What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden pardons those with federal convictions for possessing marijuana (1 Viewer)

This was a campaign promise, one of the reasons he got my vote.

It remains to be seen whether governors follow Biden’s lead. Erik Altieri, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said extending the action to states could help millions of Americans.

Most of these pardons should be eligible to vote. Will this come down to a red/blue governor to get pardoned?

Vote grab right before elections, just like the student loan forgiveness. Talk to me when it's legal, but none of the politicians actually want that because they all get their palms greased off of the medical bs.
I think the student loan forgiveness was more divisive. It seems pretty clear a majority are in favor of this.

Vote grab right before elections, just like the student loan forgiveness. Talk to me when it's legal, but none of the politicians actually want that because they all get their palms greased off of the medical bs.
I think the student loan forgiveness was more divisive. It seems pretty clear a majority are in favor of this.
I haven't read too much analysis on this, but I'd imagine there probably haven't been that many federal arrest for this in the past few decades. It's a gre as t thing to do, but my point is it sounds bigger than it probably is. My other concern is in regards to related charges. If the feds are busting you for a massive pot bust, then there could be money laundering tax evasion, etc. I wonder if all those associated charges would be dropped. I'm really curious how many people this impacts. I'm responding before catching up on the thread, so not sure if anyone has seen an estimate yet. I know a bunch of states still have people incarcerated, but I guess those people are still screwed.

I haven't read too much analysis on this, but I'd imagine there probably haven't been that many federal arrest for this in the past few decades. It's a gre as t thing to do, but my point is it sounds bigger than it probably is. My other concern is in regards to related charges. If the feds are busting you for a massive pot bust, then there could be money laundering tax evasion, etc. I wonder if all those associated charges would be dropped. I'm really curious how many people this impacts. I'm responding before catching up on the thread, so not sure if anyone has seen an estimate yet. I know a bunch of states still have people incarcerated, but I guess those people are still screwed.
I hate it when doing the right thing is a ‘vote grab’
as I posted earlier, rescheduling it would have a much bigger effect.

I'm sure the topic of rescheduling will pop up again in a few years.

I do have to say was In NYC a couple weeks ago. Was staying in Chelsea / Midtown area. I think the time I smelled normal NYC air was less than I smelled bud I think. Not sure if they made it legal there or what but it was like a Phish show.
Hell, I saw people dealing edibles on the streets like they were watches. Good way to mellow things out and help people get through the day, imo.

Anything for us who pay taxes, work, and are law-abiding citizens?
A lot of people pay taxes, work, are law-abiding citizens and smoke weed
How many users were in federal prisons though? It would seem that the pot people in a state/federal prison were sellers and possessed larger amounts. Biden needs to worry more about fentanyl crossing the border and less about low-level pot users.

Why didn’t he do it when he first took office?

The opening post in this thread states an estimate.
...that could help more than 6,500 people...

So if had possessed 20,000lbs of Marijuana, would I be released too?

Or are we talking those that had a joint or two on them?

First one would be bad. Second one I don't have an issue with.
Most situations where somebody possessed such an amount it's almost a certainty that they would have been charged with sales. So, yes, there's a significant difference and those convicted of sales aren't getting the pardon.

If not you should be. Or 20,000lbs of any other plant.

I'm not a big marijuana fan to begin with but passing it off as "just another plant" is akin to passing off a Lamborghini as "just another car".

There is a difference and there should be controls around it like any other drug.
I don't think anybody has ever advocated for there to be no controls around it. It should absolutely still be criminal behavior to sell it outside of regulation and make a profit (as a policy we should want that tax revenue!), sell it to kids, drive under the influence of it, etc.

But imprisoning people for simply possessing it is an injustice. I don't think this statement is all that controversial.

In short, treat it like alcohol and a fair balance seems to be struck between the libertarian ideals of government hands off and ensuring the safety of others.

Last edited:
Can you unpack this? This is an issue I'm pretty well versed on, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you really think this was a bad move by Biden?

Biden has been a mediocre president, but this move seems about as uncontroversial as it gets.
Agreed. As mediocre as he is though, he has been a better president than a candidate. I left POTUS blank in 2020 but a handful of things he has done has me leaning at least to vote for him if he runs in '24.

Need to make room for more political prisoners?
Why can't we have nice things?

I opened this thread hoping to see 40 posts agreeing with this obvious positive move. We're addicted to snark in here IMO.
Biden could probably save a random human from drowning, and a significant percentage of posters here would probably criticize him for not saving the guy's dog.

Oh, wait, never mind, that number would probably be 50% based on a prior poll... 🤦‍♂️

Greased by whom? I was told that all the regulation would drive the prices up. In reality, I'm paying 40-60% less for eighths than I was 30 years ago. And the quality is nice.

Do you really think this was a bad move by Biden?

Biden has been a mediocre president, but this move seems about as uncontroversial as it gets.
I guess it goes back to how many users are in federal prisons? It’s also an avoidance of real issues, like fentanyl.

Why would they be in a federal prison instead of a state or county jail anyway? It’s a move that doesn’t move the needle at all.

I think that this is a decent first step, and those of you who are anti biden may want to smoke a joint and chill about this. Sometimes policies from the other side make sense. Donald moving the embassy in Israel to Jerusalem is one I was cool with. Sometimes things make sense no matter what side of the aisle they come from.

I'm paying 40-60% less for eighths than I was 30 years ago. And the quality is nice.
I stopped buying when we bought our house and started our family, about 30 years ago. Now its legal in my state and I'm taking full advantage. Yeah its more money (about double what I used to pay) but I'll take the convenience of walking into my local dispensary, discussing what I'm looking for with a knowledgeable sales person and know I'm walking out with high quality marijuana pretty much anytime I want it. Which is today, as I'm off to the dispensary in search of some sativa (sour diesel looks to be on the menu today).

Why didn’t he do it when he first took office?
Well, I am sure if the first thing he did when he took office was blanket pardon people who had been busted for federal weed possession most people would have been "why isn't he doing the important stuff first?"

There are a lot of dumb things in government. Student loans are one of them. Weed is another. I'm sure when "don't ask, Don't tell" was a policy it wasn't a huge policy either, but it set the stage for the legalization of gay marriage. Fentynal is a schedule 2 drug while Marijuana is a schedule 1. Makes no sense.

I'm paying 40-60% less for eighths than I was 30 years ago. And the quality is nice.
I stopped buying when we bought our house and started our family, about 30 years ago. Now its legal in my state and I'm taking full advantage. Yeah its more money (about double what I used to pay) but I'll take the convenience of walking into my local dispensary, discussing what I'm looking for with a knowledgeable sales person and know I'm walking out with high quality marijuana pretty much anytime I want it. Which is today, as I'm off to the dispensary in search of some sativa (sour diesel looks to be on the menu today).
Smoke up Johnny!

I guess it goes back to how many users are in federal prisons? It’s also an avoidance of real issues, like fentanyl.

Why would they be in a federal prison instead of a state or county jail anyway? It’s a move that doesn’t move the needle at all.
Not really sure why you can't simply say it was a good decision and move on. The redirection/undermining attempts is partisan hackery that I'm sure you despise when it's going the other way.

Not really sure why you can't simply say it was a good decision and move on. The redirection/undermining attempts is partisan hackery that I'm sure you despise when it's going the other way.
I’m very anti-drug.

You're paying more? I remember paying $60 for an eighth in the 90's and the flavor of the week often goes for under $25 at the spot by my parents' house.

I’m very anti-drug.
How do you define 'drug'?

I’m very anti-drug.
Not a movie guy, and now this??!! ;)

You're paying more? I remember paying $60 for an eighth in the 90's and the flavor of the week often goes for under $25 at the spot by my parents' house.
Heh, my experience is the reverse. In the 80s and 90s, our normal price was $25-$30 for an eighth and around $50 for a quarter. NJ is still just getting started with rec sales and there aren't many dispensaries around the state. I'm paying $50-$60 for an eighth. But I'm not a heavy smoker and an eighth goes a long way.

There are still a few med only dispensaries nearby, I'm waiting for more rec to open so hopefully prices come down with more competition.

I’m very anti-drug.
In my opinion, weed is far less harmful than alcohol, so unless you'd want people locked up for alcohol use, this seems like a no-brainer. Of course, your life experience is different than mine, so I appreciate that you may have a sensitivity to the subject that I don't.
This is where I am. It's weird to me how open and celebrated mass amounts of drinking is, and my opinion echoes yours - weed is less harmful.

Hell, there were parents drinking and tailgating at a homecoming parade at 3pm on Friday yesterday in good Ol' Wisconsin. I know a few of them, and they look down on people who do any "drugs" (I guess the alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine they doing don't count). So my life experience in our parent group in WI is having several drinks during your grade school kid's basketball tournament = normal, but me having edibles at night while watching a movie = bad.

I’m very anti-drug.
In my opinion, weed is far less harmful than alcohol, so unless you'd want people locked up for alcohol use, this seems like a no-brainer. Of course, your life experience is different than mine, so I appreciate that you may have a sensitivity to the subject that I don't.
This is where I am. It's weird to me how open and celebrated mass amounts of drinking is, and my opinion echoes yours - weed is less harmful.

Hell, there were parents drinking and tailgating at a homecoming parade at 3pm on Friday yesterday in good Ol' Wisconsin. I know a few of them, and they look down on people who do any "drugs" (I guess the alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine they doing don't count). So my life experience in our parent group in WI is having several drinks during your grade school kid's basketball tournament = normal, but me having edibles at night while watching a movie = bad.
EXACTLY! My wife, to a certain extent, was like this at the beginning of the "legalization" movement. Had an issue with it, but 2 glasses of wine = no biggie.

I will add that the drug war in general makes no sense since most of the prescription stuff you can get legally these days (Oxy etc) is a hell of a lot more dangerous than Weed, Shrooms, acid, or coke. Most deaths associated with these drugs these days is bc they are laced with Fentynal or worse. (Again, not advocating for full decriminalization (or Heroin which is just a nasty drug in general), just saying our "good vs. Bad" drug policy is not rooted in any type of science)

If not you should be. Or 20,000lbs of any other plant.

I'm not a big marijuana fan to begin with but passing it off as "just another plant" is akin to passing off a Lamborghini as "just another car".

There is a difference and there should be controls around it like any other drug.
I don't think anybody has ever advocated for there to be no controls around it. It should absolutely still be criminal behavior to sell it outside of regulation and make a profit (as a policy we should want that tax revenue!), sell it to kids, drive under the influence of it, etc.

But imprisoning people for simply possessing it is an injustice. I don't think this statement is all that controversial.

In short, treat it like alcohol and a fair balance seems to be struck between the libertarian ideals of government hands off and ensuring the safety of others.
As I'm sure you know these laws were inacted to control and intimidate a certain segment of the population that prefer weed of alcohol. You're right, it is an injustice and happy it's being addressed.

I’m very anti-drug.

EXACTLY! My wife, to a certain extent, was like this at the beginning of the "legalization" movement. Had an issue with it, but 2 glasses of wine = no biggie.

I will add that the drug war in general makes no sense since most of the prescription stuff you can get legally these days (Oxy etc) is a hell of a lot more dangerous than Weed, Shrooms, acid, or coke. Most deaths associated with these drugs these days is bc they are laced with Fentynal or worse. (Again, not advocating for full decriminalization (or Heroin which is just a nasty drug in general), just saying our "good vs. Bad" drug policy is not rooted in any type of science)
:goodposting:

To claim weed and heroin are basically the same thing is like saying Coor's light and moon shine is basically the same thing.

Its all defined by what's historically legal and illegal. Fast forward 10-20 years and things will be viewed differently.

I’m very anti-drug.
So am I. That is why we absolutely need to end the disastrous failure of policy that has been the war on drugs and continue to move it out of the criminal justice system and into the realm of public health. But marijuana isn't really even in that conversation beyond whatever "gateway drug" properties might actually exist, assuming there are any. My :tinfoilhat: perspective is that it was only ever criminalized to begin with to protect other industries - alcohol, tobacco, pharmaceutical, cotton, etc.

What a horrible take.

Why didn’t Obama do it?

Can you explain how they are getting their palms greased from the medical?

I’m very anti-drug.
do you think cannabis should be classified the same as heroin and other hard drugs?

You know that cannabis is just a plan that grows naturally and has been used as medicine for centuries by other cultures?

Not paying for people to be in prison, clear up court system, etc. That should help a little.
And now tax revenues are funding school systems.

I’m very anti-drug.
do you think cannabis should be classified the same as heroin and other hard drugs?

You know that cannabis is just a plan that grows naturally and has been used as medicine for centuries by other cultures?
You also know that if you are in a federal prison, you are probably dealing.

Users who are viewing this thread