What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden To Forgive $10k In Student Loans (2 Viewers)

Polls are fun!
Your shtick is terrible. Just don't reply to me if this is all you can muster
Nope...as long as you post silly poll results like "75% of democrats support loan forgiveness" I will call them out.
So should we just agree with @Snotbubbles when he says there isn't partisan support without any factual context?

Poll after poll show support for this amongst democrats. Why is this a shocking thing to you?

75% doesn't qualify as partisan support. For the Senate, that's only 38 yea votes on the issue. As I said above, if there was partisan support for loan forgiveness it would have been done through reconciliation or Inflation Reduction Act. Heck, they probably could have put it in the American Rescue Plan. None of that spending had it because...go ahead, you can say it...there isn't partisan support for it.

So you agree that they do campaign on cutting taxes?

sure but not "for the rich"

the tax cuts are for people who pay into the system - if you pay $1 you won't see much ... if you pay $50,000 you're going to see more

makes sense doesn't it ?

I mean if you're going to give back gasoline would people driving the least get the bulk or the people who drive the most?

but saying the Govt is going to make taxpayers flip the bill for people who chose to take loans is absolutely idiotic .......... nobody can justify it

I can. I didn't qualify for the stimulus because of some arbitrary cutoff. I qualify for this so as a sorry for missing out on a stimulus, you get this.

Because a large portion of the people that make up that percentage probably have student loans. So they're voting with their wallets (hard to blame them). Advanced education has also skyrocketed in price :shrug:

(If unclear, I'm not personally advocating for the policy - just explaining why it's sensical that a large portion of people would).

so its something Biden did to stroke the ones who have student loans and sway their vote

I agree

maybe the GOP nominee in 2024 will campaign promise to forgive $40,000 in auto and home loans if he's elected? that's be ok wouldn't it ?
Why not...they campaign on tax cuts for the rich.
Assuming all republicans are rich

Define rich.
You’ll have to ask the people who think the tax cuts are for the rich.

Silly for tax cuts and give-aways like debt forgiveness to be compared.

Taking less from someone is not giving them something. The government should always be seeking to take as little as possible and preferably less from its citizens. Government is here to facilitate individual achievement not nanny people.

I say this and I’m not even a fan of tax cuts in our current situation but comparing random freebies to the serious matter of confiscating income makes no sense to me.

Silly for tax cuts and give-always like debt forgiveness to be compared.

Taking less from someone is not giving them something. The government should always be seeking to take as little as possible and preferably less from its citizens. Government is here to facilitate individual achievement not nanny people.

I say this and I’m not even a fan of tax cuts in our current situation but comparing random freebies to the serious matter of confiscating income makes no sense to me.
This one always gets to me and I just generally don't respond. If someone refuses to acknowledge the difference between allowing a person to keep more of what they earn versus giving money out to someone else then there's just nothing to discuss.

This one always gets to me and I just generally don't respond. If someone refuses to acknowledge the difference between allowing a person to keep more of what they earn versus giving money out to someone else then there's just nothing to discuss.
I did not compare tax cuts to loan forgiveness, only the campaigning part.

I didn't know that republicans favoring lower taxes was such a controversial subject. Maybe they finally have seen the fault in trickle down economics?

If there was no debt, youd both have a point. In our reality, it seems reasonable to discuss/compare/contrast the vehicles being used to increase our debt. In our current env, both should be condemed but thats not the case apparently. Would either of you like to take a shot at explain why you think growing the debt via tax cuts is "better" than via loan forgiveness?

The government collected 4.9 Trillion in taxes in FY22. 850 Billion more than last year.

So yeah, the collection isnt the problem, the spending is.

ETA: Gov spent 6.2 Trillion in FY22

If there was no debt, youd both have a point. In our reality, it seems reasonable to discuss/compare/contrast the vehicles being used to increase our debt. In our current env, both should be condemed but thats not the case apparently. Would either of you like to take a shot at explain why you think growing the debt via tax cuts is "better" than via loan forgiveness?
It's pretty simple, if you expand the debt via a tax cut you can always recoup that by reinstating that tax. If you keep taxes where they are and forgive debt or spend and end up with that same deficit, you have less runway now to add revenues to offset spending. Eventually if you keep spending, you run out of people to tax.

That's the mathematical answer, there's a philosophical/moral one as well as to how much is really right to redistribute, even though we all acknowledge we already have that to some degree. From merely a theoretical exercise, I'd be willing to pay significantly more in taxes today for some set period of time if I knew that it was going to deficit/debt reduction. We take our medicine and work our way out of it. But we all know that isn't reality, some politician's pet project or entitlement would tout that as a "pay for" and we would end up worse off in the end.

Last edited:

It's pretty simple, if you expand the debt via a tax cut you can always recoup that by reinstating that tax. If you keep taxes where they are and forgive debt or spend and end up with that same deficit, you have less runway now to add revenues to offset spending. Eventually if you keep spending, you run out of people to tax.

That's the mathematical answer, there's a philosophical/moral one as well as to how much is really right to redistribute, even though we all acknowledge we already have that to some degree. From merely a theoretical exercise, I'd be willing to pay significantly more in taxes today for some set period of time if I knew that it was going to deficit/debt reduction. We take our medicine and work our way out of it. But we all know that isn't reality, some politician's pet project or entitlement would tout that as a "pay for" and we would end up worse off in the end.
The "IFs" in the first paragraph are inconsistent with our reality, so let's go with our reality which is that when we expand the debt via tax cuts we NEVER recoup the money by reinstating the taxes, at least not completely. So, that' puts you in basically the same place as keeping taxes where they are and forgiving debt. If you want to do hypotheticals (see what I did there ;) ) then your first paragraph should also include the scenario where the debt is forgiven but we raise taxes to pay for it. That's as likely to happen as the one you formulated. So, understanding our reality, I don't really understand how those two are all that different. In my view you're merely arguing about which path to more debt is "better".

To the philosophical/moral one we aren't all that far off..., especially on the bold, but again, that's not our reality and it really doesn't do much to address my question about the two being different in some meaningful way because we both know, fiscal responsibility is lost on both these parties. It's not even worth entertaining the possibility at this point IMO. I find Biden's excuse that forgiveness would have some grandiose impact on our economy as a whole about as laughable as Trump's logic that the tax cuts provided, when they were, would lead to double-digit GDP and they'd pay for themselves that way. Both are nonsensical, so I'm still left wondering why folks see them as meaningfully different approaches.

The government collected 4.9 Trillion in taxes in FY22. 850 Billion more than last year.

Both are a huge problem. On the conservative side, the US misses out on about $1T a year in tax collections for a myriad of reasons, none more obvious than the fact we don't have enough people to make sure collections are happening.

The "IFs" in the first paragraph are inconsistent with our reality, so let's go with our reality which is that when we expand the debt via tax cuts we NEVER recoup the money by reinstating the taxes, at least not completely. So, that' puts you in basically the same place as keeping taxes where they are and forgiving debt. If you want to do hypotheticals (see what I did there ;) ) then your first paragraph should also include the scenario where the debt is forgiven but we raise taxes to pay for it. That's as likely to happen as the one you formulated. So, understanding our reality, I don't really understand how those two are all that different. In my view you're merely arguing about which path to more debt is "better".

To the philosophical/moral one we aren't all that far off..., especially on the bold, but again, that's not our reality and it really doesn't do much to address my question about the two being different in some meaningful way because we both know, fiscal responsibility is lost on both these parties. It's not even worth entertaining the possibility at this point IMO. I find Biden's excuse that forgiveness would have some grandiose impact on our economy as a whole about as laughable as Trump's logic that the tax cuts provided, when they were, would lead to double-digit GDP and they'd pay for themselves that way. Both are nonsensical, so I'm still left wondering why folks see them as meaningfully different approaches.
If you start from a tax saturation level of 50% and you are going to increase your deficit by either a tax reduction or additional spending there can only be one answer. Reducing taxes will reduce your saturation level below 50%. To tread water if you do the same via spending, debt forgiveness, some other vehicle, you would stay at the 50%, thereby having less room between that and the level you cannot tax another dollar. That was our initial discussion, at least from my viewpoint. We are looking at two options, each with the same deficit at the end of it, one is achieved via a tax reduction, the second being achieved via a spending increase. I don't think mathematically it can be argued which puts us in a worse position because we end up with the same deficit, yet one has now reduced our ability to collect future revenues.

If you want the economic reasons behind it, you must look at things in vacuums and isolate them. The reality is one is rarely tied to the other, we merely spend like drunken sailors. Of course the willingness to pay more to reduce debt is merely a theoretical one, it will never be the case. But again, if you end up with the same deficit, it is beneficial to do it from lower taxes rather than increased spending because proportionally to fix the problem, you at least have that incremental tax revenue to go after to fix the issue down the road because there is going to be more ability to pay those taxes going forward due to a lower saturation point today. If you want to say both are bad, that's fine and I'd agree. But there is definitely a difference in which creates a more recoverable situation, even though we continue to spiral this plane down toward the ground I'd rather have the option with more altitude to try and fix it.

Last edited:

Both are a huge problem. On the conservative side, the US misses out on about $1T a year in tax collections for a myriad of reasons, none more obvious than the fact we don't have enough people to make sure collections are happening.
At the least the blame for the lack of taxes from the loss from the carried interest loophole isn't on the red team anymore.

Depends on what you mean by better.

Better philosophically because as I said confiscating less from an individual is to me much better than randomly forgiving the repayment of an item that someone acquired.

In terms of managing the debt neither are as good as not doing them, I wouldn’t currently do either. But I certainly wouldn’t raise taxes and forgive debt.

If you start from a tax saturation level of 50% and you are going to increase your deficit by either a tax reduction or additional spending there can only be one answer. Reducing taxes will reduce your saturation level below 50%. To tread water if you do the same via spending, debt forgiveness, some other vehicle, you would stay at the 50%, thereby having less room between that and the level you cannot tax another dollar. That was our initial discussion, at least from my viewpoint. We are looking at two options, each with the same deficit at the end of it, one is achieved via a tax reduction, the second being achieved via a spending increase. I don't think mathematically it can be argued which puts us in a worse position because we end up with the same deficit, yet one has now reduced our ability to collect future revenues.

If you want the economic reasons behind it, you must look at things in vacuums and isolate them. The reality is one is rarely tied to the other, we merely spend like drunken sailors. Of course the willingness to pay more to reduce debt is merely a theoretical one, it will never be the case. But again, if you end up with the same deficit, it is beneficial to do it from lower taxes rather than increased spending because proportionally to fix the problem, you at least have that incremental tax revenue to go after to fix the issue down the road because there is going to be more ability to pay those taxes going forward due to a lower saturation point today. If you want to say both are bad, that's fine and I'd agree. But there is definitely a difference in which creates a more recoverable situation, even though we continue to spiral this plane down toward the ground I'd rather have the option with more altitude to try and fix it.
Fair enough...I didn't get this from your initial question I was attempting to answer. My viewpoint is from the here and now and reality of what goes on in DC day to day. From that perspecitve, and how they actually behave, I see no meaningful difference to the average person on how they grow the debt. The burden we are going to have to pay is is going to be the burden regardless of how they get there. The the economic philosophies of how they get there likely don't matter. This is why people compare the two. Philosophically, I don't disagree other than to point out in your hypo, it assumes (or I assume it assumes) that we don't raise our debt ceiling. That's when the tax saturation might be valid, but again, you are coming from a philosophical perspecitve. I also assume you make your stopping point at 100% I'm coming from a "reality of how DC is completely screwed up and operates" perspective. Thanks for explaining :thumbup:

Last edited:
At the least the blame for the lack of taxes from the loss from the carried interest loophole isn't on the red team anymore.
At best, it's not contributing to the problem anymore. It might not be making the problem worse now, but it certainly helped create the major problem we still have. Need to be doing a better job at setting the bar if this is where we're at.

Define rich.

good question

rich as in assets or rich as in income are two different things, right ? a person can have 500 acres and a 2500 sf home paid off, $3,000,000 in savings but no income and they're rich IMO ........... and a person can have very little in assets but a $350,000 a year job and that seems rich too doesn't it ? you can also have a person with a business making $2.5 mil a year but they're breaking even because of how they're having to invest back into their company to grow it

taxable income ..... I guess that's a base for discussing taxation of income and rich/poor? fact is, "rich" pay the bulk of the income taxes and so when it comes to tax reductions, they'll of course see more than people who aren't paying into the system much

Silly for tax cuts and give-aways like debt forgiveness to be compared.

exactly right

tax cuts are reductions on what the Govt takes - monetary loans where people took money and then taxpayers are stuck with that debt because Biden/Democrats want votes is totally different

now, if Biden will forgive my $40,000 in Bass Cat loan ........... maybe he can buy my vote ? naw .......... but i'd pause and think about it :)

many problems with it - #1 is the complexity of taxation for wealthier people

instead of hiring 87,000 more people to demand money from American's - how about simplify the taxation ? but lets be honest - our elected peoples are rich, and they want their avenues to hide/evade taxes

if we're going to have 87,000 new IRS agents hunting down American's to get more taxes, lets dedicate 870 of them to focusing only on elected officials across the USA - targeting them first.

instead of hiring 87,000 more people to demand money from American's - how about simplify the taxation ? but lets be honest - our elected peoples are rich, and they want their avenues to hide/evade taxes

if we're going to have 87,000 new IRS agents hunting down American's to get more taxes, lets dedicate 870 of them to focusing only on elected officials across the USA - targeting them first.

Small businesses will be hit the hardest with the new IRS agents. There was a study about the probable effects of the new agents, middle class will see a massive jump in audits. Thank god my tax guy handles all that stuff for me.

It's not either/or....it's both. The IRS is woefully understaffed and the tax code is nothing more than all the benefits for the wealthy they didn't have the balls to put in actual legislation. Been this way for decades and decades. There's no question that some have been attempting to "starve the beast" in terms of a functioning IRS and it's costing us taxpayers trillions every year. If people will take a second and pay a little bit of attention, they'd see a recurring theme.

Reactions: Zow

It's not either/or....it's both. The IRS is woefully understaffed and the tax code is nothing more than all the benefits for the wealthy they didn't have the balls to put in actual legislation. Been this way for decades and decades. There's no question that some have been attempting to "starve the beast" in terms of a functioning IRS and it's costing us taxpayers trillions every year. If people will take a second and pay a little bit of attention, they'd see a recurring theme.

You talk about the government taxing people like it's the government's money and the taxpayer is trying to keep them from having it.

Small businesses will be hit the hardest with the new IRS agents. There was a study about the probable effects of the new agents, middle class will see a massive jump in audits. Thank god my tax guy handles all that stuff for me.

sure - those agents will have goals to meet, to search, hunt and find money and that's who they'll target

Biden/Democrats .... another record they set (adding new agents) ... gotta love it

You talk about the government taxing people like it's the government's money and the taxpayer is trying to keep them from having it.

what bothers me most is a Fed Govt that has spent 32 trillion more than it had to spend ......... and now its going to hire 87,000 new IRS agents, targeting working American's in order to get MORE money

while at the same time, ignoring the millions here working illegally and not paying income taxes at all

unbelievable isn't it ?

You're conflating two topics. One is the amount of tax the government takes from us. That I haven't talked about at all. The other is how they spend the money they are provided via taxes. The comment above is about the second part. Once it's established that we "owe" (quotes are specifically for you) them $X, it's on them to be good stewards of that money and use it to fund the legislation/laws that they pass. Neither group is doing that. Instead, they are intentionally misappropriating money to use elsewhere as they want to, ignoring the funding of our laws/processes that THEY create merely because they don't like them or think them unfair. Look at IRS funding. Look at our border. Look at Social Security. We can keep going, but I think you get the point. Instead of growing a coalition to CHANGE these programs, some think it acceptable just to ignore them financially and hope they go away. That's ********* IMO, but a great many seem to be fans of the approach.

At best, it's not contributing to the problem anymore. It might not be making the problem worse now, but it certainly helped create the major problem we still have. Need to be doing a better job at setting the bar if this is where we're at.
I think you missed the sarcasm there, GB. :p Kirsten Sinema, D, held up the spend plan to ensure that this was excised and she got her wish. This was her sole demand for her vote. From now till eternity the carried interest loophole still existing is on the blue team.

And they say Republicans are the party of the rich. Bollocks, I say! Take a gander at Ms. Sinema.

Lets remember that the reason starve the beast is around is largely because the IRS turned political under Obama and persecuted conservative groups. To get that funding back it's incumbent on the IRS to show that they're a non partisan group again. That's hard to do - it's terribly easy to lose trust and hard to get it back.

And, let's face it, right now they don't deserve the trust. Just recently we had the IRS leak a massive trove of high wealth tax returns. The IRS put Albert and Costello on the chase and predictably nothing has been found to identify the bad actor(s). Yellen keeps testifying that "we're still looking" which we know is BS. It's all a sad, predictable state of affairs where the hand behind the curtain is still using the IRS as it's own little partisan attack group.

Last edited:

Lets remember that the reason starve the beast is around is largely because the IRS turned political under Obama and persecuted conservative groups. To get that funding back it's incumbent on the IRS to show that they're a non partisan group again. That's hard to do - it's terribly easy to lose trust and hard to get it back.

And, let's face it, right now they don't deserve the trust. Just recently we had the IRS leak a massive trove of high wealth tax returns. The IRS put Albert and Costello on the chase and predictably nothing has been found to identify the bad actor(s). Yellen keeps testifying that "we're still looking" which we know is BS. It's all a sad, predictable state of affairs where the hand behind the curtain is still using the IRS as it's own little partisan attack group.
Oh ********...come on dude!!! :lmao:

That concept has been around since before Obama was even born. We see it deployed frequently...it's not a unique tactic being used against the IRS.

I think you missed the sarcasm there, GB. :p Kirsten Sinema, D, held up the spend plan to ensure that this was excised and she got her wish. This was her sole demand for her vote. From now till eternity the carried interest loophole still existing is on the blue team.

And they say Republicans are the party of the rich. Bollocks, I say! Take a gander at Ms. Sinema.
my fiscal conservatism doesn't really have a sense of humor and for sure knows no political favoring. :shrug:

You're conflating two topics. One is the amount of tax the government takes from us. That I haven't talked about at all. The other is how they spend the money they are provided via taxes. The comment above is about the second part. Once it's established that we "owe" (quotes are specifically for you) them $X, it's on them to be good stewards of that money and use it to fund the legislation/laws that they pass. Neither group is doing that. Instead, they are intentionally misappropriating money to use elsewhere as they want to, ignoring the funding of our laws/processes that THEY create merely because they don't like them or think them unfair. Look at IRS funding. Look at our border. Look at Social Security. We can keep going, but I think you get the point. Instead of growing a coalition to CHANGE these programs, some think it acceptable just to ignore them financially and hope they go away. That's ********* IMO, but a great many seem to be fans of the approach.

we agree on the bolded

the answer isn't to hire 87000 more IRS agents to hunt people down to take more taxes from them

That concept has been around since before Obama was even born. We see it deployed frequently...it's not a unique tactic being used against the IRS.

man that's an easy way to avoid talking about the IRS literally targeting conservative

if the concept has been around and is frequently deployed can you point to the IRS being guilty of targeting liberals for politics ?

i doubt you can

man that's an easy way to avoid talking about the IRS literally targeting conservative

if the concept has been around and is frequently deployed can you point to the IRS being guilty of targeting liberals for politics ?

i doubt you can
Our border is a GLARING example of "starve the beast"...that's the concept we are talking about. Anything else?

we agree on the bolded

the answer isn't to hire 87000 more IRS agents to hunt people down to take more taxes from them
No...the reason for the 87K IRS agents is to help collect on the $1T we lose out on every single year because we don't have enough people in place to enforce our bloated tax code.

Again, you make it sound like it's the governments money. It's my money. It's your money. And here comes the government to take our lunch money because they say so. Taxation is theft.

Fair enough...I didn't get this from your initial question I was attempting to answer. My viewpoint is from the here and now and reality of what goes on in DC day to day. From that perspecitve, and how they actually behave, I see no meaningful difference to the average person on how they grow the debt. The burden we are going to have to pay is is going to be the burden regardless of how they get there. The the economic philosophies of how they get there likely don't matter. This is why people compare the two. Philosophically, I don't disagree other than to point out in your hypo, it assumes (or I assume it assumes) that we don't raise our debt ceiling. That's when the tax saturation might be valid, but again, you are coming from a philosophical perspecitve. I also assume you make your stopping point at 100% I'm coming from a "reality of how DC is completely screwed up and operates" perspective. Thanks for explaining :thumbup:
I understand and I agree in reality we very well may end up in the same place from a deficit and debt situation, neither party has been responsible. I would disagree though on the debt ceiling changing things. I'm not staking my belief in there being a limit to the debt, it's just a situation of when we are even in a worse debt spot than we are today, it's easier to come back and raise revenues from lower tax rates than higher ones. If we end up owing $40T and our average effective tax rate is 28%, it's easier to raise revenues to fix the issue than if we end up with a $40T debt at a 40% effective tax rate. That's why it's my belief that it matters very much on how we get there.

That's why I'd prefer if we are ending up at the same crappy spot in the road, I'd rather do it with a tax cut rather than for instance a new entitlement that's likely only to grow. One you at least have the possibility to recover from, the other is likely to only grow in spending. Take the student debt relief program, does anyone here really think that it stops with those who are receiving it under the rules Biden set forth? What about those whose debt is now owned by private companies? The kids in school today who are paying even more than those forgiven? The kids in 5 years? We all know we haven't done anything to fix the issue of cost so we know that those costs certainly aren't going to decrease. I can't come up with a reason to deny them debt forgiveness when we arbitrarily chose another group.

No...the reason for the 87K IRS agents is to help collect on the $1T we lose out on every single year because we don't have enough people in place to enforce our bloated tax code.

allegedly "lose" .......... but we know paying taxes isn't that big a deal or we'd never allow millions of people living and working in the USA who don't pay their taxes

there is absolutely no way the IRS will collect a trillion dollars more - absolutely no way, its a created number and reason to hire 87,000

how about 87,000 school guardians ........ or 87,000 border agents .....

Our border is a GLARING example of "starve the beast"...that's the concept we are talking about. Anything else?

no, its a glaring example of horrible policy from an administration hell bent on open border

not the same at all
No....it's really not. Our border has been a problem for decades and it started with the lack of funding to process people correctly/efficiently through the proper channels. It would do you a little bit of good and read some relatively unbiased history on our border problems and not just take the word of our current US media machine. They are leading you astray terribly :shrug: They have you focused on symptoms instead of the actual problem. Though, you'll get no disagreement from me that this admin has clearly continued that poor decision making. I expect nothing less. Neither "side" here gains anything by solving the problem.

allegedly "lose" .......... but we know paying taxes isn't that big a deal or we'd never allow millions of people living and working in the USA who don't pay their taxes

there is absolutely no way the IRS will collect a trillion dollars more - absolutely no way, its a created number and reason to hire 87,000

No....actuaries have done massive amounts of study on this....it's pretty accurate. You could bet your kid's life on it. And you're right, 87K IRS agents/processors likely isn't enough to collect on all we are missing out on.

• Love
we agree on the bolded

Again, you make it sound like it's the governments money. It's my money. It's your money. And here comes the government to take our lunch money because they say so. Taxation is theft.
Hear what you want I guess....I explained what I was saying about as clearly as I could in the other reply. :shrug:

If you want to argue that taxes are unjust, have it at. That's a completely unrelated argument you seem hellbent to intertwine with mine.

Last edited:

we agree on the bolded

Sure it is - provided the mathematical analysis shows that a significant % of people cheat their taxes and hiring that amount of agents will pay for more than the cost of those agents' salaries.

Those of us who honestly pay our taxes get cheated by those who don't because, if everybody honestly paid, then there's a good chance taxes could go down.

we agree on the bolded

I'm as fiscally conservative as most staunch fiscal conservatives, but the bold is just legally errant. It's not theft when the populace consents to living in the jurisdictions with such taxes and the government is comprised of elected officials stemming from the populace.

To use your analogy, taxation is simply akin to somebody going out for lunch and having to pay the bill as advertised on the menu or whatever. I assume you don't think it's "theft" of the eatery to charge for the lunch provided after having given fair and adequate notice of the cost, right?

If you genuinely think taxation is theft I seriously hope you never:
- drive on public roads that don't have a separate toll
- expect police, firefighters, and our military to respond/protect you when you need it
- go to libraries
- use free wifi hosted by a municipality or other government agencies
- send your kid to public schools
- etc.

With the excess revenue that the hiring of 87k IRS agents will produce, sure...

(Though I don't know what a "school guardian" is)

ETA: MY personal preference though would be to simply lower taxes/give a tax rebate than to spend more government money on border agents, etc.

Last edited:

I don't know if "allow" is the correct term, but I'd fully support a policy whereby we give undocumented people tax ID numbers so they can pay taxes in exchange for some sort of set time they may remain in the country. Treat it like a work VISA.

Dammit Zow. You make so much sense then have to ruin it by continuing to self identify as a “fiscal conservative”. 🤣

• Laughing
we agree on the bolded

I'm as fiscally conservative as most staunch fiscal conservatives, but the bold is just legally errant. It's not theft when the populace consents to living in the jurisdictions with such taxes and the government is comprised of elected officials stemming from the populace.

To use your analogy, taxation is simply akin to somebody going out for lunch and having to pay the bill as advertised on the menu or whatever. I assume you don't think it's "theft" of the eatery to charge for the lunch provided after having given fair and adequate notice of the cost, right?

If you genuinely think taxation is theft I seriously hope you never:
- drive on public roads that don't have a separate toll
- expect police, firefighters, and our military to respond/protect you when you need it
- go to libraries
- use free wifi hosted by a municipality or other government agencies
- send your kid to public schools
- etc.

I am more than willing to pay for use of local services on an as needed basis.

I don't use libraries, my kids don't go to public school, I don't use public wifi or have a need to (I have unlimited data). Anything else I should pay for that I don't use?

Now that I think about it, maybe we should do an a la carte service payment plan (you can call it paying taxes). I'll pay for those services that I wish to participate in to get a tax bill at the end of the year and those services that I don't want or need, I don't have to pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread