What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Draft Day pet peeves? (4 Viewers)

It's gotta be the guy who joins, bails out of the draft at the last minute, makes the league draft for him causing arguments, then wins the league with the team that everyone else drafted for him. But he never paid the entry fee because he missed the draft when everyone paid in so now there's another argument over whether he can collect winnings.

It's gotta be the guy who joins, bails out of the draft at the last minute, makes the league draft for him causing arguments, then wins the league with the team that everyone else drafted for him. But he never paid the entry fee because he missed the draft when everyone paid in so now there's another argument over whether he can collect winnings.
 You could have summed this up by just saying, bad commissioners .

I only do online drafts.

The guy that bugs me is the one that refused to read the rules BEFORE the draft.... but around round 10 acts like the rules of the league/draft are absurd because he just got around to reading them and actually thinks the rules should change half way through the draft to suit him and "threatens" everyone that he'll bail half way through the draft if the rules don't change.

I only do online drafts.

The guy that bugs me is the one that refused to read the rules BEFORE the draft.... but around round 10 acts like the rules of the league/draft are absurd because he just got around to reading them and actually thinks the rules should change half way through the draft to suit him and "threatens" everyone that he'll bail half way through the draft if the rules don't change.
NIce.

We have a guy who always give us the "we start 2 RBs, right?" question about half way through the draft every year.  Guy has been in the league like 8 years.......... :no:

Me and a friend now have a $10 side bet on the over/under round when the question gets asked.  

Last edited by a moderator:
surprised i haven't seen a few. Still is prevalent in my main league, but guys who draft a sleeper or deeper guy and can't even pronounce the name or know what team he plays for. Mostly dudes have an FBG membership or something, so the player pops up on their computer, but they have no idea who he even is. Drives me nutty.

If we are talking live, in person draft I have no problem with this. 

I look forward to drafting all off-season especially at a live in person 12 teamer where we are drinking and talking #### 

I don't care how long it takes to be honest
I agree to a point. 

Dude gets up at the “30 seconds, no pressure” warning, walks to the stickers. Starts shuffling pages. (They’re alphabetical - this ain’t rocket surgery) gets flustered, goes to the draft board, timer alarm sounds BZZZZT! 

From the room:

“Call your pick”

Dude keeps looking at the draft board, “is so-and-so taken?!?”

“2 rounds ago, dip####”

him: “awe crap - scrambled to the pile of stickers & starts searching for a pick, already a full 2-3 mins after his pick.

we’re an IDP league - we have 28 rounds. That’s just a killer. 

I agree to a point. 

Dude gets up at the “30 seconds, no pressure” warning, walks to the stickers. Starts shuffling pages. (They’re alphabetical - this ain’t rocket surgery) gets flustered, goes to the draft board, timer alarm sounds BZZZZT! 

From the room:

“Call your pick”

Dude keeps looking at the draft board, “is so-and-so taken?!?”

“2 rounds ago, dip####”

him: “awe crap - scrambled to the pile of stickers & starts searching for a pick, already a full 2-3 mins after his pick.

we’re an IDP league - we have 28 rounds. That’s just a killer. 
weird i guess our league eliminated this whole issue. If the timer goes off, you get skipped, and it can keep going. Can be funny when it goes on a run of like 10 picks before the guy can blurt out a name. 

and if it is an issue, cut down the time you have to make a pick

Love the guy in our league who every single year drafts like crap, and never makes the playoffs. But always claims "in my other leagues I always make the playoffs". LMAO.

weird i guess our league eliminated this whole issue. If the timer goes off, you get skipped, and it can keep going. Can be funny when it goes on a run of like 10 picks before the guy can blurt out a name. 

and if it is an issue, cut down the time you have to make a pick
We voted that in for last season. It was great - heckled the dude who missed 2 straight picks. Draft went smooth as silk after that. 

I expect this year to be great - should be very smooth.    :pickle:

Beer mooch pisses me off.  I only bring a sixer or so since we are there all ####### night but I always have to give one or two away to some mooch
Hate those too.  That is why I am hosting this year, making ribs and other foods and have more beer than most liquor stores prepared with flights for those that cant decide.

That's the one right there, drives me nuts. If you have the next pick and can't predraft two players you probably shouldn't be playing. The other is when a player is right before the turn, makes his pick and leaves when both owners after him have predrafted so essentially he has two picks in a row but makes everybody wait and additional four hours because he didn't ever bother to look.
Or worse, the one with 2 picks in a row makes his first pick, then leaves everyone waiting as he didn't make the second pick for hours/days.

FBG used to put out a dummy cheat sheet for this scenario. I'm sure it's on the interwebs somewhere.

ETA: Found it- http://blackeyedjoe.com/07bej_top200.htm
I'd love to find actual 2007 rankings and compare. (Found them here)
Some of their BS calls actually hit bigly.

Top 10 RBs were:
1) Tomlinson--actual finish #1
2) Portis--actual finish #4
3) Parker--actual finish #16
4) Addai--actual finish #5
5) Jackson--actual finish #14
6) Bush--actual finish #19
7) E. James--actual finish #10
8) Benson--actual finish #35
9) Peterson--actual finish #3
10) J. Jones--actual finish #43

Dodds 2007 rankings were:

1) Tomlinson
2) Jackson
3) L. Johnson--actual finish #39
4) Addai
5) Parker
6) Gore--actual finish #9
7) Westbrook--actual finish #2
8) T Henry--actual finish #38
9) Alexander--actual finish #34
10) Bush

Portis and Peterson were great picks by the pretend sheet.

Top 5 WR on the pretend sheet against Dodds are:

1) Johnson (pretend, finish #6) v. Steve Smith (Dodds, finish #16)
2) Moss (pretend, finish #1) v. Chad Johnson (Dodds, finish #6)
3) Fitzgerald (finish #5) v. Harrison (finish #102 injured)
4) Wayne (finish #4) v. Owens (finish #2)
5) Evans (finish #33) v. Wayne (finish #4)

If you ended up with Portis, Peterson and Moss through the first 3 rounds, you killed 2007. McNabb finished QB10 and wouldn't have hurt too much.

The guy who makes jokes every year that aren't funny.  "You should draft (insert local player) now (rounds before his adp)

Or "You should draft (player that is out the year)"

Or naming retired players.

After the draft when the IT guy from your work tells you how according to his spreadsheet, His team is far and away better than yours and shows you a bunch of color coordinated non-sense.

I'd love to find actual 2007 rankings and compare. (Found them here)
Some of their BS calls actually hit bigly.

Top 10 RBs were:
1) Tomlinson--actual finish #1
2) Portis--actual finish #4
3) Parker--actual finish #16
4) Addai--actual finish #5
5) Jackson--actual finish #14
6) Bush--actual finish #19
7) E. James--actual finish #10
8) Benson--actual finish #35
9) Peterson--actual finish #3
10) J. Jones--actual finish #43

Dodds 2007 rankings were:

1) Tomlinson
2) Jackson
3) L. Johnson--actual finish #39
4) Addai
5) Parker
6) Gore--actual finish #9
7) Westbrook--actual finish #2
8) T Henry--actual finish #38
9) Alexander--actual finish #34
10) Bush

Portis and Peterson were great picks by the pretend sheet.

Top 5 WR on the pretend sheet against Dodds are:

1) Johnson (pretend, finish #6) v. Steve Smith (Dodds, finish #16)
2) Moss (pretend, finish #1) v. Chad Johnson (Dodds, finish #6)
3) Fitzgerald (finish #5) v. Harrison (finish #102 injured)
4) Wayne (finish #4) v. Owens (finish #2)
5) Evans (finish #33) v. Wayne (finish #4)

If you ended up with Portis, Peterson and Moss through the first 3 rounds, you killed 2007. McNabb finished QB10 and wouldn't have hurt too much.
You have to wonder if someone would actually try and use this if it were sitting around.

you get X minutes for each pick.the guy who ALWAYS takes ALL X minutes for his pick, every pick, all draft long..whether it's #1 overall selection or the last pick of the draft. we have a new rule for that.when the bell rings, you're done , next guy up please! we know some people do ths stuff on purpose, heck you can go on fantasyfootballcalculator and watch it happen in mock drafts! there's always a guy who makes his select with 4 secs left, even if he's picking the first pick of the draft! 
OH MY GOD this grinds every gear I have.

I've been in a league for 5 years now with a guy who's full-on OCD and does this with every pick in every draft. Even when he's on the turn! You think it's bad in FF - try dealing with it in a fantasy baseball draft. All 27 rounds' worth.  :wall: (I'd gladly kick him out of the league but, welp, he's the commish.)

The first website / app that rolls out a "time bank" for each player to make all their picks in a draft will get all my business.

The first website / app that rolls out a "time bank" for each player to make all their picks in a draft will get all my business.
I like this.....clock is set at 60 seconds.  Once your pick is made, however many seconds remain turn into waiver wire cash for the season.  For example: if it takes 5 seconds to announce your selection, you get $55 to spend on the waiver wire.

Or you can keep track of the amount of time accumulated throughout the draft, and whoever has the smallest amount of time covers the beer tab.

I like this.....clock is set at 60 seconds.  Once your pick is made, however many seconds remain turn into waiver wire cash for the season.  For example: if it takes 5 seconds to announce your selection, you get $55 to spend on the waiver wire.

Or you can keep track of the amount of time accumulated throughout the draft, and whoever has the smallest amount of time covers the beer tab.
Great idea, but it needs some minimal “buffer” of free time (20 sec?j before bankable seconds start diminishing or it disadvantages the turns,

In this system, I’d try very hard to have presrafts queued up every pick so as to maximize my bank,  Too much positional strategy in the back to back picks to predraft both in advance though.

OH MY GOD this grinds every gear I have.

I've been in a league for 5 years now with a guy who's full-on OCD and does this with every pick in every draft. Even when he's on the turn! You think it's bad in FF - try dealing with it in a fantasy baseball draft. All 27 rounds' worth.  :wall: (I'd gladly kick him out of the league but, welp, he's the commish.)

Bit dramatic. 

Would be cool though if the "bankable time" could be used later in the draft if needed. e.g. you missed a pick (mistakes happen) and need a bit of extra time to find a suitable replacement - instead of a panic pick which usually works out horrifically, you could draw from your bank'd time to do research/make a good pick. 

Happens more in IDP leagues, but it does happen. This way teams that pick quickly throughout the draft would be rewarded for it by having extra time when needed & teams that are slow as hell throughout the draft are punished by being forced into bad choices if the pressure is on. 

Guy in my league who takes the top ranked defense in the 9th round, and the top ranked K in the 12th, then crows for the rest of the draft about how he just "stole" an extra 8-10 points a week from the rest of us.  

Guy in my league who takes the top ranked defense in the 9th round, and the top ranked K in the 12th, then crows for the rest of the draft about how he just "stole" an extra 8-10 points a week from the rest of us.  
lol - and I plucked the Jags D/ST off the FA list the day before the season last year.  :unsure:

lol - and I plucked the Jags D/ST off the FA list the day before the season last year.  :unsure:
I did one better - I picked up Jax DST on waivers after Week 1 or 2, started them for a while, then traded them to that same guy later in the season because his Denver pick in the 9th didn't pan out so well and he'd reverted to streaming unsuccessfully

:lmao:

My wife went into labor during last year's draft, and it kind of threw my concentration.  Luckily I convinced her to hold off going to the hospital until the draft's conclusion. 

So people going into labor during the draft is my pet peeve.
Reminds me of the joke, which I'm paraphrasing from memory:  I just realized my fantasy football draft is scheduled the same day as my wedding, so I need someone to fill in for me.  If you're interested, be at the church at 4pm on Sunday, she'll be at the altar in a white dress. 

My wife went into labor during last year's draft, and it kind of threw my concentration.  Luckily I convinced her to hold off going to the hospital until the draft's conclusion. 

So people going into labor during the draft is my pet peeve.
This bring up another great one.

The guys that try to convince you that they have been a surgeon performing a brain surgery for the past 8 hours and they were trying to save a mans life for god's sake! Then two rounds later the same guy explains that they couldn't draft in 8 hours because they don't have a "fancy" phone that has internet access. "Have you heard about those ninjas with electro-magnetic pulse weapons?"..... etc, etc.

It all sounds like my dog ate my homework to me. Hey, James Bond, if you really are trying to save the world in the middle of the draft I doubt you would be that shook up about being put on autodraft. Just a guess.

In Dynasty:

• Who is "x"? Well, I guess I'll take him because this ranking list I printed out says to. We have a couple people in our league with young babies and a lot less time to do offseason research, but they nabbed 2 guys I wanted right in front of me with 0 idea who they are.
  • That guy who goes to the bathroom mid-draft right before their pick. We don't have a clock because most picks happen in 3 seconds, only 1 guy takes advantage. 
  • That nobody will trade with me day-of. They'll trade with me before the draft, but on the day of the draft everyone is scared to trade with me/doesn't want to give up their pick. Kerryon fell to pick 14 but no one would trade with me from pick 10-14. I think it's because last year I traded picks that ended up being Zay Jones, Joe Williams, Curtis Samuel and Marlon Mack for Juju and Kamara. 

I fear I've been that guy on a number of these.

I often volunteer to help run the online part of our live draft -- hard to always get 12 guys across the country together every year -- so am running both the live site for those not at the draft, which includes helping the guys who a re no-shows but provided draft lists look up who is next on their list that is not taken -- and additionally having to enter all the picks into an open window of FBG draft dominator to help my own draft. God forbid I got something wrong across any of those surfaces, have to back up a few picks and recorrect, and all of the sudden I'm on the clock in the middle of it.

It can take time, moreso when I'm nice and toasty from various substances. So I've taken some time in making picks, with a quasi-good excuse in having to manage my own draft and everyone else's. But I have gotten ribbed to hurry the F up a few times.

I've also been the "good pick" guy -- not every pick, mind you, but I do encourage and lay praise where it's due, throwing out why I think it's a good pick. I get why doing it EVERY pick is bad, but what can I say, I'm a friendly supportive guy I guess?

My own pet peeves:

1) Guys not showing to the live draft. We only get to see each other 1/yr, it's always late Aug and easy to plan ahead for, but we get people bailing within three weeks. We only get so much time to hang out with buds in this lifetime -- forget about the draft, I place a lot of importance on hanging when we can. Stuff happens (kids, work, life), I get it -- but there are some guys who haven't shown ever. 

2) As a guy who has taken some time to make his own picks (I have an excuse, I swear!), I am OK with it in middle rounds, but kinda inexcuseable IMO to be taking the full allotted time in the first 2 and last 2 rounds of the draft

The guy who tells everyone who they should pick when he wants someone else to fall to them.

The guy who every year drafts someone who retired and then has to scramble to find someone else to pick.

The guy who takes the full amount of time on his backup kicker or defense in the last round.

The guys who never respond to emails asking which draft date works best.

The guy who drinks all my good beer.

- guy who is never ready when it's his turn to pick....then calls out 2 guys who have already been drafted
I'll one-up you here.  I play in an IDP league, and the year after Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was killed, a guy in my league called out his name to draft him.  For real.  He was looking at stats from the prior season and couldn't figure out why he hadn't been drafted yet.  We gave him a pass and let him pick someone else.

Then later - and I wish I was making this up - he called his name again.  To this day, we still mock him for drafting a dead guy ... twice.

Not really a pet peeve, per se, but I figure drafting a dead guy trumps trying to draft someone who was already picked.

One year dude who pulled the #1 pick crowed about having the #1 pick for an hour & then put up the wrong Adrian Peterson (CHI) sticker. 

He was so obnoxious we almost made him keep him. :lol:  

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
2) As a guy who has taken some time to make his own picks (I have an excuse, I swear!), I am OK with it in middle rounds, but kinda inexcuseable IMO to be taking the full allotted time in the first 2 and last 2 rounds of the draft
Actually, this one doesn't really bother me as much as it bothers most people. If people don't want to wait 8 hours per pick, join a league with a 6 hour clock. Or a 4 hour clock. Just choose the right league and you won't get that upset about the speed at which other people are drafting.

Now, if you are one of the people that times out..... and then argues that you should have the right to keep timing out and making the league wait over and over I have no use for you. Unfortunately this is the way traditional MFL10's are setup so the same people are allowed to time out multiple times. It's one of the big reasons I won't play them anymore. If it's an 8 hour clock and you are taking more than 8 hours to draft you are braking the rules and there should be a penalty. And no, being given the player left with the highest ADP is NOT a penalty.

Users who are viewing this thread