 songs that I'd never heard that blew me away.  I asked some people what songs they were and who sang them. "Wooden Ships" and "Down By the River". The next day I bought "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere", and suddenly it's 50 years later and Neil Young's music has always been the best music in my life.
Awesome post.

Impossible task; way too many great albums. Rust Never Sleeps for me, but just behind that are a bunch that I love. Nods to Ragged Glory and Sleeps with Angels, two that I seem to go back to more than others.

Was never a huge Neil fan. All-timer and all just didn’t love his stuff.  Thought he was a great song writer and heard his songs a million times but mostly more recent Neil and I found his voice annoying. 

They played this version of Old Man during a show I was watching though a couple weeks back and I was blown away. 

Been going back through his stuff and recognized I was wrong. 

Was never a huge Neil fan. All-timer and all just didn’t love his stuff.  Thought he was a great song writer and heard his songs a million times but mostly more recent Neil and I found his voice annoying. 

They played this version of Old Man during a show I was watching though a couple weeks back and I was blown away. 

Been going back through his stuff and recognized I was wrong. 
He's one of the all time greats. I'll take him over Dylan, and its not even close. So many amazing albums, albeit his share of real clunkers too.

Loved reading through this thread -- this has been an endless debate between me an my brother since we were old enough to use the family record player all by ourselves.

The many times we've said the same things that are said in this thread -- that it's a testament to how fantastic Neil is that it is so hard to pick the best album -- is uncanny.

It's a slight on some of the records to call any one a favorite, but my bro always goes with After the Gold Rush -- hard to disagree given the sheer power of some of the tunes on that record, some of Neil's most enduring songs -- Southern Man, Only Love Can Break Your Heart, When You Dance, etc. It's a patchwork of different recordings made in the basement studio that includes contributions from a young Nils Lofgren, and some on and off again appearances of Danny Whitten in the middle of the roughest patch of his drug addiction. It's a really interesting time in Young's musical career where he leaves the 60s behind and looks forward at the 70s -- musically, thematically, and lyrically.

Me, I vote Harvest. It has a special place in my heart nostalgia-wise so hard to really be objective. The record lacks the full punch of Crazy Horse (using The Stray Gators), but in addition to the softer, more country-inspired melodies, the incredible lineup he collected to assist is notable in both star power (Linda Rondstadt, Crosby, Nash, and Stills, as well as James Taylor ) and the way they are incorporated into the mix while still being very much support rather than up front.

It's also like the Casablanca of albums in terms of how serendipitous it was in coming together. Neil had some tunes he was working on while on the road, and simply...decided to record them after coming to Nashville. There was a mad last minute scramble to get the rhythm section together. The bassist was literally plucked off the street. Rondstadt swung by the studio one night after her and Neil appeared on the Johnny Cash Show together and just joined in background vocals for Heart of Gold and Old Man. 

There is something so awesome in its stripped down sound that really appeals to me and makes it stand out. It also takes me back to sweet, soft summer nights in the Muskokas and downtown Toronto parks, hanging with my high school girlfriend and all our school pals smoking, drinking, and being young and carefree. Man, those were the golden years. 

Love the voting for Harvest Moon.

I love NY w Crazy Horse, but really dig the Stray Gator sound as a change-up -- with Ronsdadt and Taylor backing yet again like on Harvest.

A lot of obvious parallels to Harvest, from name, to style, to personnel, even to the inclusion of one live song.

ETA: But Harvest Moon brought back the broom as an instrument.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: jwb

Users who are viewing this thread