What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (2 Viewers)

This 2nd half of the Big Ten season is setting up nicely for Indiana...

at Purdue WIN

vs Illinois WIN

vs Northwestern WIN

at Iowa

vs North Carolina Central

at Minnesota

vs Michigan State

vs Purdue

0 to 2 losses left, combine that with the Kentucky and OSU wins and it should setup for a nice NCAA seed.

at Purdue WIN

vs Illinois WIN

vs Northwestern WIN

at Iowa

at Minnesota

vs Michigan State

vs Purdue

0 to 2 losses left, combine that with the Kentucky and OSU wins and it should setup for a nice NCAA seed.
dont look past the Eagles of NCCU,,,, :unsure:

at Purdue WIN

vs Illinois WIN

vs Northwestern WIN

at Iowa

at Minnesota

vs Michigan State

vs Purdue

dont look past the Eagles of NCCU,,,, :unsure:
NCCU, OSU, UK; everyone who comes to Bloomington, IN is coming to lose. :yes: (except the Gophers, this year only).

Not sure if OSU or MSU can get a #1 seed.

Barring total collapses, Kentucky in the South and Syracuse in the East are locks.

Big 12 winner (Kansas/Mizzou) gets #1 in West.

Midwest is the only Region up for grabs. OSU or MSU could get the #1 there if either wins the B1G tourney and Kansas/Missouri falter down the stretch or get eliminated early in the B12 tourney. If OSU doesn't, they're locked in at the 2 seed in the South. If MSU doesn't, they're locked in at the 2 seed in the Midwest.

Purdue's Kelsey Barlow off team

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Purdue kicked guard Kelsey Barlow off the team Friday and suspended swingman D.J. Byrd for a pivotal late-season game following an early-morning incident at a bar.

Lt. Gary Sparger of the West Lafayette police said officers were called to Where Else bar near the Purdue campus just before 3 a.m. after a disturbance. Both Barlow and Byrd were there when police arrived.

Police are investigating an allegation that Byrd assaulted one of the bar's bouncers. Sparger said Barlow had been kicked out of the bar earlier that night, then told bar staff he had left his wallet inside but was not allowed back in.

Byrd was arrested by Indiana State Police for public intoxication and spent five hours in jail. He will miss Sunday's home game against Michigan State (No. 8 ESPN/USA Today, No. 7 AP) as the Boilermakers (17-9, 7-6 Big Ten) try to improve their record and RPI in hopes of an NCAA tournament berth.

In a statement, Purdue said the players were punished for violating unspecified team rules.

"This is an unfortunate situation, but we will move forward as a program," coach Matt Painter said. "We expect our student-athletes to live up to a high standard, and when their actions become detrimental to the program, there are consequences."

The school said it would have no further comment.

Barlow, a 6-foot-5 guard from Indianapolis, started 22 of 26 games this season, averaging 24.3 minutes and 8 points. Byrd, a 6-5 player from Crawfordsville, Ind., had started four games, averaging 17.1 minutes and giving the Boilermakers a deep threat with 45 percent shooting from 3-point range.

Barlow was suspended just before last year's NCAA tournament for conduct detrimental to the team. The Boilermakers lost in the second round to VCU.

Police were expected to file their report with the Tippecanoe County prosecutor's office by Tuesday. A message left at the bar was not immediately returned.

State police declined to comment on the matter, saying the county prosecutor's office would release information. The prosecutor's office did not return repeated calls for information.

LINK

If Michigan is able to pull off the upset against Ohio St., they would have a really good shot at a share of the conference championship or better. Their remaining schedule after that game is pretty weak, all games against the bottom half of the Big Ten (though mostly on the road), while MSU and Ohio St. still have tough schedules. Unfortunately I think their perfect home record goes out the window on Saturday though.
Yeah, looking at their remaining schedule, if they win tonight they're arguably the favorite to win the conference.On the other hand, MSU has played well enough in its last couple games to beat anybody anywhere. So maybe the schedule won't matter.

Nebraska is blowing out Illinois. That really is going to put Webber on the hot seat. I thought Webber was going to last a bit longer, but he is gone if they aren't in the dance.

I think it is cool that Northwestern is making a good case for a bid. I see the Illini falling out of the picture and Northwestern sliding into about a 12th seed, assuming they can hold on tonight and continue playing well the rest of the way. Until recently, I did not even realize that Northwestern has not been to the big dance in their history.

Ohio is playing really flat tonight. Not taking it inside much, can't knock down any threes. They are lucky they are only down 7.

Ohio is playing really flat tonight. Not taking it inside much, can't knock down any threes. They are lucky they are only down 7.
They are, and the shooting has been horrible. But these refs are a joke. Just in the second half alone the announcers have had go say that OSU has gotten jobbed about 5 or 6 times now. They're getting raped in the paint on offense with no calls and Michigan is getting shooting fouls when Buckeye players are either in position or not even hitting them.

:lmao:

The Ohio State player literally got pulled down from behind from the Michigan player and the refs called traveling on the OSU guy.

Then Craft got absolutely hammered going to the hoop and there is no call.

Whatever. OSU played like garbage but the refs made sure they had no chance to win.

:lmao:The Ohio State player literally got pulled down from behind from the Michigan player and the refs called traveling on the OSU guy.Then Craft got absolutely hammered going to the hoop and there is no call.Whatever. OSU played like garbage but the refs made sure they had no chance to win.
:lmao:That's Big Ten basketball.Don't be sore because Ohio is soft.HAIL!

Nice win by Michigan over Ohio. Nobody would have given Michigan much of a chance at a Big Ten title at the beginning of the season, but they are positioned pretty well to get a share of the title.

:lmao:The Ohio State player literally got pulled down from behind from the Michigan player and the refs called traveling on the OSU guy.Then Craft got absolutely hammered going to the hoop and there is no call.Whatever. OSU played like garbage but the refs made sure they had no chance to win.
If they had given the Buckeyes the same leeway on the other end that would have been fine, but Michigan guys were getting to go to the line when OSU players didn't even touch them.It was a joke. That officiating crew should be suspended for that abomination. When even the announcers are forced to constantly point out the bad calls, you know there's a problem.

If they had given the Buckeyes the same leeway on the other end that would have been fine, but Michigan guys were getting to go to the line when OSU players didn't even touch them.It was a joke. That officiating crew should be suspended for that abomination. When even the announcers are forced to constantly point out the bad calls, you know there's a problem.
:lol: I'm pretty sure it was OSU in the double bonus at the end. Not Michigan.

No dog in the fight, but the smell of home cooking was very strong at the end of that one.
I think the Craft no call was crap, but the rest was called that way all game for both.
The travel was just as craptacular.Buford is a joke at this point. Offense is way too inconsistent. I thought this team was going to be fine this year, but it's looking like a S16 loss for The Ohio State University Buckeyes. Maybe they'll right the ship, maybe I'm underestimating conference road games...I just don't see them making a deep run right now.

No dog in the fight, but the smell of home cooking was very strong at the end of that one.
I think the Craft no call was crap, but the rest was called that way all game for both.
The travel was just as craptacular.Buford is a joke at this point. Offense is way too inconsistent. I thought this team was going to be fine this year, but it's looking like a S16 loss for The Ohio State University Buckeyes. Maybe they'll right the ship, maybe I'm underestimating conference road games...I just don't see them making a deep run right now.
I agree. Ohio State really should be closer to a 20 rank right now. They've been terrible over the last month and just haven't seemed to click the same since Sullinger hurt his ankle. Their shooting is abysmal.

OSU should be fine. They haven't played well as of late, but they will get it together come tourney time. They may drop to a 3 seed though. I see MSU getting a 2. OSU getting a 3. Michigan getting a 3/4. Indiana getting a 4/5. Wisconsin getting a 5. Purdue getting a 10. Northwestern getting a 12. Minnesota getting a 13. And Illinois missing and Webber getting canned, but winning the NIT.

Consider the officiating last night a make-up for last year when the the Big 10 allowed Sullinger to slam himself into defenders and draw fouls.

What stood out to me was the outside shooting. I haven't watched them all year, but do they miss wide open shots like that all the time? If Michigan wants to have any chance in the tournament they need to figure out how to defend the perimeter a little better. Fortunately OSU was off from outside or it wouldn't have been close.

Agree that OSU just isn't very good right now. Buford is killing them and if they have to rely on Thomas to bail them out forget about it, they'll never make the S16.

Agree that OSU just isn't very good right now. Buford is killing them and if they have to rely on Thomas to bail them out forget about it, they'll never make the S16.
They should. There really aren't that many good teams out there. If they get a third seed, they will have to beat someone like Northwestern in the first round and Purdue in the second. Even playing as bad as they are, they should be able to pull that off. Big 10 should have 4 or 5 teams in the sweet 16. Should be a fun tourney to watch.

They should. There really aren't that many good teams out there. If they get a third seed, they will have to beat someone like Northwestern in the first round and Purdue in the second. Even playing as bad as they are, they should be able to pull that off. Big 10 should have 4 or 5 teams in the sweet 16. Should be a fun tourney to watch.
You're right, I should have said bounced in the S16. They should make it there.

What stood out to me was the outside shooting. I haven't watched them all year, but do they miss wide open shots like that all the time? If Michigan wants to have any chance in the tournament they need to figure out how to defend the perimeter a little better. Fortunately OSU was off from outside or it wouldn't have been close.
There really has just been little consistency of anything good offensively...maybe besides Sully having what seems to be consistent stat lines. Losing a guy like Diebler, and not replacing him, is not talked about much and is absolutely huge. As much as I'm disappointed in Buford, I'm also disappointed (and suprised) by what looks to be zero offense from Craft. I thought he'd improve between his 1st and 2nd seasons. While it's nice to see Thomas take initiative, he is still a freakin' gun that doesn't always act like he knows his own game. That Thompson kid looked completeley lost out there last night. They are the 2nd youngest team in the top 25 and look to be playing the part.

Tim Frazier vs Jordan Taylor is going to be fun to watch, in what will probably not be a very close game overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
A large part of those open three point looks were due to doubling Sullinger constantly. There are only a handful of guys in the college game that require that sort of defensive gameplan, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Overall I though the D was very good, and the offense is a different animal with Hardaway Jr. actually a threat to score.

A large part of those open three point looks were due to doubling Sullinger constantly. There are only a handful of guys in the college game that require that sort of defensive gameplan, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Overall I though the D was very good, and the offense is a different animal with Hardaway Jr. actually a threat to score.
Their perimeter defense has been suspect a lot this year. I'll agree the team takes on a completely different identity when Hardaway is on.

Another impressive showing from MSU. :thumbup:
This team is jelling so well right now...so incredibly fun to watch. Especially going through what we did last season. Everyone has accepted their roles and does them well, the defense has been top-notch over the past 2-3 weeks.Best "team" effort I've seen over the last three years with our program.

ETA: Tommy even agrees with me:

"...life is good for Tom Izzo and Co. He even said today that on the list of teams he has coached, this one is not quite as talented as the best but is “No. 1 or No. 2” in terms of togetherness."
LINK

No offense to anyone, but I'm tired of hearing the "2nd youngest team in the top 25" excuses. Ohio State has plenty of experience. Bottom line, this was a National Title contender who it appears will finish 3rd in the Big 10. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if OSU was bounced in the the 1st weekend of the tourney.

Sullinger whines to the refs entirely way too much. He's lazy on defense away from the basket. For whatever reason, he's stopped passing as much out of the double-team. Yeah, guys aren't hitting shots, but trying to get through two and three defenders either results in a turnover, or a crap shot more often than not.

William Buford's arms are moving left to right way too much in his shot. He's always had a little of the left to right motion, but not to this extent. It's been getting worse as the season wears on. The shot selection in the previous two losses can only be described as horrid, at best.

Aaron Craft is a great defender, an above average point guard, and a below average scorer.

DeShaun Thomas - He's not a good 3 point shooter despite the game against Michigan. His game needs to be 15 feet and in. More importantly, get on the block more. He's also much better at guarding lumbering 4 men instead of athletic 4 men.

Lenzelle Thomas - Still waiting for him to be more assertive on the offensive end. I could drive a Truck through the lanes teams are giving him. Guess it's not going to happen.

Thad Matta - Great coach, but he has a team that is reportedly not getting along. It's time to sit Buford and Smith down to send a message. And sitting them down when a game is easily in hand is not sending a message. If they play like #### against MSU again, then guys need to be embarassed. Act like a child, then be treated like a child.

Signed, one disappointed Buckeye hoops fan.

3 seeds normally don't play teams like Purdue in the 2nd round. If things go according to plan, then the 3 seed plays the 6 seed. 6 seeds are usually a top 25 team. Purdue is not a top 25 team. IF Northwestern gets in, then they'll more than likely be a 10 seed, no worse than a 12.ETA: Northwestern has preseason wins against LSU and Seton Hall. Their only preseason losses were to Baylor and Creighton... Good for the RPI, and not bad losses. They've beat MSU, and if we assume they get in, then we're assuming they win the games they're supposed to, and then beat one of Michigan or OSU. Add the wins against the middle of the road Big 10 teams, and Northwestern's resume is pretty damn good.

Sullinger whines to the refs entirely way too much. He's lazy on defense away from the basket. For whatever reason, he's stopped passing as much out of the double-team. Yeah, guys aren't hitting shots, but trying to get through two and three defenders either results in a turnover, or a crap shot more often than not.
He always has that "I dont give a #### look" on his face. Curous as to how he is as a team leader. I dont really hear too much about that side of him.Your post reminds me a lot of my posts about MSU's team last year. Highly rated, lots of talent, but so frustrating and under-achieving.

3 seeds normally don't play teams like Purdue in the 2nd round. If things go according to plan, then the 3 seed plays the 6 seed. 6 seeds are usually a top 25 team. Purdue is not a top 25 team. IF Northwestern gets in, then they'll more than likely be a 10 seed, no worse than a 12.ETA: Northwestern has preseason wins against LSU and Seton Hall. Their only preseason losses were to Baylor and Creighton... Good for the RPI, and not bad losses. They've beat MSU, and if we assume they get in, then we're assuming they win the games they're supposed to, and then beat one of Michigan or OSU. Add the wins against the middle of the road Big 10 teams, and Northwestern's resume is pretty damn good.
Lunardi's Bracketology as of today (2/21/12):MSU 1 seed in WesttOSU 2 seed in MidwestUM 3 seed in EastWisky 4 seed in SouthIndy 5 seed in EastPurdue 10 seed WestNoWestern 12 seed (play-in) in West

If y'all are so frustrated - just start rooting for Michigan. They are a great team to follow.

You know you want to love Zack Novak.

Users who are viewing this thread