What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best youtube tip you've learned? (1 Viewer)

supermike80

Footballguy
For me, it was my garbage disposal. Trying to push that sucker up, from the bottom, with one hand, and getting it to seal, THEN turning it is super hard.
Youtube to the rescue. Saw a tip that showed a guy using his car jack. Just set the disposal on it, cranked it up, and it was amazingly easy.
Gotta love youtube at times.

My son's car is a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/150k miles on it. We've had it since 2009 so, basically, since new. About 2-3 years ago it developed a fault. I took it to 2 or 3 different independent shops and they couldn't figure the issue out. So, I watched a few YouTube videos, bought some scan tools (less than $100 each) and figured it out on my own. I discovered it was the ABS module so, I bought a used unit off LKQOnline, took it to a local mechanic near me which I had never used before and I saved at least $1,000 over taking it to the dealership. Before I took it to this guy, I called the dealership they quoted me $1,500+. I think I paid less than $250 for the part, it came with a 2 year warranty and my local mechanic replaced it for like $150. So, all in, I saved a good chunk of money and I now I'm a big fanboy of the "South Main Auto Repairs" channel and I really like the local mechanic around the corner from me, he does great work for much less than the dealership.

Too many to mention, and usually specific to one of my weirdo projects like rebuilding my 97 Tahoe or my motorcycle or old Apple computers, or my refrigerator or my dishwasher or my HVAC unit or my air conditioner I mean it just goes on and on.

Replaced an igniter on my stove. Part cost $24. Took a screwdriver and about 20 minutes to replace. Can only imagine what I would have gotten charged by a repairman.

Way to much to list. But my woodworking “skills” are massively attributed to YouTube. Learned so much there from hugely talented people.

There's more to towing a travel trailer/5th wheel than it's GVWR. Mostly can disregard that #. Need to worry more about the hitch weight of the trailer vs the payload/cargo capacity of the vehicle that's pulling it. Had no clue until I started watching video reviews of different trailers.

Your vehicle might be able to handle the GVWR, but not the hitch weight.

1) Woodworking/ custom molding and how to properly cut crown, 2) how to change light bulbs, car filters on my tesla and other money saving tips related to automotive, and finally 3) electrical (did my first project to rewire a pull string in the basement into an actual controlled switch back in 2004 and have used the 'Tube to add outdoor outlets, additional runs for new ceiling fixtures and a few whole house fans). People should get paid for these instructional videos mainly because they are allowing many of us to not pay someone else a steep price to do something anyone can learn if educated properly.

Did a multi $1000 repair on the wife’s old bmw. Easily saved $3600 or more. Got about $40K more miles out of it. And I am NOT a mechanic
I would highly recommend to you or anyone else interested in BMW restorations or even if you enjoy car repair videos to check out M539 Restorations. His work is absolutely incredible, he's pretty funny and he does an amazing job shooting, editing and creating fascinating automobile restoration videos. From what I've gathered I believe he's Serbian(?), he worked in IT for a decent period of time, lived in California and bought his first BMW in California many years ago. He's completely self taught, he defines the words precise/exacting. He lives in Germany now and I believe he's quit working in IT and he's focused 100% on his restoration gig. He buys "golden era" BMW's from all over the place in various states of disrepair, he fixes them, sometimes he keeps them and sometimes he flips them.

Did a multi $1000 repair on the wife’s old bmw. Easily saved $3600 or more. Got about $40K more miles out of it. And I am NOT a mechanic
I would highly recommend to you or anyone else interested in BMW restorations or even if you enjoy car repair videos to check out M539 Restorations. His work is absolutely incredible, he's pretty funny and he does an amazing job shooting, editing and creating fascinating automobile restoration videos. From what I've gathered I believe he's Serbian(?), he worked in IT for a decent period of time, lived in California and bought his first BMW in California many years ago. He's completely self taught, he defines the words precise/exacting. He lives in Germany now and I believe he's quit working in IT and he's focused 100% on his restoration gig. He buys "golden era" BMW's from all over the place in various states of disrepair, he fixes them, sometimes he keeps them and sometimes he flips them.
Got rid of the bmw at just over 200k miles. I really enjoyed doing the fix though

Got rid of the bmw at just over 200k miles. I really enjoyed doing the fix though
That’s the charm of BMWs, there’s always something to repair!

One thing I've learned watching Youtube is that Ad Block is a must
This is what I came in here to post, knowing full well that somebody would surely have beat me to it.

I can't get over how good Youtube is once you get rid of the ads. Obviously 99% of it is garbage, but the remaining 1% is a lifetime's worth of entertainment and educational content. One weekend I went down a rabbit hole just watching videos of police interrogations with commentary about why the detectives were doing what they were doing. Not that I plan on being in such a situation any time soon, but it was fascinating. And there's tons of that sort of thing.

Big fan of Sam the Cooking Guy too. My wife insists on doing all of our cooking, because she is a very picky eater and I am not. Sucks because I am definitely a better cook thanks to guys like Sam.

I also love watching video games on YT. After I finish some section of a challenging game, I enjoy kicking back and watching how other folks approach the same section. But my goodness, those channels are just unwatchable without an ad blocker.

If you have a dashcam in your vehicle, it is the correct play when driving straight into a fault accident to hit the horn first then brakes second for maximum content

Cooking, for sure. I won't wont stoop to posting recipe links in this thread; and I hope no one else does.
Sam the cooking guy. Just sayin….
Thx for posting this. Never heard of him before but spent about 3 hours last night watching a few dozen of his videos. Looking forward to trying some of his recipes in the very near future. Also loved that EVO outdoor griddle he uses in almost all of his videos - until I looked it up the cost of it - 4-5k?!? Damn.

For me - was able to replace a fan/condenser on my kitchen fridge watching a YouTube video. Replacement cost was about $100. Much better than buying a new fridge for 2-3K.

Remember when we used to have to go to the library for DIY projects?

There's more to towing a travel trailer/5th wheel than it's GVWR. Mostly can disregard that #. Need to worry more about the hitch weight of the trailer vs the payload/cargo capacity of the vehicle that's pulling it. Had no clue until I started watching video reviews of different trailers.

Your vehicle might be able to handle the GVWR, but not the hitch weight.
Which is why a weight distribution hitch is often a must. Especially one with anti sway.

Well, this was frustrating but here goes. My 16 yo Kenmore Elite electric clothes dryer stopped heating. I did a bit of youtube sleuthing and found it could be one of several parts. So, I ordered a kit off Amazon which included all the replaceable parts (I mean the heating element, thermal cut off fuses, thermistor, etc.) so, before I ordered the kit, I did take the dryer apart, grabbed my multimeter and checked all the parts in the dryer. I found that everything was working except the heating element. So, then, why did I order an entire kit? So the reason I ordered an entire kit was because I thought "may as well" since I'm in there and I thought "you know, with my luck, I'll replace one part and then a month later another will break and so and so forth, why not just rip and replace everything now while I've got it apart?" I work in IT and I, quite literally, NEVER do this. I always, always, always do one software patch at a time, one O/S patch at a time, one hardware upgrade at a time, etc. because I've found that when I try to do 2+ things at a time and something doesn't work, you spend way, way, way more time trying to track down which patch, upgrade, etc. broke your environment. So, I broke my own #1 rule, sigh.

So, I learned some valuable lessons. Anyway, I replaced all the parts, the dryer worked for 10 minutes and then it stopped heating again. I took pictures before hand so I know I replaced like for like exactly as they were removed so, I was uber-frustrated so I called in an expert. The guy came out, he asked a few questions, replaced the EXACT same parts that I just replaced except for the heating element, I paid the guy $150 (parts+labor) and the dryer was working again plus I did have him fix my wonky dryer vent hose that was pulling itself out of the wall or getting crushed every time I moved it in and out so, at least that's all cleaned out and fixed properly now. He said "that heating element you bought isn't going to last very long, I can already see it developing hot spots" and he also said "I replace a lot of cheap, knock off, Amazon parts, you should try and buy oem parts whenever you can." He also said "your washer and dryer are the best units you can buy, those things are tanks and they last forever. I've been doing this for 13 years and I have, quite literally, never seen one fail and all the parts are still available. Don't ever waste your money on these newer models, they aren't built as well as these but if you do, call me first, I will buy them from you even if they aren't working."

So, if I were to do it over again, I would purchase oem parts from an online dealer instead of using Amazon, and I would replace one part at a time, however, even with the repairman visit and the online parts and what not, it was all still cheaper than a new dryer so there's that I guess.

YouTube Premium is a good deal at 12 bucks a month. No ads anywhere and it is better for the content creators financial wise.
You know, it's really funny, paying for YouTube Premium isn't on my radar, but maybe it should be, I use it more than any other media I consume, it's not even close.

Same. Here.

Different sub entirely but related:

We sub’d to YouTubeTV last NFL season and just kept it.

I need help. I'm getting fed some really bad ads lately. One is some lady talking about leaking semen.

Both from a number of years ago but I was able to open and repair my Wii with a small $5 or $10 part. Also had a TV that had no picture and found instructions on how to repair that after purchasing a board off ebay. Think that cost me about $50.

I find youtube a great resource for proper weightlifting form and training techniques. The videos have really helped my squats and deadlifts (see SquatUniversity). As we get older, poor form can wreck a once healthy body and mobility in general.

How to remove a tree stump with a hi-lift jack. Just kidding - I didn't learn that from there, but my neighbor and I randomly posted a video of us doing it on his YouTube and it has over a million views - which continues to amaze me.

YouTube Premium is a good deal at 12 bucks a month. No ads anywhere and it is better for the content creators financial wise.
You know, it's really funny, paying for YouTube Premium isn't on my radar, but maybe it should be, I use it more than any other media I consume, it's not even close.

It's the best money I spend all month. Would probably rank only behind Spotify for must have services.

As for best tip, probably don't have one, but have to agree with those that mention Sam The Cooking Guy and also throw in Joshua Weissman. I can't cook a lick, but have learned from these two. Also, Gotham Chess has really helped my game (although I am not showing it this tournament). And a ton of personal finance channels that are daily watches before I ever put on a true TV show for the night.

It's the best money I spend all month. Would probably rank only behind Spotify for must have services.

As for best tip, probably don't have one, but have to agree with those that mention Sam The Cooking Guy and also throw in Joshua Weissman. I can't cook a lick, but have learned from these two. Also, Gotham Chess has really helped my game (although I am not showing it this tournament). And a ton of personal finance channels that are daily watches before I ever put on a true TV show for the night.
Mind sharing some of your favorite personal finance channels?

Mind sharing some of your favorite personal finance channels?
The two I watch most are Andrei Jikh and Graham Stephan. Stephan has two channels: his main channel and a secondary longer interview show. They can occasionally get clickbaitish with their titles, but the content is sound and entertaining. Also, newly watching Joseph Carlson, who has the most transparency with what investment decisions he is personally doing, and shows his M1 Finance dashboard every show.

Also watch guys like Ask Sebby, Brian Jung and Ben Hedges for credit card content. Probably watched 10 hours of content before getting my X1 Credit Card and twice that before getting my AMEX Platinum.

Users who are viewing this thread