What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Lebowski - I get the worship (1 Viewer)

Sherry in 'Logjammin': [on video] You must be here to fix the cable.

Maude Lebowski: Lord. You can imagine where it goes from here.

The Dude: He fixes the cable?

Maude Lebowski: Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.
This line always gets me. :lmao:
:goodposting:

My favorite line of the movie, followed by:

"How did the meeting go, Mr. Lebowski?"

"Great. He said I could have any rug in the place."

Not only was the line great, but the he delivered it, completely unfazed, after having been berated for being a bum.

Can't speak for anyone else, but:

1) Like the way the Coen Bros. put together most of their movies anyway.

2) Liked their retelling of the original story.

3) I think every character was perfectly cast and pefectly acted.

4) Jeff Bridges' dancing was sublime.

The only thing I didn't like was how often they used the f bomb.

What the #### you talking about?

What the #### you talking about?
What the #### am I talking about? What the #### are you talking about?

Probably my all-time favorite movie scene. Goodman throws guy's ashes in The Dude's face and he just stands there not moving. Just so awesome.

Probably my all-time favorite movie scene. Goodman throws guy's ashes in The Dude's face and he just stands there not moving. Just so awesome.
That's on my short list of movie moments that make me laugh out loud every time no matter how times I see them. So awesome, indeed.

I think my only problem with Lebowski is that Jeff Bridges has taken the Dude and applied him as the foundation of pretty much every character he has played since.

Last edited by a moderator:
First half of Lebowski was hilarious. Then it kind of lost me.
I'm kind of in the same boat. But I find that most comedies--even the great ones--tend to be like that. For some reason, the writers/directors feel a need to tell a story rather than just commit to the comedy. That's why I think Animal House is the greatest comedy of all time.

Sometimes you gotta look deep to find the common thread between people.

I rented and saw it for first time last night. :bag:

I can see how you have to watch it a few times to have it grow on you.

Cult status people must be either super lazy or angry people to relate to it so quickly. :lmao:

Have you ever heard of a little show called Branded dude? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Bulk of the series. Not exactly a lightweight.

My favorite line of the movie
Love that one too. That one plus a few others get me every time even though I've seen the movie probably 50 times:

"You want a toe? I'll get you a toe by 3:30. There are ways dude. You don't wanna know."

"That's an ingenious plan Walter if I understand it correctly, that's a switch ####### watch."

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

"I had a rough night and I hate the ####in eagles man!"

My favorite line of the movie
Love that one too. That one plus a few others get me every time even though I've seen the movie probably 50 times:

"You want a toe? I'll get you a toe by 3:30. There are ways dude. You don't wanna know."

"That's an ingenious plan Walter if I understand it correctly, that's a switch ####### watch."

I thought getting kicked out of the cab for hating the Eagles was pretty funny.

Police Chief: Mr. Treehorn draws a lot of water in this town. You don't draw ####, Lebowski. Now we got a nice, quiet little beach community here, and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around, bothering our citizens, Lebowski. I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off. Do I make myself clear?

The Dude: I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

:goodposting: My favorite line of the movie

I thought getting kicked out of the cab for hating the Eagles was pretty funny.
I have to repeat that line every time the Eagles come on the radio. It drives my wife nuts, which admittedly, is part of the allure.

Cult status people must be either super lazy or angry people to relate to it so quickly. :lmao:
I had to watch it a few times. At first, I found it very meh.

Does get better with each viewing but its still a collection of one liners and solid scenes. 7/10

Seemed like two different movies to me. I was laughing a lot in the beginning but it kind of fizzled out in the second half.

Sometimes there's man...

Saw it in the theater in '97 and loved it the first time. Obviously I had to see it a few more times to catch all of it.

Saw it in the theater in '97 and loved it the first time. Obviously I had to see it a few more times to catch all of it.
I think that is the key to most cult movies. Gotta be jam-packed with stuff that you pick up on each time you watch (at least for quite number of viewings). I have turned on a lot of people to Shakes the Clown over the last 20+ years. Many of them didn't like it much overall at first ...though found a few parts pretty funny. The 2nd time they liked more and by the 3rd time they were hooked.

I love the Big Lebowski - same deal with picking up a ton of stuff that fly by the first couple of times watching. Top 5 - 10 movies, not just comedies for me of all time.

Though I have to say - not a fan of the dance scene down the stairs, but I hate almost all musicals, or musical-like scenes.

Pretty simple for me: it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Comedy is subjective, though, so not everyone will agree.

And let's not forget--let's not forget, dude--that keeping wildlife...uh...an amphibious rodent... for, uh, domestic, you know, within the city limits... That ain't legal either.

What are you, a ####### park ranger now? Who gives a #### about the ####### marmot?!

The animal in the bathtub scene was neither a marmot, nor a rodent, nor amphibious. But that's part of the reason why it was so funny.

I think that is the key to most cult movies. Gotta be jam-packed with stuff that you pick up on each time you watch (at least for quite number of viewings). I have turned on a lot of people to Shakes the Clown over the last 20+ years. Many of them didn't like it much overall at first ...though found a few parts pretty funny. The 2nd time they liked more and by the 3rd time they were hooked.

I love the Big Lebowski - same deal with picking up a ton of stuff that fly by the first couple of times watching. Top 5 - 10 movies, not just comedies for me of all time.

Though I have to say - not a fan of the dance scene down the stairs, but I hate almost all musicals, or musical-like scenes.
I hope this was an exception: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

Was watching Starman last night and it was difficult sitting through it hearing Jeff Bridges' voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgF2lbAL6RA. I didn't realize that it was a John Carpenter film.

Users who are viewing this thread