What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bledsoe a sleeper? (1 Viewer)

Silver & Black

Footballguy
He sounds pretty motivated. Could playing with Parcells one last time ignite some of that old magic? Here's the blurb:Cowboys | Bledsoe Motivated and ReadySun, 17 Jul 2005 08:12:52 -0700Bob Buttitta, of the Ventura County Star, reports Dallas Cowboys QB Drew Bledsoe is anxious to show his new teammates, coaches and millions of Cowboys fans around the world he's the man to lead Dallas back to the NFL's promised land. To make it happen, Bledsoe will need to regain the form that made him one of the NFL's most prominent quarterbacks in the mid to late 1990s. The burning desire to be on the field when his team wins pro football's biggest prize is what brought Bledsoe to Dallas. "A big factor for me in making the decision was getting the chance to play for Bill Parcells again," Bledsoe said. Bledsoe also likes the offensive weapons he has in Dallas. The biggest weapon Bledsoe may have at his disposal is Pro Bowl TE Jason Witten. Bledsoe also said he is comfortable mentoring young QBs Drew Henson and Tony Romo in Dallas. Over the spring, Bledsoe held class for his two newest students. He said both responded to the challenge. Still, the motivation to be a champion drives him the most. "I have an overwhelming desire to win a title with the Cowboys," Bledsoe said. "I want to be the quarterback of a Super Bowl champion team.

He may be motivated but his skills have eroded, and he just can't make up for being the least mobile starting QB in the league. He has a good young RB and TE, but his WRs are old and average at best.I just hope the some of the owners who I draft with think Bledsoe is a sleeper and leave more viable #2 & #3 QBs for me to draft. I realize they want to win now knowing Parcells won't be around long, but Dallas would have been better off drafting a QB and rebuilding.

Bledsoe is most certainly a sleeper, though he's not going to be top-5 or anything. Last year, he threw 20 TDs to 16 INTs. 7 of those INTs came in two games against Baltimore and New England. That means that over 14 games, he had 20 TDs to only 9 INTs. As Yudkin has pointed out numerous times, Parcells' teams tend to throw the ball more often than average, and though the receiving talent in Dallas is uninspiring, they're not bad, just not sexy. If Terry Glenn stays healthy, or if Quincy Morgan can take his job, there's enough there for Bledsoe to work with.Testaverde managed 3500 yards and 17 TDs along with 20 INTs last year. I think Bledsoe will be better than that, and should get about 3700-3800 yards and 20-22 TDs. He'll certainly outproduce his current average draft position as the 141st player taken (later 12th round in a 12-team) according to Xpertsports.

The thing people forget about Bledsoe is that he's never ranked lower than 21st in his career except for the year he was injured in 2001. He does make some stupid mistakes and isn't mobile, which turns a lot of people off to him, but he ends up with decent numbers. FBG's have Bledsoe ranked behind Alex Smith, Ramsey, Eli Manning and Boller - none of which have ever even finished as high as Bledsoe in his worst year.Bledsoe is the best #2 QB value since he's being drafted in the 12th round of 14 team leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
:X Is Bledsoe Sleeping is what I thought I read.Maybe he will do ok... MAYBE. But if even a little better then last year, would make him bottom 16 QB in the league. THe Defense set him up multiple times, and the special teams gave them great feild position all teh live long day.Take away Bledsoes many mistakes, if it wasn't an INT it was a fumble or held the ball to long, or just had a brain fart, or decided to go freelance...I wouldnt want him on my team unless he was the 2nd QB. He really isnt a Starter anymore, but then again, Dallas probably doesnt have much of a choice.

The thing people forget about Bledsoe is that he's never ranked lower than 21st in his career except for the year he was injured in 2001. He does make some stupid mistakes and isn't mobile, which turns a lot of people off to him, but he ends up with decent numbers.

FBG's have Bledsoe ranked behind Alex Smith, Ramsey, Eli Manning and Boller - none of which have ever even finished as high as Bledsoe in his worst year.

Bledsoe is the best #2 QB value since he's being drafted in the 12th round of 14 team leagues.
:goodposting:

But if even a little better then last year, would make him bottom 16 QB in the league.
Bottom 16 = 17-32? I agree with that, although I find your wording odd.Bledsoe will be counted on to be a game manager this year, not to perform at a 4,000 yard / 40 TD level. I'll consider him a solid #2 QB in most leagues.

I hope that if Dallas is knocked out of the playoffs this year, that Parcells looks to the future and starts Henson at the end, which makes drafting Bledsoe for anything more than to cover a bye week, a bad idea.

The thing people forget about Bledsoe is that he's never ranked lower than 21st in his career except for the year he was injured in 2001. He does make some stupid mistakes and isn't mobile, which turns a lot of people off to him, but he ends up with decent numbers.

FBG's have Bledsoe ranked behind Alex Smith, Ramsey, Eli Manning and Boller - none of which have ever even finished as high as Bledsoe in his worst year.

Bledsoe is the best #2 QB value since he's being drafted in the 12th round of 14 team leagues.
:goodposting:
The middle paragraph is :goodposting: Where Drew Bledsoe finished fantasywise in 1997 is irrelevant.

interesting stat and very :goodposting: imo.

Not in a million years. Bledsoe is just plain bad.
Huh ... just plain bad? Drew Bledsoe is just two seasons removed from being a starting QB in most any fantasy league. In 2002, Bledsoe was 10th in TD only leagues (with 24 TDs), and 5th in yardage leagues (with 4359 yards)!He now enters his third attempt to recapture the magic of 2002, has new surroundings, a respectable WR core, a TE who catches seemingly everything, a RB which keeps defenses honest, and a defense one season removed from being inside the top-5.

He may not be worthy of starting status in 2005 but he definately merits consideration as a fantasy backup who can be had at an extremely good value. Bledsoe, with his new surroundings, represents upside and you cannot ask for better from a late round flier.

lets not confuse bledsoe's value as an NFL QB and his value as a fantasy QB. he's going to start as long as he's healthy, dallas is very weak at the backup QB position. He's good for 3000 yards and 20 TDs in that role. As a backup fantasy QB, he's very cheap for his pick. The chances of your backup seeing more than one game of action are slim, and bledsoe should provide at least 75% of fantasy backups production that are going rounds before him.the one big hit on drew is that he offers no upside, his record has pretty well established his range of stats, so if you are at all worried about your QB1, you probably need to invest more in a backup, because bledsoe would be a weak #1 over an extended period.

Not in a million years.  Bledsoe is just plain bad.
Huh ... just plain bad? Drew Bledsoe is just two seasons removed from being a starting QB in most any fantasy league. In 2002, Bledsoe was 10th in TD only leagues (with 24 TDs), and 5th in yardage leagues (with 4359 yards)!He now enters his third attempt to recapture the magic of 2002, has new surroundings, a respectable WR core, a TE who catches seemingly everything, a RB which keeps defenses honest, and a defense one season removed from being inside the top-5.

He may not be worthy of starting status in 2005 but he definately merits consideration as a fantasy backup who can be had at an extremely good value. Bledsoe, with his new surroundings, represents upside and you cannot ask for better from a late round flier.
Yes. I am sorry, but he is just plain bad (and I'll admit I don't like him, so am a bit jaded).The title of the thread asked if he was a sleeper. I don't think he is. Sure, he might be a serviceable backup if you can get him in the last round or two of your draft. In a 12 team league, that means he must crack the top 24. He could do that, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it.

To your points:

1. 2002 was, if anything, a career year. The further he is away from that year, the less likely he will be able to repeat it. Prior to 2002, he was not a good fantasy QB IIRC.

2. Last year he had at least as good a WR corps, a better RB situation and a better DT. So why did he suck so and why should Dallas' WRs and DT make him better this year?

3. Anyone who drafts Bledsoe as a starter is welcome in any of my leagues. I don't want him as a backup either. I can find value with a lot of QB's whose name isn't Blew Dredsoe. Pick a young guy like Boller. His upside has to be greater than Bledsoe's, and Boller isn't a very sexy choice either. Boller, now there's a QB with a decent WR corps, TE, RB, and DT.

Yes. I am sorry, but he is just plain bad (and I'll admit I don't like him, so am a bit jaded).The title of the thread asked if he was a sleeper. I don't think he is. Sure, he might be a serviceable backup if you can get him in the last round or two of your draft. In a 12 team league, that means he must crack the top 24. He could do that, I suppose, but I wouldn't count on it.

To your points:

1. 2002 was, if anything, a career year. The further he is away from that year, the less likely he will be able to repeat it. Prior to 2002, he was not a good fantasy QB IIRC.

2. Last year he had at least as good a WR corps, a better RB situation and a better DT. So why did he suck so and why should Dallas' WRs and DT make him better this year?

3. Anyone who drafts Bledsoe as a starter is welcome in any of my leagues. I don't want him as a backup either. I can find value with a lot of QB's whose name isn't Blew Dredsoe. Pick a young guy like Boller. His upside has to be greater than Bledsoe's, and Boller isn't a very sexy choice either. Boller, now there's a QB with a decent WR corps, TE, RB, and DT.
Boller... :lmao:

Also if you think Bledsoe is too old to come back and have another great year, take a look at what Testeverde did at the same age (33) after switching team to Baltimore:4177 yards, 33 TD/19 INT

Also if you think Bledsoe is too old to come back and have another great year, take a look at what Testeverde did at the same age (33) after switching team to Baltimore:

4177 yards, 33 TD/19 INT
As a Bills fan, all I have to say is...ROFL!!!

I know this has become cliche, but IF the line can keep Bledsoe upright a fair amount of the time, he can definitely be a great value play this year. Solid #2, that went real late in my last draft. I wasn't seeing it earlier this offseason, but I'm starting to drink the Kool-Aid.Also, I wouldn't write off Boller so quickly. One of my favorite strategies in FF is to wait as long as possible, then pick up 3 upside QBs. It's worked nearly every year. Even if one doesn't necessarily "blow up," you've still got a real solid RB and WR stable to rely on.(Oh, and in case you're wondering who the third one is, it's Harrington. ;) )

To your points:

Heh, no surprise you are jaded. Pretty obvious.: I use 2002 stats as potential but it was far from his career year. Mebbe we should use 1994 (25 TDs, 4555 yds) ... nah. How about 1996 (27 TDs, 4086 yds) ... too far back. Wait, 1997 sounds tasty (28 TDs, 3706 yds) ... well, mebbe not. Hang on, there's that 2002 again (24 TDs, 4359 yds), mebbe you ARE right. :yes:

In an interesting note (and something addressing point 2), Bledsoe's two final active years in New England were putrid. In 1999 he did little (19 TDs, 3985 yds) and had an even worse year in 2000 (17 TDs, 3291 yds), then 2001 off from the injury. But suddenly, voila, after everyone wrote him off, he pops back to the surface of the fantasy footall pond with the change of scenary and a plethora of aformention stats ... we'll do it again for fun (24 TDs, 4359 yds). You know, that might be his career year. :lmao:

And to your final point, NO ONE here was advocating Bledsoe as a starter and my original post said just that. Once more with feeling: He represents excellent value as a potential spot starter but is obviously a backup, plain and simple. I mean, are you kidding, his ADP via Antsports right now is 14.09! There is undeniable upside. Here's hoping one of my fellow sharks "jaded" view doesn't steer you off other potential value players because of emotional reactions.

Though, truth be told, I had the same issue with Randall Cunningham -- just a weak minded player. I hated the guy! :thumbdown:

Dallas has been and will continue to be a black hole for QB's. They are just patching holes with has been and never was players. Given, sometimes these guys have big games, but they don't seem to be developing their players, just signing someone else's retreads.Bledsoe will have a decent year and will be a middle of the road player, but I see him getting injured or benched by Parcells somewhere down the line.

To your points:

1. Distance from career year hardly seems like a good criterion for evaluating chances of another great year.2. Last year, he had no running game for about the first five games, he ha a rookie WR (who played well by season's end, but not from the get-go), no tight end, no pass-catching RB, and no o-line. This year, he will have a reliable Keyshawn Johnson, an emerging Jason Whitten, one of the best pass-catching RBs in the game (Richie Anderson), and he will play for a coach with whom he's had the greatest success in his career. That does look better to me. Also, with regards to defense, I actually think that Buffalo's defense robbed Bledsoe of yards last year. Think about it - Bledsoe had a respectable 20 TDs. If he had the 3500-3700 yards that usually go with 20 TDs, he would have been a perfectly respectable FF starter, if not a top starter. But he was hel to only 2900 yards primarily b/c of the Buffalo defense. They gave him lots of short fields, which was good for Buffalo, but bad for yardage stats. They also turned games into blowouts, which held down the passing yards. In big wins against Arizona and Cleveland, Bledsoe passed for 100 yards or less (see Chad Pennington's first few weeks to see the impact of a good running game and good defense in blowouts on a QB's numbers).

3. Nobody's drafting Bledsoe as a starter. This is a conversation about whether he's a sleeper. While Bledsoe is highly unlikely to be a top-5 QB, he is much less likely to bust completely than guys like Boller.

I know this has become cliche, but IF the line can keep Bledsoe upright a fair amount of the time, he can definitely be a great value play this year. Solid #2, that went real late in my last draft. I wasn't seeing it earlier this offseason, but I'm starting to drink the Kool-Aid.

Also, I wouldn't write off Boller so quickly. One of my favorite strategies in FF is to wait as long as possible, then pick up 3 upside QBs. It's worked nearly every year. Even if one doesn't necessarily "blow up," you've still got a real solid RB and WR stable to rely on.

(Oh, and in case you're wondering who the third one is, it's Harrington. ;) )
All 3 are on my list of sleepers in this order - Harrington, Bledsoe, and Boller. The only problem with Boller is the hype on him now is probably going to kill his draft value. Chances are he'll do better than last year, but this is the Ravens and I don't think can ever count on good passing performances. At least with Bledsoe you know he's going to get a chance to throw the ball and now just be a caretaker QB.

Dallas has been and will continue to be a black hole for QB's. They are just patching holes with has been and never was players. Given, sometimes these guys have big games, but they don't seem to be developing their players, just signing someone else's retreads.

Bledsoe will have a decent year and will be a middle of the road player, but I see him getting injured or benched by Parcells somewhere down the line.
Dallas wasn't a black hole for Testeverde, who finished #16. If I can get those kind of numbers out of my backup QB who I picked in the 14th round I'll be very happy. If a 40 year old Testeverde can do that for the Cowboys, I don't see why Bledsoe at 33 couldn't. Regarding Bledsoe getting injured, I don't he it very likely since he's a statue at QB and never runs. The only way he gets injured it a freak tackle with him going out of bounds (like in 2001) or if the OL can stop the rush long enough for him to throw the ball. With Witten and Jones I think he'll have enough dump off options to keep that from happening.

Regarding Bledsoe getting injured, I don't he it very likely since he's a statue at QB and never runs. The only way he gets injured it a freak tackle with him going out of bounds (like in 2001) or if the OL can stop the rush long enough for him to throw the ball. With Witten and Jones I think he'll have enough dump off options to keep that from happening.
Whitten should definitely help, but I thought the book on Bledsoe was that he just hung onto the ball too long waiting for his WRs to get deep? If Glenn's jets aren't working, or Morgan struggles, he may still get blasted a lot. :(

Regarding Bledsoe getting injured, I don't he it very likely since he's a statue at QB and never runs. The only way he gets injured it a freak tackle with him going out of bounds (like in 2001) or if the OL can stop the rush long enough for him to throw the ball. With Witten and Jones I think he'll have enough dump off options to keep that from happening.
Whitten should definitely help, but I thought the book on Bledsoe was that he just hung onto the ball too long waiting for his WRs to get deep? If Glenn's jets aren't working, or Morgan struggles, he may still get blasted a lot. :(
Look for Witten and Jones to catch A LOT of balls.

* Wed, Aug 3 o As previous Cowboys' quarterback Vinny Testaverde discovered early last summer, current Cowboys' quarterback Drew Bledsoe has quickly learned that tight end Jason Witten is a valuable asset in the passing game, head coach Bill Parcells told the Dallas Morning News. VIEW: It's no surprise that Bledsoe has picked up on Witten's obvious talent, but we printed this news as a bit of reassurance for fantasy owners who will be looking to grab Jason in their drafts. (Fanball.com)

I still haven't seen this answered satisfactorily: Why should Bledsoe do that much better in Dallas this year than he did in Buffalo the last two years?

Picked up Bledsoe to add to my stable of quarterbacks, with Brees and Griese. Trying to work out some sort of QBBC - I'm definitely not going to start Bledsoe against Washington but there are a few weeks where he might be worth taking a look at. There is some definite upside with Bledsoe, especially with Parcells pulling the strings in Dallas.Here is his schedule, if anything, he could make a good alternative for weeks 3 and 4 (San Fran and Oakland). I'm taking more of a wait and see attitude but I figured it was worth a gamble. Perhaps against different teams in the softer NFC divisions Bledsoe might post some decent numbers.Sep 11 @San Diego Won 28-24 Sep 19 Washington 9:00pm Sep 25 @San Francisco 4:05pm 714 Oct 2 @Oakland 4:15pm 714 Oct 9 Philadelphia 4:15pm 713 Oct 16 N.Y. Giants 1:00pm 711 Oct 23 @Seattle 4:05pm 708 Oct 30 Arizona 1:00pm 706 Week 9 BYE Nov 14 @Philadelphia 9:00pm Nov 20 Detroit 1:00pm 710 Nov 24 Denver 4:15pm Dec 4 @N.Y. Giants 1:00pm 713 Dec 11 Kansas City 4:15pm 712 Dec 18 @Washington 1:00pm 708 Dec 24 @Carolina 1:00pm 709 Jan 1 St. Louis 8:30pm

I still haven't seen this answered satisfactorily: Why should Bledsoe do that much better in Dallas this year than he did in Buffalo the last two years?
Historically, Bledsoe gets in trouble the more he throws and when he tries to throw deep a lot. Parcells is keeping him in check by limiting his throws by running the ball as much as possible and having him focus on short to medium range passes rather than trying to hit a home run all the time.

Historically, Bledsoe gets in trouble the more he throws and when he tries to throw deep a lot. Parcells is keeping him in check by limiting his throws by running the ball as much as possible and having him focus on short to medium range passes rather than trying to hit a home run all the time.
I still dont get the knock on the guy. Hes thrown for almost as many yards as Vinny, yet hes 10 years younger. He's thrown for 4k 3 times already.If the emergence of Crayton continues and the two old heads Key and Glenn stay healthy I can honestly see him throwing for almost 4k again. I drafted him with my last pick, 12 team redraft.

Also if you think Bledsoe is too old to come back and have another great year, take a look at what Testeverde did at the same age (33) after switching team to Baltimore:

4177 yards, 33 TD/19 INT
As a Bills fan, all I have to say is...ROFL!!!
Still laughing?

I don't have the stats, but as a longtime Pats fan and remembering well his 2002 year on the Bills, he puts up all his numbers in the 1st half of a season. He can be an outstanding QB (FF-wise, too) through October. It's November and on in which he's no good. Game film catches up to him like no other. He's the prototype sell-high QB.

I don't have the stats, but as a longtime Pats fan and remembering well his 2002 year on the Bills, he puts up all his numbers in the 1st half of a season. He can be an outstanding QB (FF-wise, too) through October. It's November and on in which he's no good. Game film catches up to him like no other. He's the prototype sell-high QB.
Have to agree, but being in Dallas should help. He'll probably struggle during the cold games at NY and Wash. in December. Still, he has a fairly decent schedule as far as playing where it's cold with only 3 away games after Nov. 14.

The thing people forget about Bledsoe is that he's never ranked lower than 21st in his career except for the year he was injured in 2001.  He does make some stupid mistakes and isn't mobile, which turns a lot of people off to him, but he ends up with decent numbers. 

Amazing how things can change only after two months.

Amazing how things can change only after two months.
:yes:

Have to agree, but being in Dallas should help. He'll probably struggle during the cold games at NY and Wash. in December. Still, he has a fairly decent schedule as far as playing where it's cold with only 3 away games after Nov. 14.
I was right about him against the Giants and just hope I was wrong when he plays at the Redskins this weekend.

I know this has become cliche, but IF the line can keep Bledsoe upright a fair amount of the time, he can definitely be a great value play this year. Solid #2, that went real late in my last draft. I wasn't seeing it earlier this offseason, but I'm starting to drink the Kool-Aid.

Also, I wouldn't write off Boller so quickly. One of my favorite strategies in FF is to wait as long as possible, then pick up 3 upside QBs. It's worked nearly every year. Even if one doesn't necessarily "blow up," you've still got a real solid RB and WR stable to rely on.

(Oh, and in case you're wondering who the third one is, it's Harrington. ;) )
i guess one out of three isn't bad. :bag:

In the last 3 weeks, Boller is the #13 QB, and that's including games against Cincinatti and Denver. With Green Bay and Minnesota up in the next two weeks, he could easily be a productive player for someone who's lost a starter.

I was right about him against the Giants and just hope I was wrong when he plays at the Redskins this weekend.
Giants - 146 yards, 1 TD/2 INTRedskins - 153 yards, 1 TD/3 INT

It's like clockwork with Bledsoe on the road in the cold.

Users who are viewing this thread