What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Nintendo Games? (1 Viewer)

Tecmo Super Bowl won the video game tournament I hosted here a while back. I can't say that I disagree. It was a fantastic game.

My top 5 NES titles would probably be:

Tecmo Super Bowl

Super Mario Bros 3

Metroid

The Legend of Zelda

Mega Man 2

Really good games that are mentioned here. I can think of a few more, but I haven't seen a bad one listed yet.

My 5 outside of the Mario and Zelda

RC Pro-Am

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Tecmo Super Bowl

Contra

Ghosts N' Goblins

Last edited by a moderator:
This is about the only topic in the Ffa that no one ever cries honda. We love talking about retro games.

These are the games that I still play to this day. Therefore they're my favorites:

Tecmo Super Bowl

Baseball Stars

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Contra

R.C. Pro Am

If I had to choose five others that don't enough love:

Star Tropics

Cobra Triangle

Goonies II

Maniac Mansion

Wizards & Warriors
Baseball Stars is a great call.

These are the games that I still play to this day. Therefore they're my favorites:

Tecmo Super Bowl

Baseball Stars

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Contra

R.C. Pro Am

Star Tropics

Cobra Triangle

Goonies II

Maniac Mansion

Wizards & Warriors
:thumbup:

Final Fantasy

Tecmo Super Bowl

Yes, Baseball Stars. Loved building a team

Last edited by a moderator:
Blow the dust out!

A few that nobody's mentioned yet:

Metal Gear

Blaster Master

Jackal

Gradius

Rygar

Ninja Gaiden

I hated Kid Icarus. I recognize that it's a great game... but I really sucked at it LOL
I really liked Kid Icarus. In fact I think it's strange that it really hasn't gotten a major reboot yet. I remember hearing when they were making OOT for Zelda and the first 3D Metroid how "excited" I was. I think a Kid Icarus 3d world would be great and I think there would be a market for it. Can you imagine all the cool Greek Mythology bad guys they could have?
They re-released a 3-D version for the 3DS but I beat it with it turned off.
I'm talking about a "real" re-boot not a 3DS. Something with the size and scope of Twilight Princess on the WII. Bow and Arrow with the Wii would be awesome.
Yea I know. They did release one last year but it was essentially a shooter. Personally I just want a Kid Icarus 2 but side (and vertical) scrolling just like the first one, but with re-visitable areas and HD graphics. Same game play with more RPG.

You idea sounds great but we both know they'd just botch it.
All you would have to do is pull up the Zelda TP engine and throw some wings on link. The hardest part of it would be fitting in the eggplant wizards.

Super Mario 3

Mega Man 2

Castlevania 2

Zelda 2

Ninja Gaiden 2
Sorry man - I can't get with this. I do think it's better then the history books give it credit for esp for a 16 year old kid who had a Nintendo Power subscription. But the critics were right about the poor translation within the game. The game was imposable without outside help. The "translation" from the Japanese version of the game of Major Information/Hints were just awful. Considering how popular Nintendo was at the time I can't believe that some beta tester didn't speak up/wasn't listened too on how bad of a game the translation of the hints made this game.
I was about 8 or 9 when that game came out and I loved it. It was open ended and dark, which was cool. It was a tough game, but I beat it. I don't recall if I used Nintendo Power or not. It may have has flaws, but it was a classic.
I think if they would have fixed a few small things it could have been one of the very best games for the NES. It had a lot of great qualities - I just think it had three major fails.

1. The night to day sequence every 3 min was SUPER annoying.

2. The translation from Japanese to English was on all the NPC's that were supposed to tell you something was so bad they would have been better off not even having them.

3.a The ending was cryptic and kind of cruddy for such a good game

3.b You shouldn't be able to drop a clove a garlic and beat every boss in the game. but if your going to let it happen let it kill them in less then 5 min.

Some to add

TMNT3 Manhatten project

Arch Rivals

Friday the 13th

Zelda 2 the Adventures of Link is my favorite game all time. Way before its time.

Some to add

TMNT3 Manhatten project

Arch Rivals

Friday the 13th

Zelda 2 the Adventures of Link is my favorite game all time. Way before its time.
I completely agree. You can tell they wanted to make OOT before they had the technology to do so but they tried anyway with Zelda 2.

Ice Hockey was great. Just make a team of the skinny guys, score one goal and then just do laps around the rink with the puck. if your friend was playing the fat guy team, he'll never catch you.

Also, Guardian Legend. It was like part Zelda, part space shooter. really cool game.

River City Ransom

Legend of Zelda

Mega Man 2

Super Mario Bros. 3

Shatterhand

Shadow of the Ninja

Batman

Adventures of Lolo 2

Man, this thread makes me want to fire up the old emulator. :nerd:

Super Mario Bros

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Gimmick!

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers

Kirby's Adventure

Mine would be:

Super Mario 3

Tecmo Bowl

Batman

Blades of Steel

Super Mario Bros
Good game, but I could never play it for very long. It was irritating that after each and every pass it would say "make the pass!".

makethepassmakethepassmakethepassmakethepass

RBI Baseball

Super Tecmo Bowl

Super Mario Bros

Contra

Mike Tyson's Punchout

As a kid I loved Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball and Maniac Mansion.

I still have a bunch of old systems (NES, SNES, Sega, GC) and a ton of games, and almost all of them are awful and completely unplayable today. But those seven games can be played anytime and are always fun.

Super Mario 3

Mega Man 2

Castlevania 2

Zelda 2

Ninja Gaiden 2
Sorry man - I can't get with this. I do think it's better then the history books give it credit for esp for a 16 year old kid who had a Nintendo Power subscription. But the critics were right about the poor translation within the game. The game was imposable without outside help. The "translation" from the Japanese version of the game of Major Information/Hints were just awful. Considering how popular Nintendo was at the time I can't believe that some beta tester didn't speak up/wasn't listened too on how bad of a game the translation of the hints made this game.
I was about 8 or 9 when that game came out and I loved it. It was open ended and dark, which was cool. It was a tough game, but I beat it. I don't recall if I used Nintendo Power or not. It may have has flaws, but it was a classic.
I think if they would have fixed a few small things it could have been one of the very best games for the NES. It had a lot of great qualities - I just think it had three major fails.

1. The night to day sequence every 3 min was SUPER annoying.

2. The translation from Japanese to English was on all the NPC's that were supposed to tell you something was so bad they would have been better off not even having them.

3.a The ending was cryptic and kind of cruddy for such a good game

3.b You shouldn't be able to drop a clove a garlic and beat every boss in the game. but if your going to let it happen let it kill them in less then 5 min.
And of course i just hit up http://nintendo8.com/game/644/castlevania_2:_simon%27s_quest/ and did a quick Dracula beatdown.

RC Pro-Am

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Tecmo Super Bowl

Contra

Ghosts N' Goblins
Very solid list. Rygar, Ice Hockey, RBI Baseball, and Baseball Stars also.

Spent countless hours on the 5 you list here, especially with G and G.
G and G was probably the most difficult NES game I played.
For good reason.... it was imposable. And it was beyond imposable to beat "for real" (ie. the second time around and both times with the cross).

RBI Baseball

Super Tecmo Bowl

Super Mario Bros

Contra

Mike Tyson's Punchout

I still have a bunch of old systems (NES, SNES, Sega, GC) and a ton of games, and almost all of them are awful and completely unplayable today. But those seven games can be played anytime and are always fun.
Maniac mansion was sweet... I had the copy where you could nuke the hamster

Sold 99% of my old school games to buy dope with though...seemed like a good idea at the time

RBI Baseball

Super Tecmo Bowl

Super Mario Bros

Contra

Mike Tyson's Punchout

I loved that game

Super Dodgeball was awesome too. Nothing was more awesome than powering up and blasting a guy through several screens.

Tecmo Super Bowl

Baseball Stars

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Contra

R.C. Pro Am

Star Tropics

Cobra Triangle

Goonies II

Maniac Mansion

Wizards & Warriors
Thread over.

No love for Gyromite and R.O.B?

Two games I played a lot that haven't been mentioned are:

Ring King

T&C Surf

Shinobi and Kung Fu too

Ring King

T&C Surf

Shinobi and Kung Fu too
Can't say I had any love for ROB. Even though my first NES came with them. It was easier to play with a second person controlling the buttons for you because half the time, ROB didn't work.

Ring King

T&C Surf

Shinobi and Kung Fu too
Can't say I had any love for ROB. Even though my first NES came with them. It was easier to play with a second person controlling the buttons for you because half the time, ROB didn't work.
Yea, I was joking. I was too young to really figure out how to work him... though I DID win a blue ribbon in my 5th grade science fair by emulating a pitch return system I saw in SI for Kids using the spinning top and base in a box to kick out a pingpong ball. Called it the Baseball-Buddy.

Baseball Stars is an amazing game well ahead of its time

Super Tecmo Bowl

Dragon Warrior

Final Fantasy I

Is there any level of a video game that you have played more than World 1.1 on Super Mario Bros. the original? I could map that level out in my head right now

Baseball Stars is an amazing game well ahead of its time

Super Tecmo Bowl

Dragon Warrior

Final Fantasy I

Is there any level of a video game that you have played more than World 1.1 on Super Mario Bros. the original? I could map that level out in my head right now
Here is a game thats been mentioned a few times that hasn't been highlighted yet. It didn't make my top 5 but its not far off the list. Raise your hand if you are a sick ******* who made it to the end boss and then agreed to become his right hand man.

:bye:

Ring King

T&C Surf

Shinobi and Kung Fu too
Yea, I was joking. I was too young to really figure out how to work him... though I DID win a blue ribbon in my 5th grade science fair by emulating a pitch return system I saw in SI for Kids using the spinning top and base in a box to kick out a pingpong ball. Called it the Baseball-Buddy.
Nice! I did have ROB working for awhile, but the game was too slow and not very fun that way. In fact, the best way to play Gyromite was to have player 2 turned away from the TV and you have to tell them which button to press. Response was faster than ROB, but still hard to time against enemies and the random brother screwing up (or purposely killing you).

Some to add

TMNT3 Manhatten project

Arch Rivals

Friday the 13th

Arch Rivals is a vastly underrated game!

Jaws, awful game that I enjoyed playing!
I was a fan for a while. That little submarine thing you'd get......watch the hell out!
Jaws definitely wasn't an awful game; it was actually really entertaining.

Man, this thread makes me want to fire up the old emulator. :nerd:
I was thinking the exact same thing. Thank heavens for emulators!

Ring King is a game I'm surprised no one has mentioned. I liked playing that as well as Jordan vs. Bird and Hoops. Kid Nicki was a pretty good game if I recall. Tecmo Super NBA Basketball was another terrific game. And I always found Wall Street Kid entertaining!

Still, Baseball Stars, Bases Loaded, Baseball Simulator 1.000 and RBI Baseball are an amazing roster of baseball games. Nintendo really did baseball right.

Users who are viewing this thread