What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biggest Draft Day pet peeves? (3 Viewers)

I'll one-up you here.  I play in an IDP league, and the year after Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was killed, a guy in my league called out his name to draft him.  For real.  He was looking at stats from the prior season and couldn't figure out why he hadn't been drafted yet.  We gave him a pass and let him pick someone else.

Then later - and I wish I was making this up - he called his name again.  To this day, we still mock him for drafting a dead guy ... twice.

Not really a pet peeve, per se, but I figure drafting a dead guy trumps trying to draft someone who was already picked.
Dude in one of my work leagues drafted Aaron Hernandez that one year.  Online draft so no do-overs.  :lol:   

The people who talk constantly about value. Draft by VBD or don’t, I don’t care, but the people who say X pick sucks because it’s round 3 and they wouldn’t have taken him until round 4 kill me. The odds that a player ends up being a “good” round 4 pick but a bad round 3 pick are very low. 

These guys will deem anyone who went a few picks after ADP a steal and guys who went earlier as reaches.

If someone goes a round early for a guy, we don’t need a lecture about value. It might work. It might not, but going after your targets you want regardless of who is falling is a viable strategy imo. 

If someone goes a round early for a guy, we don’t need a lecture about value. It might work. It might not, but going after your targets you want regardless of who is falling is a viable strategy imo. 
Agreed - especially when taking draft position into consideration. 

IMO if you’re at a turn, ADP kinda goes out the window. If you want a guy & you’re sitting 3.01, you take him at 3.01 because he’s damn sure not gonna make it back to 4.12

Many years ago when I played in too many leagues I had someone tell me I “reached” for a guy at 3.03. I asked, “oh, did you think he’d make it back to me at 4.10?” 

He says, “no, I woulda taken him at 4.05 where’d he’d be a great pick”

I pointed out how the fact that he’d have taken him proved I was right to take him at 3.01 & he just didn’t get it. Kept saying I reached for him. 

But I got the player I wanted at a value I could live with. 

My pet peeve is having a guy that is butchering his draft because he don't know anything some how take the sleeper you been watching way before he was suppose to go , just because he had him last year. 

IMO if you’re at a turn, ADP kinda goes out the window. If you want a guy & you’re sitting 3.01, you take him at 3.01 because he’s damn sure not gonna make it back to 4.12

Many years ago when I played in too many leagues I had someone tell me I “reached” for a guy at 3.03. I asked, “oh, did you think he’d make it back to me at 4.10?” 

I pointed out how the fact that he’d have taken him proved I was right to take him at 3.01 & he just didn’t get it. Kept saying I reached for him. 

My pet peeve is having a guy that is butchering his draft because he don't know anything some how take the sleeper you been watching way before he was suppose to go , just because he had him last year. 
Somehow I think these 2 posts are linked...

I play in a work league where it's 11 guys and 1 girl.  The girl is awesome, loves football and talking fantasy with us, great leaguemate to have.  But she's a mother of three young kids and just doesn't have time to do a draft so she always auto-drafts.  She's ok with it, she's active on the wire, everything else is cool. 

But it never fails that she's always drafting right next to me, so any player that is slipping and is a good value pick gets auto-drafted to her, where if she were present she'd probably take part in the current QB run and leave that player on the board for me.  I get sniped by the autopicker every other round    :wall:

Dude in one of my work leagues drafted Aaron Hernandez that one year.  Online draft so no do-overs.  :lol:   
Cesar--"I'll take Fred Lane."

Everyone--"LOL, he's dead"

Cesar--"No, he's not that bad, I'll take Fred Lane."

Everyone--"He's literally deceased"

The guy who makes jokes every year that aren't funny.  "You should draft (insert local player) now (rounds before his adp)

Or "You should draft (player that is out the year)"

Or naming retired players.

After the draft when the IT guy from your work tells you how according to his spreadsheet, His team is far and away better than yours and shows you a bunch of color coordinated non-sense.
Isn't this how FBGs "Rate my team" app works?

Hot Sauce Guy said:

Obviously you reached by taking the 4th round talent ahead of the “objectively better” player the guy took at 3.8.   :P

Which is perfectly reasonable if the draft is viewed solely from that guy’s point of view (the real issue with most amateur draft analysts).

Actually, this one doesn't really bother me as much as it bothers most people. If people don't want to wait 8 hours per pick, join a league with a 6 hour clock. Or a 4 hour clock. Just choose the right league and you won't get that upset about the speed at which other people are drafting.

Now, if you are one of the people that times out..... and then argues that you should have the right to keep timing out and making the league wait over and over I have no use for you. Unfortunately this is the way traditional MFL10's are setup so the same people are allowed to time out multiple times. It's one of the big reasons I won't play them anymore. If it's an 8 hour clock and you are taking more than 8 hours to draft you are braking the rules and there should be a penalty. And no, being given the player left with the highest ADP is NOT a penalty.
Fair points. Although if you are timing out on who you are picking at slot 1.2? Or you just need a kicker in round 14? Welcome to my #@%$ list -- no way you can convince me that it takes you that long to make that decision.

Obviously you reached by taking the 4th round talent ahead of the “objectively better” player the guy took at 3.8.   :P

Which is perfectly reasonable if the draft is viewed solely from that guy’s point of view (the real issue with most amateur draft analysts).
Exactly. lol

I hate that:

#1 - ESPN shows "recommended" values on the draft app for my auction draft and

#2 - How the guys in that league just go straight down the list when throwing out players for bid

and oh yeah, #3 - that one guy who enforces said recommended value

People who always show up late for the draft and the commissioner that allows it, and every year it is the same two and every year we start anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes late because of these idiots.

That guy who always is unprepared for his next pick - and the commissioner that refuses to set a clock for this behavior.  Dude could have the #1 pick in round 1 and still would take 5 minutes to make the pick.  In that league we have a 12 team, 24 round redraft that takes about 4 hours to complete - and if that one person were removed we could be done in about 2.5 - 3 hours.

The guy that has a funny line for EVERY freaking pick for every other owner - whether it be a nickname or some obscure reference - it is like clockwork.

The guy that goes up to about 3-4 owners before each pick and asks what they think of so and so compared to so and so.

The guy that picks as many old stars past their prime in every round - I mean it leaves talent on the table, but this dude has been 3-11ish every year for the last 26 years for a reason.

The four dudes that sit together BSing the whole draft so when it is any of their turns they are not ready adding more time to the draft process.

Users who are viewing this thread