What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Belichick statement (1 Viewer)

FDNY

Footballguy
http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?a...id=41&rss=1

STATEMENT FROM PATRIOTS HEAD COACH BILL BELICHICK

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules. At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling. Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league’s decision, I will have further comment.”

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules. At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling. Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league’s decision, I will have further comment.”
hmm......no apologies to the Jets? odd..... :coffee:

AP/NFL.com story on the statement:

Belichick speaks with Goodell, apologizes for videotape flap

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick apologized to his team on Wednesday and confirmed that he has spoken to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about his "interpretation" of league rules that ban videotaping of the opposing sideline.

It was not clear what Belichick was apologizing for, and the coach repeatedly refused to elaborate on a one-paragraph statement issued 10 minutes before a regularly scheduled news conference to discuss Sunday night's game against the San Diego Chargers.

"At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling," Belichick said in a statement. "Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

The statement said Belichick spoke with Goodell this week about a "videotaping procedure" during last Sunday's game and "my interpretation of the rules."

After about 15 minutes discussing Sunday's game, Belichick was pressed harder on his "interpretation of the rules," and the coach walked out of the room.

NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England's 38-14 victory over the New York Jets on Sunday. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches as they signaled to players on the field.

ESPN.com, citing league sources, reported Tuesday that Goodell has determined the Patriots violated league rules that ban videotaping of defensive signals. The report also said the Patriots have not yet presented their case to the league.

The Web site's report said Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks." A league spokesman said only that an investigation is under way, and both teams said no decision has been made.

Asked repeatedly to elaborate on the statement and the effect it might have on his team, Belichick was left begging for football questions. But few in the media workroom had come to hear about San Diego.

"Any questions about the Chargers?" he pleaded in his standard other-things-to-do monotone. "Want to talk about the football game? If not, I think that statement pretty much covers it."

It appeared that he might find no takers, before one reporter asked about defending against Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

The coach smiled.

"Whatever happens out there Sunday night, out there on the field, that's where everybody will make their statement," he said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

The camera was taken away in the 4th quarter. The Pats did BETTER without it.

Why attempt to cheat? We're just that much more talented. This will be a blessing in disguise for the Pats, who will realize the wrongs of cheating like every other team and take the high road. They will still win. The one honorable team in the NFL will be the 4th time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

Fitting :coffee:

:shrug: Yeah, "interpretation." That's it. Wonder if Goodell will crack down on Billy for lying as hard as he's cracked down on players for lying?

Why attempt to cheat? We're just that much more talented. This will be a blessing in disguise for the Pats, who will realize the wrongs of cheating like every other team and take the high road. They will still win. The one honorable team in the NFL will be the 4th time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.

Fitting :shrug:
I think they are a bit beyond that now :lmao: It's not a good sign that BB walked out of the room 15 minutes into the meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anything, this will fire up all of the Patriots players to prove that they aren't a bunch of cheaters.

Pats win over Chargers, 38-7

Fitting :shrug:
Whatever makes you feel better, lol.

If anything, this will fire up all of the Patriots players to prove that they aren't a bunch of cheaters.

But they are. Winning or losing on Sunday doesn't change the fact that they cheated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its obvious to me that Belichick was just trying to catch Mangina picking his nose so he could play it during film day and laugh hysterically.

Fitting :thumbup:
I think they are a bit beyond that now :doh: It's not a good sign that BB walked out of the room 15 minutes into the meeting.
I think that was 15 minutes into the press conference.

The camera was taken away in the 4th quarter. The Pats did BETTER without it.Why attempt to cheat? We're just that much more talented. This will be a blessing in disguise for the Pats, who will realize the wrongs of cheating like every other team and take the high road. They will still win. The one honorable team in the NFL will be the 4th time Super Bowl champion New England Patriots.Fitting :thumbup:
:thumbup: :doh: and a poor effort at that.

Huh? I thought no spying meant we could not send black ops agents into the huddles- no one ever said anything about use of technological superiority!

Fitting :thumbup:
I think they are a bit beyond that now :doh: It's not a good sign that BB walked out of the room 15 minutes into the meeting.
I think that was 15 minutes into the press conference.
You're right. Thanks for the correction.

Huh? I thought no spying meant we could not send black ops agents into the huddles- no one ever said anything about use of technological superiority!
:thumbup: :doh: :thumbup: :clap: :pickle: :bowtie: :drive:

So in conclusion, the people who are most up in the arms about this are Chargers fans, Steelers fans, Colts fans, Jets fans, and Patriots fans, along with a couple Dolphins fans? That seems about right.

