What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (1 Viewer)

Yeah, DC this year and NYC next year. I get why they're doing it but a lot of fans just don't want to travel that far, especially if they plan on travelling next week.

Either way, this is shaping up to be a helluva championship game. Michigan seemly can't miss and Bucky counter punching.
If they want a good crowd really excited about the game, need to have it in Chicago/Indy.  It is not an event you go out of your way for unless your team is in it and you don't know that until the day before.  So it has to be local to the most schools possible.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If they want a good crowd really excited about the game, need to have it in Chicago/Indy.  
Tickets for general seating or suites are at a premium in Indianapolis, and it ends up being a really cool event when you can stand in the middle of any open space and see fans from every team in the conference walking around.  I just hope they don't dilute the live experience to focus on market research.

Yeah, DC this year and NYC next year. I get why they're doing it but a lot of fans just don't want to travel that far, especially if they plan on travelling next week.

Either way, this is shaping up to be a helluva championship game. Michigan seemly can't miss and Bucky counter punching.
Michigan is getting better each game now; talk about peaking at the right time.

Mid January, there was talk of Beilein being on the hot seat.  Now he put together a team that you can get excited about.  

Not sure that matters. They are peaking at the right time. Teams like this can go a long way with the momentum they are building. Congrats on the tourney championship wolverines.
I agree seeding is fluid at best in terms of impact.  A team's confidence trumps their seeding.

strykerpks said:
Wow Bucky an 8 and MSU a 9? Gophers a 5?
Minnesota 5 while UW an 8 is ridiculous.

And not that the Badgers will win...but if they beat VT...pretty crappy draw for a #1 to have to play Wisconsin in the 2nd round.

The seedings for B1G teams are bizarre, to say the least.  Maryland two seeds ahead of Wisconsin and Northwestern is pretty silly.

Of course, as I understand it, the committee spends a total of approximately 90 minutes on the 6-11 seeds, and those are typically bizarre.

Big Ten Basketball 2016/2017 - Ready to Fight

That was a placeholder last summer, but it's become an absolute reality.  I feel a bit helpless, without a dog in this fight; but I want you to fight.

Fight like hell.  Confidence > seeding.

Committee:  Purdue > Minnesota > Maryland > Michigan > Wisconsin/Northwestern > Michigan St.

KenPom:  Purdue > Michigan > Wisconsin > Minnesota > Northwestern > Indiana > Michigan St. > Maryland

I think KenPom is much closer to reality.

Anyway, on to the tourney itself and Sweet Sixteen possibilities...  Purdue is certainly capable of winning the first two and getting to Kansas.  Ditto Minnesota, although Middle Tennessee St. won't be scared after last year.  I think Minnesota would have an easier time with Butler than Purdue would with Iowa St.  Maryland may have caught a break with a struggling and injury depleted Xavier team, although I can't imagine the Terps beating Florida St.  OK St. is sneaky good, but Michigan is killing it right now; they can beat Louisville if they get past the Cowboys.  If Wisconsin plays their best game, they have a puncher's chance at Villanova.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure Wisconsin has played their best game more than once or twice this year.  I like Northwestern, but even if they get past Vandy, Gonzaga is going to roll them.  Sparty and Miami?  Toss-up, and Izzo is Mr. March, but I'll take Miami.

Committee:  Purdue > Minnesota > Maryland > Michigan > Wisconsin/Northwestern > Michigan St.

KenPom:  Purdue > Michigan > Wisconsin > Minnesota > Northwestern > Indiana > Michigan St. > Maryland

I think KenPom is much closer to reality.

Anyway, on to the tourney itself and Sweet Sixteen possibilities...  Purdue is certainly capable of winning the first two and getting to Kansas.  Ditto Minnesota, although Middle Tennessee St. won't be scared after last year.  I think Minnesota would have an easier time with Butler than Purdue would with Iowa St.  Maryland may have caught a break with a struggling and injury depleted Xavier team, although I can't imagine the Terps beating Florida St.  OK St. is sneaky good, but Michigan is killing it right now; they can beat Louisville if they get past the Cowboys.  If Wisconsin plays their best game, they have a puncher's chance at Villanova.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure Wisconsin has played their best game more than once or twice this year.  I like Northwestern, but even if they get past Vandy, Gonzaga is going to roll them.  Sparty and Miami?  Toss-up, and Izzo is Mr. March, but I'll take Miami.
I'm not real confident. We are 0-2 versus Jim Larranaga

I hope Wisconsin takes this crappy seed as motivation. Northwestern chirped a bit before the matchup in the Big Ten tournament, and Wisconsin put a beat down on them. I hope they bring that same fire to it now.

Illinois fires John Groce.

Illinois reportedly willing to make Monty Williams one of the highest paid in NCAA per Adrian Wojnarowski but he's going to pass to stick in NBA.
Sounding like they're going to offer Tony Bennett big bucks to come from Virginia.

They've got to make a splash here and have the money to do it. Hiring another mid-major guy simply isn't going to cut it.

Gophers are going to prove all the Experts wrong who are picking MT. It's amazing how many imo; like a goregone conclusion that they lose apparently.

MN by 8 to 10. Let's play. 

ETA: MIddle TN favored by 1 now. 

Looks like today is the day for all but the Michigan schools.

Minnesota - Thursday, 4:00pm, TNT

Northwestern - Thursday, 4:30pm, TBS

Maryland - Thursday, 6:50pm, TBS

Purdue - Thursday, 7:27pm, truTV

Wisconsin - Thursday, 9:40pm, CBS

Michigan - Friday, 12:15pm, CBS

Michigan St. - Friday, 9:20pm, TNT

Crean fired  :sadbanana:
I can understand why many are disappointed.  Really has taken the program in a positive direction.  But he is just not a great coach.  Or really even a good game coach.  I hope they have someone big in the back pocket to replace him.  Alford is probably more of a lateral move if that is who they are targeting. 

Gophers are going to prove all the Experts wrong who are picking MT. It's amazing how many imo; like a goregone conclusion that they lose apparently.

A lot if not most experts are eyeing Oklahoma State to upset Michigan.  At least stumbling through about a dozen brackets, that was a popular upset in more than half the ones I saw.   

jon_mx said:
A lot if not most experts are eyeing Oklahoma State to upset Michigan.  At least stumbling through about a dozen brackets, that was a popular upset in more than half the ones I saw.   
I think those people are crazy. I think I have MI in the Final Four and I'm from MN. That may be pushing it but they've been awesome. 

I can see Wagner being in the running for B1G POY in 2017. 

I think those people are crazy. I think I have MI in the Final Four and I'm from MN. That may be pushing it but they've been awesome. 

I can see Wagner being in the running for B1G POY in 2017. 
Anything can happen in the NCAA, but Louisville is a huge hurdle and Kansas even bigger.  No way a favorite to come out of that bracket, but I would put them about the 4th best team in the region. 

johnnyrock62000 said:

I hope you're right, but not having Springs is a big loss for MN. 

Crean needed to go. They had great teams that never performed up to expectations. His recruiting classes were starting to fall off as well.

I want the Gregg Marshall dude from Witchita State. He gets paid what IU was paying Crean so they have to pony up more if he was even interested. 

Crean needed to go. They had great teams that never performed up to expectations. His recruiting classes were starting to fall off as well.

I want the Gregg Marshall dude from Witchita State. He gets paid what IU was paying Crean so they have to pony up more if he was even interested. 
I'd like that hire but before that they need a definite NO from Brad Stevens. Basically no chance he'd leave Boston but you have to make sure.

I'd like that hire but before that they need a definite NO from Brad Stevens. Basically no chance he'd leave Boston but you have to make sure.
As much as Stevens makes it sound like he is staying, he never completely rules it out.  I agree, get a definite no before looking elsewhere. 

Unless Stevens kills five hookers or something, he'll be able to take his pick of college jobs for the next 15-20 years. 
Yup. He's a stud coach. 

He was born and raised in Indiana, the Hoosiers would be a top choice of college jobs for him I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread