What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Outfield for one season (1 Viewer)

1961 Yankees

Maris, Mantle, and Yogi Berra

ETA:  Combined for 137 HR's and 331 RBI's
Nice.  Although Berra only played 87 games in the OF.  Not sure how good he was in the OF, was he out there just for his bat because Howard was a better defensive/offensive option at Catcher?

Henderson, Henderson and Canseco for the 1990 A’s sprang to mind first for me.

Rickey had his career year and the other two were very good. They produced 20.2 bWAR, 19.8 fWAR - slightly ahead of the other two groups mentioned, which surprised me a little bit. That 61 Yankees OF wins on name value, but Berra was 36 and only played 119 games (98 starts).

The Bill James Historical Abstract gives the nod to the 1915 Tigers OF of Bobby Veach,  Ty Cobb and  Sam Crawford.  He was using Win Shares rather than WAR in those days; the three combined for 107 WS.

Others of note (excluding duplicate seasons from similar Cobb/Crawford and Ruth groups):

1941 Yankees - Charlie Keller, Joe DiMaggio & Tommy Henrich (101 WS)
1961 Yankees (100 WS)
1927 Yankees - Bob Meusel, Earle Combs & Babe Ruth (98)
1899 Phillies - Ed Delahanty, Roy Thomas & Elmer Flick (93)
1968 Red Soz - Yaz, Reggie Smith & Hawk Harrelson (92)
1991 Pirates - Barry Bonds, Andy Van Slyke, Bobby Bonilla (90)

The 1990 Oaklands were at 85.  That was the cut line in James' article so the 1979 Red Sox were somewhere below that.

Negro Leagues historian Ted Knorr makes an interesting case for Fats Jenkins, Oscar Charleston and Rap Dixon of the mid-1920s Harrisburg Giants.

The 2001 Cardinals outfield of Albert Pujols, Jim Edmonds, JD Drew was very good. They combined for 19 fWAR with just 109 games from Drew.

The 2001 Cardinals outfield of Albert Pujols, Jim Edmonds, JD Drew was very good. They combined for 19 fWAR with just 109 games from Drew.
The last cut of spring training was Pujols in favor of the immortal Chad Hutchinson. It took Hutchinson blowing out his elbow to get Pujols on the Opening Day roster. 

• Smile
Reactions: RnR
Encyclopedia Brown said:
The last cut of spring training was Pujols in favor of the immortal Chad Hutchinson. It took Hutchinson blowing out his elbow to get Pujols on the Opening Day roster. 
I would watch a 30 for 30 on Chutch.

RnR said:
I didn't realize Pujols played OF so I looked and he played 37 games in LF, 33 in RF, 32 at 1B, and 52 at 3B.   A fairly even split.  It's easy to forget he was a good defender and had a lot of positional flexibility. 

Joe Carter/Devon White/Candy Maldonado for sure.  

Ricky Henderson/Dwayne Murphy/Tony Armas also.  I like defense.

The triple crown stats reigned supreme in Murphy's era.  If he played today, his walks and exceptional CF defense would be more appreciated.

He had a lot of hair and wore a small cap so whenever he made a play, his hat fell off in his first couple of strides.  From the bleachers, you could always tell how much ground he'd covered by checking the distance to his hat on the ground.  This has always been my favorite Dwayne Murphy baseball card because it shows him hatless.

Eephus said:
The triple crown stats reigned supreme in Murphy's era.  If he played today, his walks and exceptional CF defense would be more appreciated.

He had a lot of hair and wore a small cap so whenever he made a play, his hat fell off in his first couple of strides.  From the bleachers, you could always tell how much ground he'd covered by checking the distance to his hat on the ground.  This has always been my favorite Dwayne Murphy baseball card because it shows him hatless.
I'm pretty sure that happened to Luis Polonia when I saw him in CF at Fenway.  It was when he was first up with Oakland.  He also secretly chucked us the bird when someone yelled "HEY LUIS....NICE PANTS!"

Gally said:
I didn't realize Pujols played OF so I looked and he played 37 games in LF, 33 in RF, 32 at 1B, and 52 at 3B.   A fairly even split.  It's easy to forget he was a good defender and had a lot of positional flexibility. 
Yeah, he played 118 games in LF in 2002 and 113 there in 2003.

He settled in at 1B when the Cards dumped Tino Martinez prior to the 2004 season

The Bill James Historical Abstract gives the nod to the 1915 Tigers OF of Bobby Veach,  Ty Cobb and  Sam Crawford.  He was using Win Shares rather than WAR in those days; the three combined for 107 WS.
I'm a bit behind on this thread, but the Veach-Cobb-(Crawford or Heilmann) OF was the first that came to mind for me. Veach and Cobb both made my Tigers' franchise lineup list, and Crawford/Heilmann just had no room behind Kaline.

Joe Carter/Devon White/Candy Maldonado for sure.  

My favorite non-Rangers team of all time was the 93 Blue Jays team that won the WS (and dominated on Ken Griffey Baseball for the SNES). A combination of your two outfields Carter/White/Henderson was pretty pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread