What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Cowher and Don Shula (1 Viewer)

Steelers4Life

Footballguy
Don Shula

Years coaching - 33

Began coaching at age 33

Career Record - 347-173-6 (66.5%)

Career Playoff Record - 19-17 (53.0%)

Regular season wins per year - 9.9

Postseason wins per year - 0.58

Total wins per year - 10.5

Times in the postseason - 20 (61%)

Losing seasons - 2

2 NFL Championship appearances, both losses

5 Super Bowl appearances in 33 years (1 every 6.6 years)

Super Bowl Record - 2-3

Bill Cowher

Years coaching - 14

Began coaching at age 38

Career Record - 152-91-1 (62.0%)

Career Playoff Record - 11-9 (55.0%)

Regular season wins per year - 10.1

Postseason wins per year - 0.79

Total wins per year - 10.9

Times in the postseason - 10 (71%)

Losing seasons - 3

2 Super Bowl appearances in 14 years (1 every 7.0 years)

Super Bowl Record - 0-1 (for now)

An interesting comparison, at least to me, at this point. 15 of Shula's years coaching came with 14 game seasons, but he also never had to deal with free agency.

I'm excited in that Bill Cowher has accumulated these wins building teams with strong running games and defenses. His QB play has been suspect most years, which has led him to build teams that way, but he'll enter the next decade with a true franchise QB for the first time. I've gotta believe he's got a chance to sustain success for a while.

If Bill Cowher continues to average 10 wins per year, he'll pass up Don Shula's regular season win total in just under 19 years at age 67. He'll be right around Shula's combined win total at that point, too. Think he can do it?

10 wins per year for the next 19 years is going to be very tough. I seriously doubt he breaks that record.

One of themost amazing stats about Shula is that in 33 years of coaching he only had 2 losing seasons. That's downright amazing.

10 wins per year for the next 19 years is going to be very tough. I seriously doubt he breaks that record.

One of themost amazing stats about Shula is that in 33 years of coaching he only had 2 losing seasons. That's downright amazing.
I agree, that's amazing. It's going to take consistent success like that for Cowher to come close.And 10 wins per year for the next 19 is a tall order... he's done it so far for 14 years, and he's just now getting his first franchise QB.

And if he lasts 19 more years in Pittsburgh, it will be 2025, which means the Steelers will have had TWO coaches in FIFTY-SIX years.That is almost Connie Mack-like!

Nope. 32 years as a head coach in the NFL? Never happen. Coaches make to much money to put themselves through the stress and pressure for 32 years. If Cowher does this for 10 more years and has millions and millions stashed away, I would suppose he would hit the booth or the GM's desk.

He's got a shot, which is more than any other coach today can realistically say. He's got a great shot to get to #3 all-time - I think roughly 250 wins does that. It really comes down to 2 questions, one of which is does he want to do it - when he gets close and is agiang, he may not want to go through the grind. If you think hte answer to that is yes, then you start to look at other things. I can see him averaging 10-11 wins for a good while if Roethlisberger, POlamalu, et. al. hang around and they keep the ability to draft well and play good D while running. If he can get 7-8 more years at that rate his odds will jump significantly, because the speculation will begin, and he'll be getting close to #3 all-time or will be there. Got to make headway now while he can, though.

It's possible but doesn't seem likely. He's going to have to coach until a ripe old age to beat that IMO. It's really surprising how long he's lasted with the Steelers when no one else has lasted that long with their teams. When I think of that I think kudos to the Rooney's for making a good decision on the coach and sticking with him. To ask them to stick with him for another 20 years or so is almost unheard of in today's game.

I agree, that's amazing. It's going to take consistent success like that for Cowher to come close.And 10 wins per year for the next 19 is a tall order... he's done it so far for 14 years, and he's just now getting his first franchise QB.
Don't count the chickens before they're hatched. Ben looks awesome, yes, but I have two words for you:Bernie Kosar.

He should have played a lot longer than he did. Injuries hindered his career, which can surely happen to anyone.

I actually do like Cowher, but he won't get to Shula.

Don't count the chickens before they're hatched. Ben looks awesome, yes, but I have two words for you:Bernie Kosar.

He should have played a lot longer than he did. Injuries hindered his career, which can surely happen to anyone.

I actually do like Cowher, but he won't get to Shula.
I could see Sylvester coaching for 32 years.It's not like they'll let him get near the broadcast booth. They'd have to put a showe cap on the microphone and that just wouldn't be cool.

An interesting comparison, at least to me, at this point. 15 of Shula's years coaching came with 14 game seasons, but he also never had to deal with free agency.
Or, Shula never got to deal with free agency.Every time someone compares a FA-era coach to previous eras, they always say the previous era coach "didn't have to deal with free agency." I realize there are things FA complicates and makes difficult, but it is also a great tool to be used in your favor. The way things are today aren't always necessarily tougher than they used to be. I think some old-time coaches would have jumped at the opportunity to have FA.

And if he lasts 19 more years in Pittsburgh, it will be 2025, which means the Steelers will have had TWO coaches in FIFTY-SIX years.

That is almost Connie Mack-like!
I love that the Steelers are so loyal to their coaches. One of the great traditions imn pro football (is that a tradition?).

I believe Cowher became the Steelers head coach at 34. I think the real question is whether he'll want to stick around long enough to have a shot at the record. With the time/preparation NFL head coaches put into it these days it would be a suprise to me if he was still coaching in 20 years. I'd guess that Cowher retires when Roethlisberger does in 2018 at the ripe old age of 60.

Shula did have to deal with free agency. And he did rather well. From 1986-1991, Miami had only two winning seasons and made the playoffs just once, as a wild card in 1990. Free Agency started in 1992. From 1992 to 1995 (Shula's last season), Miami had four winning seasons, three playoff appearances, and won two division titles. The only year they missed the playoffs was 1993 when Marino got hurt.

An interesting comparison, at least to me, at this point.  15 of Shula's years coaching came with 14 game seasons, but he also never had to deal with free agency.
Or, Shula never got to deal with free agency.Every time someone compares a FA-era coach to previous eras, they always say the previous era coach "didn't have to deal with free agency." I realize there are things FA complicates and makes difficult, but it is also a great tool to be used in your favor. The way things are today aren't always necessarily tougher than they used to be. I think some old-time coaches would have jumped at the opportunity to have FA.
Thank you. I'm sick that everyone sees free agency as some sort of magic pill that makes everything harder in this era. It is also an incredibly powerful tool for those who are good at their jobs. I shudder to think what Shula could have done with it.

It's possible but doesn't seem likely. He's going to have to coach until a ripe old age to beat that IMO. It's really surprising how long he's lasted with the Steelers when no one else has lasted that long with their teams. When I think of that I think kudos to the Rooney's for making a good decision on the coach and sticking with him. To ask them to stick with him for another 20 years or so is almost unheard of in today's game.
I dunno how likely it is, but it's not unheard of for coaches to coach until their mid to late 60's. Parcells, Vermeil, Gibbs.. all three of them are right around the age Cowher would have to be at his current pace. Shula coached until he was 66, and Cowher would have to coach until age 67 to catch him - at his current pace. If he can manage 100 total wins in the next 10 years (he has 30 and counting in the past 2), he'll have over 250 wins at age 58.

The Rooneys have to be credited with finding a great coach and sticking with him through the good times and the bad. They know how lucky they are to have Bill Cowher, and he'll probably be coaching the Steelers until he decides he doesn't want to anymore.

One of the most impressive thing about Shula was that he coached and was highly successful in basically two different eras. The game was incredibly different from the beginning of his career to the end. How he adjusted was a testament to his ability.

NINETY-SIX Head Coaching changes have taken place in the NFL since Bill Cowher was named the Steelers head coach.

Think about that....
The Steelers have been and will continue to be rewarded for sticking with him even when times got tough.Who knows if he'll coach long enough to approach Shula, but if he coaches as long as Shula did, I think he's got as a good a chance as possible.

I believe Cowher became the Steelers head coach at 34. I think the real question is whether he'll want to stick around long enough to have a shot at the record. With the time/preparation NFL head coaches put into it these days it would be a suprise to me if he was still coaching in 20 years. I'd guess that Cowher retires when Roethlisberger does in 2018 at the ripe old age of 60.
Very very unsubstantiated rumor, but I heard just this morning that he will retire much sooner than that. Friend of a friend type of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread