What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bette Midler not a WV fan (1 Viewer)

Another really good book, which applies directly to this comment, is White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin Diangelo. 
It's almost as if you deliberately seek out the worst possible sources of information.  It's not that your bubble is uncurated -- it's more like that it's anti-curated, if such a thing is even possible.

If you're inclined to believe the Democrats are an elitist party who look down on rural Americans this is further evidence of that.

If you're inclined to believe Republicans are easily triggered snowflakes this is further evidence of that.

And both can be true.
Now the Republicans are the snowflakes. LOL playbook is strong. 

Another really good book, which applies directly to this comment, is White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin Diangelo. 

Award  winning blackwriter Danzy Senna on Robin DeAngelo`s books:

How we have wished that white people would leave us out of their self-preoccupied, ham-fisted, kindergarten-level discussions of race. But be careful what you wish for. To anyone who has been conscious of race for a lifetime, these books can’t help feeling less brave than curiously backward.

The idea of bravery gets performed a lot in DiAngelo’s book, as she time and again steps in as savior to her Black friends, who apparently need a bold white person like her to take over the wearisome task of educating unselfaware, well-meaning white people.

In a curated space and for an ample fee, she heroically takes on a job that Black people have been doing for free in workplaces and at schools and in relationships over the centuries. As she acknowledges, she also “could not articulate the dynamics of white fragility without … reading the work of Black writers who came before my time.” Indeed, everything she notices about whiteness has been noticed by Black writers long before her.

DiAngelo’s lilly whiteness is her not-so-secret sauce, giving her crucial entrée to audiences who, as she puts it, “are more likely to be open to initial challenges to racial positions … from a fellow white person.”

Last edited by a moderator:
TIL: West Virginia has a higher literacy rate than California or New York.

If you're from NY or CA: The literacy rate is the total number of literate persons (people able to both read and write) in a given group, expressed as the percentage of that group. 

1. She certainly does not believe that any progress blacks have made is because whites have allowed them to as pacifiers. In fact she very clearly states the opposite: she is a huge believer in identity politics, which she holds responsible for all racial advancement. 

2. She does not believe that all white Americans (of which she is one) are racist. She believes that all Americans are exposed to and influenced by racist views, but that these can be countered by antiracism. 

There is much that she says that I’m pretty sure you would disagree with. I don’t agree with everything. But it’s important not to pigeonhole or caricature her, which I believe you are doing. 
If you're a white person in America, social justice educator Robin DiAngelo has a message for you: You're a racist, pure and simple, and without a lifetime of conscious effort you always will be.

That is from this piece and interview with her. This article and interview was definitely a friendly lean for her. 

If you're a white person in America, social justice educator Robin DiAngelo has a message for you: You're a racist, pure and simple, and without a lifetime of conscious effort you always will be.

That is from this piece and interview with her. This article and interview was definitely a friendly lean for her. 
The point is that conscious effort can prevent you from being a racist. That’s the exact opposite of how many here are attempting to portray her. 

So if I treat everyone the same without a conscious effort I'm racist?  Ok then.
Do you really want to get into this here? It’s a side discussion in a thread that has nothing to do with racism. The answer is, according to her, yes: as a white person in our society,  if you don’t make a conscious effort not to be a racist, then you are one. 
It’s obviously a very provocative idea, similar in some respects to critical race theory, and it’s going to piss a whole lot of people off, particularly conservatives. My only concern is: does it have merit? I don’t know, I’m not sure. I’m in partial agreement with it, I think. Not full agreement. 

Do you really want to get into this here? It’s a side discussion in a thread that has nothing to do with racism. The answer is, according to her, yes: as a white person in our society,  if you don’t make a conscious effort not to be a racist, then you are one. 
It’s obviously a very provocative idea, similar in some respects to critical race theory, and it’s going to piss a whole lot of people off, particularly conservatives. My only concern is: does it have merit? I don’t know, I’m not sure. I’m in partial agreement with it, I think. Not full agreement. 

If you didn't want to discuss this here you shouldn't have brought a nutjob grifter in to the discussion.  This idea is provocative because it's ridiculous.  From the link above that parasaurolophus posted:

During her speech, DiAngelo said individuals who have been “taught to treat everyone the same,” “have people of color in my family,” worked in foreign countries with dramatically different racial demographics, are “a minority myself,” or were “marching in the ‘60s” to end Jim Crow laws that discriminated against black citizens are nonetheless racist.

The sentiment in the quote above is ridiculous.  If you believe someone has to be racist simply because they're white you've got problems.  Sorry.  For one thing, no one is 100% white.  So at what point can a person who is not 100% white not be racist?  Is someone who is 70% white racist?   Is Obama racist because he's 50% white?  Come on man.

After two decades of bettering herself does she still consider herself to be not racist anymore? 

"I’m really confident that I do less damage to people of color than I used to do. That is what I can say to you. I do less damage than I used to."

"To be unpicking my privilege, my supremacy, my colonized mind. That’s tough enough. But to be faced with blank looks from fellow whites. That’s the real rusty razor to the carotid artery.”

Now we get to listen to some timsplaining about how her own words don't mean what she is saying.
No, some of what she is saying is extreme. Even so I agree with her fundamental point: that as white people we are all raised to be a little bit racist and will continue to be all of our lives until we work at it. I’m more optimistic than she is that we can do this. 

If you didn't want to discuss this here you shouldn't have brought a nutjob grifter in to the discussion.  This idea is provocative because it's ridiculous.  From the link above that parasaurolophus posted:

The sentiment in the quote above is ridiculous.  If you believe someone has to be racist simply because they're white you've got problems.  Sorry.  For one thing, no one is 100% white.  So at what point can a person who is not 100% white not be racist?  Is someone who is 70% white racist?   Is Obama racist because he's 50% white?  Come on man.
I’m never going to convince you in a way that you will find compelling so it’s not really worth continuing. But she’s not a nutjob, and she’s not a grifter. 

I’m never going to convince you in a way that you will find compelling so it’s not really worth continuing. But she’s not a nutjob, and she’s not a grifter. 

You could just answer my question.  Is Obama racist if he's 50% white?   And he was raised by a white person so wouldn't that, using your own words, mean he is at least a little bit racist?  What should he do to work on it? 

And to the bigger point maybe of why it's important. And it has nothing to do with Bette Midler.

But it has my conservative friends being able to say, "Nice. This is what your side thinks of people like us". West Virginia isn't that far from Tennessee or Pennsylvania or Kentucky or lots of other other states. 

More to the point, it plays exactly into the narrative for the article I frequently link to that gives insight into why I think many people voted for Donald Trump. "How Half of America Lost Its Mind"  I think it's accurate in many areas. If Democrats want to further that divide, keep laughing off things like that.
"Nope, this is what one person who probably also voted for Biden stupidly said on Twitter" would be my response.  

A big problem I see is happening is equating one person's views and posts to their whole "side".   

Obama himself answered your question, back in March of 2008, in what I regard as his greatest speech. Here is the full transcript: 

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88478467

I asked you if, based upon the person you've been pushing, and your own words, Obama was racist.  I don't care if Obama thinks he's racist.  Just like you think you're racist simply because you're white, not because of anything you've done or any views you consciously hold.   And you think any white person is racist simply for being white.  It doesn't matter what that person thinks.  So, is Obama racist or isn't he?

"Nope, this is what one person who probably also voted for Biden stupidly said on Twitter" would be my response.  

A big problem I see is happening is equating one person's views and posts to their whole "side".   

Let's not pretend Bette Midler is the only person who thinks West Virginia is full of strung out uneducated poor people.

Sorry not reading it.   You can quote him if you want, as I did for your benefit above instead of asking you to fish through an article for something I'm referencing, but I'm not reading an entire article hoping to find an answer that will probably not be exactly what I'm looking for anyways.  You love to run when you can't answer difficult questions. 
I’m not running. The questions you ask cannot be answered in a few sentences. They are answered by the entire speech, which is was about Obama’s relationship with  Jeremiah Wright and also his white, racist grandmother whom he loved. 

I’m not running. The questions you ask cannot be answered in a few sentences. They are answered by the entire speech, which is was about Obama’s relationship with  Jeremiah Wright and also his white, racist grandmother whom he loved. 

I edited my post.  In fact, I deleted what you just responded to and asked something completely different because Obama's words aren't relevant to this discussion.

Hey @John123 and anyone else who wants to discuss race with me, I’m happy to do it but let’s save it for another thread. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the Bette Midler/West Virginia discussion. 

Hey @John123 and anyone else who wants to discuss race with me, I’m happy to do it but let’s save it for another thread. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the Bette Midler/West Virginia discussion. 
I know you don't think race has to do with Bette Midler's tweet, but many people do. That's why race came up in this thread.

I edited my post.  In fact, I deleted what you just responded to and asked something completely different because Obama's words aren't relevant to this discussion.
They were absolutely relevant to your question. But again, we should find a new thread to discuss it in. 

Hope you have a merry Christmas.

I generally agree with this, especially when something stupid is said like in this case. 
But I draw a distinction between this sort of dumb statement and outright bigotry or racism. When Mel Gibson went on his anti-Semitic rant a few years back, I didn’t laugh it off. I decided then and there not go see any of his movies. When Donald Trump and Ihlan Omar (two birds of a feather IMO) make bigoted comments, I don’t laugh those off. 
Midler called a state illiterate and strung out. Insulting but I’m willing to laugh it off. 
Sorry for the slight derail, but this interests me.   As in see his new movies, or never watch any Gibson movie.     I understand people have different lines, and I am just interested in how people react to people like Cosby, Gibson, Spacey, etc.. who work on something that 100s of other people did as well.  

I know you don't think race has to do with Bette Midler's tweet, but many people do. That's why race came up in this thread.
OK I’m game. What does race have to do with Bette’ thread? So far as I can see, she was making a class and regional comment, not a racial one. 

Let's not pretend Bette Midler is the only person who thinks West Virginia is full of strung out uneducated poor people.
No, I would guess not.   I also don't think the number is nearly large enough to be able to say something like your friends do - ie this is what your "side thinks of us".   

Maybe you addressed it, but why exactly were your friends happy that she said that?  Is it basically because it fed into that opinion they had of the other side of the aisle? 

OK I’m game. What does race have to do with Bette’ thread? So far as I can see, she was making a class and regional comment, not a racial one. 

Do you think if Joe Manchin represented a state with a large poor African American population she would have made the same comment?

Sorry for the slight derail, but this interests me.   As in see his new movies, or never watch any Gibson movie.     I understand people have different lines, and I am just interested in how people react to people like Cosby, Gibson, Spacey, etc.. who work on something that 100s of other people did as well.  
Most of Mel Gibson’s movies, from the time he made his comments, were his creation. He wrote, directed, starred, etc. I won’t spend my money on him any longer. 

FWIW I don’t go to Woody Allen movies anymore either, and I used to be a huge fan. But after watching the documentary on Showtime, I’m convinced he is a child molester. 

I'm not trying to convince you that is race is involved. I'm just saying that I think it's clear that people think race is at least a tangential topic to her tweet.

I'd say that race enters this topic mostly related to how people reacted to her tweet. Most notably, people feel that responses like yours are based on the race of those on the receiving end of the tweet. Had the tweet been directed at a group that was 93.5% non-white, the assumption is there would be a different reaction and the racism label would be applied. The claim that race is out of scope of this thread is something that leads some to counter that race is now in scope.

Do you think if Joe Manchin represented a state with a large poor African American population she would have made the same comment?
Maybe not because if she did, then it might have been perceived as racist. But since WV is largely white, and Bette Midler is white, it wasn’t a racist comment. It was a class insult, a regional insult. That doesn’t justify it. 

Most of Mel Gibson’s movies, from the time he made his comments, were his creation. He wrote, directed, starred, etc. I won’t spend my money on him any longer. 

FWIW I don’t go to Woody Allen movies anymore either, and I used to be a huge fan. But after watching the documentary on Showtime, I’m convinced he is a child molester. 
Gotcha.   Like I said people have different lines, and I battle with this one.    I have an easier time with a musician or stand up comedian - where it is clearer that it's mostly just them.   I struggle more with directors and actors who are a part of a team of 100s to make a movie.    Thanks for answering.  

I'm not trying to convince you that is race is involved. I'm just saying that I think it's clear that people think race is at least a tangential topic to her tweet.

I'd say that race enters this topic mostly related to how people reacted to her tweet. Most notably, people feel that responses like yours are based on the race of those on the receiving end of the tweet. Had the tweet been directed at a group that was 93.5% non-white, the assumption is there would be a different reaction and the racism label would be applied. The claim that race is out of scope of this thread is something that leads some to counter that race is now in scope.
That is true. I believe in a double standard where  race is concerned, as I wrote. I think it’s highly unusual, almost impossible, for racism to occur against white people in this country. 

No, I would guess not.   I also don't think the number is nearly large enough to be able to say something like your friends do - ie this is what your "side thinks of us".   

Maybe you addressed it, but why exactly were your friends happy that she said that?  Is it basically because it fed into that opinion they had of the other side of the aisle? 
I'm not willing to put a number on it, but I think there is a significant number of people in this country who look down on rural white America. 

Sure there are. Look at the numbers. They indicate West Virginia ranks in the top/bottom 8 states in those categories. Two of those categories they are 1 or 2.

That is true. I believe in a double standard where  race is concerned, as I wrote. I think it’s highly unusual, almost impossible, for racism to occur against white people in this country. 
I'm definitely of the belief that privilege exists and life is much better for whites than non-whites in this country. I also believe that it's not a huge deal, in my own personal life experiences, to just put up with the double standards.

But, demographics are changing. We are becoming less white and that's going to continue. I think if these attitudes towards white people continue, at some point that's going to result in things that are a bit more serious than whining. I worry that once the day comes that large portions of white people have had enough, we won't be able to just flip the switch and change those attitudes towards them.

So, either all these efforts to get white people to change better work or I think it might be good to find a different way to approach all of this.

Yeah, part of the problem is we can't, so it's just our experiences and opinions.  
Yep. As someone who lives in a wealthy major metropolitan area, I hear it all the time. And, as someone who has a lot of friends and relatives who live in the South, I hear them complaining about it all the time. 

Yep. As someone who lives in a wealthy major metropolitan area, I hear it all the time. And, as someone who has a lot of friends and relatives who live in the South, I hear them complaining about it all the time. 
Where I am left-leaning with mostly left people around me in small town WI, and don't hear that aspect of the "sides" battle at all.  

Users who are viewing this thread