People really gotta get their Belichick/Patriots hate in check around here. This isn't exactly the Black Sox scandal were talking about here. It's Belichick who got caught exposing a loophole/pushing the envelope/cutting corners (not saying it was right or wrong).

But the hate's just gottta stop. People sound childish and bitter.

Golfers cheat, bikers cheat, swimmers cheat, basketball players cheat, baseball players cheat, hockey players cheat... the list goes on and on. Spare me "the integrity of the sport" BS. Chargers fans still love Merriman right? Giants fans still love Bonds right? Broncos fans still love their team, right?

So let's stop making this out to be more than it is. I am not being a blind homer here either. I just think demonizing Belichick is a little "sour-grapesy". He did it, we get. Focus your anger on something that concerns you.

Goodell doesn't hate Belichick like you do. Goodell doesn't hate the Patriots like you do. Goodell will be objective. So should you.

So in conclusion, the people who are most up in the arms about this are Chargers fans, Steelers fans, Colts fans, Jets fans, and Patriots fans, along with a couple Dolphins fans? everyone but the Pats fans. That seems about right.
Trying to justify cheating :thumbdown:

They should have just loaded up on steroids like the championship Steelers teams of the 70s. No one ever seems to be bothered by that.

But they are. Winning or losing on Sunday doesn't change the fact that they cheated.
So Jonessed, please tell us how you feel about Shawne Merriman using steroids? Careful of that glass house of yours. Your team ain't exactly choirboys either, bro.

Has Belichick told the cameraman to fall on his sword yet?

Here's the next comment Bill Belichick will make:

"As the Commissioner has expressed, videotaping of the opponents coaches is forbidden by the rules. However, we did not video tape the opponents coaches. Or if we did, it was done without my permission. Or if they had my permission, it was done by a former employee. Or if he was our employee at the time, he was not authorized to do so. Or if he was authorized to do so, he was authorized by someone who was not authorized to give him that authorization."

So Jonessed, please tell us how you feel about Shawne Merriman using steroids? Careful of that glass house of yours. Your team ain't exactly choirboys either, bro.
I think it's wrong and I was glad he was suspended. I'm not sticking up for him and I'm not your "bro".

I think it's wrong and I was glad he was suspended. I'm not sticking up for him and I'm not your "bro".
I'm not sticking up for him and I'm not your bro!!??!?!Someone sounds like the little brother here.

And if Goodell finds the Patriots to be stealing signals and fines/suspends Belichick, so be it. I think most Patriots fans in here are willing to accept the consequences.Have a good day bro! :thumbup:

People really gotta get their Belichick/Patriots hate in check around here. This isn't exactly the Black Sox scandal were talking about here. It's Belichick who got caught exposing a loophole/pushing the envelope/cutting corners (not saying it was right or wrong).But the hate's just gottta stop. People sound childish and bitter.Golfers cheat, bikers cheat, swimmers cheat, basketball players cheat, baseball players cheat, hockey players cheat... the list goes on and on. Spare me "the integrity of the sport" BS. Chargers fans still love Merriman right? Giants fans still love Bonds right? Broncos fans still love their team, right?So let's stop making this out to be more than it is. I am not being a blind homer here either. I just think demonizing Belichick is a little "sour-grapesy". He did it, we get. Focus your anger on something that concerns you.Goodell doesn't hate Belichick like you do. Goodell doesn't hate the Patriots like you do. Goodell will be objective. So should you.
Wade Wilson got suspended 5 games for taking a performance enhancing drug to help his *ahem* off-the-field performance. It's not like he's going to make Tony Romo a better QB by getting himself pumped up. Using that as a guidepost, maybe you should try to be objective as well.

So in conclusion, the people who are most up in the arms about this are Chargers fans, Steelers fans, Colts fans, Jets fans, and Patriots fans, along with a couple Dolphins fans? everyone but the Pats fans. That seems about right.
Trying to justify cheating :thumbup:
The River Cats cheat?
It's well known among insiders that they do. ESPN is just saving that story for a really, really slow news week.

People really gotta get their Belichick/Patriots hate in check around here. This isn't exactly the Black Sox scandal were talking about here. It's Belichick who got caught exposing a loophole/pushing the envelope/cutting corners (not saying it was right or wrong).But the hate's just gottta stop. People sound childish and bitter.Golfers cheat, bikers cheat, swimmers cheat, basketball players cheat, baseball players cheat, hockey players cheat... the list goes on and on. Spare me "the integrity of the sport" BS. Chargers fans still love Merriman right? Giants fans still love Bonds right? Broncos fans still love their team, right?So let's stop making this out to be more than it is. I am not being a blind homer here either. I just think demonizing Belichick is a little "sour-grapesy". He did it, we get. Focus your anger on something that concerns you.Goodell doesn't hate Belichick like you do. Goodell doesn't hate the Patriots like you do. Goodell will be objective. So should you.
Wade Wilson got suspended 5 games for taking a performance enhancing drug to help his *ahem* off-the-field performance. It's not like he's going to make Tony Romo a better QB by getting himself pumped up. Using that as a guidepost, maybe you should try to be objective as well.
I am. I'm anxiously awaiting Goodell's decision.

Has Belichick told the cameraman to fall on his sword yet?Here's the next comment Bill Belichick will make:"As the Commissioner has expressed, videotaping of the opponents coaches is forbidden by the rules. However, we did not video tape the opponents coaches. Or if we did, it was done without my permission. Or if they had my permission, it was done by a former employee. Or if he was our employee at the time, he was not authorized to do so. Or if he was authorized to do so, he was authorized by someone who was not authorized to give him that authorization."
It's entirely possible that Belichick was trying to work within the rules as they were written, and that the contents of the videotape will show that he was doing something close to, but not exactly the same as, what has been alleged. In the meantime, we have twenty-odd pages of speculation, mostly about third hand reports. All we know for sure right now is that a tape was confiscated, Goodell has seen it and talked to Belichick, and Belichick has apologized for the commotion and saiid it was a matter of interpretation. I wonder what happens in that scenario, by the way. What if they weren't breaking the rules, according to the letter of the law? It's the rule against videotaping, and not the actual stealing of signs, that seems to have people up in arms here. That's also the justification people use to excuse bringing in Artrell Hawkins and Reche Caldwell and interviewing them before the Pats-Jets game, since that is not against the rules. If the actual things on that tape are not against the rules as they were written, but still violate the spirit of the rule, what does that mean?

So in conclusion, the people who are most up in the arms about this are Chargers fans, Steelers fans, Colts fans, Jets fans, and Patriots fans, along with a couple Dolphins fans? That seems about right.
The people most up in arms about this are Patriot fans, and that's it.

BF, just to clarify. What is your position on this situation?TIA
I've written my serious thoughts on the matter in several of the ten threads on this topic and nobody's responded. I'm not writing it again, but if you're interested, you're welcome to look it up.

It's entirely possible that Belichick was trying to work within the rules as they were written, and that the contents of the videotape will show that he was doing something close to, but not exactly the same as, what has been alleged. In the meantime, we have twenty-odd pages of speculation, mostly about third hand reports. All we know for sure right now is that a tape was confiscated, Goodell has seen it and talked to Belichick, and Belichick has apologized for the commotion and saiid it was a matter of interpretation.
This is what happened. Give it a rest haters. Pats thought they were driving a truck through a small loophole, and it didn't work. Expect a 5th rounder, a careful explanation, and a small fine.

:goodposting: And this matters........ how????I'd think any topic involving an AFC east team would have fans of that division more interested, followed closely by rival teams. They were probably the most scammed by the shenanigans.....And I personally think a lot of this is more a FBG Fan Fishing trip than people really "Up in Arms"...The whole Irony how Pats fans have a reputation around here of being **** Stirers getting all "Up in Arms" over this, continuing to try to divert and pass off the attention as well as come up with every excuse in the book.....It's all pretty funny and I don' think ANY group of fans on these boards would bring the irony and comic relief we have seen the past 12 hours or so.If this were the Jets I'd pretty much avoid trying to excuse any actions or look like I was diverting attention at all - Just wait for the ruling and eat it. That's all you really can do.

It's entirely possible that Belichick was trying to work within the rules as they were written, and that the contents of the videotape will show that he was doing something close to, but not exactly the same as, what has been alleged. In the meantime, we have twenty-odd pages of speculation, mostly about third hand reports. All we know for sure right now is that a tape was confiscated, Goodell has seen it and talked to Belichick, and Belichick has apologized for the commotion and saiid it was a matter of interpretation.
This is what happened. Give it a rest haters. Pats thought they were driving a truck through a small loophole, and it didn't work. Expect a 5th rounder, a careful explanation, and a small fine.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread