What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bettis HOF Bid (1 Viewer)

He manned up to his fumble in Indy, stayed a leader even in his diminished role, and now has a ring to add to his resume`. A stat compiler is one thing, one with a ring, who acted as a team leader through an historic run at the end of his career is another. The fat man tipped the scales here as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think his HoF resume is any better or worse than it was a month ago. Getting a ring as a situational backup is nothing to write home about. Will Drew Bledsoe's ring he got with the Patriots in '01 be a factor when his HoF legitimacy (which, admittedly, is much weaker than Bettis' is) is discussed?

I don't think his HoF resume is any better or worse than it was a month ago. Getting a ring as a situational backup is nothing to write home about. Will Drew Bledsoe's ring he got with the Patriots in '01 be a factor when his HoF legitimacy (which, admittedly, is much weaker than Bettis' is) is discussed?
I agree to a point. He was already in as far as many are concerned. Winning the Super Bowl simply ensures this, and that he'll likely be a first ballot HoFer...

I believe the hall of fame is as much about the story the press can write for ones place in history as it is about accomplishment. Rings are not that significant to purists who understand great players can be on teams that nevertheless don't make it, and marginal players can be on great teams. (First three time ring wearer was Marv Flemming, a back up on the Packers and the Dolphins, so obviously rings dont decide the issue) I just think his story just got better and that helps IMO. It also takes away one argument for detractors.

He should be in the HOF for his body of work, but the reality of the fact is that his last few years has been less than extaordinary. He hasn't been an everydown back for a while. In fact, he doesn't appear to be in good enough shape to play an entire game. He is limited to goal line carries, yet he couldn't finish a drive against a very average defense in the Super Bowl. He has a great personality and has certainly accomplished enough in the PAST to warrant a first ballot nomination.

He should also get a plaque in the Bowling HOF noting a 300 game by a pro from another sport.

Also he should easily be a first ballot guy in the Sweet Beard HOF.

He should be in the HOF for his body of work, but the reality of the fact is that his last few years has been less than extaordinary. He hasn't been an everydown back for a while. In fact, he doesn't appear to be in good enough shape to play an entire game. He is limited to goal line carries, yet he couldn't finish a drive against a very average defense in the Super Bowl. He has a great personality and has certainly accomplished enough in the PAST to warrant a first ballot nomination.
The same could be said about other HoFers. Unitas, Starr, etc. They had great years, but fizzled at the end and it was painful to watch. But they still made it in, with no problems at all...Bettis is a shoo-in... and this coming from a Lions fan...

He should be a shoo-in!

Let's not compare him to Johnny U please. I grew up a Colts fan and remember JU as the most dominate player of his time. He changed the way the game was played.

Bettis has had a great career, but even in his prime he was "one of the better" backs in the NFL.

Pop Quiz . . .

Which player is more deserving of HOF consideration . . .

PLAYER A:

16,532 yards from scrimmage with 88 total TD

PLAYER B:

15,111 yards from scrimmage and 94 total TD

Hint: Player A was just overlooked for induction this past week. Given that, I am not sure Bettis is a mortal lock as some suggest, although I do see him getting in.

Although it may not make sense to fans in other cities, there is no doubt that Bettis was the undisputed leader of the Steelers on the field and in the locker room. He was undeniably the galvanizing force for this team getting their act together and winning their final eight games.

The media totally overdid the story of Bettis going home to Detroit, but don't underestimate the role that sentiment played in getting the Steelers there. At times, it seemed as if the Steelers were so focused on getting Jerome home that they didn't realize the stakes were as high as they were in the playoff games. Perhaps that caught up with some of them, especially Ben, during the off week before the Super Bowl, and that is why they showed more signs of nervousness in the game. (Of course, Seattle's defense should get a lot of credit for scheming to foil Roethlisberger.)

As a Steeler fan living in Pittsburgh, I admit that I don't even fully understand why he is spoken of with such reverence by his teammates. He may seem to be a past-his-prime overweight 3 ypc backup running back to people outside of the Steeler organization, but to his teammates, he was royalty.

So I'd say his spiritual leadership of the team to their first title in 26 seasons does indeed enhance his HoF resume.

I'm not a huge Bus fan, and if they gave me a vote, I wouldn't put him in. But, I think he'll go in, because people don't look at the greatness anymore, but the stats they've compiled. One day, even Dave Kreig will go in.

They should have two seperate wings at the hall. One wing at the hall for extraordinary talent/ability, and another for lifetime achievement. HIs lifetime achievements are a testaments to his longetivity at being slightly above average, not greatness of ability.

He doesnt deserve the Hall (as a player, great great guy) but he will make it. These playoffs definately helped to some degree... even though he came within an inch of blowing it against Indy.

The very defination of compiler.

So then Johhny U. doesn't belong?

At times he was known to be a ##### to the media and ownership.
Johnny U was arguably the best QB, on arguably the best team, or the time. Not to mention one of the first true great passers. The Bus was an above average back that hung around forever compiling. He was never even the best player on his own team, never mind the league.

The only reason I wouldn't vote for Bettis is that his game was pretty one-dimensional. He was a below average pass-catcher and blocker. He was a between the tackles runner exclusively. To do that one thing for an entire career as a running back, I'd want there to be more dominance than Bettis has shown.

As many have said, it ain't the Hall of the Very Good. Bettis was a very good running back. I just don't know if I'd put him in the "elite" class.

I think this playoff run may legitimize his HOF entry in some eyes, but I don't think it will have any effect on his candidacy. Argue all you want whether he ought to be in there (and I'd argue no), but he's a stone cold lock.

So is "Player A" above. He just had the misfortune of coming up for the first time in a crowded year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have officially changed my mind. I believe that Thurman Thomas was the better player. If Thomas can't go then Bettis is going to have to wait.

If he has an announcing career similar to John Madden's he could be added later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've debated Bettis AT LENGTH in other threads and don't have time to (or the desire) to do so again here.

However, Bettis currently ranks 12th all-time in yards from scrimmage. More than likely, Tiki Barber will pass him in that category NEXT YEAR. Does that make Barber a lock for the HOF? Edgerrin James should pass that in 2 years. Does that make him a lock as well? LaDainian Tomlinson could pass that in 3 years. Ditto the question.

Priest Holmes has the same number of TD (94) as Bettis does--IN 1,611 FEWER OPPORTUNITIES. Does that make Holmes a lock? Both have fewer TD than Shaun Alexander (100). Is Alexander a lock?

The bottom line is that there will soon be a glut of deserving candidates, and by the time Bettis is eligible I'm not as sure that people then will view him the same as they do today.

I've debated Bettis AT LENGTH in other threads and don't have time to (or the desire) to do so again here.

However, Bettis currently ranks 12th all-time in yards from scrimmage. More than likely, Tiki Barber will pass him in that category NEXT YEAR. Does that make Barber a lock for the HOF? Edgerrin James should pass that in 2 years. Does that make him a lock as well? LaDainian Tomlinson could pass that in 3 years. Ditto the question.

Priest Holmes has the same number of TD (94) as Bettis does--IN 1,611 FEWER OPPORTUNITIES. Does that make Holmes a lock? Both have fewer TD than Shaun Alexander (100). Is Alexander a lock?

The bottom line is that there will soon be a glut of deserving candidates, and by the time Bettis is eligible I'm not as sure that people then will view him the same as they do today.
Who is retiring this year, or who has retired in the past few, that is going to render Bettis obsolete when he comes up for induction? No way Holmes gets in over Bettis, especially now that Bettis has the ring, if Holmes retires... and other than Emmitt Smith, who will already be in before Bettis is eligible, I don't see who is going to outshine him on the ballot. Maybe I'm wrong - but what backs are going to be on there with Jerome when the voters get their first ballot with Bettis on it?

I think many are over looking the impressive nature of his truely sweet beard and how his bowling credentials and fat belly apeal to us middle aged coach potatos who can no longer bring it. Do not underestimate the power of us fatasses.

Maybe I'm wrong - but what backs are going to be on there with Jerome when the voters get their first ballot with Bettis on it?
I know you were responding directly to a post about other backs possibly keeping Bettis out, but it doesn't have to be other backs keeping him out that first year. Deion and Favre will probably be up the same year and they are locks for the first year. If the veterans committee has a couple guys, they usually get in. Any word from Faulk? I wouldn't be surprised if he was done this year. Add to that people that have been overlooked for a year or much longer and Bettis could easily slip a year or two. And, once you slip a year or two, then enter David's argument that other backs may have now blown away Bettis' numbers.I don't know many people when Monk retired that said Monk would not get in pretty quickly. Well...

Great points Yuds. With more passing, and rule changes, NFL games run about twice as many plays as they did in the 60's and 70's. Career stats, and even the 1k season for rushing/receiving, or 3k for passing, have been diminished. Where they used to be great, they're merely average now. Career numbers measure longtime contributions, not greatness. I'm not a huge stat guy. I look at the play of the guy, and yes he's a great one, or no he's not. Statistics play more into situation, talent level of the team, how many times and how far in the playoffs (bus boosted there, as was Emmitt) the longer season, diluted talent of the late 90's (expansion) and so many other factors. It's a stick, but not I like to use.

I think many are over looking the impressive nature of his truely sweet beard and how his bowling credentials and fat belly apeal to us middle aged coach potatos who can no longer bring it. Do not underestimate the power of us fatasses.
His beard is very nicely groomed. We were discussing that yesterday - that s--t is sharp.

Who is retiring this year, or who has retired in the past few, that is going to render Bettis obsolete when he comes up for induction? No way Holmes gets in over Bettis, especially now that Bettis has the ring, if Holmes retires... and other than Emmitt Smith, who will already be in before Bettis is eligible, I don't see who is going to outshine him on the ballot. Maybe I'm wrong - but what backs are going to be on there with Jerome when the voters get their first ballot with Bettis on it?
Obviously Emmitt gets in. If Faulk retires this offseason, he would get more votes than Bettis. Martin will get in and also could retire maybe next year. That's 3 other guys that could hold up Bettis' induction (assuming they only take one RB each year). If that extends his time away from the game to 6 or 7 years, there could be several RB that eclipse some of his numbers. As others besides myself have posted, not a lot of RB have ever even made it in.There also could be other notables at other positions (Favre, Rice, Brown, etc.) that could keep Bettis out initially.I fully understand that his resume has a lot more on it than just stats, so the numbers alone may not carry as much weight as with other players.

Maybe I'm wrong - but what backs are going to be on there with Jerome when the voters get their first ballot with Bettis on it?
I know you were responding directly to a post about other backs possibly keeping Bettis out, but it doesn't have to be other backs keeping him out that first year. Deion and Favre will probably be up the same year and they are locks for the first year. If the veterans committee has a couple guys, they usually get in. Any word from Faulk? I wouldn't be surprised if he was done this year. Add to that people that have been overlooked for a year or much longer and Bettis could easily slip a year or two. And, once you slip a year or two, then enter David's argument that other backs may have now blown away Bettis' numbers.I don't know many people when Monk retired that said Monk would not get in pretty quickly. Well...
I know it doesn't have to be backs, but if there are no more deserving backs on the ballot, it's going to make Bettis look that much better.Deion and Favre will get in as well, and while Favre is a shoo-in, I don't know that Deion is any more of a lock than Bettis. He was a transcendant talent, no doubt, but his prime (no pun intended) was relatively short. Besides which, they usually take about 5-6 guys a year anyway, I can't imagine 6 guys on that ballot when Bettis is first eligible being more attractive options. Bettis is LOVED.

I think many are over looking the impressive nature of his truely sweet beard and how his bowling credentials and fat belly apeal to us middle aged coach potatos who can no longer bring it.  Do not underestimate the power of us fatasses.
His beard is very nicely groomed. We were discussing that yesterday - that s--t is sharp.
That is the sweetest beard this side of Katie Holmes. Nice trim, both of them.

Who is retiring this year, or who has retired in the past few, that is going to render Bettis obsolete when he comes up for induction?  No way Holmes gets in over Bettis, especially now that Bettis has the ring, if Holmes retires... and other than Emmitt Smith, who will already be in before Bettis is eligible, I don't see who is going to outshine him on the ballot.  Maybe I'm wrong - but what backs are going to be on there with Jerome when the voters get their first ballot with Bettis on it?
Obviously Emmitt gets in. If Faulk retires this offseason, he would get more votes than Bettis. Martin will get in and also could retire maybe next year. That's 3 other guys that could hold up Bettis' induction (assuming they only take one RB each year). If that extends his time away from the game to 6 or 7 years, there could be several RB that eclipse some of his numbers. As others besides myself have posted, not a lot of RB have ever even made it in.There also could be other notables at other positions (Favre, Rice, Brown, etc.) that could keep Bettis out initially.

I fully understand that his resume has a lot more on it than just stats, so the numbers alone may not carry as much weight as with other players.
Favre for sure. Curtis Martin at this point (with no ring) may not be a more attractive candidate than Bettis. I get what you're saying, and I even understand the argument against him. I just don't think there's any way he doesn't make it. Did anyone see all the interviews last night with the other Steelers? That guy is revered by his teammates - every guy they talk to says that he is a better player and a better person for having known Bettis. His impact and leadership in that locker room were immeasurable, and several players said his influence was the single most important factor in the Steelers winning it all this year.

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats, in my opinion. I think this should count for something - actually, should count for a LOT. If there's anyone that exemplifies the characteristics that the NFL and HOF want to epitomize, it's Jerome Bettis.

He's a lock, IMO.

In a way, this really helps him. No kidding.

Deion is any more of a lock than Bettis. He was a transcendant talent, no doubt, but his prime (no pun intended) was relatively short.
Hate to hijack, but teams rarely threw to his side for 3 years in Atlanta, 1 year in SF and 4 years in Dallas. This is where stats betray his effect NOt to mention he was a top notch return man. He wasn't much for contact, but he was the epitome of a shutdown corner for a number of years. I think he goes in as soon as he's eligible. This goes to the core of greatness over compilation.

I disagree with your comment about Priest Holmes. Priest also has a SB under his belt in essentially the same role as Bettis (according to Wikipedia he actually started the game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXV). Priest was perhaps the best player in the league for 3-4 years, and broke the TD record (which was broken by SA this year). To me, Holmes perhaps has a far better resume for being in the HOF than Bettis, because Bettis was very good over a length of time and because Priest was GREAT for a length of time (admittedly much shorter period of time). The thing that Bettis has going for him more than most other players, is that he is a media darling. That will certainly help him in his bid to the HOF. But if Priest and Bettis both retire this year, I think Priest definitely creates a problem for Bettis. I could be way off on this though.

Who is retiring this year, or who has retired in the past few, that is going to render Bettis obsolete when he comes up for induction?  No way Holmes gets in over Bettis, especially now that Bettis has the ring, if Holmes retires... and other than Emmitt Smith, who will already be in before Bettis is eligible, I don't see who is going to outshine him on the ballot.  Maybe I'm wrong - but what backs are going to be on there with Jerome when the voters get their first ballot with Bettis on it?
Obviously Emmitt gets in. If Faulk retires this offseason, he would get more votes than Bettis. Martin will get in and also could retire maybe next year. That's 3 other guys that could hold up Bettis' induction (assuming they only take one RB each year). If that extends his time away from the game to 6 or 7 years, there could be several RB that eclipse some of his numbers. As others besides myself have posted, not a lot of RB have ever even made it in.There also could be other notables at other positions (Favre, Rice, Brown, etc.) that could keep Bettis out initially.

I fully understand that his resume has a lot more on it than just stats, so the numbers alone may not carry as much weight as with other players.
Favre for sure. Curtis Martin at this point (with no ring) may not be a more attractive candidate than Bettis. I get what you're saying, and I even understand the argument against him. I just don't think there's any way he doesn't make it. Did anyone see all the interviews last night with the other Steelers? That guy is revered by his teammates - every guy they talk to says that he is a better player and a better person for having known Bettis. His impact and leadership in that locker room were immeasurable, and several players said his influence was the single most important factor in the Steelers winning it all this year.

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats, in my opinion. I think this should count for something - actually, should count for a LOT. If there's anyone that exemplifies the characteristics that the NFL and HOF want to epitomize, it's Jerome Bettis.

He's a lock, IMO.
Other than providing an interesting sidelight to an otherwise ho-hum game, I don't think earning a ring in a season in which he was a reserve with 300 rushing yards and 40 rushing yards in the Super Bowl really makes a bit of difference on whether he makes it or doesn't. There are plenty of players that have been inducted without winning a Super Bowl, and I hardly think that that is a barometer for induction. Multiple Super Bowl rings gets you brownie points, but I can't see one ring making you go from "out" to "in."Essentially, Bettis did the LEAST for this Steelers team than any other Steelers team he played for. Nice story, yes. Deal breaker? Lord I hope not.

He's a lock, IMO.
Other than providing an interesting sidelight to an otherwise ho-hum game, I don't think earning a ring in a season in which he was a reserve with 300 rushing yards and 40 rushing yards in the Super Bowl really makes a bit of difference on whether he makes it or doesn't. There are plenty of players that have been inducted without winning a Super Bowl, and I hardly think that that is a barometer for induction. Multiple Super Bowl rings gets you brownie points, but I can't see one ring making you go from "out" to "in."Essentially, Bettis did the LEAST for this Steelers team than any other Steelers team he played for. Nice story, yes. Deal breaker? Lord I hope not.
It just enhances his resume, that's all. When the initial thread was up, a lot of detractors pointed to his lack of a ring as a reason to keep him out. they no longer have that reason. And this isn't a situation where he did nothing to contribute - the guy was still toting the rock 10-15 times a game down the stretch and made a couple of key runs late Sunday that allowed Pittsburgh to ice the win.

You should be right. But Bettis, although a backup, was the biggest story of this year's SB. Everyone will remember him being in this game. Bledsoe was an afterthought in that super bowl, and many casual fans probably don't even remember he was the backup(although he did play in the AFCC game that year). I don't think this SB should enhance his chances, but I think it will.

Users who are viewing this thread